[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was this shit any good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: akira-image.jpg (2MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
akira-image.jpg
2MB, 1680x1050px
Was this shit any good?
>>
maybe?
>>
>>152490332
The visuals were great, but the story and characters were meh and best. Second most overrated anime movie.
>>
>>152492900
there are people here on this board who will still praise the most overrated
>>
>>152490332
it was alright.

Far from "GREATEST ANIME MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!111"
>>
>>152490332
kanye liked it so yes.
>>
Read the manga and watch the anime. The manga is the fully realized version and has a great story. The anime has some of the best visuals I have ever seen.
>>
>>152492900
without going into what you consider the first most, I agree.

The real shame is, the manga's not much better. It's longer, but it doesn't use the extra space to develop characters any further, and the plot expansions don't go anywhere, either. It's also surprisingly repetitive - Tetsuo turns into a giant baby twice, the city is destroyed in a spherical explosion at least two times, and the orbital canon is fired a half-dozen times.

The movie included all the key story beats and visual elements, while packing them into a tighter space, and retaining the same intense energy. Because the manga is just endless fucking action, all of it well-executed. It just becomes a little empty when there's nothing else going on aside from that breathless action.
>>
>>152490332

Fuck off Reddit

>There are normies on here who never had their weeb Dad (thanks to the fact his Mom took many trinkets from Japan since she was in a military family) show you his special edition of Akira, sparking their interest in Anime.
>>
>>152490332
One of the best anime movies, even if you're not interested in sci-fi or anything it's worth watching. Great story, and so good visually that it inspired a whole generation of animators.
>>
>>152490332
Akira is a gateway anime of the best kind
>>
manga >>>>> movie
>>
>>152492993
While Akira (the manga) is one of my favorite manga of all time, I can't disagree with anything you said. You're absolutely correct with your criticism.

> It just becomes a little empty when there's nothing else going on aside from that breathless action.
I never thought about it that way, but you're right. The story does feel a bit empty when you're treated to crazy intense action sequence after crazy intense action sequence. Yeah, it's cool, but what else is there?

I do wish they had delved into the characters a bit more. I've reread the first volume countless times, looking for more insight into Tetsuo's character pre-insanity. But there's really not a lot there. And there's isn't even much to indicate exactly how Tetsuo changed, personality-wise, from being a normal member of the Capsules to awakening his powers and becoming a lunatic. Was he a deranged fucking psychopath the whole time? It's frustratingly unclear.

>The movie included all the key story beats and visual elements, while packing them into a tighter space, and retaining the same intense energy

I will disagree with this. The movie makes far less sense than the manga, seeing it on it's own. I watched the film after reading the manga, so I knew what was going on. But I showed the movie to a friend and he had no idea what was happening. The movie is fun to watch, sure, but it doesn't make a lot of sense unless you've read the manga and are familiar with the story already.

I also find the subtle differences in Tetsuo's character in the film and in the manga interesting.
>>
>>152493356
What parts of the film didn't make sense? I've never read the manga, and I felt nothing was missing from the movie.
>>
File: 6135703915312.png (1MB, 3555x2198px) Image search: [Google]
6135703915312.png
1MB, 3555x2198px
>>152492900
Oh, the salt
>>
File: akira.jpg (570KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
akira.jpg
570KB, 1920x1080px
>>152493356
Yeah, for a story that basically hinges on a few characters, Tetsuo is just all over the board. Which is good to characterize him as a dangerous psychopath, but it makes the multiple "oh is his character gonna develop" moments frustrating when it's just back to drugs and destruction.

I think Akira is best read/watched as an action movie - it does not disappoint in that realm. Gorgeous artwork in both, truly top-class. But it really doesn't have anything to say with the themes it raises - the ending of the manga contains this wonderful spread, but it also hand-waves away Akira and the other psychic children as just choosing to gtfo. And it bugs me that after all the shit, Kaneda and the rest are gonna rob the humanitarian forces and continue to be jerk-off punks? There's no development for Kaneda at all, any arc is undone. And Kei is cool with this shit now, she hasn't been opened to any deeper truths from being a medium?
>>
File: Nausicaa.jpg (143KB, 1166x850px) Image search: [Google]
Nausicaa.jpg
143KB, 1166x850px
>>152490332
It's visually impressive, but not the best movie made in the 80's
>>
>>152493555
80s anime film owns, there are so many good ones that choosing a best is impossible
>>
>>152493643
QTF
>>
File: IMG_3916.jpg (86KB, 1280x692px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3916.jpg
86KB, 1280x692px
Has some of the greatest visuals I've ever seen in an animation. The plot isn't much of anything special but it's still fairly good. Characters are pretty weak as a whole. Definetly worth a watch
>>
>>152493643
did good anime movies stop happening? I continue to enjoy modern televised anime, there's so MUCH of it these days that you can't help but hit a few gems, just ignore all the rest of the trash but I can't think of an anime film I've seen in the past decade that was remotely memorable.
>>
>>152493784
and let's not forget the sound design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpDvtIt6Lsc
>>
>>152493555
Nausicaa was garbage.

So was Akira but at least that had an interesting set-piece.
>>
>>152493843
they both have excellent manga, though
>>
>>152493917
Both mangas lasted longer than they shoud, tho.
Finishing both was a terrible chore.

>>152493843
Shut it. NausicaƤ is excellent.
>>
>>152494048
>NausicaƤ is excellent.
I agree, Ferngully: The Anime was really good.
>>
I don't know
>>
Never understood why this is so highly praised.. I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more if I didn't go into it with such high expectations.

It's worth a viewing.
>>
>>152493843
I was severely disappointed in the Nausicaa movie, because it wasn't anywhere as good as the manga, which was great.
I watched/read Nausicaa late, after hearing so much about how they were the end all be all.
After reading the manga, I could see what people were saying, but then going on to the movie? Looked nice at points but that's about it.
>>
>>152490332
Its an amazing visual animation, its a shit story like most adaptations, if you know the source material, you get FAR more out of it then just pretty images.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.