[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are there so many anime/manga series that focus on high school

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: duggo.jpg (21KB, 209x231px) Image search: [Google]
duggo.jpg
21KB, 209x231px
Why are there so many anime/manga series that focus on high school life? Is high school super important in Japan?
>>
Something about being the best time of your life.
>>
Japanese work culture is awful. Japan literally has a word for working yourself to death, "karōshi"

Also, even for Westerners, high school and college are probably the best times of your life.
>>
Maybe it's because everyone went through high school so it's the most easily relatable period?
>>
File: 1486006611005.jpg (34KB, 848x477px) Image search: [Google]
1486006611005.jpg
34KB, 848x477px
>>153225907
>Also, even for Westerners, high school and college are probably the best times of your life
>heavy depression throughout those times
I see...
>>
File: 1419459215787.jpg (177KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1419459215787.jpg
177KB, 1280x720px
>>153225727
People like it and its super easy to write. You all of a sudden have a setting where your characters are forced to interact every day. There are 'fun at work' anime too but everybody knows that work fucking sucks and it just reminds them of their own shitty job. High school, for most people, actually IS fun and they remember it fondly. So you have a convenient setting, nostalgia fuel and cute uniforms all bundled into one. Uniforms also make it so animators don't have to keep redrawing different outfits, but I don't think that has as much to do with it.
>>
>>153225990
High schoolers are probably the biggest market for many genre. You can reuse tropes and moeshit on the younger generation.
>>
>>153225727
In the beginning it was like >>153225803 and >>153225907 said
>the best time of your life
and also because the principal target of the medium were student.
But right now, giving the fact that school and college became even more competitive than work, it's just because you have a easy way to introduce the reader, since it's something that everyone has gone to, and because most of the plot pint and a lot of successful trope are already tested.
And now I'm going to sleep
>>
On top of what everyone else has said, it's also easy to script social interactions in a high school setting.
>>
>>153225727
japan as a whole prefer Slice of Life genre to anything else. Since most manga is geared to school aged kids then of course most of them will focus on high school. The age of Adolescence is also handled pretty seriously in Japan as they understand this is the most delicate and essential part to humans growing up.
>>
>>153225727
Kids are more likely to want to buy Taiwanese cartoons.

Highschoolers, by virtue of being employable, can actually purchase said taiwanese cartoons.

As a result, they're the most ideal targets for marketing to.
>>
>>153226137
>>153226142
The are the real answers. The average "real worker" is Japan isn't any more overworked than the average American corporate stooge. They work an average of 40 hours overtime a month, that's a 50 hour work week. Anyone who's had a real job can tell you that's not a lot.
>>
How many times a year do we need this fuckign thterejiheasd
>>
>>153225727
after high school you get cucked into oblivion
>>
>>153226221
That's true but a lot of Japanese workers end up spending a lot more time at the office than what they're paid for. It sounds cruel but they really do it to themselves.
>>
>>153225907
Yeah, no. I was popular in high school and had a great time, but there's no way I'd even consider placing that above the last nine years where I've been a father and husband.
>>
>>153225727
For losers who will be doing "blue-collar" jobs after school, high school and college is as good as it's going to get.

For people who are actually studying difficult subjects and going for good high paying jobs high school and college may not have been so great what with actually working towards something instead of just working on your social life.

At college at least you can only really do 2 of these three things effectively.

Study
Social Life
Stay in shape/Workout

I've yet to see someone do all 3 for more than a single quarter.

And those were usually people with joke majors.
>>
File: I don't belong here.gif (310KB, 500x260px) Image search: [Google]
I don't belong here.gif
310KB, 500x260px
>>153225803
>mfw it was the worst time of my life
Glad that's over.
>>
>>153226679
Yeah high school for me was awful.

College was a lot better.
>>
>>153225803
College is the best time of your life. I miss college so much. I was able to pass for a normalfag so easily back then
>>
>>153226606
Look at this faggot, succeeding in life and enjoying himself! Go die, riajuu!
>>
>>153226679
>>153226752
Pretty much the same deal for otaku, which is why high school anime are escapist as fuck. Also a lot of otaku don't go to college, so they can't empathize with stories that are set there.
>>
>>153225727
Target audience
>>
File: Smiles for days.jpg (27KB, 204x274px) Image search: [Google]
Smiles for days.jpg
27KB, 204x274px
What high school anime/manga series are you guys watching/ reading currently? I've been into Medaka Box, Anne Happy, and Gakkou Gurrashi lately. Speaking of Gakkou, the latest chapter was pretty dope
>>
>>153226875
Its why I fucking love Grand Blue. It reminds me so much of being a near alcoholic at college doing stupid shit
>>
>>153226073
You'd think by now it would be hard to write for it because it's been so overused.
>>
>>153226221
You're ignoring the environment/context by only looking at some numbers. There's a reason japs have their own word for "death by overwork".
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.