[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I watch Gintama?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 7

Should I watch Gintama?
>>
File: 1479948731028s.jpg (4KB, 208x206px) Image search: [Google]
1479948731028s.jpg
4KB, 208x206px
No
>>
>>150263195

dumb vargposter
>>
File: 1478389980845.jpg (89KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1478389980845.jpg
89KB, 640x480px
>>150262615
That depends.
Do you like the sound of a comedic, almost SOL-style series about no good oddjobs group, set in alternative history of Japan, with aliens, robots, samurai and ninja's clashing, with tons of modern Nippon shenanigas in the mix?
Do you like LOL RANDOM, tons of references to other shows & media products, and the 4th wall being broken actively and on purpose all the time?

Are you OK with occasional "serious" arcs where SHTF, and rare feels episodes that may make you feel like shit?

And most importantly: are you OK with a series that's first ~20 episodes are literally the worst the series has to offer, but still are essential introduction and foreshadowing episodes you should sit through anyway? Not counting the first 2 episodes, that are the only real filler of the whole show, that is.

If you got more "yes" answers, then Gintama might be just the thing for ya.
I actually just recently started watching the show, finishing the last episode + released OVAs & films last month, and it was helluva show! No idea if I'd bothered to sit through the first season when it aired, but being able to marathon it all did make it easy to digest.

Can't wait for the new season that starts next January.
>>
>>150263419
I never really kept with with that many battle shounen shows. Will it still be enjoyable for me if I don't get all those references?
>>
File: 1476283734598.gif (1MB, 500x270px) Image search: [Google]
1476283734598.gif
1MB, 500x270px
>>150263478
>Will it still be enjoyable for me if I don't get all those references?
Big *maybe*. If you know at least something about the "big three" (Bleach, Naruto, One Piss) and motherfucking DragonBall, you'll be fine. The references don't end to just those as well, and are not limited to merely animu and Jap-shit in general, though big chunk of it will be 'bout them.

Not to mention if you download a typical, old fan-sub batch / fag-off by watching CR's streams, most of the references will be literally explained to you via tl-notes for the first 100+ episodes or so. Also as amazing as it might sound at first, the show actually also has its own plot and lore it occasionally unravels and pushes forward, at which points you'll be happy you sat through all the episodes at the beginning.

The start of the first big "arc" at around ep50 or so will mark the big turning point of the series, and in general the show really, visibly benefits from slowly being pushed from the initial prime-time airing time, to late evening (and now mid-night) slot, allowing the author and studio go more and more nuts with their ideas.
>>
>>150263478
There'll be tons of quite baseline references to numerous well known anime series throughout the show's history, but it's not a mere parody series. Like said above, this show takes a little while longer than usual to get to full speed and reveal its true form, but it is worth the wait. Some episodes work better, some less so, and depending on the viewer, you either enjoy the funny or serious chapters more.
>>
>>150263695
>>150264044
Alright, I'll give it a 50 episode chance.
>>
>>150263419
>Are you OK with occasional "serious" arcs where SHTF, and rare feels episodes that may make you feel like shit?

Thats the best part. How often does it happen
>>
File: 1474315356417.jpg (1MB, 1100x1902px) Image search: [Google]
1474315356417.jpg
1MB, 1100x1902px
>>150264282
>Thats the best part. How often does it happen
Mere handful of times for the first season, more often in the next one(s), which also have more real-deal arcs. Usually there's bits and pieces of both mixed up elsewhere.

The last season started at pretty grim note.

>>150264194
That's pretty good plan, yeah. The first arc, "Benizakura cursed sword", starts bit before 50th ep and ends bit after, so if even that does not finally captivate you, I guess it's fine to drop it.

But seriously: skip the first two episodes!
>>
>>150264461
>skip the first two episodes!

wait why?
>>
>>150264598
Like said: they are literal filler.
No, seriously.

It's all the main cast members, making a quick appearance for couple episodes, like saying "hi! look at us! we're finally animated!!" to the old fans. Quite literally at times.

Episode 3 is the REAL beginning of the story, the straight adaptation of chapter 1 of the manga.
>>
File: Stand users.jpg (94KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Stand users.jpg
94KB, 600x400px
>>150264461
>The last season ENDED at pretty grim note.
Fixed that for me.
The Benizakura-arc's pretty much this show's counterpart to the Bleach's Soul Society arch. Much shorter, but equally impactful. There's even a movie adaptation of it, if you'd prefer that.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.