[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nausicaä manga

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: SeaofCorruption.jpg (193KB, 761x473px) Image search: [Google]
SeaofCorruption.jpg
193KB, 761x473px
So apparently I had nothing better to do with my time today then reading the entierty of the Nausicaä manga.
I liked it very much and will hold it dear, but I'm kinda left with a bitter taste in my mouth. I think it became just too much. All the telepathy, intelligent fungi and nihilism talk just made it seems that the story lost tough with itself. Or maybe just with me.
Anyway I came here to ask you if anyone felt the same and if not maybe enlighten me why i'm compleatly wrong and a faggot.
>>
I don't think it was too much overall. Some parts i didn't like either (the nihilism and the ghost and the dream sequences with the jungle blonde kid).

But the military shit was amazing. The chocobo charges, the castle siege, the golas, the emperor's brother were all cool. And Kurotowa and Kushana were far better than their anime counterparts.

It does get too preachy at tims toh
>>
>>150542928
Of course that's out of question.
It was also nice to see how that imperial elite soldiers got portrait.
>>
>>150542928
The battle scenes were really good. But then again, a lot of the scenes I ended up liking (the escape from the fungus on the air ship, the fortress battle, when Nausicaa and the boy get trapped in the sea of corruption for the first time, etc.) came from the manga's first half I realized.

I kind of agree with OP a bit. While from a sheer artistic and illustrative standpoint, the Nausicaa manga is one of my favorites, in terms of story, i feel it got lost in it's own themes and (or more the exploration of those themes, as many of the "messages" of the story seem to get forgotten as a new "message" comes around to take up page time). Many of the concepts are cool, and you can tell Miyazaki loved showing us and exploring every inch of the setting, but i was burnt out by the time we got to like the second or third natural climax, only for the story to continue on for another 200 pages.

The final climax serves really well... for the 200 pages that came before it, but not for the 5 1/2 books which came before that. Not every story or place or character in the setting really work together to make a grand narrative, so much as they work in creating 3 or 4 medium sized narratives that are strung together by their connection to our main protagonist.
>>
>>150542758
I'll take a crack at this since it's my all-time favorite manga.

The story has always been about the survival of life, not just human perpetuity. When you get right down to it, the core message of "the planet will keep on spinning no matter what humans do to themselves or others" is, while disconcerting, hard to argue against. In the context of the human spirit, Nausicaa is not about surviving, but about living.

The series does get preachy at times, but I think that's its singular sin when you compare it to its excellent supporting characters (Nausicaa toes the line of being a Mary Sue extremely hard, but it's difficult to assert that she truly is one given that she willfully commits genocide and calls herself out on it too), immaculate and well-built world, and of course, its stunningly gorgeous art (I don't think I've seen a single mangaka who can match Miyazaki in how he does his lighting or his aircraft design).

Maybe the central themes and the expositing on them can be a bit much, but I think that's getting bogged down in one facet when there are so many fantastic little things to get yourself caught up in.

Like how entertaining Namulith is.
Or how much of a badass Yupa is.
Or how great Kushana and Kurotowa's interactions are (Kurotowa's big scene in the Daikaisho is one of my favorites)
Or how fucking cool the god warriors are.
Or how imposing and eerie the Master of the Crypt manages to be in spite of just being a fucking face.
Not to mention how you can find something on just about literally any page that will make you marvel at how much of a god Miyazaki is with a pen.

idk, I definitely get where you're coming from. I tend to gloss over a bit of Nausicaa's monologues whenever I reread the stories, but that's only because I want to hurry up and get back to literally everything else.

Miyazaki if you're reading this I will mail you one of my kidneys if you'll make an animated series.
>>
I'm bored and still depressed. Who wants voume 2 dumped?
>>
He needs to forget anime and do more manga. Manga was a lot better than movie due to so much more in manga
>>
The manga is incredibly dense so reading it all in one day may result in feeling burnt-out.
I really like the last volumes myself, there's many great moments like Yupa's death, the part in the garden where you get to see Nausicaä get a small moment of weakness remembering her mother, all the crazy shit in the weird ancient monument.
>>
>>150544001
Hm maybe you're right and I should just read it again sometimes but at a slower pace.
Still, the whole telepathic things seemed a bit over the top and the eyemperor looked a bit too "anime" for this kind of setting. Otherwise it was great
>>
>>150542758
the plot started losing its way when the war got interrupted by the giant mold that ate everything.

so around volume 4.

would have been better if it had continued the way it was going in the first 3 volumes.

But even though the plot loses its way at that point , it is still quite good (although you can tell not as good as it could have been).

It isn't until the last volume that teh ending is unconvincing bollucks.

nausicaa literally dooms her village and all human life by destroying the tomb.

she literally slapped away and destroyed their only hope of saving human life out of some irrational chauvinistic hatred of the past.

"hurr ugah bugah, past build weapons therefore all things from past bad. me destroy things from past, who cares if me die?"

it is genuinely every bit as retarded as that.

especially since the things she has teh most affinity and appreciation for in the world, the bugs, were artificially created by the past's genetic engineering technology in order to cleanse the earth of toxins.

basically what will happen at teh end of nausicaa is that her town and all human towns will die of hardening disease as the forest spreads over more and more of the earth's surface.

All humans will die out except those who manage to join the people of the forest, except they too will die out because they've become so acclimatised to the forest that they can no longer breath genuinely clean air. And once the forest has finished its spread across the globe it will die out, as it was genetically engineered to, leaving behind only clean air that no human being currently alive can surive, except the people of the tomb who have been frozen and current humans who have been altered by the tomb's technology, which nausica destroyed.

p.s. , also, it says that kushana's soul has been "cleansed by spilling blood"
What the fuck?
"hurr you killed every man, woman and child in pejite, thousands of people , but ur a good person and you're pure like a dove"
>>
>>150544510
There is a world more nuance to her choice than that. She didn't do it out of spite for the past at all, it was extremely simply: things continue as they are now, almost everyone dies, things never get better, OR people learn to coexist with the forest and eventually it will go away.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.