[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anno is incapable of directing Nausicaa

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: kyoshin_eva.jpg (53KB, 400x463px) Image search: [Google]
kyoshin_eva.jpg
53KB, 400x463px
There are rumors that Anno might produce a sequel to Nausicaa, based potentially on Miyazaki’s manga but also possibly as a completely new story. I don’t think this is a particularly good idea, either to make a sequel to Nausicaa or, if it has to happen, to have Anno direct it. It’s clear that Nausicaa has profoundly influenced the work for which he is best known, the now seminal Neon Genesis Evangelion, but I would like to argue that what Anno has done with his inspiration in fact disqualifies him from being a particularly good choice for tackling a Nausicaa sequel, should such a poorly conceived thing come to pass.

Remember how Anno worked on the god warrior sequence of the Nausicaa film? Well, as a storyteller, Anno is basically stuck right there. The EVA units themselves basically are god warriors in all their particulars (plus a dose of Ultraman, apparently), with one notable exception. Anno’s EVAs are just like the bestial cannon at the end of Miyazaki’s feature film, hulking things capable of unimaginable destruction, at their most powerful when the human being plugged into them “shuts down” either due to unconsciousness or to succumbing to the overwhelming furor of their own rage.
>>
>>150121116
I'm not seeing a reason why he shouldn't be the one to direct it.
>>
>>150121207
So the reason that you don't think he should direct it is that you don't like the Rebuilds?
>>
>>150121116
cont'd

Consider the most recent film in the Rebuild of Evangelion, 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo. I have seen now numerous blogs and reviews and “essays” proclaiming how shocking this film was, how it “changed everything.” Sure, superficially, much has changed: it’s 14 years after Shinji, by “saving” Rei, has initiated the dreaded Third Impact that everyone (except Gendo, of course) was trying to avoid in every previous iteration of the EVA story. But, as Kaworu later reveals, Third Impact was only a partial apocalypse, and now he and Shinji have to go on a dangerous mission to stop FOURTH IMPACT. Many years from now, when Kaworu and Shinji are racing against the clock to stop TENTH IMPACT, I’m not going to hold back from saying “I told you so.” This raising of the stakes by simply introducing an even worse ultimate bad thing plays into the worst tendencies of shounen manga, where each new story arc is initiated by the team of super powered dudes suddenly discovering that there is an even more powerful ultimate bad guy that they didn’t previously know about.
>>
>>150121243
Unlike Anno, Miyazaki enhances his vision of the giant god warrior by lowering the stakes, by re-emphasizing the person-al in the “machine.” He asks his reader to understand what amounts to Nausicaa’s manipulation and betrayal of her “child” through her eyes, in which the god warrior is never simply reducible to a means toward some grand goal. Naushika hates herself for what she does, but in her mind it is the best of a variety of bad choices. Why do we never see things from Gendo’s perspective? Hell, why do we never really see things even from Shinji’s perspective? What was their family life like before his mother died? Does Gendo, perhaps, fear Shinji’s destructive potential? Was using him in the human instrumentality like Nausicaa using the god warrior? What does it mean that Asuka imprints her own mother onto her EVA outside the simple claim that each EVA pilot’s mother is somehow “in there?” Why is this subtext more or less dropped in the Rebuild films? Any of these would have made for interesting threads to explore, but Anno is simply much more at home with FUCK YEAH!!1 epic machine battles than with the subtleties of human psychology. In the EVA TV series, he had at least hinted at the latter, but in later revisions his knowing suggestions have been revealed to be mere winks and nudges.
>>
>>150121276
cont'd

In the end, I fail to see what good could come of revisiting Nausicaa, especially since it already has been revisited quite compellingly in the manga. The best anyone could hope for from Anno is a simple animated repetition of something the manga already does quite well, in which case, read the fucking book. What I fear, though, and I think there is ample justification for this, is that Anno, finding himself well outside his comfort zone, would eventually dumb things down, so that what we would be left with in a Nausicaa remake is 90 minutes of air battles and god warrior roaring broken up with a few minutes of whiny muttering about how hard life is. The reason I don’t want this to ever happen is because Anno has demonstrated again and again that EVA is basically a primer in how to be stupidly self-absorbed. Nausicaa, on the other hand, asks what it means to be selfless, in the most disconcerting way possible, where the most ethical choice may be to doom your whole species to nonexistence. There’s no reason to believe Anno could even begin to handle that.
>>
>>150121309
You're basing your entire opinion 90% on the Rebuilds and 10% on Eva TV.

He's done a lot more than that.

Anyway, I think the idea would be a Kushana prequel, so you don't need to worry about God Warriors.

You wrote a lot, but didn't say a lot.
>>
>>150121309
cont'd

And before people start saying things such as how Anno focuses on characterization and human interaction- take a closer look at his recent works. Shin Godzilla involves many politics and apocalyptic scenery, but most human characters have no depth outside of their assigned jobs. And Anno's previous live action affair, Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo, is just a bunch of dumb giant biomechanical robots blowing up a city... which is what he wants to make Nausicaa about, hell they're ALREADY god warriors.

Miyazaki once said Anno was only interested in "playing war games" when it came to making a Nausicaa sequel. He was absolutely correct.
>>
>>150121438
GGWAIT is like a five minute short, dude.
>>
>>150121405
I used to be a massive EVA fan, back when I had only seen the original 26 episode series, but with each successive iteration, Anno has deviated further and further from the psychological drama that made the EVA mythos more than a mere robot/kaiju vehicle tarted up with remarkably shallow philosophical musings. As a result, I, at least, have become increasingly dissatisfied with his reinventions and rebuilds that, in the end, do little to elucidate what it is he’s trying to achieve with these characters and this world. It would be easy to harp on his laziness, his tendency to simply reuse large chunks of previous work, often without any editing, but I think what lies at the heart of it all is a good old fashioned lack of vision, the kind of vision that would sustain several iterations on the same story. Anno tries to claim that EVA is meaningless, but one detects more than a whiff of a tryhard who can’t quite say what he means.
>>
>>150121494
I don't have a problem with the Rebuilds, and will not no matter how they play out. It does nothing to retroactively worsen the show or anything else he has made or will make.

I think he's really talented, and this doesn't change that.
>>
>>150121564
For me, and perhaps only me, the Nausicaa manga represents an attempt to actually expose and work through the trauma of the past, and the nihilism of the final volume is Miyazaki’s solution to the problem of the mere (and dysfunctional repetition) of the past in the present, whereas, it seems to me, the nihilism of the Eva media is just trying to “end it” (like suicide) but can’t.

My fear is that an Anno Nausicaa would turn the revision of the former into the repetition, and thus dysfunction, of the latter. It’s something people often complain of with satire: you have to repeat so much of that which you are trying to undermine in order to invoke it, that you always run the risk of simply repeating that which you wanted to undercut and thus become complicit with it. I feel sometimes that Anno has gone so far down the merchandising, hyper-capitalist rabbit hole that he simply enhances and legitimizes a form of rabid and conspicuous consumption that breeds the very sense of alienation his types (not characters) feel so palpably. It’s a self perpetuating cycle.
>>
Could Anno survive the Black Mesa incident?
>>
File: 1423707638091.jpg (172KB, 606x454px) Image search: [Google]
1423707638091.jpg
172KB, 606x454px
lol didnt read

go to bed you old geezer
oh wait its 3:15 over there
>>
>>150121685
Eva isn't Nausicaa, though. It might be a "spiritual prequel," and when the God Warriors were destroying civilization none of those themes mattered (just like they don't matter in Attacks Tokyo).

Eva is a different work with different, equally valid themes.

I'd have to wait and see what happens in the future before making a call like that, though. There's always been merchandise. This premonition is entirely based on the Rebuilds, which aren't even complete yet. We'll see.
>>
>>150121750
Does he have a HEV suit?
>>
File: 1424054035422.jpg (67KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
1424054035422.jpg
67KB, 640x427px
>>150121889
Who needs that shit when Anno has money.
>>
should i watch all of the rebuilds, or am i correct in only watching the original series and 2.22 for teh rei
>>
>>150121958
You might as well just watch the two extra films at that point.
>>
it's like I am really on evageeks
>>
>>150121116
I want Akira Ishida to voice Selm
>>
File: 1433390944812.gif (938KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1433390944812.gif
938KB, 500x281px
>>150121116
>Anno might produce a sequel to Nausicaa, based potentially on Miyazaki’s manga but also possibly as a completely new story.
Awe shit son. I am so fucking hype. The Naasica manga is soooo fucking good.
>>
>>150121309
you take the rebuilds into account but fail to recognize that they are a part of the main storyline started in EvaTV. I am very confused how anyone can believe that this is erroneous at this point. What we are seeing in Rebuild is the culmination of everything Eva has been about since the beginning, and if you think all we're gonna see is "LOL ROBOTS SHOOT LASER HAHA" then you are ignoring a lifetime of work that begs otherwise.

Whether or not you believe Anno capable of directing Naussica is inconsequential to the reality that there is really no one that would be chosen other than him. You just sound like you're upset because you've been betrayed by a series of films that isn't even completed yet, that it rewrote your understanding of Eva and you never accepted the truth of it all.

There are so many signs in Rebuild that this is a continuation that you'd have to be blind not to see them. Just wait for 4.0, then we can discuss how Anno is a shit.
>>
>>150121958
1.11 is the first 6 episodes, 2.22 starts variation, 3.33 is new territory.

Please enjoy. I look forward to discussing the series with you in the "WTF DID I JUST WATCH" thread you will undoubtedly author.
>>
>>150123686
>I am so fucking hype
>I am hype
>hype
It's "hyped", you fucking ingrate.
>>
>>150124052
Fuck off newfaggot.
>>
>>150122014
>>150123991
fine. youve convinced me to watch the third rebuild

and youll get your thread
>>
File: pacha meme.jpg (43KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pacha meme.jpg
43KB, 500x500px
>>150121116

>Miyazaki comes out of retirement again to do the CG? caterpillar movie
>Anno makes a Nausicaa sequel
>Takahata comes back for one last film
>Goro and Yonebayashi both make another film for Ghibli
>tfw Ghibli gets to have at least one more hurrah before Miyazaki dies
>>
>>150123924
>There are so many signs in Rebuild that this is a continuation that you'd have to be blind not to see them.

You are completely delusional and beyond argument. Fuck off back to your circlejerk on Evageeks you disgusting Lucas apologist.
>>
>>150121116
No sequels, I want him to adapt the manga.

Or make a Kushana prequel but get someone better to write.
>>
>>150121116
He said himself that he wasn't interested in directing anything related to Nausicaa anymore in that Russian interview a while back.

https://ria.ru/interview/20150522/1065883205.html
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.