[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>character says 嬉しい >it gets translated as this Is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 510
Thread images: 77

>character says 嬉しい
>it gets translated as this
Is this what you killed fansubbing for, Daiz?
>>
It could be a perfectly fine translation with the right context. I don't know though because I dropped this.
>>
rub a dub dub thanks for the grub
>>
>creative translations that fit the character's personality are bad
When will this meme die?
>>
>>152619389
Is Daiz dead?
>>
what's a tikle pink? I mean what does that literally mean?
>>
>>152619511
>retconning the author's script with your own original ideas is good
When will Commie's spirit die?
>>
Daiz Nyaa Fakku 8bit 10bit
>>
>>152619511
>creative translations
The real McCoy right here
>>
>>152619389
Would you tickle her pink?
>>
>>152619389
What does this even mean ? Is she wet or something ?
>>
File: 61057673_p0.png (985KB, 900x1130px) Image search: [Google]
61057673_p0.png
985KB, 900x1130px
>rape
>>
>>152619540
It's literally impossible to translate from Japanese 1:1. You have to make creative decisions at some point.
>>
>>152619603
Her nipples are erect
>>
>>152619540
>I want bland and spiritless scripts that translate too literally and fail to fully make use of the creative power of English
>>
>>152619651
Except that 'I'm glad' was translated to 'I'm tickled pink'
>>
>>152619389
I haven't watched JoJo but how did they translate Urepii ?
>>
>>152619651
Indeed, using "I'm glad" instead of a strange term that not everyone might know is impossible after all. The same goes to correcting the author's script by forcing puns and expressions related to the setting.
>>
>>152619389
>knows Japanese
>still watches subs like a peasant
Why do you even care man, just let them pley in the mud.
>>
>>152619556
No one is going to get this
>>
>>152619651
>It's literally impossible to translate from Japanese
Yeah, there's no such thing as "I'm glad" in English
>>
>>152619674
If "creative power" means throwing uncommon phrases like that for no reason, then I'll pass. It sounds like someone's failed attempt at writing natural sounding dialogue.
>>
>>152619700
I want her to say this to my duck.
>>
>>152619700
I have never heard anyone use high heaven in actual speech. It has always been in TV shows and movies by an actor pretending to be southern.
>>
>>152619758
But everyone says "my sides" in casual conversation after all
>>
>>152619785
Me and my friends do.
>>
>>152619780
Its an angel pun you fuckwit.
>>
>>152619389
Commie and Daiz are the cancer killing fansubs and accurate translations that's more literal than liberial shit.
>>
>>152619389
Are you feeling it now Mr. Krabs?
>>
>>152619785
You summoned thy who shall not be named already.
>>
>>152619785
Japs and English people normally use "my stomach hurts" to describe laughing too much 腹が痛い
>>
>>152619807
One that isn't present in the source material.
>>
File: guh.png (273KB, 407x278px) Image search: [Google]
guh.png
273KB, 407x278px
>>152619744
Haha....
>>
>>152619511
>that fit the character's personality
The personality that the fansubber invented. She doesn't talk any differently than the other girls, but her speech in the subs is noticeably different.
>>
>>152619889
So? It's not like this is fucking Shakespeare.
>>
>>152619936
It's not your fanfiction either.
>>
File: 1464922936551.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1464922936551.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
all those meme translators have been hired for a potato sack by CR
>>
Jesus Christ this thread is awful, literally neo /a/ in a nutshell "baiting" each other with entry level shitposting.

Just nuke the whole place already.
>>
>>152619967
CR insiders are reporting layoffs of translators and editors
>>
first I've even heard of this expression
>>
>>152619989
preach girl, keep educating us neo /a/ lowlifes.
>>
Me too, but I didn't pay attention to the subs since ureshii is such common if you don't know what it means, then you won't be able to even open the portal to Gensokyo.
ETL here.
>>
>>152619389
Fancy British slang is pretty fitting for a character like her, though.
>>
Japanese is an extremely contextual language. In addition there are levels of speech patterns from direct to super polite, from out group to in group, personal and abstract. All of that comes together to make something extremely difficult to translate without the use of translation notes or something.

A translator must decide when to translate directly and when to take liberties. A literal translation is impossible.

Even a simple word like 嬉しい requires thought to translate.

Besides the fact that 'I'm tickled pink' literally means 'I'm excited' 'delighted' 'ecstatic' 'overjoyed' etc. So it remains a valid translation even if you don't like it.
>>
>>152619539
Your face gets flushed when tickled and start laughing, I suppose.
>>
>>152621243
>>152621405
While it means the exact same thing, there's no need to go grab an expression out of who knows where when a simple "I'm glad" wouldn't have let a single room for complaints, while perfectly conveying the meaning of what she said. Who gives a fuck about what the subber thinks a character should be like, >>152619919 said everything that needs to be said. Taking too many liberties in localization is more likely to harm the tone of a show than to help people understand it better, and might also cause people to misattribute characteristics to its cast.
>>
>>152619389
The whole episode was filled with nonsensical puns and idioms. I think they outsourced the translation to Commie.
>>
>>152619962
>implying sanctity of works
>>
>>152621684
I would say that the script an author who managed to get his work adapted into animated Taiwanese tapestry made is much more important than whatever some random person who finds themselves to be all high and mighty rote up while changing all of their characters, but maybe that's just me.
>>
>>152619780
I live in the american south and I hear this often.
>>
>>152621758
Nothing you do will ever let you see that script because that's how linguistics works. No matter what you're getting "someone's fanfiction" as you would put it. All you're doing when you say this is a better translation is supplanting your own "fanfiction"
>>
>>152619780
It's just one example out of many.
>get it guys they're angels and demons so we must force heaven and hell puns into everything they say!
>>
>>152621840
Kill yourself, commie apologist.
>>
>>152621840
Linguistics don't say that you need to change what characters say to fit what you want the audience to perceive they're like when doing simple translations would convey everything perfectly, especially if those characters don't have any peculiarity at all in how they speak and you're only adding your fluff because you think it would "fit better".
>>
Subs are best as plain as possible. Leave the fancying shit up for dub-watching retards. There are few things more irksome than thinking "that's not what he said you fucking faggot subbers" two or three times an episode.
>>
>>152621405
Except it's not a valid translation because no one says that.
>>
>>152619389
English is not my mother tongue and that shit would've gone over my head if I used subs as my main source of understanding. Never even heard that term and it sounds damn stupid anyway. Like the rub a dub shit

>>152619674
>fail to fully make use of the creative power of English
You know there is this thing called literature, people who want to exercise the utmost of their language's creative power should write books, not fansubs.
>>
>>152622046
a simple translation is still nothing but an interpretation, it's just flavourless, it's no closer to the original because of that.
>>
>>152622518
A flavorless interpretation that can be easily understood by many is much more efficient than a flavorful interpretation that's only understood by a few.
>>
File: 1445690310251.png (69KB, 200x240px) Image search: [Google]
1445690310251.png
69KB, 200x240px
>>152621405
>Japanese is an extremely contextual language. In addition there are levels of speech patterns from direct to super polite, from out group to in group, personal and abstract. All of that comes together to make something extremely difficult to translate without the use of translation notes or something.
>>
File: 1485215804401.jpg (98KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1485215804401.jpg
98KB, 1280x720px
>satan wearing star of david pin

What did Japan mean by this?
>>
>>152619389
Honestly, what ureshii translates to depends on the personality type, speech patterns, location/time period, etc. You know, actual translation instead of parrot transliteration.

Its possible for it to be taken too far, but knee-jerk griping in favor of literalism shows you know shit about translation.
>>
>>152622610
Before that line there wasn't anything (it cut from another scene), and after it there was this. I don't see how "I'm tickled pink" fits better than literally any other variation of "I'm glad".
>>
>>152622560
I guess we should avoid the use of all language that isn't simple then?
>>
>>152622572
It's probably supposed to be a pentagram. Probably.
>>
I believe it was in an interview with the English translator for one of the Murakami novels and several other influential Japanese works, he said:

When you read anything translated from another language, you are essentially reading that translator/their interpretation of the work. One cannot literally translate one language to another, so in essence the translator's "voice" carries over into the work. You strive to stay as faithful to the work as possible, but in many cases you are making creative decisions based on your perception of the characters, setting, etc.

Thats not exactly what he said, but essentially was the gist of it as best I can remember.
>>
>>152622713
Its clearly not a pentagram
>>
>>152622572
THE JAPS KNOW. SHUT IT DOWN.
>>
>>152622572
That they dont know shit about religion as usual
>>
File: 1446606439225.jpg (212KB, 823x1227px) Image search: [Google]
1446606439225.jpg
212KB, 823x1227px
>>152622732
It's basically true, if you want you can get into even more crazy levels.
>>
Just kill me!
>>
>>152622764
They knew enough to get the St. Peter's cross right
>>
>>152622734
Yeah I'm saying the artists don't know or don't care enough about the difference between the two
>>
>>152622699
Raphiel is two-faced and feigns being a "pure-hearted innocent lady" type. While the chosen phrase would vary from person to person, "tickled pink" does still fit her act. Personally I would probably have used "That would be wonderful."
>>
>>152622732
True, which is why fansubbers should have some fucking humility and understand that they need to suppress their amateur 'voices' as much as possible, they are not improving on the script by taking excessive liberties.
>>
>>152622809
Kindly stop shilling
>>
>>152619389
Translators love to take their liberties, to leave their mark
Good thing I know some japanese
>>
>>152622855
>to leave their mark
Shitting on the turf also leaves mark so they may want to try that as well
>>
>>152622845
Metal gear solid would have been shit if Blaustien didn't go ham on the script. You're translating pop cultural, commercial crap, not serious works. You do whatever makes the product better.
>>
I find it funny how I know what ureshii means but I have no idea what "tikled pink" meant, so I just went with context.
>>
>>152622560
First of all, you're crazy and that's a horrible and that's a crazy attitude to take towards creative work. Second, I guarantee you that any adult native English speaker knows what "tickled pink" means.
>>
>>152619510
commie doesn't count
>>
You know, with the advent of soft-subs, you think that subbers would just include two sub tracks (localized, translated).
>>
just learn japanese so you don't have to have subs stupid
>>
>>152621405
>Besides the fact that 'I'm tickled pink' literally means 'I'm excited' 'delighted' 'ecstatic' 'overjoyed' etc.
So why not using that then?

>I'm delighted
Feels way more in-character to her than
>I'm tickled pink
>>
>>152622809
The problem in this case is that since she said nothing other than a simple "ureshii" followed by that line, making what she said that much more fancy is basically just adding more character to her, in that scene, than what the author intended to do. Yeah, everyone knows that she's a two-faced bitch, and everyone knows the cast has both angels and devils, but that isn't an excuse for someone to make everything she says sickeningly cute or to cram in as many heaven/hell references into everyone's lines as possible, simply because none of that was present in the work in first place.
I have the same gripe against those cases where subbers add as many cat puns as humanly pawssible into everything a cat character says, when the only thing they do to show they have a peculiar speech pattern is a "nya" after most of their sentences. They're just meowing for fuck's sake, they aren't supposed to be masters of jokes.
>>
In English we don't usually just state "I'm glad" in conversation like that, though. If we say "I'm glad", it will be in a broader context like:
>I'm glad you agree.
>I'm glad you came.
>I'm glad that you finally decided to shut up.

You may see "I'm glad!" written in isolation where you can add an exclamation point for clarity, but in speech, it has a tendency to come off as sarcastic, brusque or confusing.
>>
But we don't pay for CR so they can do whatever they want
>>
>>152622845
That screenshot is from Horrible-Subs aka not fansubs. While CR used fansub-converts early on for subbing, AFAIK they've used professional translators for a number of years now.
>>
>>152622967
WRONG
>>
>>152622880
>You do whatever makes the product better.
But 99.9% of the time they make it worse, and that is exactly what I mean by having humility. They need to assume that they are not better script writers than whoever wrote it to begin with and keep it as simple as possible without attempting to add 'personality' to the dialogue, because getting it wrong is far worse than a bland/dry translation.
>>
>>152622941
Japanese isn't like English stop trying to treat it as if it's just English but with different words, the language is structured and built entirely differently. You can't just go to a dictionary and pick the words out and transliterate.
>>
>>152622989
ok bud.
>>
i'm telling you guys this argument is pointless because if you aren't multilingual in the first place you deserve it
>>
>>152622930
You need a much better reason for learning Japanese than that.
Untranslated eroge, now that's a real reason.
>>
I didn't know what tickled pink was until today.
>>
>>152622967
>Wow, I'm so happy!
>I never expected you to suggest we walk home together, Vigne-san.
There. Same meaning, adapts the "waah!" she said just before the "ureshii desu" as well, and flows much better than TICKLE ME PINK.
>>
>>152619389

Did Diaz do ikamusume's "squidding" and GoPri Precure's "Bojour"?

If so he's more horrific than i though.
>>
>>152622941
It's not a matter of taking that one singular phrase or scene. Its based on knowledge of the overall character and how they act. It also stems from English being a far more descriptive language than Japanese. In that specific case it can also be the tone with which she says the word, etc. There are a lot of factors one combines when translating.

I know everyone has their own preferences, but do understand that its exactly that—your own preference—and not anything inherently faulty with the translation. People try to raise up Japanese or the original script as holy and inviolate, but thats just not how Japanese nor translation works.
>>
>>152623019
this is actually true that would make you want to learn reading/writing proficiently
otherwise you just learn the spoken language and cut corners in the reading and writing department if all you want is to understand anime and then your perception of the language is also warped
>>
>>152622899
Guess what, as the most widespread language, English subs are not geared to the native speakers only
>>
>>152619511
Does it really?

"I'm tickled pink" gives Raphael a character quirk that she didn't show there: some fancy talking.

Raphael is polite, but I'm not so sure about this kind of speech pattern.
>>
>>152623030
Yes, "I'm so happy" is perfectly acceptable and appropriate.
>>
File: translation-fun.jpg (29KB, 936x199px) Image search: [Google]
translation-fun.jpg
29KB, 936x199px
Use a literal translation you say? Stop putting words in the author's mouth you say?

Sure thing, I'll just use the specific word that omoshiroi means and...hmm
>>
File: 1302710393632.jpg (103KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1302710393632.jpg
103KB, 1280x720px
Coalguys has infiltrated Crunchyroll? The end is nigh.
>>
>>152622996
1. you're assuming reverance for the original script assuming it to be quality, this is not always the case.

2. you are assuming what passes in Japan can pass in the US, this is not the case, things that are cool in Japan don't fly in English speaking countries, you could get away with calling a character "gun mcshoot" in japan and have that pass as serious, you couldn't do that in the US for example.

3. much of Japanese prose has specifically got the "personality" built in, but it doesn't cross into English because the languages are fundamentally different you literally lose it by attempting to keep it "close to original" you can have huge arguments about the details of trying to translate various script because of this. Even Frederik Schdot once got into a bit of a spat over it.
>>
File: 1207599614781.jpg (36KB, 704x400px) Image search: [Google]
1207599614781.jpg
36KB, 704x400px
>>
>>152623066
Once again, the source material should be respected, if there isn't additional fluff in a character's lines that's most likely because the author didn't intend for there to be any than because Japanese is a flawed language. That kind of mentality so many subbers seem to have that they must be original instead of keeping things as simple as possible is what allows for shit like this to happen.
People go around spamming >Commie while complaining for a reason, you know.
>>
>>152623114
>le context doesn't exist meme
Fuck off herkz
>>
>thinks tickled pink is some rare archaic saying
Fucking Yanks.
>>
>>152623114
Almost all of these are synonyms.
>>
It's fun to see the EOPs crying about localisation.

This show has the best sub script I've seen from CR, in quite some time. The dialogue flows naturally, it maintains the comedic tone even through puns, and the characters shine through. There are a few minor niggles, but that's just inherent to Japanese translation, you're never going to get 1:1.

For a look at the other end of the spectrum, check out elDLIVE this season. The translation is hilariously wooden, often outright wrong, and far too literal at points. One of the worst hackjobs I've ever seen, but it's a crappy kids show so who cares.
>>
>>152623114
If the character simply said
>Omoshiroii!
No one will complain if you use those, but its completely different when your subs say
>Wow! It really makes you think!
>>
>>152623114
I don't get what you're implying. Things should be translated liberally because words have more than one meaning?
>>
>>152623183
t. CR staff
>>
>>152623145
>flawed language

It's structurally different to English, not flawed, things in Japanese are often built into it in a very fundamental way that just doesn't have a direct comparison in English and you need to use additional words or change the phrasing or what have you to actually get the meaning across properly.
>>
File: tickledpinkright.png (42KB, 833x641px) Image search: [Google]
tickledpinkright.png
42KB, 833x641px
>>152623114
Show me a fucking translator that shows tickled pink as the first recommendation
>>
>>152619389

What about all the viewers who don't speak whatever obscure teen ghetto burger dialect the subber does?
>>
>>152623183
This, thank you CR for adding all these puns and expressions the author forgot to write.
>>
>>152623217
There is so much wrong with this entire line of thought I don't even know where to begin.
>>
File: Daiz.png (155KB, 400x1595px) Image search: [Google]
Daiz.png
155KB, 400x1595px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20PwaJYcnuk
>>
>>152623167
While most words in a category may convey the same meaning, they all do have very different nuances. That's what a synonym is.
>>
What the fuck is this Daiz meme?
>>
>>152623183
Speaking of solid translations: Just finished reading Goblin Slayer Vol1. Yen Press did a really good job on it, I was impressed.

Only thing I found confusing was how Witch's lines had commas placed between almost every word. I couldn't figure out what that was supposed to be implying. Haven't seen the raw Japanese for comparison, does she speak in a slow stilted pace?
>>
>>152623259
Please go back in time and lurk for 5 years.
>>
>>152623217
Show me footage of any English native saying "I'm happy/joyful/glad" in a similar situation to that presented in the show.

You'll never find one, because it's not proper English.

I understand that lots of EOPs have just learned to live with awful literal translations into English that doesn't make grammatical or contextual sense, but that's not how translations should be.
>>
>>152623242
We will never know if that is actually wrong or not if you cant even point out what is "wrong" just because you got "overwhelmed" with the sheer amount of "wrong" in that line of thought.
>>
>>152623271
>Please go back in time
Okabe please.
>>
>>152623247
>Attempted assassination of Coalgirls
This needs to be updated now that they're actually dead.
>>
File: reading you're post.png (640KB, 1174x762px) Image search: [Google]
reading you're post.png
640KB, 1174x762px
>>152623271
>>
>>152623258
Sure, but they're all actual words.

What people are complaining about here is that the translator chose to translate a commonly used Japanese word as a rarely used English idiom.
>>
>>152623279
Show me footage of any English native saying "I'm tickled pink" in a similar situation where a person they know but haven't interacted much with invites them to go somewhere.
I would say that them expressing how happy they are using more widely known expressions would be far more likely to happen.
>>
Commie a shit.
>>
>>152623281
Well then lets start from the most obvious

>machine translation

Then you have the fact that you are looking at a dictionary and trying to take a word out of it rather than trying to understand the underlying signifiers, then you're ignoring the way Japanese is structured as a language and trying to impose an English language structure onto it to prove your point.

And this is before I even hit context.
>>
>>152623336
Tickled pink isn't that rare.
>>
>>152623228
So when a character says they would crawl into a hole if they found one, one should write that literally instead of going with the implied meaning of extreme embarassment and using "so embarrassed I could die" that is most common in English?

What about a street punk known for foul language saying merely "shine" (die)... when that personality type in English would more likely use something like "Fuck off and die" or "Kill yourself"?
>>
>>152623279
I also think that if a character is angry and says
>I'm angry!
We should translate it to
>I'm literally shaking!

Because that's how kids talk nowadays and it flows more naturally.
>>
Do you really think the guys who wrote tickled pink really spent all that effort trying to justify it? They just rushed through the script.
>>
>>152623368

You take the memes out of anime thanks. I can read JP but many will suffer for it.
>>
>>152623366
Of course not. If they're angels or devils, the translations should also say something like "so embarrassed I could go to heaven" or "fuck off or I'll send you to hell" for added accuracy.
>>
>>152623337
I'm guessing you're an ESL, or maybe a dumbshit American who has never encountered the idiom before.

Let me explain it to you. The actual sentence here is "I'm tickled pink (by your suggestion to walk home together)". This is the meaning conveyed, and it's very close to the Japanese, which places the happiness first, and then explains the reasoning.

Were you to use "I'm glad", there's no sensible way to continue the sentence. "I'm glad because..."? That sounds awful, and misses the whole point. If you were to use glad, you'd have to place it at the end. So you get something like "being invited to walk home with you makes me happy". But there's a split in the sentences, you can't have the happy bit at the end.
>>
One translation I found while watching a show was "Jesus christ on a pogo stick"

Went onto crunchyroll and their translation was "You can't see it"

What in gods name lads. Like.....Jesus christ on a pogostick?
>>
>>152623361
I'm a native English speaker, and I don't think I've ever heard any one use that phrase in a conversation.

Then again I've spent most of my life in either the North-east or west coasts of the US. Maybe it's a regional thing?
>>
>>152623349
You're wasting your breath at this point. Those that don't want to understand are beyond help. Time to bail.
>>
>>152623368
Who the fuck says "I'm angry!"? It's this kind of awful literal translation that kills translations. Something like "I'm pissed!" would be a better suggestion for the second choice, and anyone who isn't retarded would agree with me.
>>
>>152623368
Gotta fit a "Savage!" in there somewhere. That's what all the cool kids say these days, isn't it?
>>
>>152623448
Honestly even some people that can speak/read moon seem to have exactly 0 understanding of how the language works and I can only imagine they immediately translate everything into english in their head as they go along rather than understanding the underlaying Japanese concepts. (some of them can be a fucking pain though)
>>
>>152623438
I think it's a generational thing.
>>
>>152623421

Certain phrases are regional.

Proper english isn't.

Simple example. "Nothing sucks like our vaccum cleaners". Burgers will associate suck to mean bad. Others won't. To avoid this, avoid memes in translations that might be misunderstood.

Tickled Pink is a similar example. Too infrequently used in many areas to be a feasible choice for a serious translator.
>>
>>152623416
"I'm glad because..." (of your suggestion to walk home together)? You could also use "I'm so glad" or "I'm so happy" as >>152623030 said, because that little "so" is enough to give a more concrete feeling to what wouldn't mean much on its own.
>>
>>152623279
Fuck off herkz, i hope you die.
>>
File: 1336819825429.png (218KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
1336819825429.png
218KB, 380x380px
I've decided.
I will go to my local bar this weekend, show the (Japanese) patrons this scene and ask them how they would personally translate it into English.

I wonder how many of them are going to say "I'm tickled pink"? I'm wagering none. Anyone want to take on this bet?
>>
>>152623508
Look I get that. But how does one translator get "You can't see it" and another gets "Jesus christ on a pogostick"
>>
>TL note: ABUNEE means Good God!
>>
>>152622899
I'm just here to laugh at all the illiterates who didn't know the expression "tickled pink" E4L here.
>>
File: ゴブリンスレイヤー051.png (212KB, 1240x1754px) Image search: [Google]
ゴブリンスレイヤー051.png
212KB, 1240x1754px
>>152623264
I looked it up for you, yeah, she talks like a stuttering moron with commas everywhere in Japanese too.
>>
>>152623533
Nah, more likely they would tell you to go fuck yourself. And have fun coming up with the equivalent Japanese phrase for that, Mr. Translation is Simple.
>>
>>152623547

In his personal worldview, pogo phrase gives a similar meaning. Likely an incompetent translator.
>>
File: my_sides.jpg (646KB, 1780x1272px) Image search: [Google]
my_sides.jpg
646KB, 1780x1272px
>>152621405
You're an idiot. Enjoy your memesubs
>>
>>152623547
That was GG being GG afaik. It was done intentionally to rustle jimmies.
>>
File: stop.jpg (24KB, 300x289px) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
24KB, 300x289px
>>152623416
>Were you to use "I'm glad", there's no sensible way to continue the sentence.
>>
File: 1471581483782.jpg (561KB, 1280x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1471581483782.jpg
561KB, 1280x2160px
>>152619389
>people pay for these subs
>fansubbing died for this
>>
>>152623349
>you are looking at a dictionary and trying to take a word out of it rather than trying to understand the underlying signifiers

This is what you think I do, not what i actually do.

My point is that using idioms is far from an accurate translation.
But hey, you are going to understand what you want to understand and what you think i was "trying" to say to fit your train of thought.
>>
>>152623517
>"I'm glad because..."
Sounds like absolute shit, and everybody here would be complaining that she only said 嬉しい for that line.
>You could also use "I'm so glad" or "I'm so happy"
The issue here is one of nuance, she isn't fucking thrilled by the prospect, she's just being polite. If it was a ほんとに嬉しいですわ, then maybe you'd have a point. The nuance is "this is going to be fun", not "I have no friends, thank you for talking to me".
>>
>>152623547
You need to give more information than just the one line. The stuff that comes before and after is important.
>>
>>152623586

I think you need to have a certain subculture level to understand sides and that is why its bad for translation.

If we take a reasonably representative sample of native english speaker internationally who are watching anime for the first time and ask them about it, chances are they won't know what it is.

That is why you take the memes and you get out of the subs!
>>
I guess it's better than machine translations - at least it sounds natural - but really, I don't get why they feel the need to insert their fanfic into the show.
>>
>>152623463
People dont say "pissed" anymore, please translate it to "triggered" because that gets the feeling better.
>>
>>152623336
English vocabulary built on subtle variations of the same concept, which is why you have so many words that are essentially the same. Idiomatic language then forms another layer of contextual meaning.

>>152623621
But that's wrong.
The entire point of idioms is speaking about concepts in contexts where they're not defined with proper words.
>>
>>152623581
I laughed at their shitty Japanese "comedy" videos. Do you know how excruciatingly painful it is to pretend that pen-pineapple-apple-pen is amusing? They fucking owe me.
>>
File: localizing.jpg (14KB, 585x115px) Image search: [Google]
localizing.jpg
14KB, 585x115px
>>
>>152623662
>he doesn't like PPAP
Kill yourself, my man.
>>
>>152623557
That page is Priestess speaking. I'm talking about Witch: The lady that pairs with Spearman and smokes in the guild hall.
>>
>>152623632
>The nuance is "this is going to be fun", not "I have no friends, thank you for talking to me".
Wait, aren't subbers meant to take context and what they know about a character in order to provide better subs? In that case, they should know that Raphiel has no friends.
But really, since all she did was politely state that she's happy with the invitation, "I'm tickled pink" is a fucking terrible choice because I don't see that as a polite expression at all. Just use "Wow, how wonderful!" or something like that holy fuck.
>>
>>152623621
>This is what you think I do, not what i actually do.

You quite literally went to a machine translation and tried to take what is effectively a japanese-english dictionary and then use that.

That's not thinking, that's exactly what you did based on what you showed me. If you want to do more feel free to do so but until then what I say stands.
>>
>>152623662
>https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ct6BUPvE2sM
This 808 cowbell is fucking sick
>>
>>152623642
>you need a subculture understanding to understand my sides

Have you never laughed so hard your sides literally hurt? that's not a subcultural understanding that's how the human body functions.
>>
I don't want to look through to quote everyone who said it, but anyone who said Raphiel doesn't talk differently is a fucking retard and shouldn't be listened to. She talks in keigo, the other girls don't. She even indirectly refers to that as "her character" in this episode.
>>
>>152623695
>they should know that Raphiel has no friends.
Her not having friends is irrelevant, that context would only imply if she was actually upset about having no friends.
>"I'm tickled pink" is a fucking terrible choice because I don't see that as a polite expression at all.
You not knowing English isn't an excuse.

>Just use "Wow, how wonderful!" or something like that holy fuck.
I really hope all ESLs aren't this dumb, wishing for janky garbage "translations" instead of natural English.
>>
>>152623722

Wanna take a sample on that?

Its simply not a common phrase. Ask your country's cabinet and legislature on that. For sake of discussion ask the US Congress. They speak English.

If you honestly think that the majority would understand that phrase to refer to laughing, you oughto try it out yourself.
>>
File: raughs.jpg (56KB, 1022x547px) Image search: [Google]
raughs.jpg
56KB, 1022x547px
>>152623247
>personally cockblocking aya hirano's bassist
>>
>>152622899
>that's a crazy attitude to take towards creative work
For works of your own, yes. For works that you didn't have a say in its making? No. Especially when you're going around adding stuff that wasn't there to begin with. That's like highjacking a plane and flying it to new york when the passengers were told they'd be landing in new jersey .
>>
File: we are old cum.png (443KB, 1143x330px) Image search: [Google]
we are old cum.png
443KB, 1143x330px
>>152623732
Then how come the only instance where she said something that felt different from the usual in the subbed version was this? On a sentence that didn't have anything special in Japanese, either?
>>
>>152623642
>>152623759
my stomach hurts is a proper idiom for laughing too much, my sides isn't far off from that.
>>
>>152623778

Its either stomach or not. There is no middle ground.
>>
>>152623635
She said "No no no"

Afterwards she just said no again.
>>
>>152623656
Which I find ironic, because "triggered" was started by the whole "sensitive" SJW crowd when if you think about it, flippantly using the term triggered for trivial things makes light of people who have legitimate traumatic episodes/mental breakdowns.
>>
>>152623722
Nobody says "My sides!" in real life. It's a phrase you might occasionally see on the internet, usually from ESLs. "My fucking sides" might potentially be spoken by a 12 year old, but not in relation to something that isn't actively making them laugh like a maniac.
>>
>>152623586
>Full time job
>handful of various normie friends
>go out multiple times a weak and socialize
>never once heard anyone outside of insular internet culture utter the phrase "My sides."

The concept of "sides hurting" from laughter is old, but the line "My sides!" is literally a niche internet meme.
>>
>>152623794
But what about "My sides"
>>
>>152623810
I've said "oh god my sides" when I was laughing so hard they literally hurt, shortly followed by "oh god I can't breathe"
>>
>>152623533
I don't see what that would prove. If talentless schmucks are going to translate my chinese cartoons for me I'd want them to be native English speakers and competent Japanese speakers, not the other way around.

>>152623772
Translations will never not be transformative.
>>
>>152623658
>English vocabulary built on subtle variations of the same concept, which is why you have so many words that are essentially the same. Idiomatic language then forms another layer of contextual meaning.

I understand that. However, the only thing addtional layer of centextual meaning "tickled pink" conveyed to me was how odd and stilted it sounded since I've never heard anyone use that idiom in conversation before. I'm pretty sure that is not what should have been conveyed, hence the reason I think it was a poor choice on the translators part.
>>
>>152623745
Trying to be polite while using lesser known expressions that can have a completely different meaning to someone who isn't familiar with that expression is likely to end in a disaster, you know. Not to mention how, if you're trying to be polite, you should avoid using "fun" expressions like that at all.

>I really hope all ESLs aren't this dumb, wishing for janky garbage "translations" instead of natural English.
What's so bad about a character stating that something is wonderful? And what's so natural about an expression that most people aren't familiar with, as proven by this thread?
>>
Serious question, would we even have this thread if she'd said
>this pleases me
>>
>>152623828
Sure, you could put the modifier before the phrase instead of inside it. But the main point is that nobody would generally say "My sides!" as a sentence by itself.
>>
>>152623759
You wouldn't ask old people about colloquial teen phrases, you would go to a school. I guarantee you most there would know the term "my sides".
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (173KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
173KB, 1280x720px
>>152623775
I'm not going to bat too hard for the translator of this show because there are plenty of choices that I've hated, especially in the second episode, but there are small differences throughout her lines. Like here, "would you like it" is a very stiff and polite way to offer something to someone.
>>
>>152623547
Is it that Japanese meme with the kid holding up a sign to censor things? If so, it's pretty clear that the "Jesus Christ" thing is a reaction to the censored thing. It's a retarded localization, not some kind of translation mistake.
>>
>>152623707
>somebody puts a translator screencap claiming to look for the specific word that omoshiroi means.
>I reply with a translator picture asking where the idiom used to translate ureshii is.
>"You quite literally went to a machine translation and tried to take what is effectively a japanese-english dictionary and then use that".
what did I use "that" for?

Hint: the answer is in a previous reply

You are still thinking that way.
>>
>>152623834
>Translations will never not be transformative.
That doesn't give you an excuse to transform them whenever there's a chance either.
>>
>>152623839
>since I've never heard anyone use that idiom in conversation before.
Being a cultural buffoon isn't something to be proud of.
>>
>Character says "Sunk you"
>It gets translated as "Arrigatou"
I love when fansubber does this.
>>
>>152623878
You used it to demonstrate that you don't know how to translate.
>>
>>152623879
I'm tickled pink is the least transformative you could possibly get here, in terms of meaning. Not only does it set up the next sentence in a non-stilted manner, it preserves keigo, all while making logical sense in progression from the previous scene.

It's literally as close to a perfect translation as you could get for this particular line, in this particular context.

The people crying about it are all just retards who have never encountered the idiom before.
>>
>>152623879
It does, actually. Funny how that works.
>>
If its something that normies won't understand. Don't use it in subs. Its that simple.

I don't care if you use it yourself and everyone around your circle of friends uses those phrases.

If normies DON'T understand it, its a failure of a translation.
>>
>>152623834
>Translations will never not be transformative.
Doesn't mean they have to be excessively so. Perfectly understandable in some instances like with idioms such as かもねぎ but you literally have to actively work around original script to add any unnecessary nuances to something as simple as the thread starter. It's quite an embarrassing thing to do imo.
>>
>>152623852
Yes because I'd be complaining about all the references to hell, heaven, devils and whatnot they're cramming into the dialog despite none of them existing in the original work, but then the thread would have died long ago
>>
>>152623880
I know what the phrase means. I just don't think it's commonly used anymore. You don't hear people outside of a Shakespeare festival use "thee" and "thou" very much do you?
>>
>>152623927
"I'm happy to hear that."
>>
I actually don't mind meme sub as long as they're consistent and at least funny.
>>
>>152623843
"wonderful" would be too strong of a term in that situation, try again.
>>
>>152623761
I immediately had the conclusion that he stuck his hand in front of her veejay and gave the guy the wagging finger.
>>
>>152623960
>I just don't think it's commonly used anymore.
Hence the keigo aspect.

>>152623962
>"I'm happy to hear that."
>"I never expected you to suggest we walk home together, Vigne-san."
Sounds great, man.
>>
>>152623794
Gut, belly, ribs, sides, kidneys. I've actually heard people claiming all of the above hurting after a laugh. Not simultaneously on a single person, of course.
>>
>>152624005

Trying to translate the different speech types is a way to fail hard and painfully.

Unless you have a different goal for translation, the aim is that the largest number of people should understand it with minimum difficulty.
>>
>>152623927
>The people crying about it are all just retards who have never encountered the idiom before.
I'm guessing there's also the crowd that wants to be spoonfed every nuance of the Japanese language in translation.
They're questioning "why is she suddenly speaking like that?" when she's actually been speaking that way for the entire show, but keigo doesn't always come across naturally.
If anything, the translator could have made the rest of her speech a little more fancy to get the point across.

>>152623962
"I'm happy [about your actions]" sounds condescending, and it implies that you were expecting that outcome.
>>
>>152623962
hear what?

>>152623852
Yes, because "this pleases me" is too stiff and even less "real" than "I'm tickled pink"
>>
>>152623960
It's typical posh Britspeak, which is perfect for an angel girl trying to sound sweet and elegant. You're just putting your poorfag Murrikan upbringing on display.
>>
>>152619716
Knowing 嬉しい doesn't make you fluent enough to watch without subs.
>>
>>152623672
What is it about translating anime and manga that turns people into tumblr?
Most of these people started as normal human beings, but inside of a year went full die cis scum.
>>
>>152624035
That isn't the goal for creative works... unless you're socialist realism.
>>
>>152620026
How can you layoff something that you don't have?
>>
>>152623927
She's expressing how happy she is for being invited to go out by someone she's seen a few times. Is there really no better way to express that in a short sentence that flows into >>152622699 than an idiom that most people aren't familiar with?
>>152624005
>"I'm tickled pink."
>"I never expected you to suggest we walk home together, Vigne-san."
That's just as bad, if not even worse. If you want something that flows best, then try removing the "I" sound that gets repeated so shortly after it's said the first time.
>>
>>152624035
>Unless you have a different goal for translation, the aim is that the largest number of people should understand it with minimum difficulty.

Maybe if you're translating instructional booklets.
Creative works require creative translations. Characters reveal a lot through their speech patterns, so if you reduce them all to Simple English, you're losing some of the story.
>>
File: 83867684.jpg (104KB, 338x507px) Image search: [Google]
83867684.jpg
104KB, 338x507px
>>152624018
Ha Ha Ha! My pancreas! *laugh track*
>>
>>152624068
"Wow, fucking neat."
>>
>>152624005
>Hence the keigo aspect.
Keigo (respectful speech) is still used very frequently in modern Japan. Also, idioms tend to be informal which is another example of why this was a poor choice of translation.
>>
>>152624062
>>152624080

You are allowed to be creative but if you choose a word the majority won't get, you fail as a translator. You can't avoid that.

Could you not use a phrase that the majority of the people would recognise?
>>
>>152623745
>>152623586
Sorry but on a daily basis with casual yet polite context, I've never heard people saying
>I'm tickled pink
>My sides
Or this >>152623618

I've heard those, but in really niche, forced or intended situations. If we're talking about context, in a normal situation, I don't really think any of those characters would've said that.
>>
>>152623944
The expression is new to me as well but I could guess what it could mean almost immediately. It comes across as aloof and cutesy, a little foreign; I could see a character like Osaka from Azumanga Daioh using a phrase like that. If that sort of characterisation is consistent with the animation and voice acting that translation is not only not excessively transformative, it's exceptional.
>>
>>152624058
They were always Tumblr, they just kept quiet about it until they had infiltrated the industry to sabotage it. Little do they realize they're just acting the exact same way as the conservative forces like 4Kids they claim to be against.
>>
>>152623618
And here I thought new game's subs were bad.
>>
>>152624101
>>Keigo (respectful speech) is still used very frequently in modern Japan.
Right, and English doesn't have respectful speech that's still used frequently. Sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette.
>>
>>152624046
>an angel girl trying to sound sweet and elegant
But she isn't doing that, all she said was 嬉しいです.
>>
>>152624045
Seriously? I find it suits characters with a certain level of "planning arrogance", like Doom, Nobunaga, etc.
>>
>>152624121

Translate any way you want but we'll curse you as a bad translator if you can't do a translator's job.

Like any work, you're judged on results.
>>
>>152624104
Phrases signify different things.

You are not a failure as a writer or translator for choosing things that are less common. If that was the case then good lord classic literature is full of failures of translations.
>>
>>152624097
That's like the polar opposite of keigo.
>>
>>152624151

But you're not a writer. You're a translator.
>>
>>152624168
Translators are writers.
>>
>>152624167
that's the joke
>>
>>152624136
Which is a formal way of saying 嬉しい
>>
>>152624121
>Right, and English doesn't have respectful speech that's still used frequently. Sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, you're claiming that the best way to translate a common, formal Japanese word is to an uncommon, informal English idiom?
>>
>>152624168
Have you ever read any translations for novels? even pulpy novels like the Arsene Lupin novels make liberal use of uncommon words.
>>
>>152624005
Not, seriously, what is wrong with a simple polite
>I'm delighted
>>
>>152624137
Yes, but it doesn't fit any character pretending to be a Japanese schoolgirl.
>>
>>152624136
You don't translate characters with vibrant personalities by translating each line independently, you think of how to adapt their personality and way of speaking into their dialogue so that their characterization stays consistent.
>>
>>152624196
That it's not tickled pink
>>
>>152624196
It's wrong for the same reason you can't use "glad".
>>
>>152624196
Apparently "delightful" and "wonderful" are too strong to describe what she's feeling in that scene, but being tickled pink is perfectly accurate for some reason.
The world of subbing is a mysterious one.
>>
>>152624181
No, I'm saying that in this particular circumstance, with the overly polite and feminine character shown, an uncommon (for ESLs) idiom is a good choice. You'd have to be fucking retarded to suggest that X should always be translated to Y.
>>
>>152624199
Sorry, I guess I assumed the quotes would highlight I couldn't think of the right term. It's sort of like "it pleases me(that you took an action I was anticipating you to)". Not quite specific to the situation at hand though, I agree.
>>
watashi wa momoiro ni kusugurareteimasu
>>
>>152624263

You're free to pick that choice. And we are free to laugh at your failure of translation.
>>
How about:
ほら ブレンド コーヒー 持ってきてあったぞう

This anime has one of the worst translations I have ever seen, and I hardly bitch about bad translations because I only use them for the 10% of the dialogues I don't understand.
>>
How about this
>>
Not enough Satania on this episode.
>>
>>152624283

Get out was added but i cannot justify why.
>>
>>152624299
That feels too sarcastic, personally.
>>
>>152624283
>>152624307
The point was probably to exemplify the cultural no-no of casual speech in a setting like this.
>>
>>152624279
just like we are laughing at tickled pink right?
>>
>>152624335
Are you implying waiters in the west don't use proper speech while working?
>>
>>152621405
You are an idiot. No one can fully enjoy a comedy anime without a little bit of familiarity with Japanese culture. There is no need to try and adapt every single nuance with stilted unnatural translations. It is better to make a literal neutral translation and leave to the audience to notice the polite pattern in the intonation as well as the context of the character.
>>
>>152624335
Yeah, it would be impossible to write something inappropriate like "Here's your damn coffee" instead of adding shit that isn't there.
>>
>>152619389
I had no idea "tickled pink" even existed before this thread.
If I won't understand shit anyway maybe I should get back to learn runes
>>
>>152624335
And yet, once again, the part about telling Satanya to fuck off wasn't present at all in that scene, nor was it intended by the author. Even if OP's line makes enough sense as a translation despite being awkward, this one is straight up fanfiction.
>>
>>152624373
>anime should be translated to my exact level of knowledge of the Japanese language
>>
>>152624397
Same
>>
>he needs to look at subs for simple words and sentences
>>
>>152624366
American waitresses are a lot more casual than Japanese ones. I think we all are familiar with the mental image of a 60's burger joint waitress with curly hair and a cigarette in her mouth saying stuff like "righto, here's yer burgers".
>>
>>152624283

This is a failed translator. Laugh at him.
>>
>>152624405
>and that is why I am going to use an obscure idiom to show them my exact level of knowledge of the English language haha!
>>
>>152622899
I'm not native English speaker, I do have an IELTS Academic certificate but I have no fucking idea what "tickled pink" means, thank God I know what "ureshii" means, tough. These idiomatic adaptations are retarded, there are probably thousands of people who are not native English speaker that watch anime in English because that is the most accessible language. Every translation in English on the Internet should be neutral.
>>
File: 1334233831518.jpg (89KB, 488x516px) Image search: [Google]
1334233831518.jpg
89KB, 488x516px
>people are having fun while fan translating
Who is forcing you to watch this release? Please blink twice if they are pointing a gun at you, I'll call the police.
>>
>>152624263
>No, I'm saying that in this particular circumstance, with the overly polite and feminine character shown, an uncommon (for ESLs) idiom is a good choice.

Good translators need to be aware of their target audience. Given the number of people here who dislike the choice of "tickled pink", apparently the target audience is ESLs for this show, which means it was a bad choice.

>You'd have to be fucking retarded to suggest that X should always be translated to Y.

No one is suggesting that except you. People in the this thread have offered several different ways to translate the offending word in a more natural sounding way.
>>
Just die, Herkz. No one likes you or your work. No one will miss your potato rants.
>>
>>152624467
>waah why do I have to google this phrase I don't know learning things scares me
>>
>>152624467
I want ESLs to fucking die. Would you tell an acclaimed author to stop using big words because you don't know them all yet?
>>
File: 1455222090743.jpg (169KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1455222090743.jpg
169KB, 1280x720px
>>152619511
>creative translations
>>
>>152624482
>CR
>fan
>>
>>152624484
There are a total of 83 posters in this thread, not all of them dislike it.
>>
>>152624497
>>152624501

Time to accept that if most people can't understand your translations. You are a failure.
>>
>>152624303
For best girl reasons, I'd agree, but otherwise I found her presence this episode to be Goldilocks. Just enough smug to feel a little less bad about getting her ass kicked later in the episode, plus she managed to get one up on Rapid(albeit unknowingly).
>>
>>152624467
I do agree they should take less liberties and drop the epic memes, but suggesting anime should be textbook translated is retarded.
>>
>>152624530
Time to accept that if you can't understand high school level English translations, YOU are the failure.
>>
>>
File: 1375463409853.jpg (155KB, 680x851px) Image search: [Google]
1375463409853.jpg
155KB, 680x851px
>>152624484
From December 2015:
>Eighty percent of subscribers come from the English-speaking world, according to Kun Gao, co-founder and CEO of Crunchyroll.
>>
>>152624516
>"professional" subs
CR know they are still fansubs. Nobody pays for it
>>
File: 1405488768537.jpg (111KB, 664x801px) Image search: [Google]
1405488768537.jpg
111KB, 664x801px
Guys, I have a crazy idea.

Why don't you learn Japanese so you don't have to deal with this bullshit?
>>
>>152624549
high school students from New Zealand To South Africa and all the English speaking world use tickled pink when they are being polite

right....
>>
>>152624548
They also shouldn't make up new script.
>>
>>152624549

Don't kid yourself. Go to any community of normies, (university councils, company boards, legislative bodies) and you'll find that obscure phrases won't be well understood by the majority.

Particularly memes like "sides". Tickled pink may be a proper phrase but it is still uncommon. There is no safe reason to pick it unless you're a masochist who wants people to call you a failure.

Because the proof is when people don't understand it. It doesn't matter if you and I understand it. To the ones that don't, You have already failed as a translator.
>>
>>152624335
>>152624307

Yes I get that, but Gabriel's tone is quite obvious she is not being polite, being liberal on the lines and adding nonsense to try to make her "sound equivalently rude in English" is idiotic. I'm not 100% fluent in Japanese, but I understand 90% of the dialogues, at one point I just disabled the subs because they were so off with what the characters were saying I was getting distracting and wasn't being able to imerse in the show and enjoy it. And then, I'd had to turn it on again for a couple of lines I didn't understand just to have some clearly off translation. In the end I had to resort to jisho to finish watching this episode. This was one of the most unpleasing and frustrating experiences I had with subs in my whole fucking life watching anime. And I have been watching non-dubbed Anime since fucking 1997. I'll just watch everything in raw for the rest of this show. FUCK, CR, fuck herkz.
>>
>>152624558
>not posting shore be sorry
I know kayo is too cute to ignore but tama got the worst part.
>>
>>152624589
If you have ever read a book, you know what it is. And even if you don't, you just look it up ONCE and there you go, was it that hard?
Or is your puny pride too wounded to accept that you are not as smart as you think?
>>
>>152624405
No, translation should not try to dumb down and close the cultural gap. Translations should be neutral, cultural discrepancies are up for the audience to figure it out.
>>
If I was a publisher reading this thread, I'd make it my personal mission to force every aspiring author to include the phrase "tickled pink", hopefully, the next JK Rowling would then familiarize every child under twenty with the term.
>>
Is this why CR ""translators" are getting fired lmao
>>
>>152624631
>>152624644

Go right ahead, we'll continue laughing at your failures.

You're very lucky fansubbing doesn't require you to answer to your customers or you'd be fired long ago.

That's the price of failure.
>>
Now I'm curious, if they had gone with "Wow, I'm so glad!" despite it not being the optimal choice according to some people here, would anyone have made this same thread complaining that they didn't use "I'm tickled pink"?
>>
>>152624603
Again, some third world dumbfuck pirating the episode is not their target audience and they should not be catered to.
>>
>>152624631
>Or is your puny pride too wounded to accept that you are not as smart as you think?

This might be a meme answer but this is what i call projecting too hard.

>you just look it up ONCE and there you go
which means is a bad translation choice
>>
>>152624603
You do realise 50 year old men aren't the primary target audience for shows about high school girls right?
>>
File: n.png (329KB, 845x3964px) Image search: [Google]
n.png
329KB, 845x3964px
Holy shit either you are a middle school drop out or you have one of the most inflated ego around here and think your shit tier English skills can't be wrong because you are actually defending shit no better than this.
>>
>>152624681
Do you run out in fear everytime you encounter a new word? Newspapers must be scary to you.
>>
>>152624631
>read a book
Are you actually retarded? You're watching tv, not reading a book.
>>
>>152624671
>failures
What the fuck are you even talking about, potato?

>>152624631
>pausing anime for googling a stupid adapted expression not even needed in the first place.

NOPE.
>>
>>152624742
>Are you actually retarded?
It's like you missed his first post
>>
>>152624501
A chinese cartoon translator is not a fucking author, you pretentious little bitch.
>>
>>152622572
Jews are the devil
>>
>>152624714
Please protect me Anon-kun, there is a "translator" trying to tickle me pink with the joy of learning obscure idioms.
>>
>>152624549
>IELTS Academic
>school level English

I speak better English than over 40 million ignorant American fuckers that can't even discern between YOUR and YOU'RE properly.
>>
>>152624777
And a ghetto brazilian complaining about a pirated episode's translation is not someone with the right to complain about it.
>>
>>152624515
Holy shit.
>>
File: 1382228609339.jpg (184KB, 695x715px) Image search: [Google]
1382228609339.jpg
184KB, 695x715px
>know enough japanese to notice when subs are wrong
>don't know enough to watch without subs
>>
>>152624805
Well, I've never taken any English class or exam in my life, and I seem to know more than you. Keep flaunting your pretty diploma, though.
>>
>>152624826
I feel that pain.
>>
>>152624680
How come most third world dumbfucks watching this shit know what fucking ureshii means, does that mean their target audience is not Japanese either?
Are you retarded?
>>
>>152624826
I feel you
>>
>>152624501
Not him, but.

If you're mad that your broken German for Frenchaboo pakis, abos and Mexican blacks is used as L2 by some, this is, like, your problem.
>>
>>152622610
>>152623006
>transliterate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transliteration
baka
>>
>>152619389
>It's another "localization is bad" thread.

Good translators always localize. There's no reason not to.

Fuck even good dubs exist (e.g. Panty and Stockings). /a/ is just too autistic to admit it.
>>
>>152624842
Good for them then, why not watch raws then?
>>
>>152624849
Holy shit learn to write properly.
>>
>>152624809
How can you even said that when you made two mistakes in a fucking 21 words post.
>>
>>152624860
>Good translators always localize.
No, they don't.
>>
>>152624826
Being stuck in that limbo is the worst feeling ever.
>tfw watched a show where translators unironically translated 神 as "paper" instead of "god" even though it literally made no sense in that scene
Makes me wonder how many plots I've misunderstood over shitty translation back when I didn't know any Japanese.
>>
>>152624860

Good translators do this localisation well with appropriate words.

Bad translators do it poorly and the intent is lost along with readers being confused. This type likes to hide behind a variety of lame excuses to avoid accepting that they failed.
>>
>>152624881
If you're mad, that I'm writing in this way, because I'd rather keep using it, then I guess you could, you know, fuck off. :)
>>
>>152624902
>This type likes to hide behind a variety of lame excuses to avoid accepting that they failed.
Are you talking about your English proficiency?
>>
>>152624902
This. Have a spiced Udon as a reward.
>>
>>152624902

Its kinda like anime directors. When they do a good job everyone cheers and treats them as a genius.

When they fail, they call them a savior of anime. But that's what work is about. If your audience decides you didn't do a good job you failed. Its not what you think.
>>
>>152624950
You are not the audience, though. Do you pay a CR subscription?
>>
>>152624896
Unless you think pic related is good subs, then yes, they do need to localize.

Passive verb forms aren't used in commonly in English, so you need to rewrite the sentence. Causative-passive forms don't even EXIST in English, so you need to rewrite the sentence, keeping the same tone by selecting different words.
>>
>>152624934
>>
>>152624902
>Good translators do this localisation well with appropriate words.

this is wrong
>>
適当
Creative, indeed.
>>
>>152624964

Rub a dub dub thanks for the grub

This one still scares me to this day.
>>
On the bright side, at least they haven't "accidentally" translated furigana again since last season.
>>
>>152624934
*Peppery spaghetti
Translated That Fer Ye
>>
File: itw.webm (309KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
itw.webm
309KB, 480x270px
>>152624959
Pic related was the pinnacle of memesubs. Made a relatively mediocre show a metric ton of fun to watch.
>>
>>152624959
I love this meme where everyone who doesn't like localization would rather leave everything untranslated
>>
>>152624826
Just watch everything raw and look up what they said either during or after. You won't understand everything but you can always go back and rewatch the series in a year and marvel at the progress you made.
>>
File: this is the future or anime.jpg (281KB, 1382x1004px) Image search: [Google]
this is the future or anime.jpg
281KB, 1382x1004px
People actually defend this.
>>
>>152625009
Amusing.
>>
>>152625009
I don't get it
>>
>>152625009
Holy fucking shit.
>>
>>152625056
Do you know what furigana is?
>>
>>152625067
No
>>
>>152625034
"cute little sis" is hardly "localization".
>>
>>152625009

I laughed so much "my side" truly flew into space.

Meme aside. That was truly funny.
>>
File: 1476706686848.png (134KB, 449x345px) Image search: [Google]
1476706686848.png
134KB, 449x345px
>>152625009
>>
>>152625009
>translate desu to death and make up the lines to fit it because character is kinda chuu2
There is no hope for English translators.
>>
>>152625077
I hope you are not engaging in any arguments about translation, then.
>>
File: 1341458925004.png (82KB, 489x378px) Image search: [Google]
1341458925004.png
82KB, 489x378px
>>152625009
>>
>その顔やめろ
>turned into this
Are Americans incapable of understanding smug if the exact amount of smug isn't explicitly stated?
>>
>here anon translate these 50,000 words, 1 yen per character, deadline tomorrow
>get shitty translation

WOW WTF THIS TRANSLATOR MUST SUCK
>>
>>152625077

The simpliest way to explain it is that they had minimal japanese proficiency and mistranslated a name into a arachnid.

Furigana knowledge is pretty basic.
>>
>>152625097
I'm only here to Sataniapost
>>
I don't know Japanese or the anime in question. However, I know one or two things about translation.

In some works, figures of speech, puns and wordplay (I'll call them "idioms") do a huge part of characterization. Sometimes you can replace some idioms from the original language with ones from your target language, but this isn't always feasible, and yet if you just ignore them the end result is boring and characters lose personality. So it's common to get a general gist of what the character would say in the target language and, _when appropriate_, add an idiom here and there, even if the original work doesn't call for it.

Also. There is no such thing as "100% faithful translation". The translator will always need to creatively adapt the work, sometimes retcon it.
>>
>>152625077
Those tiny squiggles above the bigger and weirder squiggles are called furigana, basically just a reading aid to make it easier to understand what those weirder squiggles say. Both say exactly the same thing, written in different ways, but I guess someone over there thought the little squiggles were their street names.
>>
>>152624631
What kind of books do you even read to encounter that phrase? please, tell me.
>>
>>152625164
>I don't know Japanese or the anime in question.
Then don't butt in retard.
>>
>>152625108
>面子
There is simply no excuse for this. One thing is being rushed and doing a half ass job because you have a shitty pay, the other is the translator thinking that he can stuff his shitty jokes into the anime and that is ok. Anyone defending him is cancer.
>>
>>152625175
Any novel thicker than a pamphlet?
>>
>>152625188
Don't need to know Japanese to criticize a translator's use of English.
>>
>>152625164
>I'll just spew generic shit because
Either read the thread or fuck off.
>>
>>152625156
Then you are welcome.
>>
>>152619389
THE MOON IS YELLOW, AND IM YOUR FELLOW TONIGHT!
>>
>>152625206
You have to know English, though.
>>
>>152625175
>tickled pink down to Orlando nightclubs by ymca locker room
>>
>>152625205
Can you post an example?
>>
>>152625164
In this case, the idiom used was not an appropriate choice for translation because it gives off an informal tone whereas the original line has a polite formal tone, and is an idiom not commonly used by English-speaking individuals of the character's age, whereas the original line is normally used by Japanese people of the character's age. Also the fact that the rest of the translation for this series adds a lot of character traits and puns that simply didn't exist in the original work.
>>
I understand people complaining about the translator using a strange-sounding idiom where one wasn't needed, but isn't the debate revolving around "but muh masses won't understand!" a bit melodramatic?

I'm an ESL, I haven't encountered the idiom before and yet it was pretty easy to understand what she was trying to say. The idiom paints a clear mental image.
>>
>>152625164
>The translator will always need to creatively adapt the work, sometimes retcon it.

That is cancer, you should limit yourself in how much you adapt it, retcon should be avoided at all cost, if someone is watching a story taking part in the daily life of other culture, the people should at least be somewhat familiar with such culture to enjoy the work.

Your grandmother will never find a cute hikkikomori MMO-addicted Japanese little girl with no regard for language formality to be funny, no matter how hard you try to adapt the language to her frame of reference. The cultural elements are simply too alien for her.
>>
>>152625290
You are not welcome here, you filthy casual.
>>
>>152625251
https://books.google.com/books?id=Q4DHW9pmfwoC
>>
>>152625290
Do you translate into English or your native Spanish?
>>
File: 1476119074334.jpg (402KB, 1280x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1476119074334.jpg
402KB, 1280x1440px
>>
>>152625290
>I'm a translator
>>
>>152625290
>I have no idea what you guys are talking about BUT I KNOW THINGS
>>
>>152625100
>not "Wipe that look off your face."
>>
File: 1368619739876.png (22KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1368619739876.png
22KB, 645x773px
>>152625351
>tfw fell for the translator meme

stuck translating shitty japanese mobile games for 4 yen a character, on a good day I can reach 5k characters, but work is sparse, and japs are so fucking cliche I swear to god I could program a robot to do this job
>>
>>152625403
I don't like that but would be definitely much better than what was actually used.
>>
>>152623656
I'm fairly certain no one says triggered anymore and it should be translated to
"I'm so tilted"
>>
>>152625493
>so tilted
This put me on tilt.
>>
>>152625433
>stuck translating shitty japanese mobile games for 4 yen a character
Ouch. I can feel your pain. I get something like 10 euros for each standard sheet, and I'm not even working with hard stuff like you.
>>
>>152625317
truly a classic available in every high school library
>>
File: fukuda--7.7.jpg (18KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
fukuda--7.7.jpg
18KB, 210x240px
Satania's seiyu is godly, specially how she also made Fukuda.
>>
>>152625551
>mobile games
>hard stuff
Really?
>>
>>152625551
The worst part is is I know I could make more doing patents or specialized stuff, but that's EVEN MORE boring

Fuck I'm just gonna go back to school, my weeb days are over anyway
>>
>>152622978
But their translators are garbage.
Why do they pay these people?
>>
>>152625516
Fuck off retard, you're just repeating stuff that was already in the thread but you feel it's more valid when you say it because you have too big of an ego.
>>
File: bestgirl.jpg (12KB, 182x244px) Image search: [Google]
bestgirl.jpg
12KB, 182x244px
>>152625568
And the best girl last season.
>>
>>152625516
You clearly had no idea what the discussion inside this thread was about though, as evidenced by your reply to >>152625269

You're acting like a self-important faggot by stating the central reason for argument (Is this localization necessary? If it is, is it excessive?) as if it was something no one else had discussed before you entered this thread, and not something that had driven hundreds posts of criticism and debate.
>>
I wouldn't watch Horriblesubs but Sonarr seems to always download their subs, not sure if I can blacklist Horriblesubs.
>>
>>152624121
Why do you talk about Keigo and knowing respectful speeches and that people are buffons but can't find a better respectful formal speech?
>>
Every fucking day. Every single fucking day when I come home this little faggot just sits there and gives me this stupid look on her face. What should I do about her? Ideas?
>>
>>152624140
>we'll curse you
Here comes the retard who thinks he can talk in the name of the whole. Stick your "we" back into your ass.
>>
>>152625800
Rape her face. Problem solved.
>>
>>152625800
kiss her cheeks and tell her she is amazing every fucking day.
>>
>>152624237
That is, nothing except for your own taste?

"I'm delighted!" or "I'm so delighted!" keeps the Keigo idea well and it can flow to the next part without sounding awkward.
>>
>>152624405
So that why you translate it to your exact level of knowledge of the English language?
Cool.
>>
>>152624860
Good translators localize when it's necessary.
>>
>>152619780
But white American English is the only English that matters for subs.
>>
Why did Japs do this shit? Who looked at their language and thought "Yeah, this is good". Like leave the fact that its not gramatically similar to normal languages, but the fucking kanjis, hiragana and whatever the fuck take the piss. They might make some wonderful things, but goddamn their language is garbage.
>>
>>152626132
>normal languages
Are you a retard?
>>
File: 1484731353970.jpg (204KB, 1215x858px) Image search: [Google]
1484731353970.jpg
204KB, 1215x858px
>>152626132
It's what happens when you're stuck on an isolated island and your only human contact is China.
>>
File: 1370123280662.png (14KB, 663x456px) Image search: [Google]
1370123280662.png
14KB, 663x456px
>>152626132
>>
Mods = Gods!
>>
>>152626193
This isn't even right.
>>
>>152626192
then how do you explain Korean?
Sure it sounds more retarded(Chinese) than Japanese but at least they have a nice writing system.
>>
>>152626193
English needs a spelling reform real badly. But I agree with him that Japanese is garbage, specially the writing.
>>
>>152626132
It's way too late for them to fix shit now though, it's already fucked. As terrible as the three writing systems are, they can't get away without them anymore.
官庁、館長、艦長、浣腸、干潮、間諜、管長、完調
You know what all these scribble words have in common?
Almost nothing, except that they are all pronounced exactly the goddamn same.
>>
>>152626274
>complaining about homophones while typing in English
>>
>>152623586
I bet the character said うそだろう which isn't even "that's got to be a joke" but more literally "you must be lying".
>>
File: otter watermelon.jpg (92KB, 600x662px) Image search: [Google]
otter watermelon.jpg
92KB, 600x662px
>>152619389
Nu-/a/ will defend CommieRoll and alike, there's no need to point it out since they been doing this to almost every show they sub.
>>
>>152626309
I know anon, I know, pots, kettles, etc. But Japanese is way worse than English in that regard because of how limited their choice of distinct sounds are.
>>
>>152626193
>the o in women makes the short "i" sound
Not in any respectable English speaking nation.
>>
>>152626132
Only once you start trying to teach English to the nips do you realize how fucking retarded English is in comparison.
>>
>>152626345
They only have their phobia of consonants in clusters to blame.
>>
Before you hire a translator, ask them the Japanese word for "war," and its translation
>>
>>152626345
>limited... choice of distinct sounds
I'll concede on that.
>>
>>152626274
>>152626345
Homophones aren't even that great of a problem because of context. The same way you deal with them in English.
>>
>>152626428
Homographs is much a bigger problem, I think.
>>
>>152625800
I'd kiss her, so her cute smug would turn in a cute reddish embarrassed face.
>>
>>152626274
They would have said the same about old English, and look where it is now. The orthography is fucked beyond repair, but everything else is intuitive as hell.

>>152626242
The isolation doesn't mean you will get a fucked up language, it just means there's no outside corrective pressure to try and fix it. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a noticable correlation between how intuitive a language is, and how much intercultural communication they historically engaged in.
>>
>>152626428
What if you ask someone's profession and he tells you he's a りょうし?
>>
>>152619754
"I'm glad" isn't 1:1 translation.
>>
>>152626406
戦争(sensou)? Is there something special about it?
>>
>>152626492
He's a dragon samurai.
>>
>>152626492
You make an educated guess based on where you are or ask where he works.
>>
>>152626495
Still 1 million times less worse than that "pickling tringlpy" nonsensical gibberish.
>>
>>152626242
Korean barely sounds like Chinese.
>>
>>152626242
>21 vowel
>11 thousand syllabic combinations
>nice
Well, nothing is as bad as Japanese, to be fair.
>>
>>152623438
>Maybe it's a regional thing?
read more books nigger
>>
>>152626601
Books are often not an accurate representation of spoken language.
>>
>>152626542
Wolf. Dragon would be Ryu.
>>
>>152626544
You don't get the chance, because the moment he finished uttering those words he disintegrated and his ashes scattered to the winds. Then Satania herself rises from the pits of hell, stands before you and demands you make the correct choice between 漁師 and 猟師, else she will confine you to spend an eternity with worst girl.
What now, guy-who-thinks-he-can-ask-reasonable-questions guy?
>>
>>152626630
Ryo is an alternative form.
>>
>>152626242
Gook king said "Oh shit the majority of people can't read this chink bullshit" and had a phonetic system made and standardized.
But still, a handful of decades ago, you wouldn't be able to read a newspaper without a decent knowledge of Chinese characters because they were used similarly to how Kanji is used in Japanese writing now. And really, it increases readability, at least for the people who can recognize the characters.
>>
File: 1484596295751.jpg (257KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1484596295751.jpg
257KB, 1920x1080px
>>152626586
>21 vowels

You do realize English has about 20 vowels, right? The fact that you don't differentiate between them in spelling is not a good thing to brag about, and is part of what makes it so confusing for learners.
>>
>>152626808
English has shitty spelling so is no count. Other Romanic languages like Portuguese, Spanish or French use diacritics symbos to identify different variants of vowel sounds. It is much more elegant than actually having 21 different symbols for every single possible sound. ´ is an open sound, ~ is a nasal sound. that is pretty much it.
>>
>>152626808
The fact that the people who study this field for a living can't decide on the actual number of vowel sounds that English has, and often place it as low as 20 or as high as 27 just goes to show how much of a mess this language is.
>>
>>152626646
I would then say 漁師 because being a huntsman in this day and age as a profession is pretty unlikely.
>>
>>152626867
Fuck that, it's annoying as hell having to deal with diacritics.
I guess it helps if you know enough about the language to read things but not enough to be fluent, but if you're starting to learn or already expert they just get in the way.
>>
>Omake yo omake
Undefendable.
>>
>>152626942
I think it is much more intuitive than the random double consonants that makes absolute no sense in the English language. I'm pretty advanced in English grammar, comprehension and even speaking but still I suffer to get spelling of some words with double consonants right without a spellchecker.
>>
>>152626942
>>152626867
That being said, the way how spanish put ~ on the N instead of using a combination of consonants like NH in portuguese or GN in italian is idiotic. Spanish is not a very good romanic language, is a shitty version of Portuguese. Portuguese and Italian have much more well organized orthography. I don't know much about French, tough. They say German is pretty well organized despite being over-complicated, but I know nothing about that language.
>>
>>152624826
かか、低能がぁ
>>
>>152626982
They're going out of their way to include religious vocabulary, this is even more retarded than cat puns when a character says nyaa.
>>
>>152626867
There are better ways to do it, yes, but not doing it at all is not an improvement, and that is what a lot of languages do.

>>152626881
I haven't looked much into the topic of different phonetic inventory frameworks, is it mostly an issue with regional varieties and perhaps the definition of what still counts as a different vowel? (e.g. is short "a" counted as the same as long "a:"?)

They might be getting a few extra vowels by including vowels that only exist in AE in the same list as vowels that only exist in BE. And then the question becomes if we have to start also adding African English and Indian English vowels to that list.

If that's all they're doing, it isn't so much a problem with the language, and more a simple disagreement on definitions.
>>
>>152627053
nani? romaji de okakikudasai
>>
>>152619512
>Is Daiz dead?
He's HIV positive but not full blown AIDS yet, so he hasn't died but is much less active than he used to be.
>>
>>152624964
I remember when this kind of translation was just a joke we used to make fun of fansubbers...
>>
>character says "omake"
>subs say "extra cookie in a devil's dozen"

Is gg working for crunchy now?
>>
File: 1467045020854.png (105KB, 1200x450px) Image search: [Google]
1467045020854.png
105KB, 1200x450px
>it's yet another "complaining about variety in translation of short phrases instead of using the same stock translation every single time regardless of context and tone to satisfy my pretensions of understanding Japanese" episode
>>
>>152627092
Some speakers pronounce "Rosa's" and "roses" identically, some don't. Also "Mary/marry/merry", that kind of thing
>>
>>152627092
I'm definitely not an expert on the subject and I haven't touched on it in a few years, I was just struck by the inability for people to offer a solid number. If I remember correctly, it didn't have anything to do with non-Anglosphere English, and the long vowels weren't up for debate. I think that one of it "i" sounds might have been in contention but I don't remember which one. I think it was more to do with whether or not two sounds were distinct enough to be considered separate sounds.
Not vowels, but a concrete example I know: Light L and Dark L are sometimes treated as distinct sounds, and sometimes aren't. That's definitely just a definition disagreement, but I think some arguments are to do with regional differences.
>>
File: 1484727204334.png (584KB, 589x720px) Image search: [Google]
1484727204334.png
584KB, 589x720px
>>152627157
>romaji de
>>
>>152627293
You took your time.
>>
So what's the best subs for this show?
>>
fuck daiz

8-bit niggas represent
>>
File: potato.jpg (177KB, 1500x785px) Image search: [Google]
potato.jpg
177KB, 1500x785px
>>152626193
>>
File: 1448122803939.jpg (44KB, 301x267px) Image search: [Google]
1448122803939.jpg
44KB, 301x267px
>>152627293
Thank you
>>
File: hadena.jpg (614KB, 2132x1804px) Image search: [Google]
hadena.jpg
614KB, 2132x1804px
There also was this.
>>
>>152623927
How is an idiomatic expression keigo again?
>>
>>152627372
That still wouldn't change the number of vowels, unless they invent a new vowel that they only use for the word "Rosa's".

>>152627379
Ah, that's what you mean. Light and dark L are a very different problem, basically consonants are based on an insane number of different factors that "could" distinguish them (manner, location, aspiration, retroflex, voiced, .....), but there's usually only a few of the characteristics that matter for distinguishing a sound. So if the same language might pronounce the same consonant in a few different ways, but it never matters which one they use, all of these are combined into one so called "phoneme".

Dark and light L are the case where people have the habit of using a particular one for particular words, but there is not a single instance in the language where the difference between light and dark L actually changes the word. That's probably where the disagreement over it comes from.
>>
>>152627703
>last time I worked with hadena

HAHAHAHA OW WOW! This faggot actually complains about ungrateful leechers for doing an horrible job? Guess fucking what, just because you do a shit job for free, it still is shit and you are absolutely not free of any sort of criticism whatsoever. Stop being a little sensitive bitch.

>but people complain about my work!
STOP FUCKING DOING IT THEM, YOU INCOMPETENT LITTLE CUNT.

Oh, wait, you already did. Then don't post this garbage picture anymore.
>>
>>152626406
"A need for more cows"
>>
>>152627939
"A desire for more cows", important nuance.
>>
>>152627792
Yes it does. Some people have this vowel called a schwi, which is what they reduce their i's and e's into, while others reduce any vowel to the good ol' schwa.
>>
>>152627703
I actually unironically miss Hadena
Better to have some shitsubs around than absolutely nothing
>>
File: meme.png (401KB, 779x584px) Image search: [Google]
meme.png
401KB, 779x584px
>>152628052
Of course anon, you're correct.
Could you help me with translating this then?
>>
you people are going to have a stroke if you played FFXIV
>>
>>152628133
"I will tickle your pink weapon"
>>
Next time I'll hear a tsundere female say "B-BAKA!" to her love interest, I'll mentally register it as "You sir are such a dimwitted nincompoop" and will mail ALL fansubbing groups so that it becomes the generally accepted translation for the word in that context.

After, it's the same meaning so why not?
>>
>>152628088
That's a dialect issue, I can't find anything about there being a disagreement on whether "schwi" exists, just that it only exists in specific variations (e.g. London, South African, Southern American, Southeastern English, Inland Southern American). Different dialects have different phoneme inventories.
>>
>>152628133
"Even electronic brain pancake crystal elderly"
>>
>>152628219
Methinks I am mayhap a smidge elated, perhap.
>>
>>152626193
But that's wrong.
The "gh" sound changes depending in where in a word it is located, and it's also not F, but kinda off from F.
The O in woman is procounced as subdued "uh", but not quite.

>>152627650
this isn't right either.
The sounds are all different.
>>
>>152619561
Definitely.
>>152628133
Kreis
>>
>>152628133
roughly:
"dimensional matrix attuned"
>>
File: oxford.png (30KB, 368x326px) Image search: [Google]
oxford.png
30KB, 368x326px
>>152628859
>and it's also not F, but kinda off from F.
>The O in woman is procounced as subdued "uh", but not quite.

Oxford seems to disagree.
>>
>>152628219
>{We're chewing the fat.}
>{I seem to have misplaced my keyboard.}
>>
So did CR fired their decent translators in their purge or what?
>>
File: hambaagaa.jpg (31KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
hambaagaa.jpg
31KB, 450x450px
>>152628133
"delicious american hamburgers"
>>
>>152627650
What the fuck is a hiccough?
>>
File: 1484111462607.png (129KB, 314x278px) Image search: [Google]
1484111462607.png
129KB, 314x278px
>Come to /a/
>It's actually /int/
>>
>>152627769
Keigo is mostly idiomatic expressions.
>>
>>152623618
TIME TO LEARN JAPANESE!
>>
>>152619511

In this case it's shit because instead of letting the visuals indicate the malicious intent and enjoyment, the words do it. I fucking hate the disconnect between what is verbally said, and why is written in the subs. I have eyes, I can see the context in-front of me. I just want basic literal translation, the rest you'll pick up through watching.
>>
>herkz is in this thread

The tranny can't even speak or understand Japanese. They just take up space in IRC.
>>
File: 1481138608657.jpg (57KB, 455x400px) Image search: [Google]
1481138608657.jpg
57KB, 455x400px
>>152624849
Not only is this sentence poorly structured, it's just fucking incomprehensible.
>>
>>152619389
itadakimasu
>>
File: 1484256929589.jpg (467KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1484256929589.jpg
467KB, 1280x720px
>>152629765
Maybe it's a metacommentary on the dangers of language deterioration.
>>
>>152627293
Senpai notice me
>>
File: 15498.jpg (55KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
15498.jpg
55KB, 848x480px
>>152627293
>>
I wish to tickle all their pinks.
>>
>>152619389
This is why we must destroy America.
>>
>>152623279
>Show me footage of any English native saying "I'm happy/joyful/glad" in a similar situation to that presented in the show.
>You'll never find one, because it's not proper English.

I hear "I'm glad" as a response all the fucking time. How retarded are you?
>>
You can imply politeness in English without using odd southern American talk. Whoever subs this is trying entirely too hard. Must be a new hire.
>>
>>152631360
How would you do it?
>>
>>152631493
Rub a dub for thanks ureshii (TL Note: ureshii means pink)
>>
>>152623138
This was commie right?
Fuck I don't remember anymore.
>>
>>152619389
>fansubs for moeshit show

Literally who cares
>>
>>152631857
That was Ayako.
>>
>>152628859
>woman
Read the image again.
Thread posts: 510
Thread images: 77

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.