[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chinese Rebel Against Long LN Titles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

File: Not isekai for once.jpg (453KB, 1429x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Not isekai for once.jpg
453KB, 1429x2048px
>I'm a Chinese scholar translating cultural imports from a tributary, but the titles of their popular literature are just too long! I decided to overthrow the ruling dynasty and seize the Mandate of Heaven?!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/01/16-1/chinese-translators-rebel-against-long-light-novel-titles
>>
Fuck them. Nobody cares about chink opinions.
>>
>Link Out! I can't logout?! Because I got stuck in a death game with 10,000 other players, I decided to take charge and clear the game!
>>
>>152313836
Japs might care since chinks are their biggest overseas market.
>>
Did his "blah blah blah" title trend start with Oreimo? Or has it been going on for longer?
>>
>>152314149
I doubt Oreimo started the trend, but it was the first high-profile long-ass-title series.
>>
>>152313752
They should rebel against the garbage anime that gets produced based on their novels first.
>>
I fully support our chinese overlords in this. The long titles are retarded
>>
Isn't Chinese a more compact language than Japanese?
>>
>>152314648
I am constantly mystified by the decisions that the Japanese publishing industry make.

First of all, you don't see a trend of using long ass retarded titles anywhere else. At least, in the western world, you don't walk into a book store and see english titles that are this retarded. No western publisher would make a trend of doing this and I'm pretty sure that any attempt to get a book published with a retarded long ass title would fail the moment an editor read it and said "no".

But Japanese editors allow and apparenty encourage it. Why? Naze? How did this even start? Even if ONE editor did it...all the other editors in the industry should have laughed at him and NOT followed suit.

Not to mention the blatant acceptance of plagiarism in the Japanese publishing industry.
>>
>>152315520
Slightly, you're still looking at a 50+ word title.
>>
File: 9e7.jpg (17KB, 405x289px) Image search: [Google]
9e7.jpg
17KB, 405x289px
>>152315590
>Why? Naze?
>>
>>152315590
>I'm confused why the Japanese market functions differently from western ones
There, I simultaneously shortened and answered your post for you. What's next, being puzzled over why the Japanese eat rice?
>>
>>152315994
Thats not a very comparison. Plenty of people in the west eat rice. Its also important to understand WHY...not just "lol they are different".

E.G. Its common knowledge that chinese companies tend to lie and say that they can do something when they cant...but the reason as to why they do this is more complex than "lol they are differnet". They do it because they are scared of saying no and because the way they conduct business assumes you already know this.
>>
>>152315520
Titles are too important to be compacted too much.
The Chinese really are an important market for the Japs, so I guess this protest will go somewhere.
>>
>>152313752
>China will invade Japan for the sake of shortening their LN titles.
I don't typically side with commies but I will make an exception.
>>
>>152315590
I remember reading an article way ago about nips being too lazy to read the summary on the book backside.

So how do you tell somebody what your book is about when they don't read that?
You put a summary into the title. Everybody reads titles at the very least.
>>
>>152316306
Honestly I barely ever read synopsis for anything anymore, just the cover and the title. What usually catches my attention are short titles or vague stuff like the one in the OP.
I actually appreciate the long titles a bit, kinda tells you if something is worth any more of your time or not from the title alone, and considering the amount of crap there is out there, it's pretty useful to have the synopsis in the title.
>>
>>152316306
>too lazy to read the summary

What the fuck. How is that even possible? If you are too lazy to read the summary, you wouldn't be capable of finishing the book in the first place.
>>
>>152315590
It isn't currently the fashion for English titles, but check out the full titles of some of Daniel Defoe's stories.
>>
File: 1475526529062.jpg (66KB, 668x716px) Image search: [Google]
1475526529062.jpg
66KB, 668x716px
>
a.^ It was published under the full title The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates.

Fucking seriously? These LNs are getting out of hand.
>>
>>152313752
Everyone fucking dies in this LN. Why did they even decide to animate it is beyond anyone's mind.
>>
File: dafoe grand budapest.jpg (32KB, 515x640px) Image search: [Google]
dafoe grand budapest.jpg
32KB, 515x640px
>>152316591

Goddamit, Willem, please discipline your kid
>>
>>152316608
>The Fortunes and Misfortunes of the Famous Moll Flanders, &c. Who was Born in Newgate, and during a Life of continu'd Variety for Threescore Years, besides her Childhood, was Twelve Year a Whore, five times a Wife (whereof once to her own Brother), Twelve Year a Thief, Eight Year a Transported Felon in Virginia, at last grew Rich, liv'd Honest, and died a Penitent. Written from her own Memorandums.
Just like LNs
>>
>>152316608
I love this title more than I love you.
>>
>>152316591
>>152316608
Reminds me of some parliamentary laws where the official names are ridiculously long, like how the Patriot Act is officially "An Act to deter and punish terrorist acts in the United States and around the world, to enhance law enforcement investigatory tools, and for other purposes.".
>>
>>152316608
>Travels into Several Remote Nations of the World. In Four Parts. By Lemuel Gulliver, First a Surgeon, and then a Captain of several Ships
>>
>>152316608

And the sequel

>The Farther Adventures of Robinson Crusoe; Being the Second and Last Part of His Life, And of the Strange Surprising Accounts of his Travels Round three Parts of the Globe

The cash-grab spinoff:

>Serious reflections during the life and surprising adventures of Robinson Crusoe: with his Vision of the angelick world
>>
That should teach them to fix their character limits on their databases.
>>
>>152313752
>cultural imports from a tributary,
>tributary
>>
>>152314149
>Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
>>
File: 1455392482983.jpg (151KB, 864x746px) Image search: [Google]
1455392482983.jpg
151KB, 864x746px
>>
>>152313752
why is every single Light novel just a rip off from Sword art Online and Dot Hack?
>>
>>152320337
>Pounded In the Butt By My Book "Pounded In the Butt By My Own Butt"
>Reamed By My Reaction To The Title Of This Book
>Lonely Author Pounded By Dinosaur Social Media Followers
Are we witnessing some author's slow descent into madness?
>>
File: 1455392194457.png (2MB, 1448x1510px) Image search: [Google]
1455392194457.png
2MB, 1448x1510px
>>152320623
He is still creating his masterpieces somehow.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Tingle
>>
>>152320623
Chuck Tingle is the greatest living author.
>>
>>152315520
>Isn't Chinese a more compact language than Japanese?

Yes, but a long-ass title in Japanese will still be pretty long in Chinese.

And in my opinion, the fact that Chinese is a more succinct language than Japanese could be one reason they dislike long titles.
>>
>>152315520
According to the article:
>It's been pointed out that the longer the title is, the more difficult the book becomes to catalog in a database, where space is at a premium.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/01/16-1/chinese-translators-rebel-against-long-light-novel-titles

This I can understand, even though hanzi take up less spaces than an alphabet, most fields on Chinese websites don't allow you to input that many characters.
>>
>>152316306
>>152316588
The market is just so ridiculously oversaturated that they have to put the synopsis on the front to get potential readers to pick it up instead of the countless other LNs on the shelves.
>>
>>152314149
Probably made it popular
>>
>>152320337

Anon, spamming your work isn't perrmitted unless you pay hiroshimoot adbux.
>>
>>152316306
that actually makes sense
Imagine your average eleven looking for his next LN among tons and tons of titles trying to be the next SAO. Hell, even after all the things that we get to check from here there must be a pile of garbage that isn´t worth translating
In such an environment you need to catch attention fast
>>
When I clicked OP's link I hoped to see examples of how Chinese translators rebel, as in translate some overly long titles into something shorter, but I was clickbaited into nothing.
>>
>>152320337
Does dinosaur and unicorn mean a specific thing for the gay community or is this guy just nuts?
>>
>>152313752
Topic aside, that's an actually good story, setting is very much like Hyouketsu Kyoukai no Eden.
>>
>>152318040
Subtle brainwashing by capitalist-commies.
>>
File: 1407227948801.png (11KB, 470x454px) Image search: [Google]
1407227948801.png
11KB, 470x454px
>>152320865
>pounded in the butt by my own butt
>>
>>152328585
>終末なにしてますか? 忙しいですか? 救ってもらっていいですか?
>末日時在做什麼?有沒有空?可以來拯救嗎?

Came here to see some ridiculously compressed title like what they did with "Gone with the Wind". Is of disappoint.
>>
>>152320865
This has to be satire.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.