[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why wasn't this as successful as Star Driver?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

Why wasn't this as successful as Star Driver?
>>
Protagonist wasn't nearly as fabulous.
>>
>>151574216
It was boring as shit. It was like a nice looking box with nothing in it.
>>
>>151574533
Sounds like Star Driver.
But as this anon said >>151574254, no fujo appeal.
>>
>>151574216
The design of the main mecha of this anime is based as fuck, even the whole assembly process of it was really cool, albeit a bit impractical.
>>
>>151574631
Nah, SD had memes and the fishgirl song.
>>
I only read bad things about this series, but I'm a sucker for mechas and I love Bones, so let me ask two things:
1) Are there many action and battle scenes?
2) At least the animation is good?
>>
>>151574692
>a nice looking box with nothing in it
SD was just Utena-lite with mechs and (too many) boring characters.
>>
File: 1404597637490.jpg (216KB, 1445x1474px) Image search: [Google]
1404597637490.jpg
216KB, 1445x1474px
It was too formulaic for the vast majority of the show without being as flashy and fabulous as Star Driver.

The sequences where they'd assemble the mech in the space elevator were pretty cool though. The first OP was also really good.
>>
>>151574746
Yes to both.
>>
Heroman > Star Driver > this shit
>>
>>151575115
>Heroman
>better than anything
>>
>>151574216
First episode was cool as shit. After that it kinda just coasted, never really doing anything new.
>>
>>151574648
>liking cancerous merchandising
Captain Earth is basically a large toy advertisement and you can tell by the plot design. A lot of times, the plot is forced to display certain things in order to sell toys or even the animal plushie. The plot is awkward because it seems to be re-written by a committee of producers comprised of merchandise sellers each of which wants a certain minimum exposure for a toy model.

As a result, you get a lot of things that don't make sense in the plot and for which no time is spent covering the problems. For example, the giant robo assembly as it zooms through three different space stations to construct what amounts to be the same robot each time. They should just leave it assembled. Three stations is three toys. Three parts making up the giant robo means not only three parts must be sold, but different mix-and-match parts can also be sold especially in gatchapon or similar scale format. It also allows for multiple strategies in the CE card game.

After the giant robo is assembled by zooming super fast through the three separate space stations it then usually comes to a stop thus wasting all the speed. Why do all that zoom in the first place? Why can't there just be one station? Yeah that would be two fewer toys to sell.

Three separate stations being required means if any one station is destroyed, the robo assembly is rekt. Not to mention that no military command would ever consent to building such obvious and multiple points of critical failure in a weapon system. It's also insulting to the audience to have such obvious bad logic.
>>
>>151575314
I never said I liked the anime, my euphoric friend. And yes, I did say that it was impractical, but hey we had multiple stage assembly mecha since 0079, it was dumb back then and it's still dumb now (I'm abstracting the point that the whole mecha business is impractical). Doesn't make it less cool. Also, I didn't buy shit, so no harm done. Now just go back to /m be salty about G-Reco or something.
>>
>>151575314
>Captain Earth is basically a large toy advertisement and you can tell by the plot design. A lot of times, the plot is forced to display certain things in order to sell toys or even the animal plushie. The plot is awkward because it seems to be re-written by a committee of producers comprised of merchandise sellers each of which wants a certain minimum exposure for a toy model.
Wow, sounds like literally every mecha anime ever made, ever since Mazinger Z!
>>
>>151574216
Star Driver was successful?
>>
>>151576295
About 20k sales and constant circlejerk on /a/.
>>
File: coastal nonsense.jpg (971KB, 952x1024px) Image search: [Google]
coastal nonsense.jpg
971KB, 952x1024px
>>151574216
it needed more Pitz (and action scenes)
>>
>>151574216
Star Driver had atypical Aniplex marketing and an all star cast of VAs despite having an equally subpar story, setting and cast.
>>151576366
It average 9,404 in sales. I guess that's the typical event ticket bullshit
>>
because BONES has lost the capacity to not shit the bed with any series they do.

Yamakan and Salty Dog clung around for far too long, Puck DID NOTHING WRONG and the evil fluffy robot princess did nothing. I mean, seriously, why did she even get a squirrel when she was SO IRRELEVANT? That pink squirrel should've gone to a real magical girl.

Still, I think the Captain was a lot more satisfying than the last Eureka spinoffs.
>>
>>151576637
>because BONES has lost the capacity to not shit the bed with any series they do.
Dandy, Mob, Kekkai Sensen, ConRevo.
>>
File: time for robots.jpg (155KB, 899x839px) Image search: [Google]
time for robots.jpg
155KB, 899x839px
Simply put, the complete wasted potential on Akari.
>>
That transformation sequence was pure sex.
>>
>>151577087
She gave me a belly/navel fetish, so there's that.
>>
>>151574216
There characters weren't really compelling, apart from the girls looking hot. I even started disliking navel girl, when she was fine with nuking the planet as a gambit when abducted. Reeked of "lol I know I'm a main character". The alien villains were boring and on the human side, Salty Dog was simply plain shit. The show tried to have that semi-serious atmosphere and then you have team rocket style mustache twirling villains you can't take seriously, like Yamakan with his cup&string phone.

Plot could have been saved if halfway in they had revealed that it's a shared universe with StarDriver and those robot aliens are like the SD mechs, but outside of a containment bubble and self-aware, with Takuto and friends swooping in to lend a hand and bring some charisma to the cast.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.