[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't understand this scene. Was there a point? It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

File: ghost in the shell rain.png (1010KB, 955x536px) Image search: [Google]
ghost in the shell rain.png
1010KB, 955x536px
I don't understand this scene. Was there a point? It's just a bunch of shots of a city during the rain. It's a normal city, and not some weird, futuristic one, so it doesn't serve as exposition about the setting. I don't even think we even see the Major during it, so this scene probably isn't about her.
>>
Humanizes the setting. Not every scene has to have some grand part, sometimes they can just be there to set the mood.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXTnl1FVFBw
>>
Go to /tv/, they'll teach you all you need to know about kino.
>>
>>150223616

I agree, it really doesn't add anything to the movie since there is nothing essentially futuristic about it.

This would detract from the movie rather than add to it.. This scene was meant to represent the slums but just a lazy copy paste from real life to movie.

>>150223710

Probably if it was an actual "Slums" area then yea but not adding anything else doesn't help the movie either.
>>
>>150223616
it's just oshii's self-indulgent condescending melodramatic philosophical bullshit again. all style and no substances. the man is a hack through and through.
>>
>>150223616

Non action scenes are often used to provide the viewer a moment to transition and think about what they just watched.
>>
>>150225014
that's a fucking copout way of doing shit though
>>
>>150225115
Cool opinion, but I'd value it more if you were a succesful anime director.
>>
>>150224740
>>150223616
Its almost as if its in there to show that despite being a furturitic setting that for most people not much has changed. Imagine if someone from the 70s saw a movie from post 2000 and saw some streets "WOW ITS NOT VERY DIFFERENT TO THE STREETS NOW THIS ISNT FUTURISTIC AT ALL"
>>
>>150225115
How else can a director/anime maker give the viewer time to digest? should it just pause periodically from time to time?
>>
>>150225115
>that's a fucking copout way of doing shit though
What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Copping out of what?
>>
>>150223710
What mood? Are they trying to make me sad by showing it raining? That's some hacky stuff.

>>150224740
>Probably if it was an actual "Slums" area then yea but not adding anything else doesn't help the movie either.
I couldn't even tell it was the slums. Was that important?
>>
>>150225835
ironic shitposting is just shitposting dude.
>>
>>150223892
>using clips from the dub
I'm glad he made this video, but the Motoko/the Major (I forget what I'm supposed to call her), is awful, even by dub standards.
>>
>>150225904
I'm not shitposting. I actually am like this.
>>
>>150225835
>What mood? Are they trying to make me sad by showing it raining?

really makes you think
>>
File: mamoruoshii.jpg (4KB, 204x247px) Image search: [Google]
mamoruoshii.jpg
4KB, 204x247px
>>150225225
>oshii
>successful director
that's subjective and up to debate. he had strong stuffs earlier on. but his works have since almost all completely devolved into condecending philobabbles. if anything he's an extremely niche director.

also >herp derp you can only criticize something if you're a professional creator yourself.

it's been a while since i last heard that retarded logic

>>150225376
>give the viewer time to digest
so we're treating the audience like retarded children who can't comprehend shit unless given a juice box break now? and fuck, if the ideas were well presented, even in the most subtle ways, there would've been no need for pauses.

and shit, the bigger point is that there are better way to do it. showing you a buncha scenery with very little story significance is just lazy, it barely had more substances than a commercial break. one of the cardinal sin in film making is having a period of insignificant scenes that served little to nothing to advance the story elements. no, setting the mood isn't a valid excuse to pull this shit either. we're talking about basic shit they taught in films 101 here. something apparently oshii completely forgot after his initially strong works.

oshii was so proud of this lazy trick that he thought was sucha ground breaking techniques he invented, he did the same shit in patlabor 2, same for skycrawler, same for fucking jin-roh, innocence, etc etc. each with more and more mediocre recepetions.
s
>>
>>150223616
Because it's "deep", and also praising the director's dick even though most of the work here was painfully done by background artists mostly
>>
Is Mamoru Oishii oishii?
>>
>>150223616
It's like long panning shots senpai.

It's nice to take a step back and smell the roses.
>>
>>150223616
The man has no concept of pacing or intriguing storytelling, he's just way too self absorbed about his brand of so called "art". As a result his films often felt more like sitting through a boring lecture where the speaker is constantly talking down to you than a movie. His cult of fans lives on that kind of shit, though.
>>
>>150226276
>no need for pauses
Does every single frame need to be used to further some plot thread or inject some sort of commentary? I don't think so. It's a movie, not a video lecture. It lets me build and fill in the setting in my mind, and that adds to my enjoyment of the rest of the movie.
>>
File: 3096617264_951e38e399_o.jpg (1MB, 3453x2301px) Image search: [Google]
3096617264_951e38e399_o.jpg
1MB, 3453x2301px
>>150226276
>showing you a buncha scenery with very little story significance is just lazy

false. humans can absorb information in other ways than from just speech and action-scenes. a scene such as the rain scene in GitS can say something that words cannot.

for example, body language is a much more ancient and primal form of communication than speech.

imagine one character with a defensive/aggressive posture and the other with their back to the first in a passive state can say a lot, especially if you consider a social situation such as sharing an elevator. that scene can send the viewer a much more powerful message than a shorter scene with verbal assault and deflective indifference.

picture another scene of an overgrown, deserted city. you can see signs of panic and conflict, such as barricades, disorderly cars, evidence of fire and break-in. there might be piles of corpses or the non-organic remains of people such as phones, wallets, jewelry and clothes and skellingtons. that scene may send a more powerful message than a passing statement of the collapse of society, but truly it depends on what the director is aiming for.
>>
>>150226700
To build on this guy's point, it's like the opening scene in Blade Runner. No words, no connection to the plot, 1 minute and 30 seconds long.

https://youtu.be/-fu7jN2_2pE?t=3m1s
>>
>>150226631
what is this? a hyperbole and a strawman rolled into one?

>>150226700
only that the way this hack of a director does his shit is simply showing long sequence of scenery, usually paired up with spoken dialogue in the background. there's nothing subtle about it. his method is literally show the pretty pictures while some talking head spout out paragraphs after paragraphs of philobabbles. what's worse, his dialogue feels like it's directed to the audience, not to other characters. which's again, fucking lazy.

sure, all of these could maybe kind of work in a different medium. perhaps even in documentaries. but NOT in a story driven film.
>>
File: gits dystopia.jpg (82KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gits dystopia.jpg
82KB, 1280x720px
>It's just a bunch of shots of a city
It's just to remind you that this is not a perfect, futuristic world, and it's a very "real" place not so detached from your reality. At the start of the GITS movie you see all this high-tech stuff, and the major's body being constructed. The song (Making of a cyborg) overlaps scenes from the high-tech environment, to a very flawed, very human city, with busy streets full of what seems to be middle working class people with bags of food, and canals full of floating garbage. It's to remind you that although the future may be fantastic in some ways, it's no utopia, and it's a very flawed place where many people still struggle to get by, and to survive. It sets the tone for the rest of the movie. Once in a while you see similar scenes to remind you this is a place where people will do whatever they have to do to survive, the government doesn't exactly look out for the people, and there's probably a very wide gap of income between the haves and the have-nots. The humble city shots is a recurring theme of the whole franchise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c26iiSfC6Us
>>
>>150226922
Are you seriously comparing an opening credit sequence to something jammed in the middle of the film?
>>
>>150226922
it provides setting and introduces the viewer to the world, just like the rain scene does. it puts you in the shoes of a pedestrian walking the streets of the city.
>>
>>150226922
>yfw the pyramid-buildings are shaped just like the Pyramid of the Sun

MEME MAGIC
>>
man half these fuckers couldn't sit through through blade runner or 2001 a space Odyssey.

Thats not a bad thing,
but just admit that you are a pleb and move on
>>
>>150227165
Yeah, what's the problem? No matter where you put the thing it's still takes 1:30 from something else. Plus it's not a credit sequence, there's literally no text, just a long shot of a cityscape.

In fact I can argue that opening sequences are more wasteful because you're not as invested in the movie yet and you risk having the viewer tune the whole thing out, rather than in the middle when they have more things to digest on.
>>
>>150223616
>It's a normal city, and not some weird, futuristic one
>>
>>150226134
So a dumb fuck?
>>
>>150227090
once again, we don't need a long sequence consist of nothing but the cityscape to get the point. a competent way of getting this point across would've just show the ugly sides as the story advances. he's basically saying "hey, since you probably missed everything, here's all the dirty crap you didin't notice. do you get it now? here, let me spell it out for you-".

treating audiences like retards and more or less condescendingly talking down to you on shit you would've picked up with or without his directorial exposition. i'm sure you know the old writer's guideline of "show, don't tell". oshii pretty much does the exact opposite of that in terms of his film making. every philosophical ideas he wanted to present, he either hammers it onto the screen, or have literal talking heads speaking the shit out loud in a way that are just short of speaking directly to the audiences. hell, even spike lee doesn't go this far.
>>
>>150227314
they're just young, and therefore mostly drawn to flashes and noise. once the novelty of getting high wears off, they'll learn to appreciate the subtleties of life, and allow themselves to analyze the human condition and centuries of human history, and start asking themselves how we got to where we are, and where it all leads. That's when they'll realize that the world holds more than enough mysteries to solve while being sober

(inb4 fedora response as a defense mechanism to dismiss anything that goes over their head)
>>
File: ohwell.png (3KB, 274x242px) Image search: [Google]
ohwell.png
3KB, 274x242px
>>150227314
>>150226700
>>150227778

Like I said, cult of Oshii is real.
>>
>>150227904
>ohwell.png
fuck off crossboarder
>>
>>150227904
stop jerking yourself off you smug fuck, i dont even know who Oshii is.

its like a stormfront pleb not getting a job and daying the jewish conspiracy is real.
>>
>>150227314
to add to my comment I'd like to elaborate by mentioning one my favourite films

jin roh: the wolf brigade

It throws alot of imagery at you of well detailed back grounds and look to some people that cant focus on and think on the film this might seem dreary dull and pointless

but each of these scenes adds atmosphere and tone and any movie that takes this approach will find any stark examples of action heavily emphasized and gripping

but here is the thing you see these types of shots plenty of times in film, tv and other places. So I to be honest don't understand your argument in the least
>>
File: q.jpg (34KB, 620x200px) Image search: [Google]
q.jpg
34KB, 620x200px
>>150227690
>providing audiences with a very beautiful, and detailed opening scene, and a wonderful soundtrack that breaths life into the GITS universe is treating them like retards
ok, kid. maybe you should go watch an action movie. it gets "worse" (for your type) later on. There's whole scenes with deep conversations about existentialism, budhism, and about what it means to have a sense of self. This happens while they do things like "drive down the street in cars not moving, and not shooting at things". Sometimes they just stare blankly into the distance while not even moving their mouths, instead of doing "cool things" or "shooting cool futuristic weapons". It's "very boring, very stupid stuff" that you won't enjoy either
>>
>>150227904
I dont know who Oshii is I just pick up films and watch them but the use of weather and background to establish tone throughout a work both in lit, film and any other imagery based work is universal
>>
>>150227690
but he is showing here. you're basically asking for him to tell you the answer through story instead of showing it visually. you, know, because it isn't a visual medium or anything. also, you know nothing about directing. the fact is, the majority of the audience will not remember a point unless it is reinforced at least once. I mean, look at the amount of people on this very site who completely miss really obvious shit unless it is flat out told to them. in fact, I was in a thread a few weeks ago who got several facts about a show's characters completely wrong even though they were stated in show and he just finished watching the episode. you completely overestimate the extent to which normalfags actually pay attention to what they're watching.
>>
>>150227904
>people take time to explain to you there's a reason for everything
>instead of thanking them for their time, dismiss it like an immature asshole who thinks he's special and people will always provide you with this type of guidance
go be 12yrs old somewhere else
>>
File: file0001519937273.jpg (3MB, 2240x1680px) Image search: [Google]
file0001519937273.jpg
3MB, 2240x1680px
>>150227778
>novelty
funny, the reason i grew tired of oshii's work is precisely because his method of storytelling, non story related expositions, started to feel nothing but cheap novelty to me.

>>150228139
>herp derp you're just not deep enough to get this, you're just not a sophisticated intellectual like me.
was wondering when that's gonna pop up. fyi, you're speaking to a guy who genuinely enjoyed nostalghia. the mother of all slowburn film, no pun intended. but the difference between you and i is that i can tell when it's masterfully done, and when it's done as a shallow artsy gimmick from a self-absorbed director.
>>
>>150228363
>you're basically asking for him to tell you the answer through story instead of showing it visually. you, know, because it isn't a visual medium or anything
and weaving it bits and pieces into the scenes as the story advances isn't doing it visually?

>also, you know nothing about directing
oh? and you do?

>the fact is, the majority of the audience will not remember a point unless it is reinforced at least once.
speak for yourself. furthermore, oshii doesn't just reinforce his points once or twice. he literally have an entire sequence dedicated to hammer the point into your cranium. like i said, treating the audiences like retarded children in special ed class. there are better ways to handle this sort of things, but oshii always takes the lazy route.
>>
>>150228878
not an argument
>>
>>150228878
If you're OP, seems like you already have your opinion about this scene before this thread even started, and I don't see you changing your opinion regardless of what people who like it says. So you really just want to bitch about Oishii? Cause I can do that too but I thought this thread was about something else.
>>
>>150228878
>weaving it bits and pieces into the scenes as the story advances isn't doing it visually?
it wouldn't have the same emotional impact /atmosphere, so no.
>speak for yourself
what I said is a known fact about how audiences react to media. all competent directors know this and direct scenes to counteract it.
>>
>>150229175
i'm not op. op doesn't know the reason for the long sequences of the cityscape. i understand the reason for it, but also know the execution of it just flat out suck. oshii is so overrated to the point i honestly don't really give a shit about him. the guy is hardly working anymore anyway. it just annoys me a bit to see fanboys who actually bought into his gimmicks, who would probably look back at oshii's works in couple years and realize how unremarkable they really were when judged on their own merits.

>>150229452
>it wouldn't have the same emotional impact /atmosphere, so no.
first of all, the idea was simple enough that there were very little emotional impact potential to begin with. and atmosphere? are you saying the progress of the story itself couldn't generate deep atmosphere? how many film have you actually seen up to this point?

>what I said is a known fact about how audiences react to media. all competent directors know this and direct scenes to counteract it.
and mediocre director counteract this by having literal and visual exposition sequences, while competent director would know to present the idea in better yet subtle ways, and adding minor elements that would help point the audiences toward it, etc.

>>150229657
again, all of which can be conveyed without dedicating a whole sequence of scenery panning and/or mini lecture.
>>
It's part of Oshii's visual style, he did the same exact thing in Patlabor 1, and almost all of Angel's Egg. He likes long masturbatory shots of cityscapes. Whether or not it adds anything to the narrative is up to the viewer.
>>
>>150231363
>masturbatory

whats with this meme? were great artists like Rembrandt and Devinci just huge jerk-offs too?
>>
>>150223616
You are stupid.
You could see 10 kinofilms in a row you wouldn't know they are.
>>
>>150231951
Leo's boyfriend drew dicks all over his stuff. Just a curiosity, keep slapping eachother.
>>
>>150223616
Let me guess, not enough explosions or expository talk right?

Michael bay sure did a number on you
>>
>>150231363
except patlabor 1 was actually good, it actually had a balance
>>
File: Mnc-outskirts1.png (937KB, 1228x520px) Image search: [Google]
Mnc-outskirts1.png
937KB, 1228x520px
>Could some tell what time this scene plays in the movie?
Sure if you could tell the time stamp this scene in the movie takes place in
so I can check it an make a webm because I can't really can't remember but wasn't Batou & the major look for a guy in the crowd?

>>150223616
>I don't understand this scene. Was there a point? It's just a bunch of shots of a city during the rain. It's a normal city, and not some weird, futuristic
I want to answer the Assailant was running away in a outskirts part of town where alot of black market shady deals go on, Op you just have to watch more police crime drama this type of setting is very common in cop dramas.
>https://lmgtfy.com/?q=outskirts
>>
Anon from >>150232439

>>150227090
Awh shit I should have red the thread!
This sums it up really nicely!
>>
>>150226276
>same for fucking jin-roh

All he did was write Jin-Roh; he didn't direct it
>>
> It's a normal city, and not some weird, futuristic one

True, I forgot about all those cyborgs we have running around.
>>
This feels related somehow?
https://youtu.be/_sarYH0z948
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.