[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm really not trying to start a circle jerk with this thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: nana.jpg (65KB, 300x287px) Image search: [Google]
nana.jpg
65KB, 300x287px
I'm really not trying to start a circle jerk with this thread. I don't mean to offend anybody by making it.

Anyway, has anybody noticed how much anime culture has changed in the last 15 years especially? I remember anime being THE REAL SHIT but, now it's so different. I spent months wondering how people liked things like Steins;Gate, to finally discover that the VN community is behind a lot of the positive reviews.

I want to ask, how do y'all cope with this? Those of you who grew up with Ghost in the Shell and Akira, Nadia and Black Jack. Do you connect with today's anime community?

I don't mean to imply that yesterday's anime is better. I just struggle to relate to a lot of today's anime. Moe, Idols, fetish stuff. How do you guys find the more cerebral, less sexual animes? Are y'all as annoyed by fetish and comfort anime as I am?

I remember anime being this bastion of originality. Things have changed a lot. I don't mean to say that we didn't have bad anime back in the day but, I feel like there's less good anime now. I struggle to find things to watch because of my annoyance with modern anime culture.

How do you guys cope? Have you learned to love modern anime? Or are you like me, and you only watch 1 anime a season, if that?

Again, not trying to offend anybody who likes anime these days. I just ask that you ignore the thread. I only want to connect with those who grew up with something different, because I don't want to give up on something I loved so much at one time. I want to enjoy anime every season.
>>
>>151320387
>I don't mean to offend anybody by making it.
Too late. I haven't even finished reading your post and I'm already sulking.
>>
>>151320580
I anticipated this.
>>
File: 1345953966.78234736.jpg (70KB, 448x342px) Image search: [Google]
1345953966.78234736.jpg
70KB, 448x342px
>>151320387
Eh, I don't really think anime has changed much in the two decades I've watched it. I mean sure fads have come and gone along with styles and other things that ebb and flow with time. The only real difference I feel there is more targeted pandering stuff, and far less risky interesting stuff because of advances in marketing and market research

>Or are you like me, and you only watch 1 anime a season, if that?
Basically, I still have a lot of old stuff to watch though to tide me over. This is the same way I deal with most media (movies/books) and their modern incarnations.
>>
>>151321514
>The only real difference I feel there is more targeted pandering stuff, and far less risky interesting stuff because of advances in marketing and market research
I think that's what bums me out, more than anything.

Have you found any good ways to find stuff you're interested in, besides /a/ and friends? I'm pretty much the only person I know watching anime these days.
>>
>>151320387
After a while, you get over the "mature anime for mature persons like myself" thing, and start to appreciate the comfy stuff instead.
>>
>>151321660
What are these "friends" of whom you speak? This is /a/, don't you realize.

Basically, season charts, letting /a/ pre-watch stuff, and finding what isn't being talked about, because /a/ never talks about good anime.
>>
Anime has changed a lot in the past 5 years too. I grew up with early KyoAni and VN adaptations, but I never got into idols and mobage and shit. So it's not just the sci-fi/moe dichotomy.
>>
>>151320387
>I remember anime being this bastion of originality. Things have changed a lot. I don't mean to say that we didn't have bad anime back in the day but, I feel like there's less good anime now. I struggle to find things to watch because of my annoyance with modern anime culture.

you getting older my dude. your taste have change. It's called growing up.

I rarely read shouen and harem's cause majority of it is trash anyways. it just happens
>>
>>151321660
You can try binging on everything by creators that you like. I was almost too lazy to watch Kemonozume despite being a Yuasa fan, but I loved it.
>>
>>151321891
As if there was ever an SF/moe dichotomy -- the two have overlapped since Macross, if not before.
>>
>>151320387
I watch 1~3 shows a season and keep busy with anime from my backlog and on-going manga.
>>
It's anime studios' fault for being either incapable or unwilling to gear their products towards an international market, opting instead to pander to their increasingly degenerating domestic audience.

Let me put it this way: back in the day, it was a safe assumption that anybody in Japan who liked anime would go on to actually have sex at least once in their lives. But today, anybody that likes anime in Japan probably won't ever have sex.

And look how it's always the series that refuse to pander to those people that recieve international acclaim.

Pretty soon people all over the world who grew up on anime will make their own anime.

Then everything will be good again.
>>
>I'm really not trying to start a circle-jerk
>but this thread is only for those who feel like I do, other people please ignore it
>>
>>151321985
That's been a good strategy for me recently. I've been watching Heidi, old Macross stuff, things like that. I've liked them.

>>151321940

Yeah, that's probably it, ultimately.
>>
>>151320387
There is definitely more good anime with grater variety now than there has ever been. The total amount that is, the ratio of good to bad however is worse than ever. The reason why a lot of people feel like anime used to be a lot better is because the absolute best show from recent years can't come close to the best shows form previous decades.

It's normal to not care about any recently airing shows as most of them are mediocrities no one will care about or think much of in a few years despite how hyped they might be now. I'm mostly watching stuff from my backlog which consists of shows I see brought up often in the community as shows worthwhile watching don't get forgotten.
>>
>>151322677
I know it seems ironic. I just...I don't mean to offend people who really like anime now. I understand that they enjoy it and I respect that. I just wanted to hear from people who I could relate to. Not for the purposes of circle-jerking, though. I honestly didn't know if it's just me who feels this way or, if it's a common way of thinking.

I have a better understanding now.

Whoever gave me the tip about watching things nobody talks about: Thanks. I'm going to try that strategy.
>>
File: 1462235038716.png (349KB, 570x459px) Image search: [Google]
1462235038716.png
349KB, 570x459px
>>151321660
>Have you found any good ways to find stuff you're interested in, besides /a/ and friends? I'm pretty much the only person I know watching anime these days.
Databases like MAL and AniDB, in addition to seasonal charts. It isn't hard to find anime to watch, despite what recfags think. The majority of people are just too lazy to seek out anime on their own, and look to others for opinions/validation. Search for writers, directors and creators whose works you've enjoyed in the past, and you're likely to find other works of theirs that will resonate with your tastes. Using /a/ as a taste barometer is foolish, in my opinion, because the majority of people here either have shit taste or aren't particularly knowledgeable. I've had far more success doing my own research, and amassed a massive backlog to boot. I guarantee that you'll find something to watch that you haven't heard of before.
>>
>>151324363
>Databases like MAL and AniDB, in addition to seasonal charts. It isn't hard to find anime to watch, despite what recfags think. The majority of people are just too lazy to seek out anime on their own, and look to others for opinions/validation. Search for writers, directors and creators whose works you've enjoyed in the past, and you're likely to find other works of theirs that will resonate with your tastes. Using /a/ as a taste barometer is foolish, in my opinion, because the majority of people here either have shit taste or aren't particularly knowledgeable. I've had far more success doing my own research, and amassed a massive backlog to boot. I guarantee that you'll find something to watch that you haven't heard of before.
Thanks, man. I'd look toward personal influences. And I'll use your resources to find stuff I like. I haven't heard of them before and, I guess my searches haven't been much use on other sites but, I'm seeing a bunch of stuff I've never watched after using the websites you sugggested.

Thanks.
>>
File: [screams].jpg (72KB, 1440x910px) Image search: [Google]
[screams].jpg
72KB, 1440x910px
>>151324363
>>151326903
This is exactly it.
All moderately smart people do this and just come shitpost on /a/'s flavor of the month/season.

>>151326903
Also try /m/
>>
Dont worry OP modern anime is trash and nothing but fap material
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.