[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are /a/'s theories on why the isekai genre is the most

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: 1475856034435.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1475856034435.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
What are /a/'s theories on why the isekai genre is the most popular right now?
>>
>>152749515
Probably because people wish they could isekai to other worlds and start again, from zero.
>>
Is it?
>>
>>152749515
Because people want escapism fro the troubles of the real world. So they self insert as someone who has literally escaped their old reality.
>>
Wish fulfillment. Everyone wishes they were anywhere else but here.
>>
>>152749515
World has turned/turning to shit, Japan has economic woes and China is growing in power, might as well go watch anime where its literally a different world but with a few familiar elements.
>>
>>152749515
Easy. This new generation's cash cow.
Sword Art Online cancer
>>
>>152749515
Compared to earlier forms of wish-fulfillment, it is actually the most relatable, it is just like daydreaming.
>>
>>152749515
muh escapism
>>
Worst kind of wish fulfillment.
Instead of applying effort to become better than everyone around him, MC is transported somewhere where everyone is always inferior to him, either because of his knowledge (for example MC just happens to be a metalworker and gun otaku and thus knows exactly how to mass produce fucking kalashnikovs, shit skillset IRL but crazy op in his variation of fantasy world) or simply because author said so (sorry dude, you are fucking op not because you were self-aware since rebirth and kept training your mana pool, your soul just happens to contain part of the ancient end boss guy soul, welcome to volume 10 of your adventures btw)
>>
>>152750119
Literally tell me one isekai-shit here the MC uses guns instead of the usual swords and magic, there aren't any.
>>
>>152749515
All the best selling shows recently are not isekai so nope, twitterfags being vocal about it doesnt make it popular or big.
>>
Some anon posted this article on why Isekai is popular on Japan.
That it was escapism for the work conditions of their society and that they see that the only way to be succeful is to have special mediums as contacts, money or be really talented. That being a hard worked means nothing. So, they seek stories that mean that.
Pretty good shit.

https://frogkun.com/2016/05/05/whats-the-appeal-of-those-stuck-in-another-world-fantasies-some-japanese-bloggers-explain/
>>
>>152750881
"Gun-ota something something".
Also in Arifureta, MC magicks himself a bunch of magical railguns after stumbling upon a high level crafting spell. No, he is not an engineer, nor is applied electromagnetism common in that fantasy world. He just minecraft mashes together some "lightning producing metals" or something and gets perfectly accurate recoilless railgun.

If you want fantasy with firearms (ww1 tier, not some shit muskets) that is not isekai and decently written, try Sevens.
>>
>>152750939
>sao
>konosuba
>no game no life
>re;zero

With the exception of AOT those have all been the most popular shows over that past several years and all of them are isekai.
>>
You forgot love live, fujomatsu and tumblr on ice. Also konosouba, re:zero and ngnl are nowhere near SAO in terms of popularity and success.
>>
>>152751437
>those have all been the most popular shows over that past several years
Where? Reddit?
>>
>>152751252
but why is it a lot more popular now? I mean its always been shit to be a chink, and isekai shows have been made since forever, but recently theres definetly been an uptake in interest in it.

>>152751437
thought of a few others

>Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
>gate
>overlord
>>
>>152749515
They're fast paced and usually have a lot of interesting stuff happening, perfect for light novel readers.
>>
>>152749515
The unenlightened masses will always have shit taste
>>
>>152751623
lol what?

SAO is literally this generations naruto, and the other 3 were among if not the most hyped series of their years.
>>
>>152751751
SAO is the only one worth mentioning, the rest pales in comparison to >>152751586 not to mention Monogatari, Madoka or even fucking Free.
>>
>>152751875
wait do people actually watch (not)yuri on ice? who's gay enough to do that? Fuck I hate sports series so much.
>>
Pathetic losers with no standards resorting to the cheapest escapism.
>>
>>152751437
One of those is a parody and the other one is a deconstruction, and both authors are close friends.
>>
>>152751656
Well, it could be that this century economic conditions of Japan have awaken the population of the "work harder" mentality. So instead of shonen heroes who fight with all their might, we got smart and OP guys that take advantage of the world they are into.
>>
>>152749515
Its obviously the work of some new reincarnation god triying to get followers by influencing their media, too bad neets arent too big on faith.
>>
>>152751875
SAO is the giant among all of those series.

Re;zero and NGNL are slightly under Monogatari and Madoka, but both of those are several years older (at least in terms of when they had peak popularity), and they have completed stories while neither Re;zero or NGNL do at least in anime form. The others I think you're way overestimating the actual popularity of them past maybe /a/ or tumblr.
>>
File: anime never.jpg (127KB, 365x765px) Image search: [Google]
anime never.jpg
127KB, 365x765px
>>152752259
>deconstruction
>>152752316
>Re;zero and NGNL are slightly under Monogatari and Madoka
>>
Being whisked away to a fantasy world is pretty old trope in story-telling. Due to the internet connecting everyone, other countries don't seem as foreign or as magical as they once were so the end result is that people want to experience different worlds.
>>
>>152752423
I mean you can complain about taste as much as you want but the objective truth is they are.
>>
>>152752577
>the objective truth
Please show me some of those objective popularity indicators. Sales numbers would be a good start I think.
>>
>>152752423
>>152752755
>Sales numbers
im sure thats what he was talking about from the start you fucking moron
>>
>>152752808
I take it you have no idea what those numbers look like.
>>
>>152750119
The MC of Nirvana was a hard worker who was turning their life around before going to the other world.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.