[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Turn A Gundam the closest mecha has to offer as an art? The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: turn a turn.jpg (412KB, 850x594px) Image search: [Google]
turn a turn.jpg
412KB, 850x594px
Is Turn A Gundam the closest mecha has to offer as an art? The avant garde styling of both the characters and Syd Mead's Mobile Suits seems to be something that the mechanical designers and character designers of today seem to avoid entirely.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a case of it being something of a pinnacle in both Japanese art and Japanese story telling. The themes of post-humanism as well as strength through vanity seem so common and reoccurrent that I can't help but see it as a, not only a classic piece of mecha history, but as a piece of art to the world.

Why is it that NOTHING has come close to matching the quality of Turn A's art and story telling? Is the mediocrity of today's Japanese artist because of their blatant lack of skill, or is Tomino just among the greatest storytellers of the world?
>>
>>150375501
>mecha
>good
>>
File: 1479545088766.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1479545088766.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>150375566
>>
>>150375501
>the closest mecha has to offer as an art
End of Evangelion.
>>
File: 231859.jpg (2MB, 4000x2529px) Image search: [Google]
231859.jpg
2MB, 4000x2529px
>>150375501
itt: busta ass niggas that haven't watched Five Star Stories
>>
>you will never see Gothicmade
>>
>>150375761
FSS isn't art, it's just fashion
>>
>>>/m/
>>
File: Ulicle.jpg (241KB, 750x965px) Image search: [Google]
Ulicle.jpg
241KB, 750x965px
>>150376668
It's both.
>>
>>150375501
Because the japs are simple minded and have shittaste. That's why Turn A flopped, too.
>>
G-Reco is the thinking man's Turn A.
>>
Loran is hot.
>>
>>150375748
slapping trippy images with no meaning onto something doesn't make it "art"
>>
>>150375679
>origin
>good
>>
>>150375501
King Gainer is good too.
>>
>>150375501
It's prettty high up there, though it doesn't beat most Gainax mecha art.
>>
>>150375501
This reads like bait but whatever, Turn A is one of my favourite anime and the machine itself is a sexy beast.
>>
>>150379675
>no meaning
>he didn't watch EoE
Even if you cut out everything from Instrumentality onwards out of EoE you still have one of the strongest stories in anime in your hands - and you have to be a real retard not to understand Instrumentality, especially as a (presumably) white guy raised in a christian-dominated society.
>>
>>150380786
Wow, vaginas signify birth and rebirth and all the womb imagery! So DEEP and uncommon!

You Eva babies couldn't handle five seconds of the Utena movie, nevermind Belladonna of Sadness.
>>
>>150380656
>Gurren Lagann babbies in charge of taste
>>
>>150375501
A shame the second half wasn't nearly as interesting as the first. I do love the designs a lot though.
>>
>>150380900
damn...
>>
>>150375501
Turn A is objectively one of the best anime out there. Has exponential world building with fleshed out characters that actually handle new situations like you think people would. One of my favorite examples of this is when the milita goes into space. They have to have their hands held the whole time and actually adapt to the environment, it just seemed realistic.
G Reco was okay, but it doesn't hold a candle to Turn A. IBO is Seed meme teir garage.
Most shows that come out today aren't nearly as original as years past, but there's some good. Sign of the times when we have more DBZ Sailor Moon Geass CCS extensions because the industry is running out of ideas/channeling the market flow to normies.
>>
>>150380786
I know plenty of real retards, then.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.