[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are translator notes ever acceptable?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

Are translator notes ever acceptable?
>>
>>153238936
Yes
>>
>>153238936
Yes. But that's not one such instance.
>>
Yes, but they are tricky because you have to make them short enough to read without pausing and you need to avoid overusing them. I prefer short translator notes over changing the wording to avoid confusion.

They're just one of the areas where you really feel how amateur fan translations are.
>>
Just add an extra sub track without TL notes for nerds who get angry over them and problem solved.
>>
>>153238936
Depends.
I don't mind them if they were to include a translator note explaining some abstract Japanese slang or something that would have otherwise gone over my head as a western viewer.

In an instance such as this where you can garner the information yourself through context clues, it's not really necessary.
>>
Yes, but they should be avoided unless they are absolutely necessary.
>>
File: best goddamn TL note ever.jpg (48KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
best goddamn TL note ever.jpg
48KB, 1280x720px
>>153238936
Yes.
>>
>>153238936
No
>T/N: That's Spanish for no

On a more serious note, they're appropriate to quickly explain something that may not be common knowledge to viewers, especially if it's of vital importance for understanding the plot. Something like in the pic you posted is appropriate.
>>
Yes. I used to learn a lot through TL notes. However, random comments like
>TL note: she's best girl
is unacceptable
>>
>>153241926
>Something like in the pic you posted is appropriate.
I disagree. One, it's not something that was explained for the original audience, and they are less likely to know than western viewers. Two, the note doesn't explain anything that couldn't be glossed from the normal dialogue itself.
>>
Geigagu means blan :DDDDD
>>
>>153241926
>Something like in the pic you posted is appropriate.
The fuck it's not. Do you think Murrican TV shows should have liner notes on the top o the screen too? Do you think nip audiences are more familiar with that reference than English speakers?
>>
>>153238936
yes because Japanese cannot always be translated to English while retaining the same meaning.

Like in Haifuri where the German girl refers to herself as "Washi." There is no real proper way to translate this to English, the best course of action would've of been just to use a T/L note.
>>
>>153242434
>Japanese cannot always be translated to English
don't tell daiz :^))))

fuck that thread last night was a shitshow
>>
>>153242470
What thread?
>>
>>153242434
Characters that talk in slightly quirky ways are super common everywhere though.
>>
File: Screenshot_2014-12-28-06-08-30.png (1MB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2014-12-28-06-08-30.png
1MB, 1280x800px
>>
>>153242530
>>153232754

also check the comments on fff's ep 5 of Gabriel Dropout on nyaa if you want to see mods being 300% unethical patting each other on the back
>>
>>153238936
They're accepted when they give useful information or trivia. But I've used Turkish subs for 5 years. I've seen some shit. Translator laughing, explaining the joke, making a (shitty) joke. That's when I started to learn Japanese.
>>
>>153242091
I like those TL notes though. It's nice when the fansubber has fun.
>>
>>153242600
Fansubs in languages other than English or Chinese are almost always crosstranslations from the above or 90% guess subs.
>>
File: 019.png (206KB, 1797x1300px) Image search: [Google]
019.png
206KB, 1797x1300px
>>153238936
Occasionally
If you have shit that strait up doesn't translate into another language or doesn't retain its meaning then okay

Names of things are also acceptable the easiest example being Zanpakuto in Bleach where knowing the meaning of the name helps out
>>
I don't really miss pointless fansubs like this

The worst is when they put the fansubs at the end of the episode. Anime is not a book.
>>
>>153242716
Shit how did I write fansubs instead of TL notes twice
>>
>>153238936
who ever did the gintama one like 12 years back was alright, only when its an absurdly japanese reference that the joke would be lost without is when tl notes are good, or anything thats just really japanese.
>>
>>153238936
Not if they're in the subs
>>
>>153242590
Jesus christ it's like a cult over there. How do they even call themselves translators? Since when has it been okay to mistranslate something in an effort to make it funnier? Might as well slap [REWRITE] onto the end of the file name, since preserving and communicating the intent and meaning from the original work clearly isn't their goal.
>>
>>153242847
>How do they even call themselves translators?
There's only one person in that thread that's a translator
>>
>>153242434
There is absolutely nothing in any language that cannot be rendered accurately in another language by a competent writer without the use of translator notes.

Also honorifics are cancer among subs.
>>
>>153238936
No.
>>
I actually think that kitchen sink rewrite works pretty well
>>
>>153242434
>>153242470
>>153242590
>>153242847
Round 2 started and the guy who Daiz was afraid to respond to and who made all the meme cartel guys assmad is back to spank Daiz again.
>>153243083
>>
>>153242434
just insert eagle puns
>>
>>153243421
Oh jesus fuck Daiz is still trying
>>
>>153244807
He's not doing so well.
>>
>>153244885
I didn't say he was winning.

If fansubs weren't dead this shitshow wouldn't be happening
>>
File: 1398102396083.jpg (296KB, 1000x978px) Image search: [Google]
1398102396083.jpg
296KB, 1000x978px
>>153242306
>Do you think nip audiences are more familiar with that reference than English speakers?
IDK, with all the references to philosophical shit and trivial historical knowledge these children's cartoons make, I thought it was fair to assume the Japanese education system focuses a lot more on facts and trivia than Western feelings based systems.
>>
>>153241892
This. That was objectively the best way to handle that scene.
>>
>>153246172
That note is fine. It's something you can't translate around or otherwise represent in any other way.

Most translation notes don't do this.
>>
>>153238936
Yes, very much so but it's shit like your example which has fansubbers so fucking afraid of throwing in a non-ironic translator note to easily explain a concept that is assumed you knew beforehand by show.
>>
>it's an autists complain about fansubbers despite not speaking japanese again episode

Obviously meme TL notes are just plain dumb, but some shit is just literally untranslateable. For most things like catchphrases and puns etc, I'd rather just have a quick TL note explain it, rather than have the translator localize it, and then have to change the catchphrase every time because of the context, rendering the fact that it's a catchphrase obsolete.
>>
>>153238936
I prefer accuracy over flow. Explanations of puns, or facts essential to understanding a line like in your example are ones that I like. I prefer having the meaning of the words rather than losing the meaning in exchange for a better flow. There are also things which are entirely impossible to translate in a sub, like honorifics, or words like onii or onee let alone trying to distinguish between honorifics on those words. If you don't know what they mean, the only way I see to translate them is TL notes.

Basically, any meaning that cannot (and should) be explained in reasonably proper english needs something else to explain it. TL notes accomplish this explanation.
>>
>>153248041
>facts essential to understanding a line like in your example are ones that I like
Explain what the note explained that isn't already implied by the dialogue.
>>
>>153248307
What note? It's clear the anon you replied too is talking about notes in general, not the one in the OP.
>>
>>153248684
>like in your example
Don't see how you can't understand that.
>>
>>153248041
So do you want liner notes in your Hollywood movies too?
>>
God yes, Detective Conan is massively helped by them because you literally cannot understand what the fuck is going on without them.
>>
>>153248754
Okay, I just skimmed through his post. Sorry.
I still agree with
>Explanations of puns, or facts essential to understanding
though, OP pic is just not one of those cases.
>>
>>153248878
Unless the specifics of the pun is extremely important, or there's a visual element to it that heavily restricts it to something very specific, there's really nothing wrong with just replacing the words being punned on with shit that's a pun in English.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.