[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In Code Geass, they make a big deal that Britannia is supressing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: Ashford_Academy_-_Group.png (1MB, 1368x720px) Image search: [Google]
Ashford_Academy_-_Group.png
1MB, 1368x720px
In Code Geass, they make a big deal that Britannia is supressing Japanese culture. Why is it then that Ashford Academy is nothing like British/American schools and is instead just like a fancy Japanese High School with a bunch of clubs, student councils, festivals and all the other usual anime clichés?
>>
>>151105494
Anime school is not the same as a Japanese school. There's nothing specifically Japanese about that school in Code Geass though. They're not teaching people to use bows or how the tea ceremony works. That's actual Japanese culture. Clubs aren't only Japanese things and the festivals weren't really Japanese either.
>>
>British schools

Grange Hill is the only anime worth watching
>>
>>151106361
>Clubs aren't only Japanese things
They mention that everyone has to be in a club, that's a very Japanese thing, in Britain school clubs aren't that important. The student council is also a very Japanese thing, British schools have Prefects and Head Boys/Girls (like in Harry Potter), which are nowhere to be seen in CG.
And then there's the public baths, you won't see that in any British school.
>>
>>151106627
It's a Japanese thing that's not uniquely or inherently tied to their actual cultural roots. Are student councils really that powerful outside of anime? No, not for the most part.
>>
>>151105494
>no thought went into Code Geass' story or worldbuilding
More news at 11
>>
>>151106627
I'm a bong and I was on the student council :)
>>
>>151106627
But Britannia is not Britain. Its more of a mish mash of the British Royalty System before the English Civil Wars with 19th century Sociological theory promoted by Herbert Spencer. Britannia also lost control of Britain to Napoleon and resumed Empire making from America, which had failed to separate.
>>
>>151107164
That may be true, still doesn't change the fact that Ashford Academy's school system is suspiciously similar to Japan's.
>>
>>151105494
American schools have all of those things too.
>>
>>151107413
How do we know Japan in Geassverse has a similar outlook to our Japan apart from some superficial material cultural stuff like kimonos? They have no anime or manga for instance
>>
>>151106918
I'd say they put more thought into the invasion and occupation of Japan than into making the school overtly British in a world where history isn't necessarily going to be the same.
>>
>>151105494
Pretty much every anime will have "foreigners" act Japanese and use elements of Japanese culture even when it doesn't make sense.
>>
>>151105494
Because Code Geass is literally a Japanese wankfest. It's supposed to make the little Jap feel so strong and rebellious to the west because some noodly faggot got some superpower and went mastermind.

Yet at the same time they don't want the Jap audience to feel too weird and alienated so they keep the culture basically the same because people don't like change/difference.
>>
>>151107164
Then it would look like a New England WASP prep school (Exeter, Andover, etc.) with more social darwinism
>>
>>151109041
I'd argue the opposite. Code Geass is definitely made by and for Japanese people but it doesn't make Japan the country look that strong. In fact, the mastermind isn't Japanese and manipulates the country's cause for his benefit. He's a white man, not Asian.
>>
>>151105494
What do we know about Britannian schools in the Geassverse? It could be possible that pre-invasion Japan had an entirely different school system.
>>
>>151109770
>pre-invasion Japan had an entirely different school system.
What do we even know about pre-invasion Japan?
>>
>>151107164
Don't forget that half the Britannian noble families are German for some reason.
>>
>>151112296
i mean thats not that farfetched, lots of white americans have german heritage.
>>
>>151109041
Code Geass makes the Japanese look incompetent as fuck what are you on about? The only reason they have a shot is beacuse a Britannian prince decides to use them to kill his father. They are used as cannon fodder the entire time.
>>
>>151112296
You realize that the English royal family was german, right?
>>
File: voltaire.jpg (38KB, 507x600px) Image search: [Google]
voltaire.jpg
38KB, 507x600px
>>
>>151112459
Yes, but they wouldn't give their children German names.
>>
>>151112350
Yeah but German Americans were low-class people who wanted a new life. There must've a noble exodus sometime in the Geassverse or else it wouldn't make sense.
>>
>>151111942
They didn't have a royal family and was a parliamentary republic already.

>>151112296
German families are tied to British families. Doesn't help the fact in Akito they mentioned Napoleon revolutionized all of Europe and most of the nobles of Europe went to Russia or America.
>>
>>151112501
There absolutely was a noble exodus in the geassverse

thats the whole reason Britania exists.
>>
>>151112469
French """"""""""philosophy""""""""""
>>
>>151107465
in the school i went to, barely anyone cared about a club, nobody even knew who the student president was if there even was one, and we didn't get festivals. we had like maybe 2 prep rallies in a year and one teacher vs student basketball game. these things only took over the last period of the day.
>>
>>151112557
Oh well, it all makes sense then. Strange though that the borders in Europe are identical to ours though, they could've been a bit more creative.
>>
Because they didn't bother to do any research and just assumed the schools were the same everywhere.
>>
>>151112644
Akito rewrote the map of the world.

Russia in the original R2 was a free state of Europe, but in Akito it became a sub-empire of Britannia.
>>
>>151112961
I just hope they treat that shit as non-canon for R3
>>
>>151112961
No, even in R2 russia was invaded (or maybe joined) Britannia.
>>
>>151112961
>Akito rewrote the map of the world.
Not that much, to be honest.

>Russia in the original R2 was a free state of Europe, but in Akito it became a sub-empire of Britannia.
That's not exact. Russia was never a free state. It was part of the wider European state at one point, but Britannia had already conquered the country by R2.

Akito just showed that there was a sub-faction of Britannia in charge of that conquered territory. Nothing else.

In a few words, Code Geass never had Russia as a truly independent player during the events of the story.
>>
>>151112634
I hate when people fail to use a simple book.
Red Alert had the same problem, and it was way more idiotic there, since CG has 200 "empty" years to write in some justification..
>>
>>151115353
>200 "empty" years to write in some justification
What do you mean?
>>
>>151105494
The real question is What's C.C doing there ?
>>
Because their audience is Japanese. Don't overthink these things.
>>
File: 1414482490858.png (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1414482490858.png
2MB, 1920x1200px
Hey, check out this pic. Good stuff, am I right fellas?

Alright, have a good one.
>>
>>151115588
It'd look boring without the best girl being there
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.