[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What made SAO so easy to demonize? Something that's merely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

File: Annoyed Kirito.png (1MB, 2208x1242px) Image search: [Google]
Annoyed Kirito.png
1MB, 2208x1242px
What made SAO so easy to demonize?

Something that's merely a power trip is as infamous as Mars of Destruction and School Days.
>>
Everything is easy to demonize if you have a mind to do it.
>>
>>152268010

It's normalfag pandering
>>
>>152268047
But even normalfags see it as the devil incarnate these days thanks to e-celebs.
>>
File: 1467452652334.png (124KB, 305x363px) Image search: [Google]
1467452652334.png
124KB, 305x363px
>>152268010
>What made SAO so easy to demonize?
On /a/? It's popular, that's enough to hate it. One Punch Man, KonoSuba, Attack on Titan etc. also get hate here?

On the wider internet? Well, because it's actually bad. It's actually bad and popular, but not so bad it's good or painfully bad. In fact, behind all the bad writing is the potential of a good story. It gets so much hate because of what it promised us in the first two or three episodes (which were flawed but not bad) and what it failed to deliver on. He has himself acknowledged that his story is full of plot holes though, and originally SAO was intended as a story for a webnovel competition so we shouldn't expect greatness from him.

I also understand why it's so popular though. It's a MMORPG death game with an overpowered protagonist who gets all the pussies wet. If I were 14, I'd be self-inserting as Kirito so hard and consider him a total badass. That's probably the target audience of this show, and it keeps them satisfied until they're old enough to know better.
>>
>>152268094
>He has himself acknowledged
By "he" I of course meant Reiki Kawahara. I should proofread before posting.

Also, pesonally I think Accel World is a lot better and I think it shows Kawahara has developed as an author. Sure, it's not great, but it's not filled with horrible writing in the same way SAO is. It still reeks of some SAO elements but it has a less bland main character, a male supporting character that actually matters (and becomes pretty likeable later on), (slightly) less harem shenanigans [even though in both series the MCs are already in committed relationships] etc.

In fact, making the OP "can do anything without breaking a sweat" character the love interest rather than the MC makes the MCs struggles more engaging but that's to be expected of Jesus-kun's daughter.
>>
>>152268010
reddit loved it, so /a/ hated it
kinda like no game no life.
>>
>>152268094
>On /a/? It's popular, that's enough to hate it. One Punch Man, KonoSuba, Attack on Titan etc. also get hate here?

Except KonoSuba and OPM are more liked than disliked on /a/ and AoT is mainly only discussed in their manga containment thread.
>>
>>152268080
Wait, normalfags started hating SAO? When the hell did this happen?
>>
>>152268010
The source material is just trash. Plain and simple. The anime actually wasn't completely irredeemably bad throughout the 2 seasons. S2 was pretty alright in some episodes but ultimately it can't really cover the stinking story.
>>
File: glop.png (60KB, 961x789px) Image search: [Google]
glop.png
60KB, 961x789px
>>152268010

2 Years worth of semen
>>
>>152268193
E-celebs who came at the right time with the right criticism.
>>
>>152268010
Because it's upfront about what it is and people can't accept that their hobby is just escapist garbage. Anime is probably lower than even YA fiction novels, yet you don't see YA readers acting like elitists. They all know and accept that they're reading shit, but anime watchers are manchildren who can't accept reality.
>>
>>152268600
Except that's wrong. Plenty of anime is way more openly escapist. If anything SAO tries to veil it. Do you really think people who watch TLR think they are watching high art instead of escapist entertainment? SAO is hated because it's shit. Plain and simple.
>>
>>152268600
>hurr durr just accept what you like is """"objectively"""" bad and give up your standards altogether
>>
File: ifonlyuwherehere.jpg (52KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
ifonlyuwherehere.jpg
52KB, 960x720px
Because its so bad that even people who don't know shit know its shit.

And what if Kircheis was in it then maybe he could've made it the best anime of all time.

Just that simple really.
>>
>>152268010
Because it has the most unlikable characters of any work of fiction I have come across.
>>
>>152268679
Most unapologetic power trips tend to get dropped. Without lying to itself would SAO be worthy of being demonized? Nah, only forgotten and bad rather than anime Satan.

>>152268703
Standards never existed for anime to start with.

That's how Mars of Destruction and Gundoh Musashi existed.

I'm not advocating SAO's lack of quality but anime tends devolve into non-standards
>>
File: CxBUPIRWIAAFVi-.jpg (35KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
CxBUPIRWIAAFVi-.jpg
35KB, 400x533px
Even if the MC wasn't a shitty Mary Sue edgelord it'd still be bland and awful.

I've experienced both in full and I can attest SAO is the Twilight of anime, down to similar quality in writing and logic behind plot.
>>
>>152268010
>What made SAO so easy to demonize?
It's popu-

>>152268094
Oh. Well someone already did the job for me.

It IS on a whole other level of popularity compared to other shows, so comparisons can't be made to series which are "well received" but do only passably in sales and merchandise. Due to its somewhat harem nature it will absolutely attract certain elements which are disliked by those who feel that they are the elite of the world's animoo watchers, as opposed to other wildly popular series where relationships tended to take a backseat.

It does not help that the main character is competent enough to get (most) things done easily enough that he can be playful about it in certain ways. This makes it really difficult for some people to self-insert into him because they cannot imagine doing some of the feats that Kirito pulls off regularly, and this makes them really mad for whatever reason. Compare this to protagonists who are much more incompetent and thus "relatable"; they are more often than not well liked and celebrated.
>>
>>152268094
>That's probably the target audience of this show, and it keeps them satisfied until they're old enough to know better.
This is exactly why /a/ shits on it. The large majority of its fanbase is teenagers who think it's some kind of masterpiece because they have seen literally 5 shows. The open hostility is an attempt to keep that kind of people out.
>>
>>152268010
How many shitty power trip fantasies do you know that were as popular as SAO?
>>
>>152268278
Wat
>>
>>152269681
Popularity should not be the deciding factor of what makes SAO bad.

Most power trips drown in the ocean of dropped on episode 1; what made this worthy of demonizing over many forgotten and buried power trips other than gullible retards?
>>
>>152269159
>It does not help that the main character is competent enough to get (most) things done easily enough that he can be playful about it in certain ways. This makes it really difficult for some people to self-insert into him because they cannot imagine doing some of the feats that Kirito pulls off regularly
I can't speak for everyone obviously, but for me it was more frustrating because nothing he does challenges him, and so there is no tension. A lot of people rag on the scene in episode 7 (I think) where a dozen mid-level players attack him and he recovers damage faster than they can deal it. I don't mind that, this is actually possible in MMORPGs: if you're high enough level and your enemies low enough, you WILL recover damage faster than they can deal it.

What upset me though was what excited me the most at first. Spoilers because I'm about to ruin the ending to the Aincrad arc. Heathcliff was the first person we encountered that was truly on the level of Kirito. It finally appeared as if we found Kirito's place on the power scale: powerful, but by far not the best. It also demonstrated there were other players with unique abilities that were getting stronger and stronger while Kirito goofed off. It felt like a sign that Kirito should start taking things seriously. But of course the only guy stronger than Kirito was the villain himself, and Kirito had to defeat him by literally coming back from the dead.

So the problem isn't that he's a social, succesful person. The problem is that he's overpowered to the point where nothing really challenges him. And unlike in OPM it's not played for laughs.

Still, I insist the show didn't get -bad- until Alfheim.
>>
Sword art online is good at what it tried to do - that being an isekai self insert story for preteens. These things will always exist no point complaining about it. Preteens need entertainment too.
>>
>>152269843
Your favorite anime probably also has a pre-teen to teen target audience.
>>
>>152269930
Absolutely not. Anime is shit in general though.
>>
>>152269821
That Laughing Coffin guy with the estoc gave him a good run for his money.
>>
>>152268188
Clearly you weren't in the Konosuba threads. Now that is popular and not a surprise, its quite hated.
>>
>>152268010
School Days is not that infamous

Also, SAO was only demonized in /a/ in general the opinions go from "average" onwards. Is not really very demonized.
>>
>>152270042
The show isn't hated as much as people hate the /r/anime tier posters that watch the show and post garbage on the board.
>>
>>152269821
>>152270012
Also the crammed pace of the story that skips a lot of world and character building is a negative that is related to this somewhat. Even though he's overpowered you get to see how he gets to that point, starting out as someone who is at least a competent gamer amongst an army of people who are the type to probably forget the tutorial's instructions one hour into play. The context given would have made him seem less implausible and less out-of-nowhere.

It wouldn't be so bad if SAO was its entire 1st season with all the earlygame drama rather than the rush to the Sachi thing and beyond. Then again, maybe Progressive's comical tone may have clashed too much.
>>
>>152268010
The whole premise isn't really much worse or better than your average haremshit of the season. Overpowered MC? Pretty much a norm. Asspulls, power of love/friendship, MC winning just because isn't anything unusual. As for the harem - the guy is a top frontline player, has cute face and doesn't behave like a complete beta, so it isn't even that nonsensical. And in one aspect SAO is miles above the other harem series - MC actually picks the girl, kisses her and even fucks her.

Where it really fails is execution - A1 fucked up completely, by just mashing a one-shot for a contest and a bunch of short stories together, which resulted in a complete clusterfuck, with sudden mood shifts, characters appearing and disappearing, main romance being a mess and general chaos.
If they actually had put some effort and done something similar to Progressive, which is way better than original, the anime would've been pretty decent for a harem, especially with not bad soundtrack and visuals. Of course I'm not talking about Pointy Ears Arc, because that part is utter garbage beyond any salvation.

As for why it's so hated on /a/, it's because for some reason it got popular. Popular in a very bad way, similar to Naruto and DBZ, spawning lots of low power level retards. And since elitism is strong with this board, being vocal and obnoxious about hating SAO became an easy way of fitting in the elite club of anime pros.
If it wasn't for that, I guarantee no one would be talking about it here.
>>
I guess this thread will do.

>——Were there any requests like "Please make a story like this" from the production staff?
>Kawahara: Firstly, I was the one who made a proposal: "Which would you like more, making a new story set chronologically after the end of the TV anime, or rebooting the 《Aincrad》 arc with a new approach?". The answer I received was "Let's make a new story rather than a reboot.", so I then began writing an original story.
Movie confirmed for killing Progressive anime.

>——Seeing as this story will be a movie, and it could even be said to have an all-star cast due to all the characters that will appear, will there be any characters that will be particularly featured?
Kawahara: I was not aware of this while writing the story, but Liz's and Silica's screentime has increased. I even had 120 minutes to work with, so their screentime increased rapidly as I fleshed out the story. Particularly, Silica became a rather important key character.
Deban da.

As an aside, Eiji kinda looks like Shivata, no? The trailer mentions the boss looking like the 10th floor raid boss, and if that has anything to do with Eiji, that means he was probably an early Clearer. And he has the purple color scheme going.
>>
>>152270042
It was always popular, Megumin was Reddits favorite girl from that season. The first episode was just kind of trash
>>
>>152268010
even the obnoxious pre-teens only like the first half because the second ventured dangerously into rape. and that is by far too uncomfortable for sheltered 14 year olds.
>>
>>152268010
It's popular for being nothing.

Kirito is a gary stu. Has powers nobody else can ever get and everyone likes him.
>>
>>152268010
It's one of a trillion bland, chuuni-pandering garbage LNs. Honestly, it's only popular because it came out at the right time, like 50 Shades.
>>
>>152268010
they wrote off Sinon after one arc
>>
>>152268284
>e celebs
>right criticism
They just want to be seen as cool by hating on popular stuff
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.