[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was he right, /a/? He did reduce the world's crime rate by 70%

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: light.jpg (978KB, 2421x1378px) Image search: [Google]
light.jpg
978KB, 2421x1378px
Was he right, /a/?
He did reduce the world's crime rate by 70%
>>
Kira did literally nothing wrong
>>
>>153217960
No, he was both evil AND stupid. Also the shit he did would only lead to anarchy and corruption if the show had portrayed the consequences realistically.
>>
>>153218734
that doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>153217960
It was an excuse to murder people.
>>
>>153218734
It did lead to anarchy and corruption though. You watched it right?
>>
>>153217960
Morally no, but in-universe where shit is different? Technically yes.
>>
>>153218769
It does, though. First of all people who commit serious crimes like murder or rape usually do it either out of calculation of net getting caught in the first place or on impulse. Death penalty barely helps there at best. Now what do you think happens if you introduce death penalty for minor crimes? A great number of people will go into hiding and erase any traces of their identity. A huge black market for anyone who can help you with that will flourish. Most authorities, e.g. police officers won't want to kill someone for such minor crimes, so they won't report it. It's also well possible that people will simply storm goverment offices and throw the whole state into anarchy to get rid of their personal data. Light is only one person, what he did only works as long as the governments coopearte with him, if there is no government anymore he is fucked.
>>
>>153217960
Does that statistic account for all of the crimes he was committing?
>>
>>153219154
You are assuming that everyone and their mom will know how Kira operates and, you know, the number of people who know what a Death Note is and how it worked could be counted with two hands.

To your average person Kira is an all-knowing god who just "knows" if you commit a crime and will punish you for doing so.

To your average people the knowledge that Kira is there and he will "judge" you is a flawless deterrent. And like OP said, he did reduce the world's crime rate by seventy percent, so it's impossible for you to say the method doesn't work.
>>
>>153219167
Light's a good boy who dindu nuffin
>>
>>153219154
Sure. The more Light tries, the harder wave of violence "without a face" would be, if people notice that some rules of "God" can be ignored.
>>
>>153217960

He wouldn't actually affect the world's crime rate that much. At most, he'd reduce the number of reported crimes, as police and victims decide not to get pot dealers and vandals murdered by a teenager with a god complex.

And even if he did, a moderate crime rate is better than living under a murder-cult dictatorship.
>>
File: confused.jpg (26KB, 239x268px) Image search: [Google]
confused.jpg
26KB, 239x268px
>>153219167
>wroting names in a book
>breaking laws
>>
>>153219646
As long as the person ends up dead, it's still murder.
>>
Real world
> Don't do that! God's watching and will strike you down!
> Haha yeah sure

Death note world
> Don't do that! Kira's watching and will strike you down
> ah. hahaha... ah... o-okay. fine.
>>
>>153219154
You overestimate people, they would be scared shitless hiding in their homes.
>>
>>153219309

The show states that he reduced the crime rate by 70%. It's not particularly believable. It's like the show saying "and the main character's solo album was so good, it ended all war!"

A drop in crime reporting and a major upswing in identity theft is more likely. Everyone would know Light wasn't infallible, because most criminals still wouldn't be caught.

Tyrants always claim that their methods work, that they and only they can make the trains run on time. But it's almost always bullshit; brutal methods just lead to corruption. Mussolini's Italy wasn't any less Italy than before, it just had a worse government.
>>
>>153219681
Taking out everyone in the same method probably makes more of an impression
>>
>>153219677
Now that's simply not true. Next you'll say throwing people to TVs are murder.
>>
>>153217960
>Not by 100%

What a loser
>>
>>153219797
It might've been 100% if he didn't get cought.
>>
>>153219677
The legal wording of murder doesn't care about the physical reality of things. All it cares about is a desire to kill and a means to do it.
>>
>>153219734

On average, 3,287 people per day die in car crashes. People still drive every day.

Light wouldn't be able to kill enough criminals to matter. He'd wind up with an internet fan club and government agents after him, but most people would pay about as much attention as they do to the human rights violations in Myanmar.
>>
>>153219677
Desire to murder!=actual murder, and that's the only evidence a book would provide until someone else tries it out for themselves.
>>
>>153219863
>a means to do it
and a book is not a means. The only way to prove that it was the murder weapon is for people to be forced to be implicit in a series of test murders.
>>
>>153219869
>most people would pay about as much attention as they do to the human rights violations in Myanmar.
He's literally killing people with a magical god smite. If that doesn't create a new world religion then nothing will.

>>153219897
"Murderous intent" is HUGE in the criminal justice system. It's why there are so many flavors of killing.
First name: Homicide
Second name: Involuntary manslaughter
Third - 999999th name: Premeditated 1st degree.
>>
>>153217960
maybe if he eliminated the bottom 70% of the world's population
>>
>>153219863
>>153219897
You're getting caught up on whether or not he'd be convicted. I'm sure that the court system wouldn't believe his magic murder book, and as a result he'd basically get away with it, but he'd still be getting away with the crime he committed. He is still a murderer, even if the courts disagree.
>>
>>153219945
>>153220006
> A book is not a murder weapon
Kid the entire premise of the show is that the notebook IS the murder weapon. You don't have to prove the science behind it, just the fact that it can kill, it has killed, and that the writer used it explicitly to kill.

All of these things can be proven to the satisfaction of a jury.
>>
Light was egotistical. His desire to decrease crime was just a cover for his own arrogance. He thought of himself as great and superior to others. The point being that if he killed major criminals stealthily,such as he did with the biker getting hit by the truck, suspicions wouldn't have been raised. But,Light WANTED people to know there was someone behind it hence why he gave tonnes of criminals heart attacks all at one time so the thought of it only being coincidence was extremely unlikely.

Light wanted to become a God. He didn't care really about the beliefs he spouted,he only wanted the power. If he truly cared about justice as he let's on to,he wouldn't have even raised suspicion on himself in the first place. It was all just his own egotistical game.
>>
>>153220000
it's not the population but the govs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rnJEdDNDsI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb5ivvcTvRQ
>>
L was a smart guy but he screwed up some very key points. For example once he learned who Kira was targeting for murder, he never bothered to set up a murder target to witness in person.

He could have locked the crook in solitary, sedated him in a hospital, stranded him on an island, etc. L could have performed dozens of experiments on the victims, and thus determined that the killing weapon was not only unusual but unreal.
>>
>>153217960
He was correct up until the point where his ego got the better of him and he started considering himself a "God".

Dont get me wrong, I'd use a Death Note for the exact same reasons as he did but I like to think that I'd only ever see myself as humanity's human waste disposal officer rather than a "God"
>>
>>153220549
>He was correct up until the point where his ego got the better of him and he started considering himself a "God".
>First episode: "I'll become the God of the new world."
>>
>>153220715
My point still stands
>>
>>153220484
Lind L Taylor

Also L would never do something like that because that's pretty fucked up to do. The best you get is Taylor because he was scheduled to be executed the next day anyway
>>
I always assumed Light would later reform the situation that caused others to commit crime, instead of punishing just the criminals themselves

>>153219154
>what he did only works as long as the governments coopearte with him, if there is no government anymore he is fucked.

Thing was governments easily supported him, and if they didn't cooperate, Light could easily blackmail like he did with the U.S president

>A great number of people will go into hiding and erase any traces of their identity

Just like the underground U.S mafia?
>>
>>153219740
>Light is Mussolini
But Light was attractive
>>
>>153219795
Bitches and whores aren't people
>>
File: Benito-Mussolini-Italy[1].jpg (77KB, 500x408px) Image search: [Google]
Benito-Mussolini-Italy[1].jpg
77KB, 500x408px
>>153222025
>mussolini wasn't attractive
>>
>>153220096
If I got a magic notebook I'd want people to know too
>start killing people
>choose a notorious criminal
>have him make a video announcing my manifest through him
>dies on camera
>have someone upload it and then die
>use this method everytime I need to announce something
>announce myself as an eternal goddess of death that awakened from her slumber and is here to save humanity
>fap to the inevitable waves of h-fanart
>>
File: (you).jpg (163KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
(you).jpg
163KB, 1600x1000px
>>153222468
>goddess
>>
>>153222518
I'm a guy but I want erotic fanart of Kira-chan
>>
>>153222289
How many lovers did this guy have again?
>>
>>153220811
>Thing was governments easily supported him, and if they didn't cooperate, Light could easily blackmail like he did with the U.S president
Doesn't matter if the government gets overthrown. Why should policemen or soldiers even work for a state like that? An unknown stranger forcing governments to execute people would likely lead to revolutions everywhere. What stops the military from unseating the political leaders and establishing a military dictatorship without revealing any personal information? What stops a random mob of people from doing the same?
>>
>>153223839
Yeah too many risks
That's why you just use it to fuck around
>first day
>have 3 famous politicians from different countries die simultaneously by slipping on a banana peel
>later 2 famous celebrities die simultaneously from tripping on their shoelaces
>finally one famous journalist dies from being hit by lightning
>>
>>153217960
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_Rouge
It's dictatorship. To read about red khmers and Pol Pot.

He was wrong.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.