[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Pet peeves in modern anime Gradient overlays and Bloom

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: how to ruin your visuals.png (607KB, 900x1118px) Image search: [Google]
how to ruin your visuals.png
607KB, 900x1118px
ITT: Pet peeves in modern anime

Gradient overlays and Bloom needs to die.
>>
I hate to agree with people who have pet peeves.
But I agree.
>>
Bloom should just fuck off 90% of the cases. It almost always looks like shit.
>>
>>152862672
>Gradient overlays and Bloom needs to die.

As should GoHands green+purple hue overlays along with Silver Link's abuse of chromatic aberration (as seen in StB).
>>
>>152862672
I agree OP
>>
>>152862672
you need to have a reason for the gradient, such as dark room, in that case gradiant > everything dark

bloom, you need the right reason to use it too. like coming out of a dark area into a bright one, and it fades quick.

the abuse of these needs to end that's for sure, but use is not bad.
>>
I prefer gradients to actual dark scenes because dark scenes reveal all the dust and smudges on my computer monitor
>>
>>152866421
Get yourself a maid.
>>
File: Image_101.png (338KB, 746x269px) Image search: [Google]
Image_101.png
338KB, 746x269px
>>152866421
>>152866375
Gradients are shit because they have an established "shadow" tone but they just overlay it with a black gradient to convey darkness than actually celshading it. Which gives the lighter midtones a disgusting black sooty overlay.
>>
>>152867845
in the dark, where shit is actually dark and there is no light, it's more like the gradient then the shadow.

I'm talking more of dark room or night, where a definitive light source is not around and at best everything is illuminated by bounce light, i greatly prefer the gradient to making the entire scene just as dark for us as it is for the character.
>>
>>152867845
except there are some instances where a gradient overlay isn't shit.

Plenty of directors uses gradient overlays to force where the eye should look. The vignette effect itself is commonly used so that the eye can stay contained within the imagery and not outside it.

It can also convey importance to a certain area or obejct, such as leading the viewer's eye to a character's eye during a tense or aha moment.

You can also use a gradient overlay to set a mood to a certain shot in ways that simply cannot be made using any other method.

You can't say "gradient overlays are shit" just because it's misused.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.