[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it so... endingless? What is the point of this story?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

Why is it so... endingless? What is the point of this story? Kaguya became but another loop in the spiral, repeating the story of her predecessor completely. All that is left is grief, sadness, and regret. Everything she had, even her memories, is gone. Everyone she was connected is miserable, one way or another.
It's not even a tragedy, really, it's just nothing.
Why?
And why do people regard it as one of the best Ghibli films?
>>
I know I've seen this thread before.
https://desuarchive.org/a/thread/152635874/
>>
>>152817472
Do you see any responses in it?
>>
>>152817903
Watch it again in a few years... once you get 21+ probably. Art is hard to understand at first.
>>
>>152819939
I'm way over 21, mate.
>>
>>152817403
I didnt like it either. Not enjoyable/ entertainment but it's literature i guess
>>
>>152817403
>It's not even a tragedy, really, it's just nothing.
How is it not a tragedy.

Mind you this is how the original story ended, although Takahata removed the mythical aspect from it.
>>
>>152819939
>"He just doesn't understand it, he doesn't have my mature, developed mind."
HOLY FUCK I WISH CANCEROUS CORNCOBS LIKE YOU WOULD ALL FUCK OFF BACK TO THE DAIRY FARM.
>>
>>152820364
I also wish for the iliteracy brigade of /a/ to leave as well but somethings cant be accomplished. Why don't you go back to your Naruto? We don't need scrubs like you here. Thanks
>>
>>152820560
>iliteracy
As if on cue, the newfag embarrasses himself while trying to come off as having any sort of taste.
>>
File: the-snowman.jpg (84KB, 400x440px) Image search: [Google]
the-snowman.jpg
84KB, 400x440px
>>152817403
Kaguya is basically a feature length the SnowMan and that's pretty awesome.

It's probably my favorite ghibli film and it made me gain interests in Takahata's previous works, which I use to overlooked for Miyazaki's more fanciful movies. I've been rewatching most ghibli movies and I think in general I like Takahata's more now. Think it's because characters in his movies seem to have a lot more depth to them and there's usually more emotion in them even if the events on screen are relatively mundane. For some reason that just appeals to me more now than the imaginative stuff from miyazaki.
>>
>>152821115
Don't use emoticons on /a/.
>>
>>152821115
Didn't have to try anon, you did all the work yourself.
>>
>>152821167
Oh no you got me undercovered /( ̄ ∈∋  ̄)\
>>
File: 1406501002542.png (475KB, 929x697px) Image search: [Google]
1406501002542.png
475KB, 929x697px
>>152821227
Yeah man you're right!!!
>>
File: 098243609823453.png (117KB, 372x351px) Image search: [Google]
098243609823453.png
117KB, 372x351px
>>152820560
>Claims to be literate
>Misspells illiteracy
>>
>>152817403
It's based on an ancient folktale.
>>
>>152820907
Good for you. Now watch Katabuchi's films
>>
File: wew.jpg (53KB, 328x353px) Image search: [Google]
wew.jpg
53KB, 328x353px
>>152817403
>ll that is left is grief, sadness, and regret. Everything she had, even her memories, is gone. Everyone she was connected is miserable, one way or another.
>It's not even a tragedy, really, it's just nothing
Please telln what's your definition of a tragedy? Somehow it's amazing that you understood what was going on and yet still managed to reach the wrong conclusion. No really I'm impressed.
>>
>all that is left if grief, sadness, regret
>It's not even a tragedy

What the fuck am i reading
>>
>>152821475
>>152821560
I guess he just treats tragedy as something more dreadful such as dealing with unexpected death and on.
>>
>>152820331
>>152821475
>>152821560
I guess it just didn't feel like a tragedy to me. it didn't hit the same strings that tragedies do. I didn't feel sorrow, I didn't want to cry.
I'm not exactly sure how to explain it, but the story didn't really feel "full", I guess. The arrival of the space/moon people didn't seem that inevitable. There was hope of it being avoided, "defeated" if you will, both with the kids' march and song and with the strat of Kaguya's speech. there was hope, tension rising, and then they were just scattered to the wind with not consequence other than postponing the same end. With this ultimately meaningless struggle, I felt like my expectations were betrayed, like I was shown a big middle finger.
"Oh, you wanted some meaningful outcome and an ending that is more than the same cycle repeating itself? Well TOO BAD, here several completely wasted years for everyone instead" is what it felt like. There was just no impact.
>>
>>152821880
So Maeda and Okada crap?
>>
>>152821991
>There was hope of it being avoided,
Well, if you aren't versed in one of the most important Japanese fables, maybe.
>>
>>152821991
Your idea of what the ending should've been is absolutely atrocious. And it's not supposed to build a lot of tension and uncertainity about the outcome, this is a 1000 year old story that literally EVERYONE in Japan knows. The heaven music should've given you the cue that Takahata was trying to take you out of the emotional investment into the story and instead go for reflection.

Read this: http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/the-tale-of-princess-kaguya
>>
>>152821991
>"Oh, you wanted some meaningful outcome and an ending that is more than the same cycle repeating itself? Well TOO BAD, here several completely wasted years for everyone instead"
You aside, it worked on me and probably a fair number of people. Tragedy is about portraying suffering. And nothing brings more despair than a story that keeps fostering hope in the audience and then proceeds to show the audience a big middle finger, as you so aptly put it. That's just how you do it.
Either you just weren't invested enough on a personal level, or you're just mad at the movie itself for wasting your time and because it didn't go the way you hoped it would. Either way you can't fault the movie itself for not being a tragedy, because it was.
If you want my guess, you're just mad because you were played like a fiddle.
>>
File: Kaguya.jpg (41KB, 288x289px) Image search: [Google]
Kaguya.jpg
41KB, 288x289px
>>152817403
Appreciate the here and now, the time you have is precious.
>>
>>152822438
Best girl.
>>
>>152822278
>>152822301
Well, I'm not Japanese, so it's no surprised I wouldn't be versed in a Japanese tale.
>>152822306
>you're just mad because you were played like a fiddle
You could put it that way, I guess?
I get a slightly similar vibe from this film than from playing Firewatch. A great deal of buildup and excellent execution that result in absolutely nothing. FW is a much bigger disappointment in that sense, though.
>>152822438
Because you will have nothing left and won't remember any of it afterward, I get it.
>>
>>152822629
>so it's no surprised I wouldn't be versed in a Japanese tale.
Actually it is. The story is referenced all over the place.
Mushishi, Sailormoon, Naruto, Touhou...
Weebs should be aware of Kaguya-hime.
>>
>>152822629
>Because you will have nothing left and won't remember any of it afterward, I get it.
Because you will die, dumbo.

I don't necessarily subscribe to that interpretation but you can metaphorically take the ending as suicide, or simple death. The 'point' of the film is unchanged, and it is as that anon said.
>>
Honestly, anime, hell all stories in general are filled with endings that don't leave you feeling satisfied. Sometimes you just have to give it some time and revisit it after awhile. I honestly felt a bit of what you felt OP after originally watching this but now that it's been a year or two I can appreciate it more. I'm not saying its a movie free from criticism and those that do criticize it are somehow just unable to understand, all I'm saying is movies and stories with open endings or endings that don't meet our expectations more often than not leave a bad taste in people's mouths, that doesn't mean they are inherently poorly written or flawed, you can still find meaning from it. Isn't that what a good story is supposed to do in the end, convey a good theme and meaning?

For instance this
>>152822438
>>
>>152822854
>suicide
How is it a suicide? Wh was outright "killed" my the moon dwellers while resisting it with everything she could. She did not want to 'die", she wanted to stay in this world.
>>
>>152822908
She wanted to die ('go back') while getting groped by the emperor, and it was that singular moment of emotionality that defined her fate, no matter how much regret she showed afterwards. If there is in fact an afterlife, wouldn't you think most suicidals would be filled with regret too? I do.

Again though I don't necessarily think that's the one true way to take the story. You can also say it has an anti-buddhist worldview, or that it tried to be objective and removed when depicting the events (which is in line with most of Takahata's filmography)
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.