[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do most anime fans care more about voice actors than animators,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 15

File: IwtKfvu.jpg (40KB, 635x476px) Image search: [Google]
IwtKfvu.jpg
40KB, 635x476px
Why do most anime fans care more about voice actors than animators, directors, character designers etc? What is wrong with you people?
>>
When im eating tikka masala im not thinking about some african boy who picked up the coconuts needed to make it, why would I?
>>
>>150865451
I thought this guy is CIA.
>>
chances are your favorite seiyuu are more likely to be in an anime that your favorite animators or etc. especially with companies shilling seiyuu hard or companies just picking any random studio/staff for adaptions
>>
>>150865451
Because you actually hear the voice actors. They are what makes the animated character iconic.
Plus the voice actors nowadays have to be good-looking enough and be sociable to interact with fans, plus sing songs and all that stuff.

Some of the voice actors are even idols.
>>
It's not voice actors they're obsessed with, it's voice actresses. They're manchildren who can only think about sex.
>>
>>150865451
>you people

We're not Japan, son. Voice actors are the equivalent of celebrities over there and considerend 2.5D.
>>
File: mpv-shot00092.png (2MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot00092.png
2MB, 1440x1080px
>>150865451
I care about the director the most though.

It's really the defining factor in what compels me to watch something.
>>
>>150865737
>Voice actors are the equivalent of celebrities over there and considerend 2.5D.
Incorrect. Don't talk about things you don't know about.
>>
>>150865717
Girls obsess over hawt voice actors, guys obsess over kyuute voice actresses.

And even then, some guys can find that voice actor kinda cool and funny, and some girls can think that that voice actress is totemo kawaii.
>>
>>150865451
That's literally no different than anywhere else. I bet you couldn't even name 5 animators in big name Western projects. Name a Western animation composer more well known than Kajiura. Fuck, at least the Japs care about someone working on the show.
>>
I would be willing to bet the majority of /a/ browsers would be able to name far more anime directors then voice actors.

Same could not be said for native otakus and /jp/ residents
>>
I only care about voice actors for JoJo
The studio is what's the most important for me
>>
>>150865451
Why do most movie fans care more about Actors than editors, directors, writers, etc?
>>
>>150865990
>I would be willing to bet the majority of /a/ browsers would be able to name far more anime directors then voice actors.
I wouldn't be that sure, actually.
The sakuga twitter dork circle might know about them, but I doubt that there's more sakuga twitter dorks on /a/ than SEA-scrubs who make (or made) the favorite seiyuu generals.
>>
File: 1481506066004.png (246KB, 589x610px) Image search: [Google]
1481506066004.png
246KB, 589x610px
>>150865499
>Eating Tika Masala
>Not eating the superior Madras or garlic. Chili buhna.
You call yourself an anime fan? You make me sick
>>
Because voice actors especially in Japan are easy to market.
Put em on talk shows
Give em a radio show
Put em in songs
Have them wear the latest fashion
They're idols basically, you can sell a show really hard on simply "THIS VA IS IN THE SHOW! THAT'S RIGHT! THE GUY YOU HEARD SINGING CAN-CAN ON LIVE TV IN FRONT OF THE TOKYO TOWER AND THE GUY WHO VOICED X-SAN IN "My daily life as an anime protagonist!?!?!?!?!?^*%*$(" WILL BE IN THIS ANIME! BUY THE BD'S!"

On the other hand directors and animators are a bunch of geeks who can't sing or dance or tell funny jokes on the radio or wear cool clothing so who cares about them?

It's a little gaudy personally. Not that any of these VA's are bad but I've never bought into the idea of "Sugita voices X, so let's have him voice Y and then we'll keep on referencing the fact that he voiced X"
>>
>>150865807
>I care about the director the most though.
Same. I discovered some of my favorite anime just by going through Oshii's filmography.
>>
>>150865451
I don't want to discredit the people you just mentioned, but a good VA can really bring a character to live.
For example Nozawa's performance as Black made this character way better than he should.
I don;t think that the rest isn't important either, but a good VA can really make a difference.
>>
>>150865451
Same reason the overwhelming majority of moviegoers care more about actors in than directors, editors, cinematographers, and so on. The latter are only recognizable to enthusiasts.
>>
File: patrish.png (147KB, 895x482px) Image search: [Google]
patrish.png
147KB, 895x482px
We getting there
>>
File: 1422042822795.gif (483KB, 243x270px) Image search: [Google]
1422042822795.gif
483KB, 243x270px
>>150865451
anyone else purposely avoiding images of voice actors and not looking up who voices which characters.

I feel like looking that up would tint the 2D Characters.
>>
>>150865451
Because my favorite animator hasn't done anything in 3 seasons, my favorite director has been doing non-anime stuff, and my favorite character designer may as well be dead.
>>
>>150866447
>make daring critiques on specific directors and studios on a constant basis
/a/ has already perfected this by going apeshit every time Miyazaki is mentioned.
>>
>>150866682
>uggghhhhh shaft and their waterbottless its unwatchableee
Truly.
>>
>>150866682
I hate this because I genuinely dislike Miyazaki's work and people will always assume i'm part of the shitposting bandwagon.
>>
>>150866874
But why though? The only problem I have with his work is that it can come off as proselytizing sometimes. Beyond that, I can't really find much fault in him.
>>
File: 1360836579120.jpg (500KB, 5000x4634px) Image search: [Google]
1360836579120.jpg
500KB, 5000x4634px
>>150865451
Anime is primarily consumed and funded by the most loathsome of manchildren mankind has ever known, so naturally they care about anything but the actual artistic elements of their little girl cartoons.
>>
>>150865451
they just want to listen to their waifu voice, it's harder to find someone with the same voice than find someone who can copy an animation style.
>>
An anime can look well-made, or it can look like barely animated stills, but if the character voiced sounds good, you will like that character and care for it. If the character sounds bad, you won't give a shit about it, and you will stop watching the anime.
>>
>>150867035
The pacing, directing, characters, art, etc way more often than not just don't work at all for me. I hate to be that guy but they feel really boring and like a whole load of nothing despite myself being aware of what he's going for with the characters and stories. I can appreciate how technically sound his work is but thats it. Personally, I find this worse than a bad movie/show that's entertaining and provides me with a few things that really stuck out.

tl;dr I have shit taste.
>>
>>150865451
There are plenty of bad shows with good voice actors, I don't know anybody in the West who watches shoes outlet because a voice actor is in it.
Directors have ways decided what's the hot thing to watch each season as far as I see
>>
>>150867991
That's perfectly understandable. However, the majority of the hate for Miyazaki I see on /a/ feels personal for whatever reason.
>>
>>150865451
Because otaku are scum of the earth, but we already know that.
>>
test
>>
>>150865451

I mean we all have our favorite directors, seiyuu, designers and assorted artists, but honestly this is a legit fair question I don't know the answer too really anymore.

All I can say is actual content itself and what a show actually accomplishes with it's allotted time entertainment wise just seems to have stopped mattering to this fanbase as much as what names are on the box when it ships out and what information can be used to provoke or trigger people. I mean nobody ever really talks about shows themselves much anymore and what goes on in them I've noticed (anime fans are pretty dumb and socially inept nowadays anyway so maybe they just don't know how to start interesting conversations), it's basically just devolved into shipping wars and people saying shit like "Oh this show has Kajiura/Sawano/Iwasaki doing the music so that's amazing 10/10" off of things like mere staff announcements. As in before they've even heard what it sounds like in show or how it fits with said show and things like that that used to kind of matter more...or you know apparently at all. Just slap keep slapping those 15 or so names on every show that comes out and you've done your job, that's how "anime" and it's fanbase comes across these days and about the best answer I can give
>>
>>150865699
They all generally sound the same and then there are maybe 10% of them that make an effort to have a distinctive, recognizable voice though.
>>
>>150865737

....not really

>>150865823

Imagine if more people actually did this

>>150865869

Danny Elfman?
>>
Leave it to /a/ to vomit out only the stupidest most tryhard memetic sounding answers as opposed to seriously considering a totally valid question.

>>150867991

No you're just being fucking honest unlike a lot of the shits in this community. I mean I feel the same way lately, not going to feel bad about it or like I'm somehow at fault for something though just because a community increasingly full of braindead shitposters who don't actually care about anything might take an issue which guess what they will regardless of what you say or how you say it if that's their end goal.
>>
Actorfaggotry is normal with entertainment.
Gossiping about the animators, directors, character designers etc is actually more off-putting when it's going mainstream and people who don't shit about fuck would be required to know something else than that the person is hot.
>>
>>150868105

Cause that stuff is typically actually aimed at people with a monocrum of intelligence, personal standards and discerning taste which anime fandom clearly lacks all but entirely, particularly in recent years. The producers, writers and staff know they can't just slap a name on some thing and have it be an instant hit let alone not get cancelled the way Western animation is required to actually have ratings that register on the Nielsen scale. Late night anime doesn't need shit however nor is the bar for success to clear all that high. Just waifus/husbandos and the most popular seiyuu to voice them season after season, an audience to buy some merchandise and couple thousand people to buy it's monstrously overpriced if benefits laden physical media packages.
>>
File: vivid.gif (3MB, 320x360px) Image search: [Google]
vivid.gif
3MB, 320x360px
I honestly barely keep track of VAs besides the most high profile ones or the ones with the most recognisable voices, and that's just through ambient exposure. Honestly I can barely tell most male voice actors apart.

Animation production is much more interesting, and more rewarding to seek out information on..
>>
>>150869894
>used honestly twice in the same line
Whoops, that's honestly bad form.
>>
>>150869876
>people with a monocrum of intelligence
Modicum, anon.
>>
File: 1410556379161.png (2MB, 988x1463px) Image search: [Google]
1410556379161.png
2MB, 988x1463px
>>150865578
Me too
>>
I think the reason is because voice actors are more easily noticed than the same animator style, and credits are often not translated for anime which means most won't look up staff for their anime - just character info, where you'll see voice actors plastered prominently
>>
>>150865451
Do you really need to ask that? Most people only engage with anime casually, and acting is a lot more "up front" than behind-the-scenes work. If they're gonna learn names, chances are it'll be actors first. It's the same with every type of film. There's really nothing wrong with that, either.
>>
>>150865451
Because directorfags are almost as cancerous as studiofags, and something makes them think all their shows are going to be exactly the same.
>>
>>150872256
That's a silly thing you just said
>>
>>150865699
Well, you actually watch the anime. Please visual language is something everybody understands to a degree, unlike japanese.
>>
>>150865807
Same here. Basically to me it goes like this:
Director > Studio > Character Designers > Animators > Screenwriters > Composers
None of the other creative cast will make me want to watch an anime. I don't care about any other ones.
>>
File: chirico scream.jpg (42KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
chirico scream.jpg
42KB, 720x480px
>watch 3-gatsu no Lion, get Takahiro Sakurai
>watch Bungou Stray Dogs, get Takahiro Sakurai
>watch Days, get Takahiro Sakurai
>watch Fune wo Amu, get Takahiro Sakurai
>watch Haikyuu, get Takahiro Sakurai
>watch Hibike Yuriphonium, get Takahiro Sakurai
>watch JoJo's, get Takahiro Sakurai
>watch IBO, get Takahiro Sakurai
>need a break from current shows, watch Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru instead
>get Takahiro Sakurai
>>
>>150872370
What he said is 100% true though
>>
>>150865451
Beats me, but I tend to pick up shows based on the director and animators working on it.
>>
>>150872370
People who know directors usually have something to actually say about anime from my experience. Seiyuufags are the worst sort of fans who just follow the most memed shows and don't even have actual opinions.
>>
>>150874274
Writer > Storyboarder > Animation Director > Art director > Character animator > Editor > Sound director > Voice Actor > Character designer > Effects animator > Action animator > Mecha designer > Mecha animator
>>
>>150875077
>effects animator ahead of action animator
Why? Also, those two things typically go hand-in-hand so an animator who's good at action tends to do effects quite well too.
>>
>>150874694
No, it's extremely juvenile.

>>150875069
It's not really about knowing directors or knowing seiyuu or whatever, it's about how deeply they engage with it beyond a mere pastime. Of course learning names of people involved is a part of that engagement, though.
>>
>>150865451
Really? Why was Trigger so hyped then?
>>
>>150867991
See anon, what you've got here is a reasonable opinion that you can justify and explain your point of view from.

This is different from being a squealing manchild who is trying to act special because they don't like thing and can't handle any opinions besides their own.
>>
>>150874659
If I have to listen to Akira Ishida's voice one more fucking time I think I'm going to punch something.

I am so tired of hearing the same four voice actors in nearly every single show I watch. And they always do the same performance every time too.
>>
>>150865451
I'm not sure they do.

VA are semi-idols, they make web-radio shows, drama CD, appear in loads of events including concerts, and in magazines. The good-looking ones do photoshoots, sometimes even gravure. They're basically living advertising for the shows they act in, so it's only normal for them to be very well-known.

The rest of the staff is not sexy enough or too busy to do this kind of things, so they have much less public exposure. But anime fans still care about them.
>>
File: 1475788698574.jpg (30KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1475788698574.jpg
30KB, 300x300px
>>150875077
>mecha at the bottom

Good thing that's just your opinion and not from somebody of importance in the anime industry.
>>
>>150874659
I legitimately do not understand the obsession with this guy. He only has two voices, one of which is the only voice you'll hear him use in the majority of anime he's in. This fucker is absolutely everywhere.
>>
File: Active Raid Drew.webm (3MB, 710x400px) Image search: [Google]
Active Raid Drew.webm
3MB, 710x400px
>>150875077
> Mecha designer > Mecha animator
Get a load of this shit taste.
>>
>>150875348
Trigger is just one of the few people know of. People don't generally care for other, less unknown production teams.
>>
>>150876131
the real serious fans (like some guys on this board) go beyond director, writer, etc. They can identify the lead animators just off of style
>>
>>150868605
>>150869728
The majority hate Miyazaki because he's a pretentious faggot who says things like "the younger generation doesn't have imagination anymore" while he describes how he imagines a girl jumping across the rooftops as if he just invented parkour or something.

Nobody with good taste here legitimately hates Spirited Away other than for the fact that normalfags like it. Its environmentalist motive is far more agreeable than muh Glorious Nippon in Wind Rises or muh indians in Princess Mononoke. Even then, I don't think anyone here thinks those films are outright bad either.

Just because people want to vent because they hate how the West thinks Miyazaki is the only anime director doesn't mean they're braindead. Lots of people can share the same feeling.
>>
>>150876547
>Just because people want to vent because they hate how the West thinks Miyazaki is the only anime director doesn't mean they're braindead.
Most people are extremely childish in the way they express it though. But that's /a/ for you.
>>
Same reason why people prefer actors over movie staff, because they have to present their personality as part of their job. Directors' personalities rarely factor into the equation, unless it ties into the series like it did with Eva and Gundam.
>>
>>150866456
I do the same, but not for any specific reason. It's like watching a good movie and half way through recognizing an actor. The movie was good anyway and that actor doesn't contribute and more or less than they did in the first half, it's just something to note in your head and keep watching.

Also it's a lot easier to recognize male VAs than female ones, but it makes it that much better when it finally sinks in. Why couldn't Calamity Mary give me at least one "ara ara"?
>>
>>150876547
>Glorious Nippon in Wind Rises
That wasn't the message behind The Wind Rises at all. It was more about following your dreams, if anything.
>>
>>150877525
My take from the movie has always been "perseverance." Il faut tenter de vivre.
>>
>>150865451
If I don't care about voices, I would have read manga instead.
>>
>>150876547
I don't think pretentious is the right word. He's definitely an old curmudgeon, and his idealism can come off as melodramatic. However, he's pretty matter of fact when it comes down to it. The first question of this interview has him admitting that he ultimately isn't in a position to complain about the youth, since his elders did the exact same thing to his generation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZWmOYq3fX4
>>
>>150874659
Someone needs to kill Sakurai asap.
>>
>>150866463
>my favorite director has been doing non-anime stuff
Being Anno fan is suffering.
>>
>>150878949
But being an Oshii fan is worse.
>>
>>150878949
>>150879615
Well maybe you should move on and follow upcoming talent
>>
>>150865451
When it comes to action stuff the voice acting can easily make or break the show. those cheesy one liners need to really zing
>>
File: Yamakan_1337696381332.jpg (21KB, 374x454px) Image search: [Google]
Yamakan_1337696381332.jpg
21KB, 374x454px
>>150880157
It feels like new "auteurs" aren't very recognizable. The only ones I can name off the top off my head are Imaishi and pic related.
>>
>>150881478
There are lots, actually. No one as good as Anno or Oshii, mind you, but if you pay enough attention to these things you should be able to name a bunch.
>>
>>150881478
>Shinkai
>Urobuchi
>Okada kind of
>Hosoda
Takahata is still making films.
How is Yamakan recognizable outside of meme status?
>>
>>150882573
Takahata is retired and Urobuchi and Okada aren't directors.
>>
>>150882573
>urobuchi
>okada
>directors
>>
>>150882646
>>150882779
He said auteur, not director. People often refer to those works as an Urobuchi series, or an Okada series.
>>
>>150866180
saag paneer is best. oh, and naan without garlic
>>
>>150882966
If you follow the reply chain up like two more posts you'll see they were in fact discussing directors
>>
>>150883015
If you go up a bit more you'll see they were talking about animators and character designers as well.
>>
>>150883091
Too far up
>>
File: 457623645.jpg (36KB, 550x309px) Image search: [Google]
457623645.jpg
36KB, 550x309px
>>150865451
post some cute designer girls. i want to see some
>>
https://www.animefeminist.com/women-in-sakuga-programme/
>>
>>150865451
Dude, no matter how good the animation is if the characters don't fit their voice then it won't sell.
>>
>>150876359
Yeah but that's a very small crowd, you have to remember that.
>>
>>150884509
Get out
>>
>>150884509
How pointless.
>>
>>150865823
It's correct you idiot.
>>
>>150874659
Sakurai in Soredemo Machi should have been a very novel and refreshing experience and I'm sorry his omnipresence ruined that for you.
>>
>>150865451
>Why do most anime fans care more about voice actors than animators, directors, character designers etc?

Only japanese audience care about seiyus, western audience care more about staff because we canĀ“t understand Japanese language; and dont forget most Seiyus have unrealistic high pitched voices.
>>
>>150876359
You mean they think they can.
>>
File: tokyo swimsuit interview.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tokyo swimsuit interview.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
Basically anyone who isn't deaf or dumb EOPs can recognize a voice because doing that is a natural human skill which is mandatory for oral communication.
Recognizing animators, directors, character designers or even studios without pre-existing knowledge is a million times harder outside really unique styles like Shinbo or Yuasa, especially in adaptations where source material is responsible for the majority of stylistic decisions. Without looking up afterwards who did what, it's almost impossible to make connections between different series from same creators.

From personal experience, I watched Sunred, Seto no Hanayome, Kamisama Dolls, JinTai, and Dangan Ronpa, liked them all for different reasons, but didn't found out that they were all directed by Kishi Seiji before he was announced as a guest on Sugita's Anigera and did research on him. Meanwhile, I always recognised Murase Katsuki's voice on his various roles (all despite him being a really non-profilic seiyuu) because his voice is so unique.

>>150885923
Can you show even a single instance where people complained about unrealistic voices in western cartoons?
WHY THE FUCK THIS CHARACTER KEEPS SAYING D'oh! , NOBODY DOES LIKE THAT IN REAL LIFE!!1!
SPEAKING THROUGH A HOOD SOUNDS NOTHING LIKE THAT, SO UNREALISTIC!"!!3!
>>
>>150870973
He wasn't alone.
>>
>>150865451
>anime fans care more about voice actors than animators, directors, character designers etc
how the fuck would they know when the ending credits ain't translated too?
>>
>>150879615
Well, I'm both so it's always rewatchday on my street.
>>
>>150866456
I can't stand the shitters who keep making va threads with pictures of real people because of this.
>>
>>150865451
what the fucks wrong with his body?

Is he disabled?

Why are you posting 3dpd and not getting banned for it?
>>
>>150865451
I guess waifu appeal
>>
>>150890670
He's an animator/director you dunce.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.