[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>/a/ hates this with a passion >decide I should watch it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 334
Thread images: 35

File: 34856573286.jpg (334KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
34856573286.jpg
334KB, 1600x1000px
>/a/ hates this with a passion
>decide I should watch it because gotta see for myself
>starts off decent
>MC is nothing special but not straight up repulsive by anime standards
>starts getting better as the episodes pass
>get to episode 13 or 14 or so
>seems like they are finally going to start clearing floors properly and advance the plot
>nope final boss reveals himself
>final boss defeated with Deus Ex Machina
>everything that had been built up is chucked into the trash instantly
>now he's gonna go be a gay fairy in another game

Why? They could have made something good out of it if they didn't throw out everything they had spent time establishing like that. I imagined it would finally reach the point where the MC isn't stupidly overlevelled and we'd see some real challenges, but no. On top of it all the new world doesn't seem to have that whole "you die here you die IRL" so what's the point.

Is this why /a/ loathes it (apart from it being popular I mean)? Didn't seem much worse than a lot of stuff /a/ usually discusses without problems until this shit happened.
>>
>>151667859
You know, I thought something about sword art online the other day but I forgot what it was.
>>
>>151667859
Even the popular opinion with normalfags is negative now. Only the most normal of normalfags enjoy it.
>>
>>151667859
Watch gay fairly land, then watch as the only half way decent character from that series gets a countdown to rape.
>>
The worst part is how abrupt it ended, that the guildmaster was shady was obvious, but that he'd be the final boss AND go from unveiling him to defeating him in 10 minutes? Terrible.
>>
>Is this why /a/ loathes it (apart from it being popular I mean)?
Yea, pretty much. The series wasn't bad before the point you mentioned. Though I'd say the kid hacking the game was also bad.
>>
>>151669322
If they'd at least tied that hacking in with why he could survive death, it would have been a little less shitty in terms of Deus Ex Machina, but they didn't even do that.
>>
>>151667859
Everything just felt unfinished. Everything just lasted one episode or two then was forgotten. For example his new sword he spent 2 episodes crafting is almost never used and when finally used seriously it breaks.
>>
>>151667920
>>151671034
Oh, I thought of what I was thinking of. You reminded me. That show makes no sense, they have fucking blacksmiths. It's virtual reality!
>>
>>151671305
>they have fucking blacksmiths
Well how else are you going to make new equipment?
>>
>>151667859
>Is this why /a/ loathes it?
Yep, that and the MC is so amazing at everything every girl he encounters is dripping between the knees over him
>>
>>151671648
>MC is so amazing at everything

I expected that would end as they climbed the higher floors since he wouldn't be so overlevelled, but that never happened.
>>
>>151671987
SAO is the worst offender of "missed opportunities"

It would have been fantastic if it was just a little bit grittier and the threat of death much more present. Having Kirito be able to kill everything on his own with no trouble when whole clans were getting their shit pushed in was idiotic writing.

Like when he teams up with that low level clan, uses shit gear to hide that he's OP as fuck, and they get caught in a trap and die. That was nuts. Their guild master jumping off a bridge out of grief felt genuine. Even Kirito going on to solo the Christmas boss to try and save the girl made sense.

But all the potential is squandered
>>
>>151672408
Kirito couldnt kill the Skull Reaper or Gleam Eyes alone. And he was good because he grinded up in the beta.
>>
>>151672542
>he was good because he grinded up in the beta.
Beta stats were reset on launch so the only edge he had was knowledge (most of which was faulty because they changed mechanics)

And kirito wasn't even the highest level player, but he's constantly killing group bosses on his own. He rarely tastes failure and every woman is begging to suck his dick
>>
>>151667859
sao is good, looking forward to the next season
>>
Someone explain to me how, after that VR shit killed 3000+ people, they are still used? Someone then explain to me how the fuck the people running that shit are afforded enough freedom to even begin to hide one person captive in it let alone 300.

>>151672408
I didn't have a problem because I figured this would only be the first half when they are establishing the world, and then we'd be off into higher levels. That didn't happen though.
>>
>>151667859
>op gets it wrong again
the show started sucking when they took out the threat of death around ep7(?) and made it a SoL harem show
From there it took a free-fall from mediocre to garbage before becoming good again, but only because of how ridiculously stupid it was
>>
>>151671987

Pretty sure the only three things he was actually good at were having a hyper reaction time because the writer studied professional fighting game players as a basis for all top tier game players like an idiot, some decent sword skills from his family's kendo side, and an autistic level of love for electronics hardware.

To the point where in the fairy shit he constantly needs his pet/daughter/ai thing to keep telling him how to use magic otherwise he sucks at it completely, the only reason he won after getting his shit stomped by admin privlages was the deus ex machina Kayaba brain clone lurking the internet, and in the gun game he used his sword to block bullet hitboxes like he did magic hitboxes because he never figured out how defensive spells work and sucks ass with a gun. Girls wanting his dick comes from being the protagonist self insert bait per the usual shitty writing.

Could have been so much better but he fucked it up with all the bullshit "muh feelings hurt" and harem crap.

>>151672542
Beta only covered early game cause they never got past floor 10, he just acts like any hardcore MMO autist who no-lifes. Which is what he did to grind.

>>151673014
While the game was running new VR sets were made using lower power hardware and not brain microwaves. The company that made SAO went completely under, the few people working there were saved by police to have bombs implanted in them to keep them working removed, and Asuna's dad bought the assets and servers to keep them running under his own company. Then the faggot in charge of that division sold out to do human experimentation on those 300 people under his boss's nose.

Trade off was the new headsets were kinda shitty in comparison for immersion.
>>
>>151667859
>>151668521
>>151671648
>>151672408
>>MC is nothing special but not straight up repulsive by anime standards

That's exactly the problem. Kirito is completely inoffensive and there's nothing interesting about him. Literally every side character in SAO is more interesting than Kirito, but the series still has to focus on this faggot.

There is a repeating pattern where totally badass female characters turn into useless idiots once they meet Kirito. This is the squandered potential of SAO. If Kirito had been cut out, all of these awesome characters could have had great storylines.

If the creator felt having a male protagonist was so necessary, he should have made Klein the male MC.
>>
>>151673037
>took out the threat of death
Wait, what? It has been a while, but how did they do that? I thought the death mechanic was present through the end.
>>
File: 263673765672.jpg (204KB, 656x788px) Image search: [Google]
263673765672.jpg
204KB, 656x788px
>>151673889
>he should have made Klein the male MC
This is frequently suggested and every time I read it I am saddened by what could have been
>>
>>151667859
Same reasons I have, and horrible pacing in general. Between episodes 1 and 2, they skip the first four MONTHS of the game, all the interesting parts like everyone figuring out how the game works and forming alliances. Log Horizon gets this right.

They spend 7 episodes building up backstory just to toss it out the window 6 episodes later. The only episodes worth watching are like 2-8.

/a/ hates it because it's shallow. There's very little in the way of character development, there's no character motivations, it's just a series of disconnected plot arcs where Kirito builds his harem, and then sometimes not even that. It has none of the qualities that we love about videogames.

Probably the simplest slam of SAO is its own namesake: Less than a quarter of SAO is about the game it's named after.

It's probably only popular because it's visible. It's even on Netflix!
>>
>>151673889
>That's exactly the problem. Kirito is completely inoffensive and there's nothing interesting about him.
Welcome to all >>>/a/nime. Enjoy your stay.
>>
>>151674152
>/a/ hates it because it's shallow
kek, the moeshit with defense circlejerk force sure is full of depth amrite
>>
>>151674237
Not entirely true though anon, most are pretty bad but Kirito was especially so.

Too bad we don't get more MCs like Favaro in Bahamut.
>>
>>151667859
because Sinon gets no screentime
>>
File: CEXMQ71.jpg (105KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
CEXMQ71.jpg
105KB, 1280x720px
>>151674012
We all are anon. Klein is a bro.

He's too good for that faggot Kirito.
>>
>>151674237
There's plenty of anime that have interesting male MCs. Only shows with shit writing like SAO have the inoffensive self-insert type MC.
>>
>>151673963
name one character that dies after yui was introduced without using google
>>
File: Lisbeth.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Lisbeth.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>151674343
>because Sinon gets no screentime

Sinon is a qt, but what we really needed was more Lisbeth screentime.
>>
Kirito goes into a coma because of the evil NSA.

The surviving Law guys try to train up a peasant army in preparation for the Chaos invasion (Chaos are led by the literal God of Darkness who is also an evil NSA agent who eats souls like rape).

They get rekt, but Kirito's harem save them with GM accounts and deebeezeee powerlevels.

NSA connect UW to the internet and get 50,000 American players to connect (it was advertized to them as a beta test for a new AO-rated VRMMO where you're allowed to slaughter anything and everything you like, with blood and guts), they mass murder UW residents and think it's hilarious.

To defeat them the main characters get 2,000 Japanese VRMMO players to connect. Despite the difference in numbers the Japanese are superior and win because Asian gamer damashii.

Then PoH (who is also an evil NSA agent) unleashes a zerg rush of Korean and Chinese gamers who were recruited by being told this is the a Korean VRMMO that's in beta test but evil Japanese hackers broke into the server, turned off pain dampening and are torturing their countrymen.

Even when some Japs who speak Korean try to explain the situation to them they don't listen because hurr japanese

The other NSA guys are surprised this works, they thought it wouldn't be worth it because they didn't think Japan is more different from Korea/China than European countries are from each other (hur)

Koreans and Chinese overwhelm Japs because this is every Jap's worst nightmare.

Kirito wakes up (thanks to the literal POWER OF LOVE from his entire harem) and wipes them all out in one attack though.

(Also PoH's motivation is that he's Korean and he hates Japanese so when he got stuck in SAO he decided to set up Laughing Coffin and have them and the clearers kill each other for shits and giggles because Nips killing each other is hilarious.)

Kirito and Asuna become gods because of x10000000 acceleration.

The AIs explore VR space with rocket dragons.
>>
It's got a good aesthetic and is probably amazing for the boys (and I'm fine with that. Western shows and movies that appeal to young/teenage boys specifically are surprisingly rare these days, and I wouldn't want that kind of drought in anime), but it regularly trashes its own character dynamics and tension building, and certain concepts in the game itself are just too offensive for anyone who's actually played an mmorpg to get over.

Log Horizon is definitely the superior execution of the concept, just because it uses actual concepts from the genre to create tension. High leveled pk'ers camping important progression spots and flat-out imprisoning people doesn't sound fucking terrifying, until you look at it in terms of actually living in the game as an immortal.
>>
>>151667859
Watch the later episodes, you're in for a "treat"
>>
>>151674832
I don't think any named characters die in SAO after Yui shows up
>>
>>151674832
>name one character that dies
>>151675050

Well plenty die. The twenty nameless fucks in the skeleton centipede boss fight, the dozens and dozens while the couple was on honeymoon, Kayaba, Aids-chan, all but two of the sleeping knights, deeper in you could technically count Euegeo and Administrator as well.

They just don't die for really useful to the story reasons.
>>
>>151667859
The real question is who logged into SAO after the first day?
>>
>>151675332
Oh and the people assassinated by desu-gun, they were technically named.
>>
>>151673889
It's even worse in the Playstation games. There, they give you a surprising degree of depth of customization, down to gender and choice of weapon. But then the cutscenes take over and all of a sudden, you're Kirito again.
>>
>>151675332
Hence, "named characters in SAO".
>>
I have masturbated to a lot of suguha doujins
>>
>apart from it being popular I mean
This meme needs to end, this is not /v/. /a/ likes plenty of popular anime but this shit is popular for no fucking reason.
>Good animation
>Good music
>Great fighting scenes
>God tier concept
All that is fucking wasted because the story, the characters and pacing was shit.
The world and vr concept were really fucking cool and interesting but it was wasted, SAO felt like a generic fantasy anime rather than a gaming anime.

Worst shit is the mc, I fucking hate everything about that gary stu faggot especially the fact he solos a fucking MMO, can somehow hack and makes every girl fucking wet within a foot of him.
He pretty much cheats in the second season and then in the third one which made me drop it because a game about guns sounds cool but no he had to use a fucking sword.
I hate how he ruined the main girl character, she started off pretty cool but was reduced to a cool little waifu who hide behind his skirt.
I hate the voice actor because all he does is scream and seems to voice the same character in every Anime.

Like I said above the pacing was just shit.
They rushed the hell out of everything and skipped loads of cool shit for crappy scenes like the mc getting married, adopting a daughter and living in the country.
The villain's reveal was shit too, they pretty much did not bother to go through the rest of the games levels and just asspulled the main bad guy into the story.
They also made him look like a fucking misunderstood good guy in the end.

The only reason to watch this Anime is because it funny because it is bad but even then it has it limits.
>>
>>151674012
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>151675560
>Great fighting scenes

They had way too many fucking panning stills when they were too lazy to animate things.
>>
>>151675652
It was still more entertaining than your average Anime fight scene though.
>>
>>151675504
I'm nitpicking but Heathcliff was a named character introduced earlier and SAO itself only lasted about an episode after Yui (which was bullshit), the problem wasn't that no one was dying it was that the people who died did so for no real fucking reason.
>>
File: huntard.jpg (82KB, 800x633px) Image search: [Google]
huntard.jpg
82KB, 800x633px
>>151675560
>especially the fact he solos a fucking MMO
Ah, those were the good ol' days. Clearly SAO was a blizzard game rather than some insane Korean industrial grinder.
>>
The problem is that the author put literally 0 thought into anything he wrote. By his own admission he just put in whatever he thought would get more dumbass otakus to buy his books.
>>
>>151674832
Oh, ok. That makes sense. I thought you meant they discovered death wasn't real or something.
>>
>>151675560

Honestly, it's pretty clear that the whole death game bit was a desperate bid to keep subscriber numbers up at the end of beta, when they realized their game was incredibly poorly designed.
>>
>>151672837
Ordinal Scale is looking great too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QjzZWTvkNs
>>
>>151674832

Aids-chan.
>>
>>151675517

I don't think anyone who cares to post in SAO threads hasn't.
>>
>>151675837
Technically, he didn't die in SAO. His avatar died, but he didn't die as a direct result of that.
>>
File: 01_cs1w1_595x800.jpg (603KB, 595x800px) Image search: [Google]
01_cs1w1_595x800.jpg
603KB, 595x800px
>The "something special" Miki talked about for new years has kept me waiting all day
>It's just a gay graphic on a newspaper
GOD FUCKING DAMMIT MIKI!
Can someone kill that motherfucker?
>>
File: IMG_8749.png (2MB, 2208x1242px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8749.png
2MB, 2208x1242px
>>151672408
Kawahara is a great world-builder, but an afwul storyteller. His loss, the fanfic writers' gain.

Also, here's a New Year's Kirito.
>>
>>151676521
>By his own admission he just put in whatever he thought would get more dumbass otakus to buy his books.
That makes no sense, considering SAO was a web novel that he earned nothing from, for years, before Accel World got published, and hid editor pushed him to publish SAO to.

SAO was just a web fanfic until AW, so this "it's just pandering for sales" argument makes no sense
>>
>>151679221
Seriously?

Maybe it has some new info on it or something.
>>
>>151667859
The show was actually good until Asuna fell in love with MC
>>
>>151680702
This is actually hilarious, cause their relationship has been retconned so many times, because at first Asuna was just some chick after Kirito's cock, that came out of nowhere. Now apparently they've known each other since floor one, and fought several bosses together, and should have practically been a couple, but split up because reasons.
>>
>>151667859
I don't like it because its unrealistic. MMOs are nothing like this and I can tell whoever wrote this never played one.
>>
>>151671446
Farm mobs for rare drops.
>>
>>151667859
>>151673643

The strange thing is that I actually like Kirito, at lot. I cannot stand beta male MCs, and there are too many MCs who are pathetic and constantly self-doubting. (Guilty Crown, Valvrave, Accel World...You know the type, the gigantic loser.)

Kirito's bland as hell, but he isn't a faggot. And 'not being a faggot' and 'not being useless' are extremely high points in favor of him. My main issue with SAO is that it has no tension whatsoever - particularly no romantic tension, since we all know heroes have plot armor anyway - and that every subsequent girl is more interesting than Asuna.

It's fair to say that the author sort of wrote himself into a corner. The abrupt end to Aincraid is because he was submitting this as a WN, and now all subsequent stories - for what was initially meant to be a one-and-done deal - must fit into the framework, so there's only so much he can do.

Like, Kirito already has a designated love interest he knows for two years and goes through all kinds of trauma for. He can't possibly change his mind now, which is a real shame.

I'm surprised that we don't have more stories about a new protagonist set 'in the world of' SAO. For instance, GGO is actually told from from Sinon's perspective than Kirito's, and Sinon has a larger investment in things. It wouldn't be hard to introduce a new, unattached protagonist who can actually hook up with the girls.
>>
>>151672674
>Kirito finally meets a character better than him
>she tries to steal his waifu
>oh she actually has super aids and dies
>>
No it's terrible earlier on with Kirito being so op instantly that every encounter after Sachi's death to the Minotaur is just uninteresting.
They throw away two years of wandering and focus on Kirito showing off just how strong he is.
The only positives other than the first boss and Sachi are laughing coffin.
>>
>>151667859
My favorite part of SAO is when that girl dies of aids.
>>
>>151682351
I wouldn't go as far as saying that I like the character, but seeing an anime male character who isn't a complete wuss/beta/coward/loser is always a nice change of pace.

>>151667859
Also, how the fuck did you not start hating this shit once the AI showed up? Those episodes were so fucking bad. And that doesn't even include the super hacker thing either.
>>
>>151682351
I think there was tension, and not an insignificant amount, especially if you're not aware how long the series is. I at one point thought it was going to end with Kirito becoming a martyr.
>>
>>151682351
>so there's only so much he can do.

Well, Progressive came around. Then he had the option of introducing Asuna after a literal decade, or he could retcon it so they meet at the start.
>>
>>151682474

Yeah, it's sort of the point. The author has to 'write around' Kirito, because Kirito cannot develop any further as a character. Literally all his trials are behind him.

This is why the main story of the Alicization arc has Kirito sit the entire fight out. He's just too powerful otherwise. When Kirito DOES wake up, he ends up annihilating the enemy army in a single Incarnation-powered attack.
>>
>>151682303
>Rare drops
So only a handful of people will have sub-optimal gear, while everyone else has shit store-bought gear?
Meanwhile, player blacksmiths are known to to make the best gear anyways?
>>
>>151682800

They were only in the game two years, weren't they? I'm pretty sure he meets Asuna at Level 1 like in the books.
>>
How did they piss and shit while playing the game
>>
>>151683317
I meant a decade in our world, because that's how slowly Progressive gets written.

He originally doesn't meet Asuna until she's already in KoB. Meeting her on the first floor is a retcon.
>>
>>151674927
who wrote this shit
also who has Ki fucked?
>>
>>151683317
Originally, he only started talking to her (or rather, she started hopping on his dick) a few months before the game ended, and he was surprised she knew his name.

Progressive retconned this.
>>
>>151683044
Wait what the fuck. Why is he so powerful? Is there some kind of global level or something?
>>
>>151674927
>Also PoH's motivation is that he's Korean
This was changed. He's now a self-hating Half-Japanese.
>>
>>151676341
Korean grinder MMOs are always solo soul-sucking experiences though.
>>
>>151683680

See, this is the thing that breaks SAO over it's knee. Incarnation is basically that thing from Accel World, where you use willpower to fuel attacks. Kirito, because of his love for his nakama and the power of his enishi, can perform complete bullshit with Incarnation. (This, by the way, is more powerful than anything the other girls can do - and they're using literal gods and goddesses as their player characters.)

When Kirito wakes up, he freezes the entire enemy army, and turns them into icy flowers before they shatter. (If I recall the Web Novel correctly - Correct me if I'm wrong.)
>>
>>151683892
Oh, so it's just shonen bullshit. I though he was soloing everything because he was level 99999 or something.
>>
>>151684042
That to. Before he went into a comma, he and his party killed the strongest person in that world, and received a massive level up. But incarnation is also overpowered as fuck.

Bercouli could kill a guy by telling the server that he died 10 minutes ago, so no amount of health could save them.
>>
>>151683523
>>151683609

Shit, that completely slipped my mind.

Also, they missed out a huge opportunity in Alicization for Kirito's memory to be wiped and for him to start all over again. (Alicization is basically an isekai story, and the first time Kirito enters the realm is reminiscient of a reincarnation story.)

Like, for some reason, I find Ronye and Tiese incredibly hot, all the more because they're obvious rape-bait. Kirito's sempai, that girl who only shows up in one scene, clearly wants to hold him down and fuck him. There's just so much sexual tension there that goes wasted. (Also, he's obviously gay for Eugeo.)
>>
>>151683785
Half Korean? I think he was always a half.
>>
>>151684499
No, in the web version, he was half Korean, half American.
Light novel changed it to Half-Japanese/Half-American.
>>
>>151667859
I watched and read it, and dropped at the end of the first arc. Some battle scenes were nice enough but I can't really care apart from that.
>>
>>151683146
>only a handful of people
You clearly haven't farmed enough. Are you going to let the chinese goldbots have all the fun? Back to work.
>>
>>151682303
Player made equipment is second only to raid drops.
>>
Two
>>
File: 1.jpg (345KB, 1278x1438px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
345KB, 1278x1438px
>>151683680
Incarnation disregards power-levels through "willpower"

Its why the Integrity Knights all have bankais which can level entire fucking armies and why the Kings of Pure Color could solo an entire Legion at once if they felt like it
>>
years
>>
>>151685099
worth
>>
>>151685211
of
>>
glopping
>>
>>151685282
semen
>>
>>151676341
So you're saying in WoW it was possible to solo a raid when you're not overleveled and overgeared?
Because in SAO the content was locked behind raids.
>>
>>151684676
What do Japs have against haafus?
>>
>Novel is called Sword Art Online
>80% of it takes place in several entirely different games
>Not a single one of them is even half as interesting as the original setting

Should have stayed in SAO and made the whole thing about clearing the floors and eventually building up to the last boss. Instead its just a rush to the conclusion with completely unsatisfying character development. All the stuff that happened in the years after the game started were interesting too, but you don't get more than a few bite sized morsels.

Hack author.
>>
made
>>
>>151686051
>Unironically thinks a franchise should change names according to the story arc

SAO haters sure are fucking retarded, good thing they are minority
>>
SAO would have been better if Kirito wasn't the protagonist and the story wasn't obviously rushed to its conclusion, as well as some other things.
I watched it until the end of the Aincrad arc +1 episode, and I think the moment I gave up on trying to like it was when blacksmith girl just shouts "I LOVE YOU" to Kirito after sharing ~15 minutes of screen time with him. After that I was just watching it for closure and tried watching 1 episode of the next arc to see if it would get better, which it didn't. That being said, the very end of episode 14 where Kirito is walking out of the hospital is pretty good, but I think that's the only scene I liked in the 15 episodes I watched.
Also one of the worst parts of SAO for me was Kirito just getting his convenient power ups off screen, like his health regen that he used in that one episode, or his DUAL WIELD ability, or Kirito just gaining 30+ levels between episodes. I feel like it denied Kirito of possible character development. I'm not saying they should have shown Kirito grinding on low level mobs for an entire episode, but I would have liked to have seen him earn something instead of just having it when it's convenient because he's the protagonist. Maybe he gets some better development in later arcs or whatever, but I don't want to consume any more SAO media after my experience with the first 15 episodes.
>>
>>151687134
Sadly, the SAO arc is the best part of the series. It doesn't get any better.
>>
>>151687403
ooof, that's sad
>>
>>151687403
Well that sucks to hear.
Does Klein get any decent amount of screen time ever? He's one of the two characters I liked from the show.
>>
>>151687584
I agree he was one of the more likeable characters. But I don't recall him getting much screen time in the anime
>>
>>151687584
>Does Klein get any decent amount of screen time ever?
Is it Kirito?
Is it Asuna?
Is it any of the miscellaneous harem?

Then no, no significant screen time.
>>
I thought it started off really well but then it turned into waifushit and KIRITOEPICUSWORDUUUUUU bullshit. Truthfully, I never finished it, only got to like episode 10, but I just couldn't take it anymore. I saw what path it was going down and had to stop.
>>
>>151667859
Good. Now go cleanse yourself and watch SAO Abridged!
>>
>>151690005
Well couldn't be any worse than the actual series.
>>
Wonder if there'll be any goodies at the screenings like there were for the Love Live movie.

>>151691689
Watch it for casually racist yandere Asuna.
>>
SAO is more of a romance story disguised as an adventure. I found that getting invested into Kirito and Asuna's relationship was more fufilling than caring about the world.
>>
>>151667859
The creator didn't play mmo's at a high level or understand their mechanics very well. SAO as a game is horrible.

Also the writing is so bad, plus he literally has a harem that just sits in cafes waiting for him to do something
>>
File: e46.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
e46.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>151692038
Everyone sees whatever they want in SAO. That's probably why it's been so successful, despite all its flaws.
>>
>Still no scans of Progressive V4
>>
>>151693122
I have no fucking idea what's taking so long, considering how popular the IP is.
>>
>>151691689
It's not awful, first bit is rough, but when they start going with Asuna being a biggot, it gets pretty decent. It's better than the real show will ever be.
>>
SAO's spin-offs are actually quite good. Fuck, if Fate can get 5 anime in the same year why can't we have Progressive's and AGGO's anime adaptations?
>>
>>151695006
Because the only studio doing SAO is A-1.
>>
>>151680089
Okay fine, it wasn't for sales, but it was still pandering.
>>
>>151679635
>Kawahara is a great world-builder
Haha, no.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GXCo-InnpU
>>
>>151697918
>39 minutes long
How can you possibly spend this much time talking about how it's a terrible game? Well, let's skim through it.
>>
>>151698221
Because if you actually paid attention to the game parts and not just the story it's a fuckawful game.
>>
>>151691689
It's legitimately a better written show than actual SAO.
>>
Not gonna lie, the first arc, that actually takes place in SAO is a weird mix of pretty comfy and depressing.
>>
>>151698221
Well. This isn't a promising start.

>mentions SAO and AW protagonists are good at the game solely because they have fast reflexes and they aren't predicting opponent actions or taking into account the surroundings or mechanics of the game
I guess this could get a pass since the anime adaptation for SAO cut out all the internal monologue. Like the duel with Kuradeel has Kirito specifically predicting the exact sword skill Kuradeel would use and what skill he needs to counter it, in the novel at least. The anime just has them stare at each other and then it happens.
Accel World's first big fight, the one against Ash Roller, has Silver Crow "conducting a strategy to exploit the opposing enemy", because he can't fucking do anything else in that fight.

I also find it funny they mention that headshot accuracy isn't the key to winning while posting a video of Overwatch, where the snipers were nerfed six feet under because of how potent they were, and basically no amount of positioning has left them viable.
>>
I thought it was shit from the very first episode.
>>
>>151682351
Shino is probably the only reason I enjoyed GGO and am tempted to continue with the franchise personally.

It's a shame she joined the harem in the end.
>>
>>151699150
Then again, it's not like every battle was plan filled and such.

Gleameyes was totally just a DPS race, Cyan Pile was also just a gotta go fast, dodge fast, hit fast.

The UI is cumbersome. This is valid and noted even in the novels.
But then he complains about the health bars, which I'm not sure how he expects it to work in VR, especially the part where he says "turn your eyes, not your head", as though turning your head would make far more sense.

Can't recall the part about hair obscuring the UI. It's possible.

Not sure where the part of "gotta unequip everything to equip new gear" comes from.

The gesture based menus are a necessity, he vastly overestimates the Nerve Gear's ability to read the player's mind.
>>
So about when does the abridged series get good?
>>
>>151700127
>The gesture based menus are a necessity, he vastly overestimates the Nerve Gear's ability to read the player's mind.
Bitch even if it mind reading based system wasn't viable you still have voice based.
Which is funny because that would have been vastly more elegant from a narrative standpoint.
>>
>>151674911
>more Lisbeth screentime
Best grill
>>
>>151700406
When Asuna joins. If you don't like it after that you probably just don't like it.
>>
>>151700127
>waiting for healing, etc.
Yeah, I can see how all that waiting would be boring. Paralysis lasts 10 minutes in SAO, and that's not an exaggeration, the novel gives an exact period, paralysis lasts 600 seconds.

Technically, there are tanks and such that do aggro management in SAO, the game does in fact have aggro management specific skills.

>battle healing is OP because low level scrubs can't kill a high level character
Eh. You know what? This is basically the only time I've noticed where he doesn't mention any exact numbers when he went so in depth at before with all those sales numbers. Did the anime skip them? Because those numbers aren't very good. 14500 max hp, heals 600 hp every 10 seconds. About 4% every 10 seconds. Yes, those low level players can't even do more than 4% of his max HP in 10 seconds.
In an example from one of the closest SAO PVP fights Kirito's been in with some numbers described, Kirito loses 20% HP in one hit.
This duel also showcases some of SAO's silly systems, if you set a duel to first to 50% HP, your health won't automatically stop at 50% if you take excess damage, it just keeps dropping until the full damage from the last attack is absorbed. The purpose of that duel was to have Kirito killed, meaning it's possible that he could take >50% max HP damage against a similarly leveled player.
>>
>>151697918
I've seen that show up in my Recommended shit, but after watching it, I think he made some valid points.

CS:GO with stats seems stupid, really.
>>
>>151697918
Bosses don't respawn in SAO. Terrible design, which is somehow missed in the video, instead mentioning how it would be a pain to grind bosses since they aren't instanced.

Last Attack bonus being shit is valid.

EXP division is exactly how he describes it. There's no bonus party EXP. Death penalties apparently don't cross his mind when it comes to MMOs that aren't literal death traps.

Mentions how there's no reason to poison food if it were a real game, which I would say there's way more reason to poison people. I mean, Kuradeel shows it pretty well, being a dick and backstabbing people, he's actually from an enemy guild in disguise, etc.
Mentions there's no reason to take other people's cooking, mentions earlier on how horrible skill grinding is, apparently forgot cooking is also a video game skill.

Anticrystal zones are bullshit, yeah, that's valid.

Apparently he's trying to justify the "hey look, unopened chest at the end of a wide open room without a single enemy this surely is not a trap" moment that the dead guild went through?
With the reason, "because it's poor game design". I'm surprised he didn't call out how utterly retarded Kirito's guild was instead, but that wouldn't illustrate SAO being a terrible game, just having a terrible playerbase.
I remember this one, the anime skips out any mention of trap detection skills existing and failing a check, which makes Kirito's party seem extra retarded, but that isn't really relevant to the point being made.
>>
>>151702127
Don't forget about how dumb it is that someone had to break into a house, stand over someone with a syringe full of poison waiting for them to be shot in the game.
>>
>>151701542
Started watching it and I enjoyed it from the beginning. But asunas voice is well bad.
>>
>>151702439
His point was that if it happened to you in the game, you'd never open a chest you see again.
It's like in darksouls or something, the first time the mimic will get you, but every time after that you're gonna take a swing or look for the chain.
>>
>>151702537
I thought both their voices were bad, but they kinda grew on me. It's more their interaction that's funny.
>>
>>151702477
"Your death will come in five minutes (Freeza time)!"

>>151702439
>Mentions there's no reason to take other people's cooking, mentions earlier on how horrible skill grinding is, apparently forgot cooking is also a video game skill.
The "use skill to level it up" reminds me a lot of Tales of Phantasia, and I personally think it's shit too.

>>151702601
There are no second chances though.
>>
>>151702657
Kiritos is more bearable, and he sounds familiar. But neither of them would be winning any awards.
>>
>>151702439
>Mentions there's no reason to take other people's cooking, mentions earlier on how horrible skill grinding is, apparently forgot cooking is also a video game skill.
He was specifically referring to grinding for combat skills, which is annoying as hell. Grinding things like cooking isn't that horrible, as evidenced by basically every mmo where you can cook.
>>
>>151702769
He's talking about the game as a real game, not a death game, if you try to open a chest with no distinguishable markings and it made an anti crystal room and summoned monsters that would wipe you, you'd never open a chest again.
>>
>>151700936
>you still have voice based.

Inferior to gesture or touch based for many scenarios. It'd be good for simple commands, but for anything complicated, you'd want the floating touch screens. Voiced based menus would also have the downside that either you'd have to announce everything you were doing in your menus out loud to anyone who might be listening, or be stuck mute while you're menu is open.
>>
>>151702872
Fair enough. But I think he's being too generous by taking out the "death game" aspect of SAO. If he puts the death game thing into his arguments, it would be a heavy weight against the game concept, but it might stray from the gaming insight he wanted at the start.

Also, kudos for the guy for not opening the topic about the Nervegear tech and how brains get fried upon death.
>>
>>151703061
The point was the game was programmed as a AAA video game, not a death game. This was supposed to be a game that people played, but its pretty garbage as far as games go, especially MMOs. Gungale wasn't a deathgame, and by any shooter standard especially one meant to be played competitively, is complete garbage.
>>
>>151699370

You know, I can see why Sinon likes Kirito, though. Like, when he burst in and saved her from her beta orbiter? She must have been so wet right there. Same for when he later shows up on a motorcycle and they ride off into the sunset.

It's an immense shame that he's attached, because otherwise they would have had amazing, bed-shaking sex right in front of the creepy guy who wanted to fuck and kill Sinon. I would have loved to see her go "Oh by the way, the guy who pushed your shit in? He's my boyfriend now. And he's fucking my brains out...In fact, we're about to go for another round. Ha ha, wouldn't it be funny if the last thing you ever heard was the sound of me sucking his cock?"
>>
>>151703290
I wonder, if SAO is supposed to be a AAA title, then is GGO and ALO AAA titles as well?
>>
>>151674012
What's ironic is that he's the author's favorite character.
>>
>>151703386
douijins when?
>>
>>151702987

And this is exactly what happens in alicization. Everything is "System call blablabla". Really fucking terrible after a few dozen times.
>>
>>151704008

This one is close.

> http://g.e-hentai.org/g/979479/92ff853758/
>>
>>151702537
>>151702657
>>151702837

I'll bet you fucks watched the dub only.
>>
>>151667859
Aside from typical gary stu best at everything most special guy in the world with no downsides, yes.

Everything from dual wield on is retarded as shit and ruined it. Being able to solo raid bosses by just standing there and tanking them is absolutely retarded.
>>
>>151704126
I don't think they're similar at all, but at least I got a good chuckle out of that one.
>>
>>151702439
Yep, ALO is a shit game. Nothing to say here.

>GGO
>says DEX and AGI are the same, but AGI lets you move faster too
Closest analogy I can think of is AGI raises your minimum damage, and DEX is raising maximum damage. Both raise damage, but it isn't the same.
There aren't concrete numbers given on how the stats actually change the bullet circle, but AGI is more frequently described being used with spray and pray tactics in the novel.

>says STR is shit, the guy's speech at the beginning of the arc is how STR is the most important stat since it lets you equip guns to oneshot people
Zexeed says it straight up: you can hit all your shots, but I'll survive with armor equipped. I'll hit less shots, but you'll be dead.

>mentions how snipers must be good
>need high STR like Sinon does to equip one that lets you oneshot people with them
>need DEX so you can actually hit them with that first free shot

GGO is a shit shooter, he's right about it being a competitive shooter being retarded.
I'd probably play it for the PvE though.
>>
>>151701621

It makes sense though, a clean hit to head should be instakill.
>>
>>151704360

At the same time, Strength is clearly the melee stat. Kirito himself is a Strength build, and obviously you need that to hit people really fucking hard with swords.
>>
>>151702872
>>151703290
In that case, the anime skipping out the trap detection skill is relevant.

There are skills to detect traps. One of the floor gimmicks there were higher level than normal traps.
>>
>>151667859
It all went to shit when Asuna was introduced.
>>
>>151698221

>stargates can hold open for only 38 minutes by default
>they have 39 symbols

What does it mean?
>>
>>151704438
Why bring a sword when you could bring a lightsaber instead.

The lightsaber is lightweight, IIRC.
In GGO, your stats don't seem to directly affect your damage output, whether that's due to the nature of the weapons or the system itself is unclear.
Barely anyone uses weapons where a higher STR stat would logically mean higher damage, basically only DESUGAN did with his starship sword, and Solid Snake off camera..
>>
I kinda liked the first arc OP, the idea seemed neat and had potential. Things begun irking me with the whole pvp arc, where people would open up your game menu (?) while you sleep (?) and force you to accept a pvp match just for the sake of murdering you (?!). How idiotic can game design be that you can even see the fucking menu of another player? But that's not even the big problem, by the time arc 1 finished I was already caring so little that the deus ex machina final boss wasn't even that big of a problem, I was only looking for explosions and boobs.
Arc 2 was incredibly bad, the whole setup with the added imouto in love and the insane villain (that was impossible to take seriously) felt ludicrous. Kirito and Asuna meeting IRL was cute but that doesn't save it. Leafa tho, chara design wise, is deliciously thicc and I'd her leafas.
Arc 3 in the anime was not only badly directed but had yet another retarded idea. The anime felt like a long dragonball filler arc (the episode of shinon and kirito in the cave where she immediatly becomes his bitch being probably the worse)
Then I don't exactly remember what came after, was it the tale about the girl dying? That was like the epitome of bad storytelling because instead of killing off a character the viewer has grown up to know and love, they only show her for a while, then imply that asuna and the guild had months and months of incredibly fun adventures we never fucking get to see, pretending that we care. If you want cheap drama, there it is. Yuuki or whatever her name was had the same level of depth and chara development of random npcs and yet she got all that screentime for seemingly no reason. And of course, hordes of retards got caught by the hook and got sad because the music was drammatic and Asuna screamed or some shit. And holy shit don't let me even start with the whole "all the races of the world came to see the virtual death of the top player", reminds me of that funeral march they did in wow.
>>
>>151704146
>I'm so cool because I watched the abridged series subbed
Fuck off.
>>
>>151705003
>where people would open up your game menu (?) while you sleep (?) and force you to accept a pvp match just for the sake of murdering you

If SAO wasn't a death game, falling unconscious would boot you out of the game like it does in ALO.
>>
>>151703962
Well now we know that the author doesn't have completely shit taste
>>
File: true end.jpg (85KB, 713x578px) Image search: [Google]
true end.jpg
85KB, 713x578px
>>
>>151705787
His favorite AW is Chiyuri.

His taste is pretty shit.
>>
>>151705948

Yes, nips copypaste character designs. So fucking what?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QjzZWTvkNs
Apparently the OST will have 50 tracks and 5 insert songs(!) not counting the OP/ED, so this should be a long ass movie.
>>
>>151695006
>Progressive
Will probably happen in 2019/2020. After season 3. Though it could work better as a movie trilogy or something along those lines.
>>
>>151706599
Whoa, someone got triggered.
>>
>>151667859
>Copypasta
Digibro I hope you find out you have prostate cancer this year and die slowly.
>>
>>151702439
Floor bosses don't respawn, due to how the game unlocks itself by having them killed.

There are in fact other types of bosses, in other dungeons, that can respawn.
>>
>>151706850
>5 insert songs
What the fuck, is it some kinda musical?
>>
>>151706001
>His favorite AW is Chiyuri.
Hasn't he said his favorite character is Kuroyukihime?

>>151706850
Miki REALLY wants the SAO movie to be a big hit. He's always talking about how SAO as a live-action movie by Hollywood would be the final step, so I'm guessing this current movie is sorta like a stepping stone for that.

Meanwhile, the AW movie was half-recap, half-random-story that takes place after the current LN, so it was a big FU to Anime-only watchers.
>>
>>151667859
There's a reason we always say that only half of season one is decent when it comes to SAO
>>
>>151682474
Yuuki should have replaced Kirito as the MC.
>>
>>151679221
I guess we're back to >S3 when?

Was hoping it would be a Season 3 confirmation so we could once again trigger /a/, but no such luck. Guess we'll have to wait for the nips to watch the movie, and tell us if there's an announcement at the end, like in Extra Edition.
>>
>>151708507
>Floor bosses don't respawn
That is still terrible design. If new players don't have the floor raid bosses to aim for, then what is the point?
>>
>>151704429
Why even have different classes if everyone can score one hit kills? The only correct class would be the one that can stun its enemy long enough for a clean headshot, then the game turns into a gigantic fuckfest of 1-shot head tag.
>>
>>151667859
None of that are the reasons i hate SAO.

The reason i hate SAO is that it unnecessary made it a "DEATH" game and tried to explore and write around the topic of trapped people in it dealing with imminent death, loss of others etc.

However being written litterally by retarded 14yo (it was in original), its a topic he obivously knows shit about nor can write in decent quality about so it turned just an edgy mess.

Would it be just a "trapped in mmo" story with OP mc it`ll be one thing. But its a story about thousands of people dieing.
>>
Who cares about SAO in 2017 when Legendary Moonlight Sculptor exists and is translated?
>>
File: 1461135842452.jpg (91KB, 861x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1461135842452.jpg
91KB, 861x1300px
>>151693122
We were promised a dump of it somewhere in the march, if i remember correctly.
>>
>>151667859
still better than berserk :D
>>
File: 1469711094415.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1469711094415.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>151704126
>Using a Pistol Barrel as an anal plug
>>
>>151667859
I finished the first episode yesterday, and it's like a mix of World of Warcraft, and Spy Kids 3: Game Over, with the "You die in the game, You die in real life" formula as Nightmare on Elm Street.
>>
>>151706850
If only the AW movie was allowed to be so good.
>>
>>151667859
I wanted an MMO story, but I got a love story instead.
It wasn't as bad as /a/ makes it out to be, but it could have been so much more.

Moonlight Sculptor anime when? T_T
>>
>>151711800
>gookshit getting anime
Even lower chance than Accel World getting an S2
>>
>>151711892
Lower than Horizon S3?
>>
>>151711917
Maybe not that low.
>>
>>151667859

If you thought the first half of S1 was bad, you haven't seen the second half yet. It gets worse.
>>
File: metal gear rising.jpg (36KB, 335x626px) Image search: [Google]
metal gear rising.jpg
36KB, 335x626px
The progressive novels are the only good way to experience the story desu
>>
>>151702872
>What is dark souls?
I was eaten by a memic one time and developed a habit of hitting every single chest before opening it.
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 500x281px
>>151704885
>>
File: 1453924442869.jpg (51KB, 221x246px) Image search: [Google]
1453924442869.jpg
51KB, 221x246px
>It has been over 4 years
>People still hating on SAO because many different reasons
>>
People hated it back then because it was the the most popular show of the year by far and normalfags were raving about it everywhere.

It was pretty mediocre overall I didn't really mind watching it until the Elfheim part. That was terrible.
>>
The videogame series has a better plot than the main series.
They even spared us from GGO and went straight back to Aincrad 2.0.
>>
>>151667859
>They could have made something good out of it

No they couldn't have. Stop watching shitty series.
>>
>>151690005

Yes. It's better than the original.

"Ah, giving the black man the murder weapon. Tale as old as time."
>>
>>151667859
I still don't get the hate for this one. Had Chinese cartoons been a bunch of masterpieces, I'd understand since this mediocre one would get all the hate, but considering this is as average as it gets, why concentrating so much on this one?
>>
>>151715087
Because there are people who actually like it, and /a/ can't have that.

If it were actually a shit anime, then it would just be forgotten like most anime, by because it was average, and had just the right themes to attract a lot of hype and a big fandom, people feel the need to hammer down their opinions on it.

That's why we now have multiple people on YouTube trying to educate people on why its shit, using non-sense arguments. If it wasn't SAO, it would be some other show that's popular to hate on.
>>
File: PA3-001.jpg (1MB, 1200x1721px) Image search: [Google]
PA3-001.jpg
1MB, 1200x1721px
So does anyone actually care about the Alicization manga?
>>
>>151716518

Not really, no.
>>
File: Alice.png (1MB, 821x1371px) Image search: [Google]
Alice.png
1MB, 821x1371px
>>151716728
B-but Alice a cute.
>>
>>151716895

That doesn't matter with the Kawahara-tier writing.
>>
File: Yuji.png (299KB, 450x660px) Image search: [Google]
Yuji.png
299KB, 450x660px
Reminder that Alice cucked Asuna and named her child Kirigaya Yuji.
>>
>>151667859
SOA is "waste of a premise, the anime"

The first few episodes are actually a great start to what could have been a good series.
>>
>>151717077

Literally only ones and zeroes inside a really fancy computer. Doesn't count.
>>
>>151717293
Asuna will never have a child made of ones and half a coat made of zeroes.

Why even live?
>>
>>151717293
>ones and zeros
>literal clones of the human "soul"

>doesn't count
Well, when the entire series is about how "virtual and real are indistinguishable", then I'd say it counts quite a lot.
>>
File: 1342485537028.png (78KB, 961x789px) Image search: [Google]
1342485537028.png
78KB, 961x789px
>>
>>151717438

Fuck that, they don't have a biological body so they're not real.
>>
>>151710450
Especially since Ark is finished and LMS has a few more volumes left.
>>
>>151717572
What's so special about them being biological?
By all rights, a "brain" is just a really fancy computer, made of meat.

Alice can have an android body that can imitate a human in every way that matters. From her perspective, she's as real as you are you yourself.
>>
>>151717552
noice
>>
>>151717651

Look. Their so called existence can be wiped by a random electrical surge or EMP, leaving behind just a blank/broken cube. A biological body somebody can find or has to dispose of, leaving behind all sorts of evidence.
>>
>>151674927
>evil NSA
You mean the NSA?
>>
>>151717896
And your so-called existence can be wiped by a meteor strike or a really complex protein structure, leaving behind broken meat.
That said, even a broken hard-drive or stick of ram has traces of the original information, leaving behind its own form of evidence, and the same goes for the light cubes.
>>
>/a/ claims to hate SAO
>if the OP is shitting on it, they can reply to discuss the show while ostensibly disliking it as well
>over 200 replies
Kek
>>
File: 1364775225707.jpg (73KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
1364775225707.jpg
73KB, 400x399px
>>
>>151718066
Never heard of love-hate?
>>
>>151667859
I feel if SAO had a QUALITY dub it would be considered a masterpiece
>>
>>151667859
I don't represent /a/, but yes. I liked SAO at the start (nothing special but okay) and actually enjoyed the introduction of Heathcliff. Kirito was pretty overpowered, and I hoped Heathcliff was the proof that there were other, strong players out there who were at least a match for Kirito. Strong, organized players who work together to clear levels and would force Kirito to step up his game.

But of course, the only person who could possibly be stronger than Kirito is literally the creator of the game who also uses stupid cheats. Because nobody but a cheater can be better than Kirito.

And Alfheim, fucking Alfheim. Kirito actually compares Kayaba, a mass murderer responsible for 4000 deaths for reasons he himself doesn't even fucking remember, in a favorable manner to a guy who wants to rape a single girl but hasn't actually done it yet. Jesus-kun speaks positively about a FUCKING MASS MURDERER. Leafa's character design is the only good thing to come out of SAO, and it's not even original. Other than the elf ears she's very comparable to Saber, Samus or Centorea.

I don't hate SAO just because it's bad, an anime that's merely bad is one I do not watch. I hate it because it had so much potential and so much promise. Had the entire show been just Aincrad and nothing else, and with some rewrites here and there, it could've been a really good show that justifies its popularity.
>>
SAO is a decent adaptation of bad source material.
>>
the whole kirito's sister wanting to fuck him in the game and irl was cringeworthy as fuck
>>
>>151718704
I always watch sub, and among the subs, believe it or not, SAO was nothing special
>>
>>151718704
I watched the dub, it is nothing special. Kirito sounds like a little bitch. The rape guy does a good job of sounding like a sleeze.
>>
>>151720388
To be fair, a lot of that is cringeworthy due to cultural differences. If I'm not mistaken, Japanese law has a special provision where siblings are allowed to marry eachother if one of them was adopted. This might NBR incest being so frequently featured in many anime.
>>
>>151719308
Hey, Jesus can forgive and forget someone who literally killed 4000 people, but I am pretty sure that being a villain who kidnaps and imprisons a waifu, and also probably kicks puppies, is unforgivable.
>>
>>151720451
>NBR incest

NBR isn't Incest.
>>
>>151720451
Its not her fault that every girl kirito meets instantly wants to suck his dick. im surprised we haven't gotten a scene with his mom wanting to fuck him yet
>>
>>151667859
>first episode makes me think its gonna be some sort of adventure/survival story where people try to work together or fight each other to make it to the end
it turns out the mc is completely op and just goes around doing whatever he wants and ends the game when his 15 year old wife with a fake baby gets kidnapped for some reason.
>>
>>151719308
>But of course, the only person who could possibly be stronger than Kirito is literally the creator of the game who also uses stupid cheats. Because nobody but a cheater can be better than Kirito.
He used a cheat because he underestimated Kirito, and almost revealed his immortality.
In their second duel, Heathclif was still beating the crap out of him without any cheats, and the only reason Kirito won in the end was because of Asuna.

>for reasons he himself doesn't even fucking remember
>this meme again
>>
>>151720718
Yeah, that is bullshit, Kirito and Asuna should have died
>>
File: Premiere.png (701KB, 754x814px) Image search: [Google]
Premiere.png
701KB, 754x814px
>Manga based on the video game

>Trying to be a "normal" NPC by rewarding people for quests
>with a single coin
>>
>>151721648
Hey, do you know how much quests we have to whore out for the quota?

It is a fuck ton, so the only reward those asshat player characters get is shit
>>
>>151721071
Do you think /a/ would have been more supportive of the series if it had ended with the first cour, with Kirito and Asuna dying in the process of successfully freeing everyone from the game, but with Kayaba then digitizing them out of pity, so they could live out the rest of their days as waifu and husbando in the depths of cyberspace?
>>
>>151721758
still wasted potential, but better than what we got
>>
>>151721758
>digitizing them out of pity, so they could live out the rest of their days as waifu and husbando in the depths of cyberspace

I would dig this.
>>
wait until you get to the second season where kirito solos a raid group of players and can slice through magic with his swords now
>>
>>151721758
On the plus side, there would be no main character to play through Alfheim
>>
File: HR1-029.jpg (3MB, 3506x4959px) Image search: [Google]
HR1-029.jpg
3MB, 3506x4959px
>>151721648
Best part, More Argo.
>>
File: 1446772980802.jpg (21KB, 736x402px) Image search: [Google]
1446772980802.jpg
21KB, 736x402px
>>151721929
There could have still been room for an S2, but perhaps with the government approaching Sinon for help, so she'd be the only main character for the season.
>>
>>151722015
She would make a decent main character and GGO would be much better without sword using faggots
>>
>>151724044
The top player in GGO is an American who won the first BoB with only a knife, and won the 4th one without even starting with a weapon. He would just kill people barehanded, and use their weapon to kill the next guy, till he ran out of ammo and went melee again.
>>
>>151724403
Was he a member of the navy seals, and knew how to kill people in 700 different ways
>>
/a/ dislikes SAO for that and more, like the girl who was just as good as Kirito at gaming but then died from complications due to AIDS or the time when two years worth of semen made a glopping noise as it dripped into Asuna's pussy
>>
>>151724530
Top of his class.
>>
Just watched the abridged series and it was pretty good. Leagues better than the actual series.
>>
>>151724403
>beating people to death barehanded

Man I can imagine a lot of people would ragequit as a result of getting rekt like that
>>
>>151720398
>>151720441
That's what I'm saying
Played straight it sucks but if you get on of those 90s tire dubs on it and it'd be comedic gold
>>
>>151667859
/a/ would tolerate all this shit if it wasn't popular and we all know it
People on /a/ have a compulsive need to be 'better at anime' than anyone else and this fell victim. I'm not saying this is good and doesn't have gaping plotholes the size of hallways but is it really that much worse than most of the shit people don't get grief for liking here?
>>
>>151724850
No, it would still be disliked anyway its just that people would be glad that a shitty anime with a gary stu protagonist failed to be popular
>>
>>151684799
>>151682303
wowtards need to leave, you faggots ruined crafting in MMO's
>>
>>151725123
>wow ruined crafting
Care to explain?
>>
>>151725160
What's there to explain? Why bother crafting/smithing equipment when you can farm better shit from mobs? And then every MMO following either ditched crafting or made it third-rate.
>>
>>151725233
Was there ever a mmo where the best gear comes from player crafting?
>>
>>151684799
Soooooooo use raid drops instead of player-made equipment.
>>
>>151725285
I think Ultima was one.
>>
>>151687134
>>151687584
If it's any consolation, the abridged series is one of the one that achieves the widest improvement gap from the source material, specially when it comes to characterisation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6kJKxvbgZ0&list=PLuAOJfsMefuej06Q3n4QrSSC7qYjQ-FlU&index=1
>>
Watching the fairy arc right now, there's literally no tension. If they die, they respawn, whoop.
>>
>>151727025
>watching a series because you want to see someone die
Anon, you need to get psychiatricly evaluated.
>>
>>151725285
Not the best but weapons made by blacksmiths in Ragnarok Online were far from useless.
>>
>>151727168
Blacksmith weapons are useful. But once you get into top tier content, well you could probably find better elsewhere.
>>
>>151712249
The manga is pretty neat too.
>>
>>151719308
If you made each arc a separate story, I actually think Aincrad was the worst, and each arc gets better (but not by much).

The death game made the players so slow it introduced horrible pacing issues. They skip over entire months as if there's a single interesting story they want to skip to but they just need to setup some backstory first, and then just when you think it's getting somewhere the entire plot breaks with a giant deus ex machina.

The only good things about Aincrad were some of the setting exploration (Why are characters dying when it should be impossible? How do we rescue Pina?), some of Kirito's and Asuna's relationship, and the fact it's presented entirely in-game without "breaking the wall" (unlike the rest of the arcs).
>>
>>151728654
>They skip over entire months as if there's a single interesting story they want to skip to
Yeah, that's cause the anime forced the story into chronological order, while the original first arc was just one book (last few episodes of the arc) plus side stories.
Doesn't make it better. Just means the anime had to work with a terribly planned "arc".
Later parts are much better, cause kawahara actually learns to write and all.
>>
>>151687584
He gets some in the Excaliber arc in season 2, but that's about it.
>>
File: 13213546454.png (1MB, 1000x760px) Image search: [Google]
13213546454.png
1MB, 1000x760px
>>151674927

>The AIs explore VR space with rocket dragons.

shit now i gotta read this
>>
File: 1475343250496.jpg (3MB, 3417x3112px) Image search: [Google]
1475343250496.jpg
3MB, 3417x3112px
>>151667859
>/a/ hates this

I see this all the time.. what percentage of /a/ has to hate something for it to qualify as across the board accepted as fact? And how is this determined? Where are the hard numbers?

I didn't like fairy dance and gungale was ok but it seemed incongruous to the original story but I still love SAO. I don't care that kirito has it too easy or asuna is a mary sue or muh drippin wet harem so what.. if that makes me a 1%er fine.. it's in my 3x3
>>
>>151667859
Reki Kawahara is a shit writer, who openly admitted he was shit at MMO's across the board, and even said Kirito was what he imagined a good gamer would be like, despite writing every other character as the shittiest, dumbest people in history. Expecting anything good out of this series is a mistake
>>
>>151729789
>all this shit taste
And nothing of value was lost.
>>
Alfheim was a mistake
>>
>>151667859
>yfw they could have used the house episodes for the revealing the guild master and the rest could have been them racing to the top to end it
>>
>>151730814
>not liking the honeymoon
House episodes were cute. It was only like 1 chapter in the original novel. I could have done without Yui, though.
>>
File: NTR in my SAO.png (690KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
NTR in my SAO.png
690KB, 1280x738px
>>151673889
There's a reason Mother's Rosario was the best arc so far. It might be because with one obvious exception the quality of the series has been continually increasing. It might be because it actually looks into character motivations, effects of new technology on the world, and the interaction between humans and technology like sci-fi should.

Or it might just be because the main character is reduced to side character status.

>>151671648
Except for that one girl who totally wanted to give Asuna the AIDS.
>>
>>151735182
Everything past sao arc, exept ggo
Was shit
Everything involving alfheim was pure shit in it's purest state
>>
>>151702439
>Bosses don't respawn in SAO. Terrible design, which is somehow missed in the video,
Perhaps willing to handwave it as a change made solely for the death game, especially as they do respawn after Aincrad appears in ALO.

>>151702477
Anon, we live in a world where Ted Cruz sent coded letters to the police bragging about his kills. Deathgun isn't even weird.
>>
File: 1480534450544.jpg (34KB, 574x382px) Image search: [Google]
1480534450544.jpg
34KB, 574x382px
AIDS-chan was the best part of the entire series, everything else was edgy memes for edgy teens
>>
>>151736154
the fuck are you talking about
guess im a #cruzmissile now
>>
>>151736154
>we live in a world where Ted Cruz sent coded letters to the police bragging about his kills.
Kek.
Seriously though, the Death Gun serial killer shit was pretty boring once the pieces came together.
Hey top player home address, single out the ones who live alone, and use an insecure digital lock that their stolen hospital key can open, and then sync your murder.
Only the last step is difficult really.
>>
>>151671305
it's an mmo. Mmos have crafting
>>
File: She Wants The Waifu.png (710KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
She Wants The Waifu.png
710KB, 1280x738px
>>151737524
>Only the last step is difficult really.
It's not supposed to be difficult, it's supposed to be scary and meaningful! I was in Laughing Coffin, I used to be someone! People were afraid of me and I was cool!

>>151735293
You are entitled to your own opinion and still wrong. A group of terminally ill kids trying to leave behind an enduring legacy in a super popular video game is the only actually good plot SAO has ever had. And its exploration of the potential medical uses of the first arcs murder machine was well overdue.

Also, Kirito played a bit part.
>>
>tfw no show combining the best parts of SAO and Log Horizon

Log Horizon has more interesting stuff as far as them figuring out the rules of the game world. But its dumb as fuck when they try to pretend NPCs are people and act like real players are in danger when they can't be killed permanently.
>>
>>151738290
>But its dumb as fuck when they try to pretend NPCs are people
Anon, they're not trapped in a game, the game was a portal to a fantasy world.
>>
>>151738290
Did you even watch the show? They lose memories of the real world when they die, and the NPCs are real people because they aren't playing a game, they've been transported to a world that looks and functions almost exactly like the game.
>>
>>151738633
Memory loss isn't discovered until middle of Season 2 iirc. I still think they should be fine with fucking over imaginary people.
>>
>>151738633
>hey lose memories of the real world when they die
Yes, miniscule amounts, and those memories are meaningless. Like the guy forgetting his fucking cat's name.

You're honestly going to pretend there's a single threat or serious problem in the LH universe? They're in a fantasyland, handed ultimate power, and there is almost no repercussion whatsoever for death. LH is the dullest shit in the world.
>>
>>151738290
>But its dumb as fuck when they try to pretend NPCs are people
They appear to be true ai's, and you have to be retarded to think otherwise, if you've finished season 1.
>act like real players are in danger when they can't be killed permanently.
The stakes are raised as the show progresses. It turns out that they lose memories of the real world every time they die.
Also, almost every conflict has stakes that are higher than the actual player deaths. The nature of the world is exactly what you'd expect from an mmorpg without GM's. Someone can get really far ahead of everyone else and then either take control of the game world or turn it into a literal hell for everyone else and making it impossible to fight back. Unfortunate, since everyone is immortal.
>>
>>151738741
>Memory loss isn't discovered until middle of Season 2 iirc.
Nope. Season 1. Shiroe learns it from the sage.
>I still think they should be fine with fucking over imaginary people.
What, you don't feel anything for fucking Rudy?
>>
>>151673037
The show was shit from Ep 1
>>
>>151737904

>beautiful butterfly
>literally KYH
>>
>>151739388
>KYH
>beautiful
>>
File: Oq6KspG.png (636KB, 662x500px) Image search: [Google]
Oq6KspG.png
636KB, 662x500px
>>151667859
Yeah I never understood how Kirito didn't die after his thing reached zero or how he and Asuna were still alive after dying. Somebody please explain that to me.
>>
>>151739450

As far as butterflies go, yes.
>>
>>151739516
>how Kirito didn't die after his thing reached zero
Bad writing, asspull, or lag spike.
>or how he and Asuna were still alive after dying
There is a delay between when you die in-game and when you die in real life. Because death isn't immediate, Kayaba extended the delay and let them live as a reward for beating the game.
>>
>>151739680
> lag spike.
Haha imagine if that were true, the connection was bad enough that people died from lag in SAO.
That would actually be decent writing when the antagonist laments over his design over creating a beautiful artificial reality still succumbing to the flaws of the physical reality.
>>
>>151739782
His last words were either "Fucking lag." or "Shitty ping."
>>
>>151739516
Kayaba is a nice guy.

Aside from the 4000 corpses.
>>
>>151739913
>getting stuck in SAO while you're on Time Warner
>>
>>151740116

If you value your life, stay in starter town and suffer it out.
>>
>>151740397
Just power level until it doesn't matter anymore.

Who cares how many times the boss hits you if you have all the HP?

Or, you know, shield wall and let your formation cover for your moments of not being there.
>>
>>151740639

The bosses oneshot even the tankiest tank. Even a field mob can swipe your head off.
>>
>>151725285
There are some but they are unpopular as fuck
>>
>>151725285
WoW, if you upgrade the shit you make.
>>
>>151740699
Power level harder.
>>
>>151740896

Look, guy. If you go out to the fields and lag out when you are supposed to be evading a hit, the mob will push your face in with one hit. SAO is not a game where you can cheese shit like in wow. One mistake and that's it, game over.
>>
>Kirito says he's gonna make it to floor 4 in a month
>a month passes and he's still on floor 1
kek

Also, how much did this fucking game cost to make?
>>
>>151740964
You're obviously not power leveling hard enough. Go kill boars for like 3 weeks.
>>
>>151725285
>best gear comes from player crafting?

Star Wars Galaxies
>>
>>151741413

That's not how it works in SAO, you moron. The easy mobs are always farmed out.
>>
>you can just grind low level mobs solo to become the strongest player in the game
Who designed this garbage?
>>
>>151739782
>>151739913
MEIN SIDES
>>
>>151741413
That's like killing level 1 Slime in Dragon Quest until you're level 70. And that's pretty much the only way Kirito could've gotten to that high a level before completing floor 4. And he did that in the beta, where you couldn't die in real life. Autism.
>>
>>151741463
Sounds like someone is powerleveling harder than you.

Maybe you should hide behind their petticoats, Nancy.

>>151741603
How else would you play Dragon Quest?
>>
>>151741682
Fighting Metal Slime.
>>
>>151667859
I actually really liked the part where he was back in reality and dealing with his "sister", and her feelings for him.

Then the elf game happens and that was meh.

Still SAO was alright, but what I hate was how SAOII introduced an even better world, but half assed it and didnt even spend the entire show on it, as soon as GGO arc ended I was disappointed, it was back to Alfheim when GGO was pretty interesting and should have spent more time there.
>>
The next MMO anime needs to be like Star Wars Galaxies, the possibilities and potential is infinitely expanded when you introduce space travel and exploring the planets and moons and space stations and all of that into the mix
>>
>>151725285
Technically EVE, but basically everything beyond super basic fittings and hulls are player crafted.
>>
>>151743223
>I actually really liked the part where he was back in reality and dealing with his "sister", and her feelings for him.
>Then the elf game happens and that was meh.
I liked how she tried to deal with her feelings towards her notbrother by latching onto some dude in an MMO. And it just turns out to be him, so she says fuck it.
>>
>>151743735
I forgot about that, that was just hilarious, the realization, and then the way they acted offline afterwards immediately

Oh hell, makes me wanna rewatch that bit even.
>>
File: FOREVER SUGUHA.gif (3MB, 357x372px) Image search: [Google]
FOREVER SUGUHA.gif
3MB, 357x372px
>>151743779
>>
>>151743817
I quite liked her English VA actually
>>
>>151667920
>I thought something about sword art online the other day but I forgot what it was
Basically sums up the entire show right there.
>>
>>151743735
>latching onto some dude in an MMO
It still perplexes me that she didn't catch on that it was him until much later. I know he might look generic but surely voice and mannerisms would've been a dead giveaway.
>>
>>151743905
>voice
They actually all sound completely different in-game. Even in SAO, they sound different from what they do in real life. It's one of the first things Kirito notices when Asuna wakes up for the first time.

>mannerisms
He's done a lot of growing up locked away in a game for 2 years. I imagine a lot of his mannerisms changed.
>>
I thought it was good for 10 episodes then it went to shit.
>>
>>151721758
Yes.
>>
>>151741496
Blizzard will almost certainly make a game as bad as, if not worse than, the one in SAO.
>>
File: q.png (258KB, 600x439px) Image search: [Google]
q.png
258KB, 600x439px
>>151738811
Have you even played a game? Tell us Anon, why is it ever OK to die in an MMO? Why does anyone bother playing an MMO if you can just restart?

In how many shows is permanent death the looming character motivation? What about going on adventures, building an empire, solving mysteries, becoming a better player, or, you know, seeing your family again? Log Horizon even has a better romance story than SAO.

Yeah, in Log Horizon you can survive with basically no effort. But if you wind up in a bad city, it may as well have been a gate to hell.

For a bunch whose lives (or money) is on the line, the characters in SAO don't seem to be very motivated.
>>
>>151686051
GGO's actually pretty cool, though, at least as far as giving good fight scenes.
>>
>>151676742
Wait, how the fuck does that work? How do they convert AR into actual feeling? If you clash swords with someone can you feel it? What does it look like to everyone else, do they just see a bunch of stupid kids running around screaming? How is that even legal, it looks like their playing on the streets in that trailer, wouldn't there be cars? If it's at night then wouldn't there be massive noise complaints? I don't understand, please explain I just want to understand.
Thread posts: 334
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.