[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What determines a series popularity? For example, why is garbage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 15

File: Too_ebdf01_5346168.gif (430KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
Too_ebdf01_5346168.gif
430KB, 500x250px
What determines a series popularity? For example, why is garbage like Infinite Stratos popular and a show like Trinity Seven obscure when both are harems?
Another example is why is K-On popular when something like Kiniro Mosaic not popular? Is it the timing of when a show airs?
>>
From the examples you listed? Yes. it's basically timing.
>>
K-On was way better than Kinmosa.
>>
File: 1384502520548.gif (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1384502520548.gif
1MB, 480x270px
Liking Infinite Stratos is a form of bullying done to that fat guy who writes it. Nobody likes his waifu, Houki, and it made him SO MAD he tries to smear shit on every other character to make Houki more appealing.
>>
>>152107323
If people knew the answer to that question, hits would be commonplace. You've just gotta analyse it on a case by case basis, there won't be a blanket reason for success.
>>
>>152107323
Take a better exemple than Kinmosa, it's not near as good as K-on.

But I know what you mean and it's mostly timing yeah.
>>
Define popular. How could you state that IS is more popular than Trinity Seven.
>>
File: Pure Sex.png (313KB, 892x1300px) Image search: [Google]
Pure Sex.png
313KB, 892x1300px
>>152107323
Timing and people's current interest. At least we are getting Trinity Seven movie next month.

Best girl and tsundere post now.
>>
>>152107323
Mostly timing. Marketing helps a lot, as does having appealing character designs.
>>
IS aired first. Fans stuck to it.
>>
>>152107323
>why is garbage like Infinite Stratos popular and a show like Trinity Seven obscure when both are harems?
Because IS was relatively fresh when it aired. TS came much later, after the concept had been beaten to death so hard that people stopped caring.
>Another example is why is K-On popular when something like Kiniro Mosaic not popular?
Because K-On was good, and Kiniro was absolute garbage.
>>
File: 03c58a0218394de5eae9fe6c05262cf3.jpg (598KB, 900x1038px) Image search: [Google]
03c58a0218394de5eae9fe6c05262cf3.jpg
598KB, 900x1038px
>>152107323
Hype, memes, and the size, voice, and activeness of the fandom. Basic stuff.
>>
Trinity Seven and Kiniro Mosaic are fucking awful.

Why do you care they're not as popular?
>>
>>152107433
Probably basing it on sales. IS is one of the best selling harems ever, as well as one of the best selling series ever iirc.
that's why it spawned a bunch of copycat series like Hundred, Bahamut Chronicles, etc.
>outb4 sales =/= popularity
>>
>>152107370
Is this true? All I know about the author is his chronic, crippling depression due to a lack of friends.
>>
>>152107494
>appealing character designs.
This is probably the best answer.
Then again IS has generic looking girls
>>
>>152107628
That explains why IS is shit.
>>
>>152107323
Trinity Seven has an awesome protagonist, and girls who
-have actual personalities
-are not whimpering moeblobs, and are varying degrees of aggressive
-actually have lives, and do not exist solely to orbit the MC's dick

All of those elements severely trigger otaku, thus the series isn't as popular as it should be. Infinite Stratos doesn't have those triggering elements.
>>
>>152107582
T7 is better than IS
>>
File: 1421706697012.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1421706697012.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>152107323
Marketing.
Brand recognition.
Visual style.
Product quality.

If you can A) get people to watch it and B) get people to enjoy it, then you will have a popular series.

Achieving A) is essentially a combination of Marketing, Brand and Visual Style. You need to advertise your work and get it to the biggest audience, this includes the network/timeslot. This is easier if you are a high profile brand (i.e. company, series or director). And your work has to capture people's attention, visually, for them to want to watch it.

From there, you have to keep your audience by entertaining them (B). This is a very vague goal and hinders are a multitude of factors. NOTE: this does not mean a series is good from a critical standpoint, but only that they can maintain their audience even if the series completely falls apart. This is why trainwreck-type series, which tend to be edgy and amateurish as a narrative, tend to be very popular. Also, ecchi series which tantalize their audience with an erotic experience despite simplistic productions.

Depending on how well you can do A) and B) is going to determine how well your series does. Of course, factors that are generally beyond control include timing with real world conditions, such as trends, and general competition.
>>
File: YotsubaNO.jpg (105KB, 765x390px) Image search: [Google]
YotsubaNO.jpg
105KB, 765x390px
>>152108262
>hinders are
hinges on
>>
>>152108094
Lilith a shit though.
>>
A mix of timing, established fanbases and sheer dumb luck. That said, most anime fail these days.The industry is truly dying.
>>
>>152108262
This is the best answer, thanks.
Though I'm sure some traimwreck shows as you say fail to meet your two requirements and manage to be popular.
What about shows like S;G or CG; other popular shows that aren't edgy or lewd? Timing?
>>
>>152108314
>Implying there's a bad T7 girl
You a shit.
>>
>>152107323
>Another example is why is K-On popular when something like Kiniro Mosaic not popular? Is it the timing of when a show airs?
I like both, but K-On is a much more complete show than KinMoza. It's far more grounded too.
>>
>>152108358
What's funny is that most anime fail because they're set up to fail. Chinks are very stupid, and they're willing to pump money into Japanese anime for a few licensing rights and a bit of control. So, to avoid Chinks actively taking over and producing absolute garbage and killing the industry, the anime industry banded together to take all the chink money, produce pure garbage with it while pocketing most of the money they'd usually spend, and putting out shows designed to fail. It's literally "The producers" in real life.
>>
>>152108314
I'm not going to argue against that. In a series so full of best girls (and best everyone, really) someone like her really sticks out.
>>
File: cops.png (182KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
cops.png
182KB, 500x371px
>>152108382
You don't have to be edgy or lewd to maintain an audience, those were just two examples of how a show could be popular even if it is uninspired and poorly made. These conditions aren't absolutes either, they are more like percentages to rate your chance of success. Some popular shows are products of extreme proficiency in one area, like aggressive marketing tactics, or are sometimes just well-produced and hit all the right notes to some extent.
You can only recognize these categories of success and try your best at doing well in those aspects. You can increase your odds a lot with smart producing. But in the end, it's kind of just up to fate.
>>
File: 1459105725557.jpg (75KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
1459105725557.jpg
75KB, 480x720px
>>152107323
Wasn't Infinite Stratos the original battle harem that set off the long chain of battle harems to come out of anime? If it was the original, of course it'd be the most popular one that sells the most whereas Trinity Seven is just one of many in the sea that followed it.

Trinity Seven is pretty great though.
>>
File: 1324665561131.jpg (772KB, 1456x1008px) Image search: [Google]
1324665561131.jpg
772KB, 1456x1008px
>>152108262
>>152108458
Another thing I want to mention specifically is product promotion. Many successful franchises are successful because their consumer products which is really an entirely different industry when you start asking what makes a successful consumer product like a game or toy but it pretty much follows the same ideas of marketing, trends and quality.

For example, the first Gundam anime failed commercially but was a huge success with its Gunpla models and the series later pulled great ratings when it re-aired and spawn one of the biggest franchises in Japan.
>>
>>152107323
IS has great characters design for its time. It came out just after Strike Witches and at the start of the mecha girl boom and before the proliferation of battle academy.
Unfortunately IS became worse and worse, infighting between the author and illustrators and became a vaporware. The copycat trying to replicate IS all have the same story and even worse character designs.

As for K-On, kyoani did their magic. The source material was utter garbage and the manga actually got canned. I am sure if kyoani actually did adapt Kinmosa, it would have been a huge success.
>>
Why is the vast majority of the stuff we get shit though? That is the bigger question.
>>
File: Yui_swimsuit_vol5_AN.png (179KB, 458x841px) Image search: [Google]
Yui_swimsuit_vol5_AN.png
179KB, 458x841px
In the end I guess it comes down to which shows have the best girls.
>>152108551
I thought merchandise sales barely contibute to the series profit, or am I remembering wrong?
>>
>>152108944
>I thought merchandise sales barely contibute to the series profit, or am I remembering wrong?
Depends on the series. I just gave you an example of products propping up a failed series. Evangelion is another example of a series that benefited greatly from product (placement).
>>
>>152108944
Merch sales are good for the producers. Animation studios make more if you buy the BDs.
>>
>>152108414
Wouldn't that hurt the Industry too?
>>
>>152109179
Nothing can hurt the industry as long as the jews fear the samurai
>>
>>152108314
The Lilith bullying needs to stop.
>>
>>152108414
So:

>Chinks: Hey Anime Studios, we want to invest in some IP's, can we join the consortium.
>Japs: Sure, take these B-Tier-IP's. Those other Top-IP's are already fully funded.
>... Make Chink-Shows cheaply and pocket the money. Put in shitty timeslot.

Can you elaborate?
>>
K-On is a mediocre show that's unreasonably popular.
And the main character Yui is SHIT.
>>
>>152109464
She's the only bad character in a series filled to the brim with amazing characters, both male and female. She also happens to be the STOP HAVING FUN character. It's inevitable.
>>
>>152109944
>She's the only bad character
Annastasia.

Lust archive a shit
>>
>>152110022
True, but Anastasia has a much smaller role. So she can't ruin as much fun as Lilith does.
>>
>>152109944
She's not bad, just overshadowed by the greatness of the other girls.
And Lilith becomes better later on.
>>
>>152107323
Sequels/Reboots of classic anime>Manga adaptations>Originals by well-known individuals/studios>>LN adaptaions>Originals by meh studios

i think thats how it goes
>>
>>152107469
Has is this anime not popular?
>>
>>152107323
For garbage series like IS or TS, it's timing and marketing to retarded Japanese teenagers. For K-On, it's because it actually a great show. Kiniro is also by no means un-popular, and is also a great show.
>>
>>152110808
>For K-On, it's because it actually a great show.
This guy.
>>
>>152108480
The MC is probably the best battle harem MC ever, battle harems hold a special place in my heart and i enjoy shows like Bahumat, Trinity seven, asterisk wars.
>>
File: 1482914920249.jpg (57KB, 569x544px) Image search: [Google]
1482914920249.jpg
57KB, 569x544px
>>152108742
Depends on personal taste, i feel like things like production value are the only objective measure and would show that anime has stayed quite steady since things like plot, characters, and story will be enjoyed/hated by different people.
>>
>>152110918
No, fuck him and whoever wrote him. Super over the top badass MC is much better than spineless faggot, but if you're going to talk the talk, then you have to walk the walk. You can't have the MC pretend to be confident around girls and flirt with them and say he wants to fool around with them, and then have a girl climb on him naked in a place where they're completely alone, only to have him do exactly what every other faggot MC does. He's no different than the rest of them.
>>
File: 1474168405636.jpg (71KB, 368x555px) Image search: [Google]
1474168405636.jpg
71KB, 368x555px
>>152110808
>>For K-On, it's because it actually a great show
Get a load of this loser.
>>
>>152110962
>and then have a girl climb on him naked in a place where they're completely alone, only to have him do exactly what every other faggot MC does
Are you talking about Arata? Because that never happens.
>>
>>152110962
You seem to have a preference for silly extremes, just like Japan does, which invalidates your opinion. And Arata has priorities; first he'll save Hijiri, and then get it on.
>>
>>152111057
>Are you talking about Arata? Because that never happens.
Watch the OVA.

>>152111063
>You seem to have a preference for silly extremes,
Nowhere in my post did I even remotely imply anything like that.

>And Arata has priorities; first he'll save Hijiri, and then get it on.
In what world does this even remotely approach an excuse for his faggot behavior? He doesn't spend every waking second of every day trying to save her. "Oh, he's busy at this one second" isn't a valid excuse for his faggotry.
>>
>>152111222
Wasn't the OVA anime original anyway?
>>
>>152111222
>Super over the top badass MC
>spineless faggot
Extremes.

And leaving relationships for after you've fulfilled your duty is perfectly acceptable. He's a man and he knows what he has to do, unlike your boyish "gimme dat b00si" mindset.
>>
>>152111319
>Between these two common archetypes, I prefer this one
You're an idiot.

>He's a nobel goal oriented man!
I shouldn't have expected more than two working braincells from someone who actually likes haremshit.
>>
>>152111319
>Where did I say that?
>Here.
>Y-yeah, but...your face!
Okay, son.

>I-integrity and manliness are for pussies!
Okay, son.
>>
>>152111477
meant for >>152111387
>>
>>152111477
>I prefer A to B, when both are common
That doesn't mean that only A and B exist.

>A high school harem progtagonist who spends all day flirting with girls and screwing off until a big important fight comes up has integrity because he won't actually sleep with the girls when they come onto him
You don't know what integrity is.

>son
You're an idiot. It's my fault for expecting anything from a haremshit eater, though.
>>
>>152111554
>That doesn't mean that only A and B exist.
But nobody mentioned them before you, so that's where your simplistic brain went first.

I know far better than you, apparently. How about dedicating yourself to a purpose and remaining loyal to it?

Your attentionwhoring is commonplace and boring, son. I bet there's twenty more intelligent trolls than you on /a/ right now. Improve.
>>
>>152111644
>But nobody mentioned them before you
>Talking about haremshit
>Bring up two shows
>One has personality type A MC
>The other has personality type B MC
>"Hurr simple brain!"
Why are ESL haremfags so fucking stupid? Just fuck off.
>>
File: boyos.jpg (109KB, 478x352px) Image search: [Google]
boyos.jpg
109KB, 478x352px
>>152110962
oh boi oh boi been waiting for a faggot like you!

>arata
>a spineless faggot
Not even once! NOT EVEN ONCE was Arata shown as a faggot! He accepts everything that happens to him head on, accepts that he must study more in order to learn magic, accepts that his girlfriend is now an evil mage trying to initiate an exterminatus on his world, accepts that he too can destroy the world if he lets the demon overtake him.

>pretends to be confident
Nope, he isn't pretending. Arata is just a natural 0 fucks given phlegmatic. He is in no way any more powerful that the T7. He knows that and doesn't pay attention to that.

>flirts with girls
Nope, it's the other way around. Casual teasing is not flirting.

>turns into a faggot when alone with a girl
Go back and watch the Yui episode when they're alone on the bed and she wants him to be naughty with her. Please watch it again and tell me what his answer to her PLEADING was.

>no different that the rest of them
No ofc not. Unless you overlook the fact that he's already got a girlfriend at the beginning of the show, isn't overpowered and is potentially the main villain of the universe. No, he's definitely an Ichika clone.
>>
>>152111909
Neither of those MCs are either of those extremes. You're just incapable of having complex thoughts, so you resort to thinking in archetypes. It's amusing and mildly endearing to watch, honestly, but it won't get you anywhere.
>>
>>152112002
>Casual teasing is not flirting.
You're fucking killing me anon. Enjoy your haremshit.

>Please watch it again and tell me what his answer to her PLEADING was.
"No attractive girl who likes me and who I flirt with. I will not engage in any sort of intimate physical contact with you despite us two being alone here."
He's a faggot like the rest of them. Get over it.

>>152112023
>Neither of those MCs are either of those extremes.
Yes they absolutely are, you stupid ESLfag.
>>
>>152112079
No they aren't, you silly little time-waster. Neither of them is a complete doormat, or a complete hyper-masculine overcompensating manchild like the ones you prefer. You're just bad at thinking.
>>
>>152112147
>Ichika isn't a spineless doormat
>Arata isn't an overblown 2cool4school badass
You're killing me. Please stop.
>>
A lot of it just comes down to character designs. Imagine OreImo if Kirino and Kuroneko were less attractive. Would anyone have read it?
>>
>>152112173
No, Ichika has moments where he puts his foot down (albeit few), and Arata is nowhere near Rance or that Hagure Yuusha guy. You are somewhat amusing for thinking so, in a mildly retarded way, but still wrong.
>>
>>152112216
>No, Ichika has moments
Alright, I'm out.
>>
>>152107323
On the same subject, why is GATE popular while Outbreak Company is being mostly forgotten? They have more or less the same base idea, but while OC is a clever comedy, GATE is just imperialistic propaganda masquerading as a fantasy show.
>>
>>152112251
You were out to begin with, son.
>>
>>152112255
Underage idiots like really bad LNs that pretend to have a good plot and interesting characters more than they like genuinely clever comedy. Want proof? Look at the haremfags in this thread.
>>
File: Yui not must diffrence.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Yui not must diffrence.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>152112079
Did you watch it?
>>
>>152112315
The one where the hot girl got naked and jumped on the boy who always flirts with her and the other girls, and then he immediately left after coming up with a totally valid and not bullshit excuse?

Yes, I've watched every harem ever that pretends to have a cool and assertive MC who actively likes girls.
>>
>>152112189
Define bad character designs.
Also Kirino is shit regardless. It comes down to personalites which is why whores like Asuna and Emilia are terrible
>>
>>152112255
GATE is more chuuni and is more power fantasy oriented. It gives off a japan fuck year vibe so all the weebs flock to it.

Outbreak company is a laid back comedy where they try to conquer the other world with culture. Most people would prefer the brute force method compare that is found in GATE.
>>
>>152108742
Sturgeon's Law
>>
>>152112255
Cuter girls in GATE.

The elf was the only good girl in OC.
>>
File: smiling levi.jpg (370KB, 1095x984px) Image search: [Google]
smiling levi.jpg
370KB, 1095x984px
>>152107469
But that isnt Levi.
>>
>>152107323
Why is the T7 manga translation so slow.
>>
>>152114017
Scanlator got bored with it.
>>
>>152107323
Promotion. All of it. Anything can sell if you have the right people selling it. Some people could sell you a punch in the face and you'd thank them for it.
>>
>>152114929
Bit odd to believe, as the spanish trans are quite some chapters ahead.So they could easily ask them for the raws.
>>
>>152107323
Whether or not a lot of people like it.
>>
>>152115090
Not true at all. The shit that got big pushes this season flopped horribly. (Izetta kek) The best way is popular source material. The second best way is to find a demographic and get lucky with it.
>>
>>152115422
>Not true at all.
He's not completely wrong. It's hard to sell something if you don't advertise it.
>The best way is popular source material. The second best way is to find a demographic and get lucky with it.
That is a very depressing view of the medium.
>>
>>152115422
Popular source material is certainly important. I'd say it's one of the best ways of promotion. And the other way around, a lot of anime is just meant as promotion for the source material.

Marketing will always remain one of the most important factors in commercial success. It's true for everything and anime - though somewhat niche - is no exception.

Luck is not a direct factor at all, though an indirect one. What is ascribed to luck is often correct timing and targetting. Those can of course be achieved through luck, but not exclusively.
>>
>>152115579
>That is a very depressing view of the medium.
He's right, though. Anime (and VNs even more so) are aimed at a specific audience. That audience, being Japanese, has extremely specific preferences and is extremely attached to them, to the degree that they sperg out when something out of the ordinary happens.
>>
>>152113303
This
>>
>>152116384
He's not wrong, but it's still a dreary way to look at it. It's kinda sad to imagine a mangaka or writer or something churning out formulaic kitsch instead of something that they actually enjoy.
>>
>>152116858
That's exactly how things are, though. For example, VN makers have been begging their audience to free them from the "virgin heroines ONLY or we boycott your company" restriction for years.
>>
>>152117076
Wow, what disgusting freaks, non-virgins aren't worth the air they breathe.
>>
>>152118182
This is what purityfags actually believe.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.