[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you consider a "cartoony anime" and why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

Some anons say LWA is "western style" because it's "western style", but there are no American cartoons that look like it UNLESS they're "anime-style" already.

However, while not "western style", I'd say LWA is "cartoony" which IMO means deforming things in an irreverent/comical way. It doesn't matter if it's a Japanese tradition of exaggeration or a Western one. A show can have the anime-est core designs, but if it's full of irreverent and/or funny deformation then to me it's "cartoony".

How do you feel?
>>
File: hitler1.jpg (196KB, 448x662px) Image search: [Google]
hitler1.jpg
196KB, 448x662px
I guess the OP should apply to manga too.

Tezuka manga is extremely cartoony author not just because his designs are inspired by Disney Donald/Mickey/Scrooge etc comic books and Fleischer cartoons but because he also deforms them comically.
>>
Anime is cartoons.
>>
>>153238337
This show made me realise that i miss character designs that doesn't look "anime attractive" if that makes sence.
It reminds me of the wife in the Shining, that made me realise how i came to expect attractive people in movies.
>>
>>153238772
Wendy was adorable.
>>
>>153238772
>i miss character designs that doesn't look "anime attractive" if that makes sence.
LWA isn't "anime attractive" to you?
Then I can only assume you don't watch a lot of anime, because that level of deviation is actually relatively common.
>>
>>153240138
I think he means that kind of deformed expressivity, many characters still look attractive and composed even while they're overreacting or being put through weird situations.
>>
File: 1479085578462.jpg (257KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1479085578462.jpg
257KB, 1080x1080px
>>153240377
And I still think he doesn't watch a lot of anime.
>>
>>153240428
Yeah, but Amanchu and Aria go to the other extreme of superdeformation (hahiface>dekkai>kinshi, by the way), same with those hyperrealistic faces used for comedic purposes. In shows like LWA or early Gainax the westaboo influence is strong and the transition between wacky faces and their default faces feels smoother.
>>
>>153238337
People are just confused and disoriented by the presence of animation. Too used to cardboard people.
>>
>>153238337
deformed expressions during moments of heightened emotion were common as fuck during the pre-2000 era and even still stuck around for a good damn while during the 2000-2007 post golden age.

You fuckers has just gotten so used to the stiff sterile shit they pump out damn near every anime season that anything beyond it is considered /co/.
>>
>>153240590
Honestly I think one of the main problems anime has had over the years is the gradual move away from stretch and squash. I think a lot of it is a result of newer animators not being familiar with classical techniques.
>>
>>153240138
>I can only assume you don't watch a lot of anime
This, it's a stupid topic. Anime is anime.
>>
>>153240628
Looking past framerates, the nature of stuff like character movement has changed. The timing and the motions themselves are different, like how much weight and momentum are taken into account.
>>
File: amanchu.png (248KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
amanchu.png
248KB, 640x640px
Does anybody else get this result or is it just my personal search history?
>>
>Some anons say LWA is "western style" because it's "western style", but there are no American cartoons that look like it UNLESS they're "anime-style" already.

I've never read a stupid fucking sentence that managed to create such a circular logical error as this one.
>>
>>153240723
it's an indicator of how retarded OP is, and that further discussion about his topic will just lead to shitposting.

Also, OP first needs to graduate high school before he's allowed to browse 4chan. No one alive uses "irreverent" as a part of their everyday vocabulary unless they had just learned it from their English class. Even then they're fucking using it incorrectly given the context of the sentence.
>>
It's Trigger style, dipshit.
>>
>>153238337
>anything past stiff images with moving mouths and arms is now "cartoony"
>OP implying that anime and cartoons are different when anime is literally just cartoons made in japan, and anime is just a fucking shorthand for 'animation'

are you retarded?
>>
>>153240866
Well he's talking about the difference between /a/ content and /co/ content. The way he phrased it is retarded though.
>>
>>153240910
except there's no difference in terms of what OP is talking about.

Animation is universal, squash and stretch is literally a fundamental to animation, it's not just exclusive to western animation.

if you're talking about a difference to /co/ content and /a/ content, it would be episode format, presentation, story + tropes/cliches, and art style. All of which OP is not even talking about.

Unless OP is retarded enough to imply that the animation of deforming characters to further drive an emotion is an "art style exclusive to cartoons"
>>
>>153241020
I think that's what OP meant, looking beyond his retarded post.
>>
>>153238337
"style" goes beyond looks.
>>
File: 1485238658773.png (738KB, 990x798px) Image search: [Google]
1485238658773.png
738KB, 990x798px
>>153238337
>I'd say LWA is "cartoony" which IMO means deforming things in an irreverent/comical way
>Squash and stretch is the sole determinant of "cartoony" style
>>
File: 2864181-panty_and_stocking_2.jpg (138KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2864181-panty_and_stocking_2.jpg
138KB, 1280x720px
>ctrl+F Panty and Stocking
>0 search results
I am dissappoint
>>
>>153241799
No one cares about your old, obscure shit.
>>
>>153241826
Stupid idiot.
>>
>>153238772
but the wife in the shining is cute af
>>
The animatio is very western-ish in this show. The characters are always moving and making faces even when there's no need for it. Anime is generally like japanese movies: the characters are very stoic when they talk, they don't make a lot of gestures like westerners. Here all the characters look non-japanese in the way they move.
I'm sure whatever studio animated this intended to sell it to the west.
>>
>>153238337
>How do you feel?
It's just a fucking anime.
>>
>>153238337
It's western style because trigger is the westaboo studio.
>>
>>153244400
Well they did pretty much get the second special funded due to kickstarter
>>
>>153244363
>we animated this in order to seel it to the minority
Epic, just epic.
>>
>>153238337
anime is anime you moron
>>
>>153240628
Staying on model is cheaper than playing with the model, you can trace and recycle more.
>>
File: 1416865639456.jpg (40KB, 550x556px) Image search: [Google]
1416865639456.jpg
40KB, 550x556px
>>153241826
>PSG
>obscure
>>
>>153238337
I think the reason LWA is usually called western style is not because of its animation but because of how it's written. So far it seems to be putting in tropes and storylines that are commonly found in western animation, which gives it a western feel. It also helps that in some ways it feels like a kids show, and since most anime fans tend to skip Japanese kid shows their only frame of reference are the kids shows from their past. Thusly leading to the connection being enforced.
>>
>>153238337
anime is cartoons
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.