[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just marathoned Vagabond in a single day reading nonstop, just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10

Just marathoned Vagabond in a single day reading nonstop, just couldn't put it down.

Anyone want to discuss it or have any insight on it? I ended up enjoying the Farm Arc a lot more then i thought i would after hearing about it.
>>
File: img000019.jpg (420KB, 719x1200px) Image search: [Google]
img000019.jpg
420KB, 719x1200px
>>152116057
I liked the farming arc as well, but much of the hate it gets is due to the slow pacing and the frequent hiatuses around that time which neither of us experienced. It's a great manga imo, among my favourites. I did not like the choice to make Matahachi the narrator, though.
>>
It's a fantastic ride with obviously great art and good arcs. I don't want to sound like a fag, but it really made me think too. One of my favorites and will reread it all when it is finally finished (whenever that will be).
>>
>>152117847
Did you become invincible under the sun?
>>
Truly one of the better character development in manga. Others including Yuu from Holyland and arguably Kaneki ken from edgy ghoul
>>
>I ended up enjoying the Farm Arc a lot more then i thought i would after hearing about it.
I thought that was Vinland Saga? I've read ~180 chapters of Vagabond and I don't remember a Farm Arc.

Farmland Saga was great though.
>>
>>152118750
Did you really forget Musashi having to learn how to plow rice from grumpy jiisan for a couple of volumes with the occasional shot to the starving villagers?
>>
>>152118750
Farmland saga was comfy. Watching Thorfinn plow and clear out a piece of land was nearly a euphoric experience.
>>
>>152118879
I remember he stayed in that jiisan's house for a while but I don't remember it being that focused on farming, wasn't he the sensei of that bald smiling fuck? Or am I confusing it with something else?
>>
>>152118982
You're getting it mixed up, I guess you're thinking of the bald spearman's master.
>>
>>152116057
Musashi mass slauthering the Yoshioka is one of the best thing I've ever read, it was so intense it was unreal.
>>
>>152116057
go read REAL
>>
>>152119289
I haven't read Berserk but I feel like the Yoshioka slaughter was the 100-man fight done right.
>>
>>152119643
Guts just mows them down and gets tired afterwards, the approach Musashi used made it look like it was almost feasible. Not to mention the finale with the chump third man Yoshioka destroying his leg was superb.
>>
>>152119373
Real what?
Real manga?
Real Book of Five Rings?
>>
>>152116057
If you read through a lot of chapters at once, then both the farming arc in Vagabond and the farming arc in Vinland Saga are actually quite good, and both are very important to the story.

What kills me is that I'm pretty sure the story is near its conclusion. But it's going to be years before we get another chapter.
>>
File: 33o4h9i.jpg (306KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
33o4h9i.jpg
306KB, 1024x768px
>>152120936
No, REAL. I honestly think it is better than Vagabond, and that is saying something because Vagabond is incredible.
>>
File: 49787071_p0_master1200.jpg (694KB, 1200x880px) Image search: [Google]
49787071_p0_master1200.jpg
694KB, 1200x880px
>>152116809
>I did not like the choice to make Matahachi the narrator, though.
Agreed. That came as a bit of a shock, and I didn't really think he was serious with it at first. Thought it might have been some jokey imagination thing, but then it wasn't. I think that chapter came right around Inoue first said he was losing interest in the series, right? I think it might have been a mistake made in that dissatisfaction stage.
>>
>>152118750
>Farmland Saga was great though.

Not for how long it went on for. It could have been done in a third of the time.
>>
>>152123049
I started reading Vinland Saga after the farmland arc ended so I didn't have to endure these excruciating months, was pretty enjoyable.

I'm really fucking hyped for Greece arc though since I'm a Greek myself and the mangaka is really good at portraying historical accuracy
>>
>>152122654
>I think it might have been a mistake made in that dissatisfaction stage.
That might very well be the case. That choice cheapens the story by introducing the possibility that Matahachi has made some stuff up after all the time spent on conveying Musashis's struggle.
>>
How?

Vagabond has absolutely atrocious pacing.

Sometimes I feel like we're still in that Kojiro arc.
>>
>>152116057

I received enlightenment from reading it.
"Invincible" "No.1" are just words.
Now, I'm ok being an unemployed failure.

Farming arc is good. But not that special.
>>
I liked the Hozoin arc a lot.
>>
>>152125752
It may be somewhat slow, but don't exaggerate. A fair amount happens in the manga. It's not like its pacing is boat-era Berserk or something.
>>
>>152116057
It's great. I feel like it doesn't need to finish, it's fine as it is. It's Siddhartha of manga.
>>
>>152125975
It certainly isn't because Berserk pacing is absolutely excellent. Meanwhile Vagabond had something like 13 volumes of that Kojiro shit going. Still not quite as bad as Zetman though.
>>
>>152123976
>tfw Baltic
>Read "Baltic Sea War (1)"
>Get hyped up for maybe seeing some of my homeland.
>Nope, some fag with a spear instakills some guy denying Thorkell his fun
>>
File: The_Mumified_Munk.jpg (317KB, 884x1024px) Image search: [Google]
The_Mumified_Munk.jpg
317KB, 884x1024px
>>152126063
It's on the right way to become living Buddha.

But if Inoue doesn't have anything to add to it it's fine.
>>
>>152125752
>Vagabond has absolutely atrocious pacing.
Entirely out of curiosity, have you read the source material?
>>
>>152126550
I'm the destination, you can't skim through me. Baltic Sea War was pretty fun though.

>>152125752
>Sometimes I feel like we're still in that Kojiro arc.
I wish we were.
>>
I'd rather reread the Eiji Yoshikawa novel. Just can't wrap my head around [spoilers]Kojiro being deaf-mute[/spoilers]
>>
File: 018.jpg (514KB, 1652x1200px) Image search: [Google]
018.jpg
514KB, 1652x1200px
If anything the clash of brush and pen gave me a massive erection each time.
>>
I also read it right after the rice paddy arc finished and I loved it all of it. At the same time, given the pacing I can only imagine how much less I would have loved it had I been reading along as it was released. That's the number one reason why I've resolved to put this and certain other manga down until they're really finished, otherwise the pace that I'd be forced to read at would seriously detract from my enjoyment of the story.

>>152124742
I wonder if the story Matahachi is telling on the bridge is not an analogue of the real events being shown in the rest of the manga rather than the other way around. We have yet to find out how Matahachi came to know all these stories so it could go either way.
>>
>>152127941
>I wonder if the story Matahachi is telling on the bridge is not an analogue of the real events being shown in the rest of the manga rather than the other way around. We have yet to find out how Matahachi came to know all these stories so it could go either way.
I'd guess that after Kojiro gets rekt by Musashi the latter will retire and reconcile with Matahachi who'll ask him to tell him about his life.
>>
I'm not quite sure what the meaning of "invincible is just a word" is in the contest of this manga. Musashi came to realize he wasted twenty-two years of his life mindlessly slaughtering people in the pursuit of the title of invincible only to regret having spilled so much blood when people started to call him that. Does it signify that just because you're called invincible it doesn't mean you actually are and thus it doesn't really matter? Does it mean you can't be invincible if you're trying so hard to become it since Kojiro who is just as good is a natural genious and couldn't care less for such a title and is just content? The kid who carried around the banner declaring him invincible looked like a parody of Musashi to me. So what's the message, does to be invincible mean something along the lines or reaching enlightment in the eastern philosophy?
>>
Only downside of this manga is the garbage pacing. Its one of those manga that you should read when its finished.

All in all im anticipating the day i read this fully after buying all Volumes.
>>
besides kojiro being deaf what else is different from the books?
>>
>>152129615
>Its one of those manga that you should read when its finished.
Funny man. Pretty sure Inoue isn't picking this up anymore.
>>
File: Vagabond v11 103.jpg (217KB, 800x1180px) Image search: [Google]
Vagabond v11 103.jpg
217KB, 800x1180px
>>152129177
"It's just a word" is meant to be understood in *all* contexts in Vagabond. It even plays on the idea of 'what do you think invincible means?' *Physiologically* cannot be cut? Cannot be cut *in combat*? *Will not* be cut?

A thought experiment that might help you grip onto the logic here is this: compare the logic bases of the thought of "I am invincible" and the thought of "I am everything and I am nothing".
>>
File: Vagabond v11 104-105.jpg (150KB, 1600x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Vagabond v11 104-105.jpg
150KB, 1600x1152px
>>152129823
>>
>>152129823
So can it be boiled down to "what matters is the journey"? You can't truly be invincibile but trying to become it makes you wiser and lets you undetstand life.
>>
>>152121305
Even if i dont care about basketball?
>>
>>152130359
I'd put it closer to "you are what you are, so let them say what they will"
>>
>>152130663
That's pretty nihilistic in this context.
>>
>>152131030
It's only nihilistic if you read it that way. Try to find its other reading(s).
>>
>>152117926
invincible under the sun is just a phrase
>>
>>152133066
invincible under the sun is just a phrase is just a phrase
>>
>>152128168
well, there is also the fact that musashi is kinda a "legend", most of the things inoue puts are from the novel, and that thing is not 100% true to history, he is a legend that was put in a place because of the time he lived, remember that it was a time of peace, and he started a loser.
>>
File: vagabond_v21_150.jpg (151KB, 737x1100px) Image search: [Google]
vagabond_v21_150.jpg
151KB, 737x1100px
>>152116057
It's wonderful in many respects. I just hope that one day, it will be finished. The rematch with Seijuro Yoshioka was hype as hell.
>>
>>152116809
>>152122654
>I did not like the choice to make Matahachi the narrator, though.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt like it came out of left field.
>>
Read the book of five rings fuccboi's
>>
>>152116809
>>152122654
>>152134973
I felt like it was a logical progression of Matahachi's character and was a great way to wrap up his character development, but I can see where you're coming from for him turning out to be the narrator for the entire series.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.