[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I watched this last night and thought it's one of the best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7

File: perfect-blue.379.jpg (261KB, 1200x1788px) Image search: [Google]
perfect-blue.379.jpg
261KB, 1200x1788px
I watched this last night and thought it's one of the best thrillers I've seen in a long time.
>>
We never got to see the best of Satoshi Kon, he died before he got to make it. People will say it's Paprika but he was still learning, would he be alive today he would blow Miyazaki and Shinkai out of the water. RIP.
>>
>>153140283

Probably my favorite Kon film. You should watch Black Swan if you liked it it was heavily inspired borderline ripped off Perfect Blue.
>>
>>153140316
Is Memories any good like Paprika and Perfect Blue?
>>
>>153140546

Magnetic Rose is top notch.
>>
Perfect Blue is the best thriller I've ever seen.

>>153140546
It's really good too, but I wouldn't say its on Paprika/PB's level. Millenium Actress is also extremely good.

>>153140316
>People will say it's Paprika
Who says that
>>
No love in this thread for Tokyo Godfathers?

Kon had a flawless record. I like him much better than any other anime movie directors. Stuff actually happened during his movies (unlike Miyazaki's). He was a visionary that pushed the medium foward with every movie he made.
>>
>>153141353
Tokyo Godfathers was great, but in comparison to PB and Paprika it ranked the lowest.
>>
File: 1473907075479.png (113KB, 219x281px) Image search: [Google]
1473907075479.png
113KB, 219x281px
Objectively 10/10 track right here.
https://youtu.be/3iGGP_v31uk
>>
>>153141402
PERSONALLY Paprika was the movie I enjoyed the least of the Satoshi Kon features. Granted, it's been 8 years since last time I saw it and I was a teen, but I remember liking PB, MA and TG better even then.
>>
Surely I'm not the only one that thinks Millenium Actress is his best film. Never really liked the others much except for the music.
>>
The circlejerk around this film is hilarious. It's like the holy bible of /a/.
>>
>>153140283
I really liked the twist, but honestly I feel like Lain did the whole dementia thing better.

>>153141353
Tokyo Godfathers is my favorite by far. The others weren't really anything to write home about for me personally, but the amount of expression in Tokyo Godfathers really set it apart from the others.
>>
Millennium Actress > Tokyo Godfathers > Perfect Blue > Paranoia Agent > Paprika

>>153141745
I think EoE is the bible of /a/, not PB, and with good reason.
>>
>>153141402
Paprika is far below everything else he's done.
>>
>>153140546
>>153140316
>Paprika
What? Paprika is easily his worst film.
>>
>>153141745
Your new is showing. Perfect Blue threads barely get any replies normally and doesn't even get that many threads anyway.

Not even among the top 5 most circlejerked movies on /a/
>>
>>153141606
I always thought that Millenium Actress was his most beloved film, actually.
>>
Downloading Paranoia Agent and Millennium Actress because of your recommendations.
>>
>>153143069
>Millennium Actress
You won't regret it. Easily one of the best anime films out there.
>>
>>153142980
The number of threads and replies don't matter and they are understandably low because all people have to say is "Me too, I loved it, I love Kon!!1". Also only newfags are so keen to identify other newfags, maybe you can use a bit of lurking.
>>
>>153143327
>Gets called out
>i'm not new! y-you must be the one who's new
Truly pathetic.

And yes, the number of replies and threads do matter as it shows the number of people in the board who care and like said work. Having few threads means that just a select number of people love the film, despite it being really popular.
>>
>>153140407
Oh Lord, I have a faggish friend that keeps making that retarded baseless comparison between Perfect Blue and Black Swan. The funniest part is that he has never ever seen Black Swan!

Just explain me why would Darren Aronofsky, a director that has mentioned Satoshi Kon several times in public interviews, shamelessly "rip off" his films? IIRC he literally bought the rights for Perfect Blue, just to use the bathtub scene in Requiem for a Dream. The scene itself was a homage, not really plagiarism.

Furthermore, the plot from Black Swan is completely different from Perfect Blue. The only thing they have in common is the surreal portrayal of "dementia", which is arguably presented in a very different manner in both films as well.
>>
Tokyo Godfathers ≥ Perfect Blue > Millennium Actress ≥ Magnetic Rose > Paprika.

I sobbed like a bitch in Millennium Actress.
>>
>>153140283
Who killed the photographer, was it Rumi or Mima?
>>
>>153144828
I believe it was Rumi all along, cause she thought she was Mima
>>
>>153144828
It was all Rumi, I thought the movie made it pretty obvious at the end.
>>
>>153145213
There are several notable differences though between the photographer copping it compared to the agent and writer, so I thought to ask.
>>
>>153143476
Nope. People just have nothing to say because there's no real discussion in the thread except people patting each other on their backs for their shared tastes.
That's the exactly problem of circlejerking. Every time a thread about this show gets made, the select few circlejerkers start stroking Kon's cold dead cock immediately so the thread quickly turns into their echo chamber.
>>
File: 1447817158700.jpg (40KB, 349x379px) Image search: [Google]
1447817158700.jpg
40KB, 349x379px
>mfw Mima's farewell song during her idol concert was sung using Rumi's voice
>mfw Mima saying to the mirror "I'm the real one" was said, once again, using Rumi's voice
>>
Rank satoshi movies

1. Perfect blue (my favourite anime movie)
2. Tokyo godfathers
3. Millennium actress
4. Paprika (actually disliked apart from the visuals)
>>
Why does it always seem like there are so many people who dislike Paprika, not just like it the least, but actively dislike it?
>>
>>153145751
convoluted Amd Nonsensical, Perfect Blue and millennium Actress explore the same themes and pull it off alot better
>>
>>153145751
Because it was not as good as the others, and the pure waifu soils herself with the fat guy.

There is very little relatable about it. Magnetic Rose gives you dread; Tokyo godfathers gives you warmth and hope: Perfect Blue gives you fear and uncertainty; Millennium actress gives you nostalgia and bittersweet feelings; Paprika is very colourful and stuff, and the girl makes my peepee feel strange.
>>
>>153146044
You mean you couldn't relate to the guy who wanted to be a filmmaker?
>>
>>153146103
Yeah and I think others had the same issue. Compare him as a surrogate to the documentary film maker in MA.
>>
>>153141353
Stuff also happened in Miyazaki's movies, and he was also a visionary who pushed the medium forward. I don't understand the need for a dig here.
>>
>that scene

my stomach just curled up I swear
>>
File: millennium_actress.jpg (212KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
millennium_actress.jpg
212KB, 800x600px
Millennium Actress was top shit. Still one of my favorite movies.
>>
>>153146592
Which?
>>
>>153146768
There's only one scene like that in Perfect Blue.
>>
>>153146559
I find Miyazaki movies boring as fuck. That's it.
>>
>>153146592
>>153146768
im assuming the fake rape scene.
one of the few times a rape scene has had a positive impact on the plot without ot feeling cheep or vile.
its disturbing because it needs to be, she isnt physically violated but the mental trauma and humiliation fuckes her up just as much
>>
>>153146913
was it rape? I mean that's what fucked me up. I couldn't tell. Was it for real, or was it not? From that point on in the movie, I was unable to tell reality from fiction.
>>
File: mpv-shot0011.jpg (185KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0011.jpg
185KB, 1920x1080px
>>153144789

i really REALLY liked Magnetic Rose, downloading all of them now anon

Don't let me down
>>
>>153147048
Thats the thing, It feels so real, and the traumatic outcome is just as harsh.
you can see her dead eyes as shes required to repeat the scene untill they get it right, and then shes made to degrade herself by posing nude in magazines because now shes tarnished herself, thats what shes expected to do.
>>
>>153147308
Yeah but.... WAS it real?

the sleazy director, he was talking about doing something that would shock and get a "REAL" effect, so do you think he actually made her get raped in order to get that?

He even apologizes to himself for what he's doing, and the look on her face is so real and perfect you can't tell if she's "acting" or not.

10/10 film, I'm still horrified
>>
>>153146592
>>153146768
>>153146835
>Full of very disturbing gore scenes
>People think rape is worse
Americans, I swear.
>>
>>153147380
It wasn't really rape, it only looked like it. Thing is that she felt ashamed and tarnished because all her family and friends were watching.
>>
>>153145213
No, it's deliberately ambiguous.
>>
>>153144828
It has to be Mima
>>
>>153146872
Miyazaki is a bit of a hack really. He only gets fame because his movies are beautifully animated, as actual movies they are very hit and miss.
>>
>>153147469
I think it was mentally a real rape.
>>
>>153147744
He gets fame because he inspired an entire generation of directors.
He's a good director.
>>
>>153147744
That's a load of bullshit, he's famous because he's an excellent filmmaker with the privilege of having marketing push his name internationally.
>>
>>153147403
Vocal distress and misery is much more disturbing than seeing the dead insides of a corpse.
>>
>>153149583
>Vocal distress and misery
Except these things are also expressed in gore scenes in the film.

Getting raped is also the better option when compared to being killed.
>>
File: 1481845691720.jpg (85KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1481845691720.jpg
85KB, 1280x720px
just finished watching

hold the fuck up

throughout the whole movie i thought the point was, that through all that mental trauma, alter-mima was born in the rape scene and existed to take revenge upon those who created alter-mima, all those who drove her into madness.

she kills through split personality.

but the ending scene completely disregards that and tells us the fat agent is behind all of this. fuck satoshi kon. made up a whole theory just to be proven wrong at the very end. need to resit the whole movie again wtf.
>>
>>153149954
I know you don't like liberals and their cries of rape at everything, but trying to downplay it is stupid no matter how you look at it.
>>
>>153150335
>alter-mima was born in the rape scene
Don't you remember the agent's reaction?

You're not totally wrong.
>>
>>153149954
How would you know, for real though?
>>
>>153149954
Fair enough, and I don't disagree, but for me, in comparison to the gore seen in a bunch of other media, and to other rape scenes that I've seen (admittedly not many), this one stood out thanks to the voice actress' performance, which even disregarding its effect on Mima is saying something in the context of the film's plot considering it was simulated. Hearing people suffer has always affected me more than any violence.
>>
>>153150762
>Downplay it
It's simply logic, getting dicked is better than getting killed. No way around it.
>>
>>153150335
except at the end Rumi's insanity transfered over to Mima. The very last line in the movie is said by Mima except the voice actress is Rumi's.

>>153149954
People don't have to live being constantly reminded that they were killed. People who were raped on the other hand have to live with that kind of trauma, and most rarely ever gets over it.
>>
>>153150335
the entire movie is sharing Mima's perspective on her slip into psychosis. She grows an obsession over her past that is seemingly continuing to live a life of her own and is unsure about what is and isn't reality due to tireless work on Double Bind.

One scene in particular to note, is where we seemingly see Mima kill the photographer that was taking gravure shots of her naked body. The very next scene we see Mima wake up and see that the photographer died, and then she checks her closet to see what appears to be the murder weapon and the disguise worn during the killing. The reality of the situation however is that it was Rumi who in fact killed the photographer, and the clothes and murder weapon we see in Mima's room is actually just props from Double Bind. Mima simply convinces herself that it was in fact herself who had killed the photographer because she is envisioning the scene she played in Double Bind as her own reality.
>>
>>153150335
You're not totally wrong, both rumi and mima were suffering from severe dissociative identity disorder. Consider the concept of the movie mima is acting in, double bind. The definition of double bind is a situation in which a person is confronted with two irreconcilable demands or a choice between two undesirable courses of action. Mima is uncertain with her acting career after that rape scene but also doesn't want to return to her idol days, she's constantly arguing about how she's not an idol, she's an actress. Every confrontation with her idol self when the idol says "mami is an idol" she responds with "mami is an actress" then at the end she yells (can't remember the exact phrase) that she is who she is, so as to say she's not buying into that false narrative anymore. If you don't pay attention you'll miss that even at the start of the movie Rumi is living vicariously through mima when one of the other agents talks about her failed idol career, and her constant resistance to mima's acting career. Mima is "raped" wearing white with red in the background, white representing purity, red the furthering of descent into insanity, this is enough to break rumi and invokes a massive turn for mima as well. It's after this point rumi even encourages mima's acting career.

The events of the film are somewhat straight forward in my opinion if you know what to look for (outside of the murders) but the ending is the real mind fuck. Mima saves Rumi while she most strongly represents her idol self, the wig is taken off and rumi is in an asylum with amnesia as if herself was lost, Mima then gets in a red car (red emerging whenever insanity rears it's head in this movie), she looks at herself in the mirror, and mima says "I know I'm the real one"......... with rumi's VA delivering the line.

So, this movie is basically a circle of "but this just raises further questions".
>>
File: 1436133276049.png (276KB, 466x604px) Image search: [Google]
1436133276049.png
276KB, 466x604px
>Makoto Shinkai had enough time to make Your Name after his successful 5CM Per Second
It makes me extremely mad that Satoshi Kon couldn't release his 201x movie
>>
>>153151541
>People don't have to live being constantly reminded that they were killed. People who were raped on the other hand have to live with that kind of trauma, and most rarely ever gets over it.

I know (assume) you had good intentions with this comment, but ultimately, it is a very harmful thing to say. There are millions of people that survived rape and managed to find happiness later in life. Imagine how these people would feel if someone told them that death is better than a life of post-rape. Likewise, many rape victims trying to recover hear these types of thing and it could push them to actually do something regretful, like suicide. You should really be more careful of what you say.
>>
>>153151994
it's just a different perspective in the value of rape over death.

>You should really be more careful of what you say.
if I really were that cautious about it then I wouldn't have said what I said in the first place, dumbass. However our little exchange did offer better insight upon my opinion and realize that it would be wrong of my assuming such a thing over rape victims that death would've been a better option for them. But to say getting raped over getting killed is the preferred option is fucking stupid, both are equally traumatizing to anyone involved.
>>
>>153147469
We can't tell damnit. It could have been a real rape.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.