[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shinnkai Makoto

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 5

File: 2a362cdb586656f09f871ec882e794c4.jpg (298KB, 1146x1221px) Image search: [Google]
2a362cdb586656f09f871ec882e794c4.jpg
298KB, 1146x1221px
Is he the second Miyazaki?
>>
No they're completely different in terms of direction and vision. Stop comparing them.
>>
>>151426350
No longer so different in terms of sales, which is the only thing that matters
>>
Miyazaki was a first rate artist, he's a third rate writer and a hack director.
>>
>>151426401
Comparing them like comparing Tarantino with Spielberg. Stop it. Only thing they have in common is being box office hits.
>>
No, Miyazaki's coming out of retirement to put his ass in place.
>>
He's the thinking's man Miyazaki.
>>
Yes, yes he is
>>
The only things they have in common is that their films got really successful and both are overrated as fuck.

The people who defend their works however, have a lot more in common. Both Miyazaki and Shinkai fans can't make compelling arguments as to why their films are good and will always deflect criticism with box office numbers, opinions of shitty critics and popularity. The word ''hater'' and ''contrarian'' are also really loved by both groups.
>>
>>151426098
Yes, both are overrated shit.
>>
Didn't watch his new film yet since the only available version on nyaa has shitty quality, but going by his previous films he's mostly a mediocre director who makes really pretty works. Never understood what was the appeal of 5cm beyond the beautiful landscapes
>>
>>151426098
He hasn't shown the same ambition for subject themes you see in Miyazaki films. So no, no comparison
>>
>>151427805
Agreed, 5cmps was totally flat when you take away the eyecatching scenery. However KNNW was a massive improvement because it actually added a decent number of story elements to the pretty pictures.
>>
>>151426098
No. Anyways, I watched only two films of his, Five Centimeters Per Second and The Garden of Words. I hated the first one, I loved the latter.
>>
>>151426469
Cut that out. Miyazaki, Shinkai, and Spielberg are actually good.
>>
I'll take Miyazaki story telling with shinkai artwork anyway.
>>
>>151426098
No.

Shinkai is a one-trick who can only do slow-paced """""atmospheric"""""" romantic movies.
>>
>>151427805
From my experience, Shinkai's films are hit or miss. If you have some experience related to his film, it will stuck you in some degree. For 5cm, Akane part got me.

>>151426098
I personally think Shinkai really hate being called Miyazaki successor, he created the Children who chase the lost voice out of spite.
>>
>>151426098
He is the first and the last Shinkai.

No one can being the second-someone.
>>
File: 1403442447080.jpg (228KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1403442447080.jpg
228KB, 900x900px
>>151431162
So exactly like Miyazaki with his little girl goes on adventure and fire is involved movies?
>>
>>151431748
Not really. The only thing that Mononoke, Whisper of the Heart, Totoro and Kiki have in common is that they all have girls as protagonists.
>>
File: Kotonoha no Niwa.webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Kotonoha no Niwa.webm
3MB, 800x450px
>>151426098
I like him because he made Cake Feet: The Anime.
>>
File: 1402071339887.gif (3MB, 468x404px) Image search: [Google]
1402071339887.gif
3MB, 468x404px
>>151431916
>Exactly the thing I just said
>>
>How fucking dare somebody hit it up in the mainstream and actually make people pay attention to animated movies coming out of Japan again

Basically what this thread is about. This is about /a/ and it's never ending war against the bogeyman normalfags they think are trying to ruin anime for them somehow but in actuality don't give a shit about /a/ cause it's not actually the center of the unvierse
>>
>>151428925
>I hated the first one, I loved the latter.
Me too. I didn't mind the idea behind 5cm/s but the 2nd and 3rd act threw me off (only the ending made it bearable). Garden of Words was pretty comfy though.
>>
Is Makoto Shinkai his pen name or real name?
>>
>>151426098
He doesn't have a fraction of Miyazaki's talent and his films are completely different. "The next Miyazaki" is pretty much a term for the next anime guy to be popular in the west though, in which case, no, Your Name ain't gonna put him on the map here.
>>
>>151432422
Pen name.
>>151432261
So it comes down to muh secret club again?
>>
yeah
another artist i avoid because of /a/
>>
>>151432081
Stop trying to give me a foot fetish.
>>
>>151427805
5cm/s is a warm pile of shit.
His latter movies are much better, especially Kimi no na Wa.
>>
one makes shit and the other makes shit
>>
>>151426098
>5 cm per second exists
He's a fucking hack
>>
>>151426098
Hosoda is the next Miyazaki in terms of artistry and Katabuchi/Yamada are the next Takahata. Shinkai is the Jap Shyamalan.
>>
>>151434660
What a load of crap. How does any of that make sense?
>>
5cm/s shows that he has no idea of how human relationships work and is only capable of creating a fetishised otaku perversion of how normal people act in real life.
>>
>>151434757
Hosoda is the only one currently that can make you feel the sense of scale like Miyazaki did. Also his artstyle is consitent and great. Katabuchi and Yamada are both vying that Takahata spot with tackling different themes with consistent and conservative viewpoints. As for Shinkai being the Jap Shyamalan you should make that connection yourself.
>>
>>151434660
That's the guy that made The Boy and the Beast, and The Girl Who Lept Through Time right? If so I agree.

I could care less about the guy that makes mediocre movies, and one great one.
>>
>>151435044
But the boy and the beast is meh tier tho.
>>
>>151435044
Yep.
>>
>>151434933
Come on man, those are outrageously silly comparisons and you know it. Miyazaki's works are hardly defined by "scale" and what on earth could you mean by "consistent and conservative" themes? Katabuchi and Yamada are both rather progressive filmmakers, not that Takahata is one I'd describe as conservative. Shyamalan is a straight up stupid comparison, he's known for stupid plot twists while Shinkai is known for tfw no gf. I don't get that one at all.
>>
>>151435243
Shyamalan Comparison was more of a one great movie (Voices of a distant star) then a lifetime of mediocrity. And for the Takahata comparison is more about conservative directing style. His works could easily be live action. So does Katabuchi and Yamada's works. He doesn't take it to the extremes of the medium like Miyazaki, Oshii or Ikuhara. I hope this made sense.
>>
>>151435427
Have you even seen any of the movies by the filmmakers you're talking about?
>>
>>151434825
pretty much this, Shinkai's awful at actually writing characters, he just gets overrated because of his signature art style

Your Name only got hyped because of MILLIONS OF DOLLARS of advertisement put into it and in the end it was just a highschool romcom
>>
>>151435543
All of them except Kono Sekai and Kimi no Na wa.
>>
>>151435579
Baffles me that you could somehow think they're reproducible in live action.
>>
>>151427805
I was expecting a disappointment in one way or another, but this was so much better than his other films. Absolutely beautiful.
>>
>>151426098
all style no substance
>>
As long as he doesn't complain about Tezuka and make a same mistake as Miyazaki like a fucking cuck hypocrite, I don't care what he wants to be.
>>
>>151436011
Miyazaki's point of view about Tezuka isn't wrong though.
>>
>>151436011
Miyazaki doesn't dislike Tezuka, and his complaints aren't invalid.
>>
>>151436086
It's not about being wrong or right. I'm just saying fucker shouldn't criticize when he makes a same fucking mistake that he criticize others for later.

>>151436162
read above, though I always do like to see Tezuka as a man and not Jesus reincarnate (assuming we even had one in the first place)
>>
>>151427785
Wow you must be such an expert
>>
>>151426098
I love Shinkai but he's no way as talented as Miyazaki is. He relies too much on visuals and is not exactly very imaginative.

But he's still young, he has plenty of time to develop his craft.
>>
>>151436707
That's his unique point. He once said he couldn't create a world solely based in imagination like Miyazaki.
>>
>>151435190
I agree Wolf Children is Hosoda's second best film after The Girl Who Lept Through Time. I don't really remember Summer Wars.
>>
File: cagliostromontage.jpg (3MB, 4877x4533px) Image search: [Google]
cagliostromontage.jpg
3MB, 4877x4533px
Shinkai doesnt have the vision or the overall talent Miyazaki has. He makes boring as fuck romantic dramas (which most arent even good). It may be nice if he tried to do something really out there instead of focusing on realistic stories. after all it's animation. you should go out of your way to do something that can;t be done in live action. I really enjoyed Garden of Words (except for the scenes where the characters resembled 3DCG. That was ugly as fuck). I also felt 5CPS had great art and enjoyed the 1st story, but it was overall mediocre. This guy needs to change his shit because it's fucking dull.

Miyazaki isn't perfect either but he isn't afraid of trying different things even if it doesn't work out. Ponyo wasn't all that amazing but he had a vision in which he wanted to go back to doing hand drawn cel animation and I feel that was one of the highlights of the film. Porco Rosso was the 1st film in which he didnt go after a children audience he made it for adults. He takes chances which is something shinkai doesn't do. shinkai literally has one formula and will milk it until it's completely dry which is pathetic.

also Miyazaki made the greatest anime film of all time. Pic related.
>>
>>151426098
Why would he want to be hack number 2? He can be his own guy.
>>
>>151437741
That's not Princess Mononoke?
>>
>>151437790
>muh powerful wimmin
your taste is shit.
>>
>>151437741
I think it's the opposite, Shinkai actually worked on more diverse anime titles not only romantic dramas hes also known for employing varying animation techniques while Miyazaki is known for being stuck with old fashioned techniques as he thinks that he already reached perfection while showing contempt for progress and evolution.
>>
>>151437842
That is the last thing I would say about Princess Mononoke.

I've seen the movie a single time, same with Lupin. You know Lupin that powerful mane.

I've been told recently I'm sexist, homophobic, xenophopic, racist, and many more thing, so yeah. So fuck me what am I gonna do now that I'm a feminist. Antifa here I come!
>>
>>151437741
Cagliostro is incomparably better than anything Shinkai ever shat out and it's not even the best Lupin III movie, let alone Miyazaki's best
>>
>>151438086
not the same anon but comparing mononoke to lupin is like comparing Hunger Games to Reservoir Dogs. 2 totally different movies... except one is actually great and the other is shit. though im sure anyone with common sense could figure that out.
>>
>>151426401
Do you have any idea how much they spend into advertisement campaing?
>>
>>151438277
Thats shit movie that hipsters memed into being considered a good movie
>>
>>151438349
TOHO estimated income was 6 billion yen (Now they got 21 billion yen). Yeah, I have no idea.
>>
>>151438451
And zero theater releases in nordic countries
Is it just that they cba sub it in local languages or what? Fucking hell.
>>
>>151438277
I would like to say I agree with you on the first part, but I disagree about it not being the best Lupin movie. It is the best film in the Lupin franchise without a question, but I will admit it's not the best film to represent Lupin as a character. There are better ones. Also it's easily Miyazaki's best film with Spirited Away being a close second. We can all agree it has the best cast of characters compared to a lot of Miyazaki's vanilla as fuck characters. same with music. Yeah we all love Hisaishi but he cannot compare to Yuji Ohno. with the scores with ghibli/miyazaki films they always have music thats very forgettable with the exception of maybe the theme and one other song where as cagliostro's music is perfect from beginning to end. but aside from character music and a great story, it's the film that influenced the most creators from Spielberg to John Lasseter as well as putting Miyazaki's name on the map. yeah he's dabbled around in anime and manga for a decade prior to that, but tt was cafgliostro that was responsible for the future of miyazaki and the films that came after thus deserving the to be awarded his best film because it is the most important
>>
>>151438427
you're thinking of Nausicaa which is incredibly boring but the internet loves it. it really is a piece of shit.. at least compared to the manga.
>>
>>151438525
Blame your local film distributor.
>>
>>151438451
Movie trailers had more screen time on TV than Pixar movies.
Not just movie, but almost every bookstore had posters and tall (over 160cm) cardboard stands advertising light novel.

Advertising budget was HUGE comparing with any other non-Ghibli movie.
>>
>>151438600
Shouldn't it be at most 3 billion yen?
>>
>>151438686
No idea of actual numbers, but having advertisements on NHK and TV Tokyo primetime is not cheap.
With their advertisement budget, estimated 21 billion yen sounds like disapointment.
>>
>>151438730
It should be lower since their first estimated income was 6 billion yen. Every related people were surprised when it went this big. Noteworthy, the wind rises production cost was around 3.5 billion yen, should be the normal budget for normal anime movie.
>>
>>151438840
Wind Rises production numbers doesn't contain marketing and localization.
Same thing was with Spirited Away where Disney distributed film in North America and Europe. TOHO handled Asia markets. Disney didn't hold back with their campaing.
>>
>>151438977
OK. But my point is just the revenue projection from TOHO is quite low. Shouldn't they include the advertisement budget in it? But I also accepted that it is possible that they were willing to spend more after it hit the market.
>>
>>151439045
Have they mentioned is there other supporting companies besides TOHO in Kimi no na wa production?
Stock holders are happy if you show them big profit percents from picked numbers, which still are true, than summing up all the numbers what production, distribution, marketing etc cost. Money doesn't come from single source in these kind of movies so it's easier to lure other investors to fund next project when you have good looking numbers on paper.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.