[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do y'all think about Flip Flapper? Any pros or cons?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 21

File: 82292l.jpg (176KB, 419x600px) Image search: [Google]
82292l.jpg
176KB, 419x600px
What do y'all think about Flip Flapper? Any pros or cons?
>>
File: 1478789845240.jpg (18KB, 370x344px) Image search: [Google]
1478789845240.jpg
18KB, 370x344px
>pros
Quality animation, backgrounds and sound throughout the series, great variety of episodes, great direction. Cute girls developing lesbian relationshsips naturally, doesn't feel like pandering. Story has potential, could go in all different directions. Speculation if you are into this. Dialog that doesn't treat you like a retard, a lot of visual storytelling.

>cons
Some episodes rely on references, might look like an episodic show with story going nowhere. A lot of plot questions from the beginning still unanswered.
Trying to think about more negative stuff, but that's all.
>>
Style over substance, not impressed. Director is a newbie, and even then he's an untalented hack. Animation is a shitty webgen eye cancer. Excessive fanservice (they're middle school girls, you degenerates). Flat characters without any development at all. Plagiarism everywhere. Yurishit.

Subhuman niggers with double-digit IQs hyping it (because they feel 'smart' watching it), but it's not even top 3 (if only for the fluid animation), especially after the writer supposedly changed. Literally Phantom World 2.0.
>>
>>150296566

>>>/pol/

>>150296420

An episodic format isn't nececssarily a bad thing, but I feel like there are too many unanswered questions that have to be covered in the remaining five episodes (the nature of Flip Flapper and the organization Yayaka works for, what exactly the artifacts do, who/what Papika is, why she roped Cocona into her adventures, everything).
>>
>>150296566
>plot sucks after writer change
>ep8 sakkan is web gen
>muh explosion
>muh yuniko story concept/series composition/script/origin work
>is this really necessary
>amazon stalker
>visual storytelling worse than citizen kane
>not even top 3
>yuribait
>>
>>150296566
>Flat characters
But that's the best part.
>>
>>150296644
This is why I said that that it might seem like the story isn't going anywhere. The show spends a lot of time wih developing Coconas and Papikas relationship, which is good and works, while them trying to collect the shards doesn't really change the course of the story. Mimi is probably one of the driving forces of the story, and there are still only hints and speculation about her, and we are at episode 8.

The ending could be really rushed or bloated with exposition if they want to explain all these things.
>>
>>150296703
>cockona
>>
Pretty good as long as it doesn't fuck up the ending.
>>
>>150296644
Five episodes is a lot of time to take care of unanswered questions. That's like almost half of the show still to go.
>>
I only have one word for this.
>yurishit
>>
>>150296566
>pedo degenerates XD
Why are crossboarders so transparent
>>
>>150296082
Speak English nigger.
>>
Flip flap flop
>>
>>150297041
>yurishit
Where? I think you need to take off your goggles.
>>
>>150296644
They weren't unanswered, you just weren't paying attention.
>>
>>150297123
I consider anything with an all girls cast to be yurishit.
>>
>>150297161
>the landwhale arrives
>>
>>150296082
Despite all its flaws, this original show from a new studio and new directory is definitely a precious one that shows their potentials among all the generic mainstream cliche-charged adaptation-driven shitshows these days.

I get the indie feels from it and you should also definitely support them.
>>
>>150297279
But isn't it the same for yurifags to think like that?
>>
>>150297319
>I get the indie feels from it
What the fuck does that even mean?
>>
File: 1476966478424.webm (429KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1476966478424.webm
429KB, 1024x576px
>>150297161
>he sees guys as girls
That's some impressive del/u/sion you got there.
>>
>>150297421
It means shitty webgen influences.
>>
>>150297435
I assume that's not part of the main cast or he's the antagonist. Then it doesn't count
>>
>>150297466
I don't understand the point of the webgen call. We've literally be in it for a decade.
>>
>>150297547
He's the main duo's boss. They also have a male scientist as part of mission control and one of their three rivals is a boy. There are some male characters.
>>
>>150296862
We've still got an entire movie's worth of screentime to go, I don't understand why people keep saying that it's almost over and there's no time for muh precious plot.
>>
>>150297547
>I assume whatever things fit my theory.
>>
>>150297631
Most shows have their plot start about ep3 now due to 13 ep limit
>>
File: 1479995372040.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1479995372040.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>150297547
Their robot companion has a male brain.
>>
>>150297631
It's because literal retards lack the brain power to decouple actual runtime from the time they have to wait between episodes. That's why muh pacing is such a common complaint for seasonal shows.
>>
>>150297547
If it's not main characters having graphic on-screen anal sex with balls touching, then it doesn't count.
>>
>>150297596
>>150297648
>>150297677
You win this round. But I'll be back.
>>
Yurishit garbage
I'm glad its flopping
>>
>>150297631
But Anon, you can't tell a story in under 54 episodes, /m/ tells me so.
>>
>>150297631
Usually it's justified to think so, because original anime in the past tend to have shitty rushed conclusion. FliFla however seems more promising, because the storyboards and the screenplay has already finished since a long time ago. Of course, anything can still happen though.
>>
>>150296566
What's wrong with webgen?? Unless having a word to blame a new tendency.
>>
>>150297777
>50+ episodes to tell a story
Don't remind me on how slow VOTOMS was. It didn't end up being bad, but it could have been told in 26 episodes with more intelligent pacing and removal of most of the fluff. God.
>>
>>150297677
>assuming that robot's gender
fuck off
>>
>>150297800
Flip Flappers also doesn't seem to even strive for an intricate, complicated plot. All they're doing is not explaining all the universe details, which isn't something that needs a lot of time to, if it's even necessary.
>>
>>150297975
yes, being a transrobot myself, i too was triggered by this assertion
>>
>>150298200
It's this bizarre notion that Flip Flappers needs to have some bigmclargehuge scifi plot to actually become "deep".

The plot has been there all along, and it's about Cocona growing up and becoming friends with Papika, with some vague notions about change and creativity on the side. All the fragment shit is just window dressing, and suddenly throwing in twists and drama about the nature of the universe does nothing to make it more "deep".

It's the people who think that Eva is TEH DEEPEST because it has bible quotes in it all over again.
>>
>>150296082
Con: yurishit
About all you need to realize to know it's complete shit.
>>
>>150298433
What is depth in the first place? Multiple layers of interpretation or perspective? Why do people employ a spatial metaphor anyway?
>>
>>150297041
>>150297730
>>150298526
>>
>>150298526
What if I like yurishit? I don't see how that alone is a pro or con.
>>
>>150298433
There's been a lot of set-up already and not much yet. We're still on episodic adventures. For a 24 episode series I'd say this is pretty good pacing, for 13 episodes I'm a bit worried. Of course I have no idea what direction the show will go, so there's no point in complaining about it now, but I can see how people can think what they're thinking. Either everything from now on is focused on the "plot" and we miss out on the episodic fun, or they save it all for the very end and it gets very rushed. Of course there's also the third option where everything is just right and the show ends great, but who knows what will happen.

Honestly, with the story structure as it is, I'd say Flip Flappers would work perfectly as a 24 episode series.
>>
>>150298585
Outside of baiting retards on /a/, "depth" just means that there is anything more to a story than the surface level. It's not even a quality assessment.

Look at something like Flip Flappers episode 2. On the surface level, it's just Cocona and Papika going to a wacky colorful world, having a few action scenes and escaping again.
On a slightly deeper level, you think about it for a second and realize that the world is themed after Cocona's pet rabbit and the lawnmower. Since this isn't outright stated, it's not completely surface level, but its also still pretty obvious.
And then you can go full litfag and say that it's a metaphor for Cocona having her first period, since rabbits are fertility symbols and so on. The episode is vague enough to support this theory as well. Hey, why not.

The show allowing these kinds of interpretations is what makes it "deep". The entire show is full of puberty metaphors and so on. It invites interpretation and thinking about it, and that's what some people like.

Of course, none of this makes it good, you could just as easily say that it's just a bunch of nonsense intended to bait people into thinking that it's more profound than it really is. And yes, it's very vague overall. I just think that if people think it's fun to speculate and interpret, there's no harm in that.

Compare this to a show like 3-gatsu, which is also full of visual metaphors, but is COMPLETELY in the nose about what it means. You can be pretty sure that "sadness is like a deep ocean" is a completely intended reading, but does that make it more or less deep? It certainly doesn't reward thinking as much, even though you can be sure it's not just rusing you.

Or look at something like Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku, which completely lacks any depth at all. It's literally just a series of surface level plot points: x kills y, plot twists, etc. And it's still good anyway. Not all shows have to be the same.
>>
My main concern with FliFla isn't that it won't have enough time to wrap things up or that it's not deep enough, but that it might give us a completely expected ending or end up ripping off Eva. They have the resources to tell whatever story they want, but what the writers are aiming for is still hard to tell even at this point.
>>
>>150298917
>And it's still good anyway
Debatable, because it doesn’t only lack depth, it also lacks subtlety. Fucking Maeda Jun writes more subtle plot progression, and that makes the all too obvious viewer manipulation fall completely flat. At least for me.

But there are also people who enjoyed painfully obvious shows like Plastic Memories which is basically the same except with tears instead of sadism, so who am I to judge.
>>
>>150298526
Samefags have really gotten shit
>>
Hard to say, personally, because the ending is going to make it or break it. Sure, the show is more than passable in terms of animation and whimsy (and fanservice I guess), but there's this undercurrent of something bigger going on, and if that gets resolved poorly then it's just another wacky and random dime-a-dozen show.
>>
>>150299059
Well yeah, "good" is always subjective. I find it entertaining, the same way something like Game of Thrones is entertaining. The utter lack of depth and subtlety is what makes "dumb fun" still "fun" to some people.

I mean, I could have used Izetta as an example as well, but that show's just no good even on that level.
>>
File: juggling tanks 1476994975838.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
juggling tanks 1476994975838.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>150299213
>I mean, I could have used Izetta as an example as well, but that show's just no good even on that level.
>>
>>150299308
Those are CGI, right? I don't like how they look for some reason. I'd say unorganic, but they're tanks.
>>
>>150299213
Izetta almost has the opposite problem though. It is subtle, or rather it would be subtle if the idea of subtlety applied to it at all. It doesn’t because Yoshino pulls random twists out of his arse to connect his major events, so for the most part trying to figure out what the show will do next is a futile endeavor. Yoshino does understand foreshadowing (e.g. showing the nazi magic research early on) but often throws it into the wind because he cares more about the pacing of said major events than about making any sense at all. (“I want her to face the original white witch, how do I get there in a way that makes sense? Ah fuck it, nazi clones it is”)

He shouldn’t be writing things that aren’t Geass unless he has a second writer who can veto his bullshit.
>>
>>150296082
Pros
>girls are hot
Cons
>shameless yuri pandering
>shameless pedo pandering (I know I'm being a hypocrite here, but whatever)
>overall boring
>>
>>150299308
Funny you say that, because if Izetta managed to do scenes like that consistently, I'd probably like it. The problem is that it only had like two scenes of this caliber so far, which is not enough. And the rest of it is plotty bullshit that doesn't even check out logically (unlike MSIK), combined with an unearned sense of maturity because muh historical events (even though that just means you have CG Panzer IIIs and Bf-109s in your mentally challenged magical girl show)
>>
>imaginative settings
>consistently good production
>cure characters
>studio pablo
>good ed
>papika!

vs.

>poor direction
>characters have no chemistry
>moves too quickly
>weak attempts at sentimentality
>playing too hard at anime clichés
>feels purposeless

Not great, but still the best show since 2014.
>>
Stop spamming your shitty Generals
>>
>>150299349
All of the action scenes featuring Izetta use 3DCGI for the vehicles and her weapons. Which makes for really boring action, one of the show's many flaws.
>>
>>150298917 #
I don't think it's right to call gatsu on the nose just because you can figure out the intention of the visuals. Sure, you know that the reading is probably about the nature of despression or how the sisters throw him a lifeline or whatever, but there's definitely subtly when it comes to their actual execution. You're rewarded for thinking in that you figure out how the visual cues tie into a premise you're already mostly aware of. Flip flappers is different because you're given visuals for which the intention isn't clear, but that alone doesn't make it subtle.
>>
>>150299696
>>150299787
>Flip flappers is different because you're given visuals for which the intention isn't clear, but that alone doesn't make it deep.
Yes it does, that makes it deepeer than more obvious visuals because those are more on the surface level while these are, well, deeper. And more subtle.

I agree that 3gatsu does have some depth though, they could very well be spelling it out every episode. No matter how obvious the visuals are, they are still a layer below surface level narration. That is depth in the very literal sense of the word.
>>
>>150299648
>moves too quickly
Thank you. I find it bizarre as fuck how people say it's slow when half the time you're watching an episode and it feels like you've somehow missed a week.
>>
>>150299696
Sure, but there's a difference between the single metaphor and the show itself. I find it completely appropriate to call 3gatsu's water metaphor on the nose, even though the show as a whole isn't... as much. The storytelling is subtle, but the metaphor it uses for it is not.
>>
>>150298917
>metaphors = depth
>>
>>150299826
The only time I felt this was watching the third episode. But by the end of it it's made pretty clear how it connects to the previous week since they come out of the thomasson.

I'm certain that if this show didn't move at this kind of pace, it wouldn't have been able to feature different worlds in 7 out of 8 episodes so far.
>>
>>150299872
Metaphors are by definition using something other than the surface level to say something, so yes, that formula is entirely correct.

It's the inverse that doesn't check out, depth doesn't have to mean just metaphors. But I never said that.
>>
>>150299813
Sorry for fucking around with post deletion. I think I get what you mean a bit bitter now. I was gonna say that it's possible for a show like FF to create shallow depth (heh) by throwing around visuals which the artist themself had no intention of tying to anything but that's probably what you were addressing with the ruse talk.
>>
>>150299826
Yeah. Feels like they're trying to cram more ideas / bigger stories than there ought to be in to the confines of a single episode. You can feel where things are cut or abbreviated. I think more episodes, a more lingering pace and a less strict adherence to the one episode = one pure illusion rule would do wonders.
>>
>>150300000
You must realize this is how anime is now. There's no room for anything longer than 13 ep series anymore if it isn't a big franchise or doesn't have some gimmick like a Gackt tie in
>>
>>150299952
Well that's the issue though isn't it. For (some) people the more hidden a meaning is, the more rewarding it is to discover it. But if it's perfectly clear what something means, or if the creator goes out of their way to confirm a theory, it's hardly "hidden".

Like for example, look at Blade Runner. For decades there was the debate whether Deckard is a replicant, and many words were spent on interpreting it either way. Then the various Director's Cuts came out and pretty much confirmed that he is, and instead of the "he is" crowd throwing a party, everyone mostly just went "oh... but that's not very interesting, is it".
>>
>>150296566
What's with this hate for the webgen style? I think its minimalism is quite interesting.
>>
>>150300080
Of course, but as a fan I'm entitled to complain about things.
>>
>>150300000
Waste of get.
>>
>>150300187
You're not entitled to anything.
>>
>>150300159
a) "I don't like things that are different/muh 90s anime"
b) preference of slick gloss and detail of expressive movement (or wanting both, not realizing that very few shows can afford that)
c) buzzwordism
>>
>>150300211
I'll keep complaining regardless.
>>
>>150300227
d) webgen looks bad
>>
>>150298917
Or well, compare it to a later Ikuhara show like YKA, which is nonsense on the surface, with the intention to force the viewer to consider a deeper meaning, because there is none otherwise. I think Flip Flappers strikes a pretty good balance between a thin but valid surface level plot and leaving room for interpretation so far.
>>
>>150300159
There’s bad webgen animation. There’s bad normal animation too, but you can’t yell at a bogeyman as easily there.
Webgen stuff being so easily recognizable makes it one of babby’s first sakuga words they learn, and that in turn means it will always have a special place in their minds too, hence everyone sperging about webgen stuff.
>>
It's amusing how people overanalyze this show so much. Flip flappers is just a show about silly girls doing silly shit in a silly alternate dimension, and that's why I like it.
>>
>>150300720
What's the problem with enjoying it on both levels, or at least accepting that various people enjoy it on different levels?

To me, the various interpretations are interesting, but people who swear up and down that that's what the show "really" is all about are just setting themselves up for disappointment when it doesn't do whatever they imagine it should do in the end.
>>
>>150300720
And I like doing silly things such as overanalysis
>>
File: CyUe4EMUQAISI1a.jpg (214KB, 1197x1229px) Image search: [Google]
CyUe4EMUQAISI1a.jpg
214KB, 1197x1229px
>>150300774
At this point I think a lot of dudes are just waiting for Flip Flappers to not deliver on some gigantic groundbreaking statement about everything, just so they can gloat on /a/ that they were right in calling it shallow all along.
>>
>>150300720
Boredom until Thursday.
>>
>>150300774
The writers will have the last laugh when it turns out this is just a show about friendship prevails all and nothing else.
>>
I'm still confused with the concept of depth. It's a spatial metaphor about relations between interpretations (surface-below, etc,), but how do you apply it to visual arts at the very least, let alone moving pictures/cinema? I googled it and I got

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~tpl/texts/layers.html
it's literary. Also, Tomino's script confirmed to be deep, hah.
>>
>>150300720
There's that one guy who keeps spamming his pastebin. It was a bad joke. Chances are he's here in this thread.
>>
>>150300959
I am 100% OK with this.
>>
>>150300959
Making a statement about friendship is not in itself shallow or stupid though. Even if it ends up that way, Flip Flappers has already done enough to make sure that it's more than just "hur the power of friendship saves the day because anime" in the end, if only because Cocona has had character development every single episode so far.
>>
>>150300960
Well in the simplest terms, cinema/anime also has a narrative, so all of the rules about interpreting literature also apply to it no matter what the visuals add. And what they add can easily be even more food for interpretation. I don't understand why you have a particular problem with using a "spatial" metaphor for these layers of meaning.

Even a single still image can have layers of depth to it, just look at this screencap. And that's not even considering what it can say in a narrative context, or historical context, or in a metaphorical context, and so on.
>>
>>150300960
Part of the idea is that interpretations have a "surface layer" which refers to only that which is explicitly told/shown to the reader and ignores things which are uncertain, ambiguous or merely implicit. You go "deeper" by finding other layers of signification in the work which might enhance and altar that narrative, or completely subvert it. These vague levels of interpretation are rarely holistic in their entirety, and so it's up to the interpreter to pick and choose which pieces they group together under what signification. For example, a single sentence might have 3 possible meanings, where the most obvious and sensible reading would be the surface layer, and the other possible readings would create ambiguous layers of meaning with regards to how they relate to the work as a whole (if they even do at all).

A show that has depth doesn't necessarily have anything interesting to say. Depth is more about the way it's being said, and how much meaning is being layered into individual instances of narrative or signification. Things like subtle background details which suggest something not outright states (like Cocona being protective of her thigh-scar) add these layers and pack more narrative into a smaller space. It doesn't necessarily need to advance some profound insight into the human condition or spiritual metaphysics, and doesn't necessarily even need to be setting up for some explosive plot turn. Just as long as it has some point, some meaning, or some oppourtunity for the viewer/reader to interpret it (and thus read meaning into it), it's adding depth.
>>
File: 1477261218083.jpg (16KB, 256x283px) Image search: [Google]
1477261218083.jpg
16KB, 256x283px
Do you actually want to make OP not watch this show?
>>
>>150296566
Hi Doom!
>>
>>150298917
Interpretation is purely up to the audience. Saying something is deep because the "surface" story has a symbolic meaning is pointless because all fiction is symbolic. Not only that, but thinking about stories that way elevates the "intellectual" prestige of stories that are purposefully vague on the surface in order to "hide" the "real" story. But in reality, stories don't need to be puzzles to be deep, they just need to have a little substance to them. And you're right that having substance typically means there's more to the surface than what's immediately recognizable, but that has to do more with observation than construction.
>>
>>150301394
The problem with that is that "substance" is hardly a significantly more easy to pin down quality than "depth". Sure, "depth" can be defined as "hidden substance", but then you're just adding "what is hidden/dies this show hide anything" on top of the question of "what is substance/is this show substantial".
>>
>>150301394
>>150301732

It doesn't really matter all that much if you say "depth = hidden substance" or "depth = substance" when substance itself is up to interpretation. You make it sound like substance is intended by the author as opposed to found by the audience, but that's not always true and you don't even need to go all death of the author to see that. A lot of "substance" in stories is not intentionally put there by the author but informed by their personality or history nonetheless, for starters.
>>
File: technically _married.jpg (112KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
technically _married.jpg
112KB, 1280x720px
>>150300860
>No Papiwo
What a waste.
>>
>so much meta discussion
>serious but still shit
>>
>>150302547
I's the reason that Whateverist readings of texts older than Whateverism itself are a thing. It's not about "what the author intended to say", but more about what the story tells us about the world regardless. It's a perfectly valid approach as long as you don't have to break the story over your knee to make it fit.
>>
>>150298917
My personal belief is that the best works of fiction set up a space that only really exists between the viewer and the work.

Modern DEEPSHIT makes a spectacle out of the very act of consuming media. "Look at how many obscure references I found! Oh my god, I am seeing the story through six different postmodernist lenses at once! I am such an insightful individual that even when I'm reading fan-pandering doujins, it's still a richer experience for me than the birth of anyone else's first born is for them!"

I can't fault people for enjoying that but I still find it annoying.
>>
>>150297547
>I assume
Faggot doesn't even watch the show but talks shit as if he seen it. Sad!
>>
>>150304544
Depth is great, don't get me wrong. I love stories with depth. It's just that when you get too interpretive, you only find these half-formed tenuous connections that clash with the tone of the original work.

People show this crap to the world because they're competing with each other to be the first one to see a connection, no matter how weak and, frankly, boring.
>>
>>150304719
Really depends on what you mean by "too" interpretive. Stuff like episode 2 being a menstruation metaphor is definitely reaching, but it's a) not out of tune with the growing up theme of the show and b) fucking hilarious.

But in Flip Flappers, even things like episode 7 are not clearly spelled out. Is it just a bunch of random Papikas for comedy purposes or is it saying something about Cocona's relationship with Papika? You would be fucking surprised at how many people are stunned when they get told about the latter, or about the blue/orange metaphor in episode 6. It's something that's obvious to anyone with half a brain, but don't expect even half a brain from anime watchers. Hence the "this show is nonsense with not plot" comments.
>>
>>150296420
>Quality animation
It's really not. It's barely above average for TV anime. There are plenty of action scenes that look disjointed and rushed, about as awkward as Yuri on Ice, but maybe less noticeable since they try to hide it by avoiding drawing any detail and making things move too fast for you to notice.
>>
>>150305160
>and making things move too fast for you to notice
I only found this the case with episode 8, but have only watched it once so far. Maybe check your eyes?
>>
>>150305160
You can argue all day long whether it's a TRUE SAKUGA SENSATION like Mob Psycho and whether it's as dank as KyoAni drawing a thousand frames of Kumiko glancing sideways with all of the lighting effects After Effects can handle on top, but if you think that Flip Flappers is "barely above average" you have no fucking clue what constitutes "average" for TV anime.
>>
>>150305312
Drawing a lot of frames doesn't make good animation. Flip Flappers might have more frames of animation than the average TV anime but when it looks awkward most of the time it's not well-animated.
>>
>>150305016
Too interpretive just means it just feels wrong, reaching, boring especially. It's obviously going to vary from person to person and so there's always going to be shit someone sees as reaching even in ideal circumstances.

I think the real problem we're having right now is that not only are people interpreting things to give their own take on the story, but they're interpreting things to show something about themselves. So, in order to hopefully be the first to the punch and feel smart about making a connection, they write long essays about whatever free association game they've been playing with the show, whether or not it has any personal resonance with them at all. So we get a lot of really boring, really overly complicated interpretations of even straightforward things.
>>
>>150305491
you thinking it doesn't look better than most tv anime != barely above average animation

If you want to talk about how it "looks bad" or is badly edited or directed or written or how the sound is too compressed, go ahead (you'd be wrong btw), but there is very little to criticize at a technical animation level.
>>
>>150305531
Basically, the problem as I see it is that a lot of the time, people interpreting DEEPSHIT are being insincere.

>>150305016
And yes, the rabbit ep puberty connection is good even though it's reaching. It's saved by not being boring-- it has resonance beyond just showing how smart the writer is. So I agree, it has value.
>>
>>150305627
Assuming you're not pretending to be dense on purpose, the movement looks horrible, cuts are disjointed, action often does not make sense unless you rewatch or frame-step. It's bad. Not going to respond further though.
>>
>>150305724
Looks to me since you only watched episode 8, since that is the episode that even remotely has any of these problems.
>>
>>150305788
There just aren't as many large-scale action sequences in the previous episodes, so it's not as obvious. Even episode 1 had some awkward movement.
>>
>>150305899
Oh are we going with the "the only animation that counts is BIG FIGHTS" line, is that it?

And episode 3 had two top-tier fight sequences that are basically flawless and can stand up to any other recent show you want to bring up. The main criticism on a WHERE THE ACTION AT level here would be that FF does not do this often.
>>
>>150305724
>>150305788
Please give examples of horrible looking animation that doesn't make any sense in episode 8.
>>
File: 1477507316885.png (190KB, 378x345px) Image search: [Google]
1477507316885.png
190KB, 378x345px
Why is there so much discussion? Where are the memes?
>>
>>150297135

They were answered at a very surface, basic level; we know the artifacts are very powerful, Yayaka works for a cult that wants to conquer the world, etc., but there's very little context behind any of it.
>>
>>150306094
in episode 8 the main problem is that a lot of the action is too closeup, too rapidly edited and too dark to be easy to parse. Like this:

https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/27652/

I don't think it's horrible or anything, but it could be more clear. It's a decent example of how "good" animation on its own doesn't mean much.
>>
>>150306159
check the other thread
>>
>>150305979
>>150306094
At this point it might be best to just stop responding to these people. Even if they're sincere, they're so dense as to not be worth convincing.

I mean, most people would look at FF and at least be able to understand what we love about it. They'd get that we don't care about the animation "flaws" and conclude that it's just not the show for them.

>>150306159
Try the other thread. Yes, it seems like there's always gonna be two.
>>
>>150306222
And another thing, people like this generally have no idea what goes into a large scale production like this. Neither do I, but considering what I know about the Japanese work ethic, it's not some overstaffed sinecure where they offer company ping pong tables. Shit like this takes massive sacrifice.

Stop looking at fluid, brilliant animation as something that you're entitled to in all your animes, and instead look at it as the exception to the norm, the result of an odd society full of people with uncommon introverted passion that treats these bits of animation that only last a few seconds as a personal project.
>>
>>150306241
>>150306274
Oh, I see, thanks. All's right with /a/.
>>
>>150306416
Yeah that's one of the problem with a subset of the sakuga crowd (or probably not the sakuga crowd at all because those guys, for all their faults, know a thing or two about anime). They don't realize that in a TV anime, you'll never have great animation 100% of the time. Even Mob Psycho, which was about as action-packed as you're ever likely to see on TV and never cheapened out on it, spent the majority of its time on semi-stills of people talking. Not to mention stuff like My Hero Academia or One Punch Man.

Even if flashy fight scenes is all you watch anime for, you just have to accept that you're going to get these very rarely, and the presence of them should always be a bonus, not what you expect to see all the time. Anything else is just foolish.
>>
>>150306583
That's actually something I really like about Flip Flappers. Due to the PI concept, you never feel like you got robbed of a fight scene when one isn't happening right now, unlike shows that are all about the action. Flip Flappers can do an "economical" episode like 7 and still not have it feel cheap.
>>
>>150306222
This is a fair criticism. Ep8 looked pretty but several of the action shots were difficult to follow due to some of those choices. I suspect that lighting may have been a consequence of tv stations editing to abide by anti-seizure regulations.
>>
>>150306222
>show does a toykusatsu riff
>gets bayformers syndrome

it's like pottery
>>
>>150306583
I'd argue that in Mob Psycho's case the prevalence of dialogues over action sequences has more to do with how the source material is structured than any specific restrictions the staff had to face (which may have worked in their favor all things considered), and even then said dialogues rarely -if ever- devolved into mouth-flapping territory. That being said your point definitely stands as a large majority of productions aren't anywhere near as well handled and just generally crazy as that one was.

FF is doing great thus far, and whatever sakuga it may be lacking, it largely makes up for with its excellent direction. It's an all around beautiful and visually interesting show and it doesn't really "need" to be anything else, imo.
>>
Its a big mess. At this point, I think it's safe to say that Flip Flappers's thematic substance is ancillary to its desire for artistic playtime. There's a lot going on here, but the show is not particularly economical about integrating its ideas with its imagery. While I'm positive now that the show is exploring a budding romantic relationship between Cocona and Papika, with the emotions and fears that grow out of this change, I still don't actually know much about these two as characters beyond their symbology in a gorgeous yet simple tale of adolescent coming-of-age.
>>
>>150305491
>it looks awkward most of the time
It doesn’t. The drawings are incredibly on model. The models themselves are rather out there and quite simple on top of that, so it’s not too hard to achieve, but they do not look awkward. It’s pretty easy to find QUALITY tweens in pretty much any show, not here. You kind of admitted it yourself, they “hide it better”. Crazy animation can go off model at times, even purposefully. I can somewhat understand people who are annoyed by that if it’s on the level of Yamashita’s Naruto meme face, but that complaint becomes extremely silly if applied to frames most people would never spot unless they framestep through the show.
>>
>>150308364
I'm not tying to drag Mob Psycho (well, I'm not trying to drag its production; I didn't really like it but that was more because of the story). That show put as much effort into its average dialog scenes as many "action" shows put into their average action scenes. And it still cranked it up massively for actual action.

Still, it doesn't matter whether OPM's relative downtime is due to the source material; if the source material was 100% action, they simply couldn't have done it all on the level of the action scenes they ended up with.

>>150308565
>While I'm positive now that the show is exploring a budding romantic relationship between Cocona and Papika

So what's the problem here? Isn't that enough of a "thematic substance"? I would even say that it's not even so much about the relationship between the two and more just about Cocona and how she learns to deal with change in her life, and that is plenty also. I don't feel like we need to "know" more about the characters to make that work. Backstory is not characterization, and if it is, it's lazy characterization.
>>
>>150308649
Love their fluffy hair. Do you have a webm of Cocona being freed from the mask in episode 3?
>>
>>150308565
WAIT A MINUTE

that's a copypasta from the ANN review isn't it
because that's a total jesusotaku thing to write
>>
Easily the best show of the season. If you disagree then you're either a contrarian or some asshole with shit taste that probably likes Persona or SFV.
>>
>>150308853
Not even in my top 3.
>>
>>150308853
What if I like FF, Persona AND SFV?
>>
>>150308764
Sure.
>>
>>150308964
Thanks anon.
>>
>>150308964
Still one of my most favorite shots in the show.
>>
File: 1479615668874.webm (528KB, 498x276px) Image search: [Google]
1479615668874.webm
528KB, 498x276px
>>150308964
Cocona is beauty.
>>
>>150308964
I just noticed her hair colour changing back to normal in this shot.
She was in super saiyan mode while fighting Papika
>>
>>150306222
Most of that cut is fine, but it does have a few legitimately confusing animations, yes.
The worst one was the beginning here:
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/27649/

Hilarious to see the sakuga fags positively mention it when you can’t even parse what’s going on when you framestep through it. Terrible choreography. These cases are few and far between though, especially outside of this episode where it did weirdly enough kind of fit, somewhat. I’d still have preferred animation that makes sense, but I’m not gonna throw an autism fit over this.
>>
File: 1477261218078.jpg (22KB, 335x343px) Image search: [Google]
1477261218078.jpg
22KB, 335x343px
>>150309139
Fuck anon, never noticed.
>>
He did nothing wrong!
>>
>>150307229
>I suspect that lighting may have been a consequence of tv stations editing to abide by anti-seizure regulations.
Those don’t apply to simulcasts most of the time. We live in the golden age of chinese cartoons where we get better quality video than the chinks themselves. I don’t know if flip flappers TV rips have anti seizures, but we’ve been watching simulcast rips from the beginning and those don’t have any.
>>
>>150309350
>where we get better quality video than the chinks themselves.
I wish
>>
>>150309350
It still can happen. The simulcast version of Boku no Hero Academia was dimmed to shit.
>>
File: 1447218458144.png (84KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1447218458144.png
84KB, 300x300px
>>150309139
The fucking attention to detail in this show continues to impress me.
>>
>>150309444
We do, it's just from Germany instead of CR.
>>
>>150309157
The reverse trap twin is just spamming rockets from his stomach. There's nothing confusing here.

YYK climbing and jumping is pretty well animated though
>>
>>150305016
The best part about the menstruation metaphor is how it seemed totally out there and reaching when it was posted after episode 2, but it became more and more obvious that this actually was what they were going for.

The only episode that wasn’t about the horny parts of growing up was episode 6, and it only lacked the horniness anyway.

>>150309564
On AoD too unfortunately. Still, that only rarely happens.
>>
>>150309724
He has a thing on his back that shoots them. You can see it clearly in episode 8.
>>
>>150309564
Same with the simulcast of Rolling Girls.
>>
>>150309724
I meant the way those rockets move through the buildings, that background animation is way too fast and non-linear. Had to step through it several times to even understand what the animator wanted to portray and it’s still confusing.
>>
>>150309157
It feels like there's a missing cut at the end of that clip where Yuyu was supposed to attempt to punch it.
>>
File: 1414667197591.jpg (38KB, 502x432px) Image search: [Google]
1414667197591.jpg
38KB, 502x432px
>>150310065
I think it's done on purpose.
>>
Pros: Episodic format when the episodes are really good (because you don't get shit arcs you have to stick with). Examples include episodes 1,5 and 8

Cons: You sometimes get shit episodes and you wish the former ones were fleshed out arcs. Examples include episode 2,4 and 7
>>
>>150310139
Might be, might not be. Even my favorite animator often doesn’t seem to understand that most humans won’t be able to notice let alone appreciate a frame that’s only shown for 40ms. Lots of webgen folks are like that.

Either way, I don’t like but can live with it.
>>
>>150310275
Is her left arm melting into her hair?
>>
>>150309157
Feels like this could have worked if they had animated the buildings in the background on the ones. But that's probably a bit much to hope for.
>>
>>150310275
And while that one might even be on purpose to slip an upskirt shot into Precure, this one definitely wasn’t.

>>150310314
Not even the coloring people noticed the frame, apparently.
>>
what the FUCK is a flip fapper?
>>
>>150311055
Someone that works at flip flappers.
>>
>>150311055
Those who flap flips.
>>
>>150296082
>What do y'all think about Flip Flapper

AOTY2016, unless they ruin Christmas.

Second is Konosuba.
Thread posts: 166
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.