[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which one of the three was the least disappointing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

Which one of the three was the least disappointing?
>>
>>152003976
KISAMA meme show, because it was the shortest
>>
File: 12y.jpg (1MB, 980x1500px) Image search: [Google]
12y.jpg
1MB, 980x1500px
>>152003976
Habanero
>>
>>152003976
Zombies on a train. It wasn't overhyped in comparision.
>>
Kabaneri, I mean, how the fuck is even possible to hype a series that is literally a SnK knock off with generic zombies instead of titans?
>>
Kabaneri was the opposite of disappointing. Everybody was expecting a shitty Shingeko no Kyoujin ripoff and instead we got an entertaining ripoff. The last few episodes were meh but overall it was far better than anyone was expecting at the outset.

GC was a turd though, and SAO remains one of the worst things ever produced by the entire anime industry.
>>
File: 1422595311791.jpg (136KB, 919x720px) Image search: [Google]
1422595311791.jpg
136KB, 919x720px
>>152003976
I'm going to get right out there and say Guilty Crown is worse than Sword Art Online. I'm not saying SAO isn't as bad as most people make it out to be, I'm saying Guilty Crown is a hidden turd that most people are fortunate enough to have not heard of if they're fairly new anime fans, or suppressed the memory and don't think about it often.
>>
>>152003976
Kabaneri. Went in expecting Attack of Trains. Got Attack on Trains with a fucking rivet gun arm in the same vein of Ash Williams' chainsaw. I was okay with that.
>>
Kabaneri. Expected garbage, got a fun show.

SAO I had no expectations, so when it turned out kinda flaccid I just accepted it.

GC had all the staff behind it to make something great but I couldn't help but smell a failed attempt at creating the next big thing. I was right, and dropped it every week.

Wanna talk about real stinkers? VVV and Aldnoah belong in this thread.
>>
File: IMG_8081.png (3MB, 2208x1242px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8081.png
3MB, 2208x1242px
>>152003976
SAO. I expected it to be absolute crap going into it, and it turned out to be a decent, even impactful (if not always well-written) show.
>>
>>152004732
Man aldnoah zero is probably the biggest pratfall of a show in the last 10 years. I never saw so much hype and hubris leading up to complete mediocrity. They assembled a fucking dream team to make it and even had a "bigger than Jesus" moment on social media. And the end result was just so forgettable.
>>
>>152004910
This
>>
>>152003976
SAO. It had a good premise, but it was average from episode 1 up to 14, and then it became pure garbage. So no disappointment.

Kabaneri, on the other hand, came as rip-off, appeared to have actual potential, ended up just being a cliched rip-off. That's disappointment.
>>
>>152004910
Meh. I enjoyed AZ. Was fun hypetrainwreck.

GC was dissapointing AF, but had moments

SAO is actually good in it's "I wan't it to be a harem anime, but i target it to 10 years old so better cut off the harem from harem, and add some gary stu" first 10 episodes were enjoyable.

Habanero was good. Visuals saved the title.
>>
>>152004354
>SAO remains one of the worst things ever produced by the entire anime industry
Watch more anime, nigger. SAO is shit, but it doesn't even begin to compare to truly bottom-tier stuff.
>>
SAO was dogshit that somehow spread like cancer through le ime gaymer casual faggots into mainstream normalfag popularity
But it never really demanded more attention than other action based LN adaptations

Guilty Crown declared itself as a new generation's GitS yet was the first noitaminA original series to pander to general otaku, had a garbage MC who fell for terrible waifubait

Kabaneri was after this same director had established himself as an asshole hack and looked doomed to be garbage from the start
However it actually started usurping those expectations rather quickly, and basically just feels like a shlocky action adventure that could work in any medium

Tl;dr, SAO was only disappointing for LN readers, Kabaneri was a 6/10, but GC literally destroyed the reputation of a dying TV block
>>
>>152004475
>Guilty Crown
>hidden
>most people are fortunate enough to have not heard of if
>not heard of if
>fairly new anime fans
Really makes you think.
Literal underages infested /a/ recently and it shows.
>>
>>152003976
Kabaneri because unlike Guilty Crown and SAO i dropped right in time.
>>
Unironically SAO. It's just your slightly better than average battle harem (for battle harem standards) and I already knew that going in.
>>
>>152005045
>>152005069
I think the only thing that kept me going through the second cour, was me deperately wanting to see Sugo get his shit kicked in. On that at least, Kawahara delivered.
>>
>>152004910
I think gigantia verdititas or whatever was the biggest let down
>>
File: asterisk war.png (697KB, 584x825px) Image search: [Google]
asterisk war.png
697KB, 584x825px
>>152005102
SAO is probably the shittiest mainstream anime, but if you scrap the bottom of the barrell you will find way worse stuff like pic related.
>>
>>152004910
>the biggest pratfall of a show in the last 10 years.
Dragonaut was nine years ago.
>>
>>152005799
No, that's in the same category as SAO, and it's still pretty mainstream. Scraping the bottom of the barrel would be stuff like >>152005862 , Linebarrels, Arjuna, Denpa Kyoushi, Pupa, Dai Shogun, Cosprayers, Love Love, Smash Hit, Daphne in the Brilliant Blue, Eiken, Skelter Heaven, etc., etc.
>>
>>152004732
I marathoned both after they aired and it was a much better experience, I went in expecting the worst for Aldnoah and it was watchable (compare it to a Hollywood action flick) but expected a crazier ending from Valvrave.
>>
>>152003976
Kabaneri, and I still dropped it because the visuals alone couldn't keep me interested.

Dropped Guily Crown because of Inori, dropped SAO at the "kiss, sex and marriage in one day" episode.
>>
>>152005952
Holy shit I forgot about Dragonaut and Linebarells all these years. Damn those were terrible. Those years had a lot of fucking aweful anime anyway.
>>
Kabaneri. I never really liked SAO to begin with, GC was way better in the first half but the second half was at least trashy as shit which made it terrible but entertaining as well in some way. I enjoyed the first four episodes of Kabaneri but the rest was generic shit. It turned to crap as soon as Biba appeared.
>>
>>152007629
Gonzo between 2005 and 2010 (or whenever they got bought out) were just spewing absolute trash everywhere. Except for the substudio that became Gokumi.
>>
>>152003976
I actually managed to finish Kabaneri, so that one.
>>
>>152007728
Bokurano was good though
>>
>>152007789
Fuck you, that was a butchering of probably my favorite manga ever.
>>
>>152005862
>Dragonaut was nine years ago.
Did that have any hype?
>>
>>152007873
Christ no, we all knew what to expect from Gonzo back in those days and we were just coming off the Geass hype train too
>>
>>152007629
He literally spelled it out for you TWICE and you still fucked it up.
How is this possible? are you retarded?
>>
>>152005799
>Asterisk
It had some good girls though.
>>
>>152003976
I unironically liked Guilty Crown. I'm not going to pretend it was good but I enjoyed watching it.
>>
>>152005952
>No Mars of Destruction
>No Master of Martial Hearts
>not even Dragonaut and that one terrible season of Medabots with the evil soulless Medabots with Gundoh Musashi tier animation
>>
Watching Guilty Crown felt like watching some warped nightmare fever version of Code Geass without mechas but crystal aids instead. I hated every second of it.
>>
>>152003976
Kabaneri was surprisingly good, so there's your answer.
>>
>>152003976
Sword Art Online.

It's juvenile but that's the worst it is. You can go lower. Then again people don't count the dropped on episode 1 crowd like Sky Wizards Academy so basically you have to say School Days and Garzey's Wing in terms of popular trainwreck people might ironic watch.
>>
>>152004910

It's basically a typical Aniplex produced show like all the ones mentioned in the OP. All of them are as a rule hyped to shit, feature trendy staffers, and about half of them have Hiroyuki Sawano doing the soundtrack, and Ichiro Okouchi handling the writing yet they all seem to implode within a few episodes once the show gets past the point of being able to sustain itself on pure hype and promises of grandeur and the staff realizes they actually have to have a semblance of a plot line to act as closure for it all and that unfortunately they don't even remotely have the talent or resources to pull it off.

A/Z was particularly special though as it went well above and beyond the usual arrogance they displayed in the marketing by saying it was going to become the new gold standard for mecha anime basically overnight. Other than that same shit, same producer, different day.

And before people go all "Hurr Aniplex guy" to try to start some shit just remember the OP was the one that deliberately chose to make the topic about Aniplex hype shows so it kind of invites the observation. Keep asking the question and bringing up bad anime by the same producer over and over and you'll likely get this sort of response at some point in the thread.

I mean at this point the company really demonstrates on two actual talents that I'm aware of, getting people all hyped up over a show by playing the same old cards every time and exploiting the shit out of semi-indie groups franchises and their legions of rabid otaku loyalist fanboys.
>>
>>152005163

It's spirit lives on in virtually all Aniplex action originals. Pretty soon people will be able to add that Re:Creators one to the pantheon if it follows the usual trends.
>>
File: C1ey-2zUAAAbjhR.jpg large.jpg (269KB, 2048x1530px) Image search: [Google]
C1ey-2zUAAAbjhR.jpg large.jpg
269KB, 2048x1530px
KISAMA
>>
>>152003976
Also Aldnoah Zero should replace GC.

GC was ridicule bait on day one only carried by ironic watching. A/Z had actual (somewhat) expectations.
>>
>>152003976
SAO didn't dissapoint me and I didn't watch Guilty Crown.
Kabaneri was mildly disappointing.
>>
>>152007873
>>152007965
It did, though. They were pushing it hard and it had good designs and VAs and stuff, it just delivered an absolutely shitty script.
>>
>>152007728

A-1 Pictures is basically modern Gonzo as far as I see it. They shit the bed constantly, have regular production issues, take on far too much work, seem to gravitate towards garbage IPs to adapt along with the often terrible originals they put out, and yet for some reason video game, light novel and manga publishers keep handing them their blue chip properties to mangle.
>>
>>152008137
>not even Dragonaut
I put Dragonaut.

>the rest
Anon, do you not know what "etc." means? I never watched Medabots, though.
>>
SAO was far from good, but it doesn't even compare to the shitfest that were the other two.
>>
>>152008003

Cause that makes a show automatically worthwhile.
>>
>>152008463
Please don't respond to me, Aniplex guy.
>>
>>152008377
A/Z's staff literally thought they were going to 'surpass Gundam" as the new standard for mecha in the 21st century. They even slapped Urobucchi's name on it even though he only outlined like the first 2 episodes. Looking back it seems so obvious how hollow all that hype was, but at the time it seemed like a really passionate project with tons of effort poured into it.
>>
>>152005045
>Kabaneri, on the other hand, came as rip-off, appeared to have actual potential, ended up just being a cliched rip-off. That's disappointment.

It was fun. Second half had biba forced and rushed but even that was somewhat enjoyable with certain characters.

S2 should be more interesting now that moomay's past drama is out of the way and she has no more baggage to clear up
>>
>>152008550

>surpass gundam by doing the exact same plot lines with the space princess always brokering peace at the end thanks to the protag

yea nah. would have been close to it if they actually let not zeon win in s2 and overall.
>>
>>152008377

Guilty Crowns first episode didn't make it outright obvious that it was going to be just unbelievable awful but it's 2nd one really set the pace with the whole pointless massacre of civilians by the one dandy dude and GHQ being this hilariously over the top evil organization run by idiots.

It's like Aniplex/Sony can only try to pander to the absolute lowest common denominator braindead 12 year old fanboys looking for a teenage power fantasy with borderline blank slate waifu character designs like Inori abound nowadays. It wasn't always that way but it's like practically the expectation of anything they slap their brand name on now. I think the last like actually good show you didn't have to be some waifu/husbando fag to get anything out of in the long run that they funded was that surprise followup season to Mushishi back in 2014. Like if I wasn't aware and people told me that that one had the same principle producer as the producer that keeps pumping out Hiroyuki Sawano trainwreck anime vehicles like A/Z, GC, Kabaneri and somehow managed to tank otaku mainstays like the KEY brand as an adaptation force that should be able to market themselves to their target audience in a little under 5 years I'd scarcely believe it.
>>
>>152008802
A/Z had 3 episodes to tell something is wrong with it (already longer than GC's 2). Start of the second season is when everyone, even the more "merciful" and "patient" people started getting mad
>>
>>152003976
SAO, because at least it's self-admittingly bad yet popular and has the clout to keep going even 4-5 years after initial anime release.
>>
>>152008550

I find it funny how there's virtually no hype for their upcoming Re:Creators thing that is clearly the next Spring "blockbuster" thing in the vein of the shows mentioned in the OP. I mean at some point I would imagine people would have to see the pattern, particularly when it always starts the same way and then Sawano and various other random names gradually get added to the project but usually people buy into this stuff hook line and sinker. It'll be funny if they just start suddenly throwing a whole bunch of other names of people popular with otaku that they apparently pulled randomly out of a hat on board with it to try to drum up hype, but at this point it looks like Kabaneri might have actually done some lasting damage. It was on pace to be or potentially be the top hit of it's season and ended up outside of the mix by the end with a dark horse like Re:Zero ultimately getting the nod from the otaku base in Japan instead.
>>
>>152008802
>I think the last like actually good show you didn't have to be some waifu/husbando fag to get anything out of in the long run that they funded was that surprise followup season to Mushishi back in 2014.
So you have to be a waifu/husbando fag to enjoy Working, Occultic;Nine, or 3gatsu?
>>
>>152007789
uninstall this post
>>
>>152003976
Kabaneri is the best show out of the three, but it was never overhyped, you should replace it with re:zero, that show fits a lot better and shares way more similarites with sao and that meme shit in the middle.
>>
>>152009299
Nobody really expected anything from Kabaneri though. It was a joke from the outset because it was such a blatant rip off of SnK. People were calling it Attack on Trains right up until it premiered. The first episode actually blew people away because it was so nicely animated and the story was pretty compelling. In fact Kabaneri was genuinely enjoyable until like episode 8 or so. It squandered the good will it managed to generate pretty hard in those last few episodes, but it was a pleasant surprise before that.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.