[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

Metaphor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: download.jpg (136KB, 704x420px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
download.jpg
136KB, 704x420px
Correct me if I'm wrong but metaphor is hugely underutilised in anime (maybe less so in manga, but still not something I notice as much as I do in literature).
I watched Angel's Egg recently and it struck me how it was so different, and clearly it is from a different and unique era. The only other anime I recall seeing good use of metaphor in are Akira and Evangelion, but in those cases it's more of a device and not the main object of interest.
There have been times in Berserk where there was some idea of metaphor and allegory, but that was only in the early and middle chapters, not so much in the later stuff.

I just wish more anime or manga would have this, it would make things far more interesting.
>>
Not many series in any kind of media, Japanese or otherwise, use metaphors.
>>
>>151068192
Until a certain era they did, but yes not many use metaphor nowadays. It's kind of sad but that's how I think the best stories are told and you end up with a sense of fulfilment.
>>
>>151068095
It's a metaphor for pedophilla
>>
>>151068095
The Fate/Stay Night anime done by ufotable was fucking drowning in metaphors, it was great.
>>
>>151068095
Nice metaphor for Boredom
>>
>>151068095
>this character will destroy the relationship of others
>make sure you show them stepping on a flower as they walk toward the characters
Metaphors and allegories are just a lazy way to fake depth. They don't add anything except mild amusement from the pretentious.
>>
Metaphors are for making your ideas seem more complex and profound than they really are. 99% of the time you're better off without them.
>>
>>151068095
Why be subtle if you can just show it.

Nobody imposes censorship.
>>
>>151071056
>lazy
>mild amusement
wut
I get why you might think only the pretentious could appreciate metaphor, but just because some pretentious faggots might like Skycrawlers or (insert your favorite anime here), doesn't mean it's necessarily lazy or weak.
>>151071884
No, they're for allowing the viewer or reader to think out of the box and make their own path or choices about what they're watching or reading, that's more than making something seem more profound than it is, it's about giving people the freedom to do their own thinking and just let their mind wander for once instead of being completely spoonfed. I felt totally like I could do that when watching Angel's Egg, though at first it did irk me because I'm not used to it when watching anime, because it has become so dumbed down.
>>
>>151072141
>No, they're for allowing the viewer or reader to think out of the box and make their own path or choices about what they're watching or reading, that's more than making something seem more profound than it is, it's about giving people the freedom to do their own thinking and just let their mind wander for once instead of being completely spoonfed.

That's ambiguity, it has nothing to do with metaphors. Most metaphors have one obvious meaning. Also, ambiguity isn't inherently intelligent, and unambiguous stories aren't inherently dumbed down.
>>
>>151072759
>Most metaphors have one obvious meaning
Hardly.
>>
File: kaiman.jpg (125KB, 320x480px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
kaiman.jpg
125KB, 320x480px
>>151068095
Because millenials are literal minded, and most visual media are made with young people in mind.
To a millenial, a magic sword is not something that represents law or determination, it is simply a piece of metal made sharper and more durable by use of magic. Young people are simply trained (or "trained") to take symbols at face value and ignore the man behind the curtain.
Also the manga you are looking for is called Dorohedoro.
>>
>>151073038
And I thought this thread couldn't get any more pretentious, Jesus Christ.
>>
>>151068095
>hi I've never seen a Satoshi Kon movie
>>
File: wsr.jpg (83KB, 850x638px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
wsr.jpg
83KB, 850x638px
>>151073129
Glad to oblige.
>>
>>151068095
>Correct me if I'm wrong but metaphor is hugely underutilised in anime
You're wrong. Metaphor is used all the time in anime, both with visual metaphor and as part of the narrative. You probably just haven't watched much anime yet if your only other examples are Akira and Eva.
>>
I actually really like Angel's Egg. I find it really beautiful and interesting to watch, with wonderful direction.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.