[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Seeing that Anime is a visual medium, is art direction in a series

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Katanagatari_anime-wallpaper.jpg (299KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Katanagatari_anime-wallpaper.jpg
299KB, 1600x1000px
Seeing that Anime is a visual medium, is art direction in a series more important than the story?
>>
>>152586623
No. What's the point of good visuals without a story to tell with them
>>
Define visual medium.
>>
>>152586780
Types of visual media include digital and printed images, photography, graphic design, fashion, videos, architectural structures and fine arts. Visual media is seen on billboards, smartphones, newspapers, screen projectors, posters, televisions, computers and various other mediums and devices.
>>
I would say, that both are important. Good writing or good art can both carry a show, but if either of them is horrible, the show will suffer. What am I trying to say is whichever has the greater absolute value will determin how good is a show.
>>
>>152586819
Give me your own definition, faggot, not some shit you googled.
https://www.reference.com/technology/types-visual-media-18e9b6c9751ecd10
>>
>>152586869
A medium taken in with the eyes, not solely through sound or even text, really, I guess. Something where the benefit of the media is the fact that it is perceived visually.
>>
I'd say storyboarding/scene composition is more important. Obviously it depends more on the message the work is trying to convey, but whether that message is a story, a statement or an emotion if it cannot convey it's message properly then it fails as a work of media. Storyboarding is the process of conveying the message of the work so it is more important then just good visuals or good writing.
>>
>>152586916
Anime, or other similar media like tv shows or movies isn't just limited to visuals and incorporate other stuff like audio, and narrative techniques. If you ask me, all these elements need to work together to produce something good. You can have good art direction but that is kinda wasted if you have shitty audio or a story your audience won't get invested in.
>>
>>152587028
I don't think you can call any good work wasted. People tend to like a good story, but it doesn't make a work whose focus is on visual and artistic direction less good.
Besides the essence of good art direction is to present whatever happens in a way that touches the audience even on a subconscious level, and excellent art direction is likely to make you invested in the plot, whatever it happens to be.
>>
>>152587209
>Besides the essence of good art direction is to present whatever happens in a way that touches the audience even on a subconscious level, and excellent art direction is likely to make you invested in the plot, whatever it happens to be.
Thats not art direction, thats storyboarding. Art direction is how something looks, storyboarding is how something is presented.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storyboard
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.