[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hikaru no Go

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: Hikaru no Go v1-000.jpg (732KB, 2037x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Hikaru no Go v1-000.jpg
732KB, 2037x3056px
I just recently read this series. Disappointed by the blunt ending. What do you think /a/?
>>
>>152621688
Probably was axed. When you think about it, at the inevitable ending of the story, regardless of axing, there's really no way to resolve the whole "Sai must find the divine move in order to finally be at rest" subplot. It would be unrealistic for Hikaru to suddenly have a deus ex machina and know the divine move.
>>
>>152621688
It had to end that way because of how Igo matery truly involves. You only get to 9 dan by sacrificing your whole life to its study, and the main character was never in the position to reach it. Hikaru has basically reached the peak of what he is capable of if he wanted to stay a functional human being.

Although we can probably have a decent sequel now that AlphaGo is kicking everybody's ass. Focusing on how Go as a game is no longer mystical, and that humans can improve by simply practising against a machine.
>>
>>152621688
I looked at the ToC from 2000-2003. Hikaru no Go had an unexpectedly large number of breaks despite doing well in the rankings and having good tank sales. Pretty sure the author fell ill and had to stop. I do agree that the series abruptly stopped instead of having a natural ending.
>>
>>152621769
Going by how Kuwabara kept emphasising that it takes two people to perfect the game of Go, I believe that the divine move is indeed a perfect game of Go and honestly the series had everything in place for this achievement to be perfectly logical and rational. We had Toya who was a genius beyond comprehension and Hikaru who learnt from Shusaku himself and was like the second best (gonna be the best) Go player from the younger generation.
>>
>>152621688
Went to shit when the ghost left. Should have ended with some kind of fast forward chapter directly after and called it a day, milked it dry till it ended on a meh ending.
>>
>>152622280
>Went to shit when the ghost left. Should have ended with some kind of fast forward chapter directly after and called it a day, milked it dry till it ended on a meh ending.
Not sure why they ever let Sai leave. It would have made sense to just have Sai be defeated and not be actually invincible. Removing him kills the rest of the show's dynamic.
>>
>>152622372
Sai leaving just when the MC found love for the game made perfect sense, it just happened way too fast. And should have been reserved for the closing chapters, not fucking in the middle of it. It became quite dry read without the insight from a master.
>>
>>152622372
Sai is the mentor character. He must go whether people like it or not for the sake of the protag.
>>
>>152622280
I was very sad when Sai disappeared. He was such an adorable ghost. His antics made some chapters funny and his ferocity in playing the game made some chapters epic. None of the characters in the future had the kind of impact that Sai did.
>>
>>152621688
同作品では最終回で主人公が韓国人棋士に負けて終わっているのだが、この最終回には韓国側からの圧力があったというのである。
韓国と言えば、日本と同じく囲碁の盛んな国であり、当然『ヒカルの碁』の人気も高かった。
しかし、その一方で、韓国国内では日本人が囲碁という競技で世界で活躍するという内容に不満を訴える声が相次ぎ、出版元の集英社にクレーム・抗議の声が寄せられたという。
その結果、それが圧力になり、最終回では主人公の進藤ヒカルが韓国人の囲碁棋士に負けるという話の展開になったというのだ。
確かに、最終回で主人公が敗北してエンディングを迎えるというのは少年誌ではあまり類を見ない。それゆえに生まれた説であるとも言われているのだが、同作を掲載していた集英社の編集部はこの噂については否定している。
むしろ、この様な形で最終回を迎えた理由は、圧力ではなく、編集部内部での対立が理由であるという噂・都市伝説もある。
この様な編集部内の問題による作品の打切りや移動などは昨今よく耳にするが、真相は分かっていない。
>>
>>152622653
Fucking gooks.
>>
File: 2015-12-04_103800.png (267KB, 371x372px) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-04_103800.png
267KB, 371x372px
>>152622653
nice copypasta from densetsunavi
i don't believe it though
what reason would they have to care?
>>
>>152621688
Disappointed only by the ending? before the dream sequence hikaru was also annoying af. That motherfucker called Sai selfish while he was the only cunt who kept bitching "me me me" Sai's disappearance gave him a reality check albeit for a very big price.
>>
>>152622280
This. Also
>artist can draw cute girls
>author never brings them in
>the one girl who can play go will never advance beyond insei level

Japan was really pissed when the Japanese team finished bottom in the final tournament too.
>>
One of the igo title holder in real life took a couple of high dan title before he reached 30 iirc. Not sure his exact age but he's still young, so I'm not surw why Obata couldn't just write the same shit. Also I think they changed the system where you can reach 9-dan if you win tournament a lot, unlike before in HnG where you can just do a lot of matches to get to higher Dan.

Then again Jap always lose in international competition though so the writer kinda followed the real life situation too.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170124_105416.png (88KB, 415x890px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170124_105416.png
88KB, 415x890px
>>152622915
Girls can't play Go.
>>
File: d.jpg (41KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
d.jpg
41KB, 600x338px
>>152622868
That was legendary Urban Legend.
>>
>>152622915
I also hated how Akari wasn't given more spotlight. Unlike other annoying female leads like Sakura or Inoue, Akari was actually likable. Her screen time was abysmally low though.
>>
>>152622982
I get that these are recent statistics, but the author mentioned in one of the volumes that a couple of women won major Go titles. The woman who supervised the manga was also a female 5 dan player. This female insei could've at least made pro. But other characters became pros and then they were severely sidelined too.
>>
>>152622982
>that one Brit and nip
wew

>>152623008
>hang around Hikaru
>learns go not only to keep up with his hobby, but because it's fun
>continues club at school
>asks Hikaru to teach her
>off-screened, never even appears in the final chapter
Also Nase is one of the cutest female characters to come out of WSJ and she barely appeared too.
>>
>>152622280
It could've been good though. Ogata was getting more and more prideful, Kuwabara sensei wanted to stay until the younger generation challenged him, redemption against Korean and Chinese players, Toya becoming a true successor to his dad, Toya and Hikaru finally achieve the divine move, Toya's win against Zama for the Oza title, Hikaru getting a title while having a low enough rank to really prove that ranks don't mean shit etc. The series had plenty of things to show to the readers. More info about Akari and Yuki and others etc.
>>
>>152623002
not as legendary as hitler's secret public speaking and mass psychology mentor with ESP eric yang hannessen
>>
>>152623087
>that one Brit
That's a bot kek

I can also think of many many characters who were royally ignored during the last phase of the series. Kuwabara, Ogata, Zama, Morishita, Waya, Isumi, Yuki, Akari off the top of my mind. Like these guys weren't just side characters. They actually had an important role in the series. Especially the Go masters. The younger generation actually toppling them would've made a much better ending imo.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.