[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what is the truest/deepest meaning of the Evangelion series?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 41

File: 1111.png (75KB, 720x320px) Image search: [Google]
1111.png
75KB, 720x320px
what is the truest/deepest meaning of the Evangelion series?
>>
>>149991791
Tomino is a hack
>>
Love is necessary even if it hurts sometimes.
>>
Fetish for mom manifest through fetish for tsundere
>>
File: tumblr_inline_mihz17SPlx1qz4rgp.jpg (26KB, 306x273px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mihz17SPlx1qz4rgp.jpg
26KB, 306x273px
>>149991791
A mothers love for her child.

non sexual you fucks
>>
>>149991992
>>149991841
Both of these are acceptable. Surprisingly accurate so early on.
>>
>>149991992
wtf? this is not even a "meaning"

>>149991841
yes, this concept is present several times, but I doubt it is the ultimate interpretation of it all
>>
>>149991791
"Kill yourselves you filthy weebs. I hate Rei and I hate all of you"
>>
File: The Master's Advice.jpg (178KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
The Master's Advice.jpg
178KB, 400x533px
>>149991791
And it's true.
>>
>>149991791
Love yourself.
>>
File: neveru learnu.png (339KB, 910x558px) Image search: [Google]
neveru learnu.png
339KB, 910x558px
>>149991791
being manlet is suffering
>>
>Episode 1 - "I must not run away"
>Episode 26 - He doesn't run away
>EoE - Also you shouldn't either
>>
>>149991841
This is probably the biggest one. There's also a lot of cosmic horror stuff in EoE like how horrifying knowledge of the universe and the incomprehensible can be.
>>
>>149991791
Weeaboos are pathetic and disgusting
>>
>>149995441

I look at it a different way. I think it's more in an esoteric way, like the personal horror of having a universe of personal consciousness and the infinite gulf between people rather than a Cthulhu type cosmic horror.
>>
>>149995441
>>149995967

Cthulhu type cosmic horror *that exists outside of ourselves and the interpesonal, that is
>>
>>149995967
>>149995967
>>149996012
I'd say that's definitely apart of it with the whole merging of consciousness and loss of identity parts but I was also referring more to the imagery that's used when the whole world is turning to tang and it's just impossible to explain what exactly is going on.
>>
>>149991791
Anime needs better direction
>>
>>149992295
>but I doubt it is the ultimate interpretation of it all
>Shinji learns to love himself
>Asuka learns to love others
>Rei learns what love is
>>
File: 7ff.png (184KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
7ff.png
184KB, 640x480px
>>149991791
We ran out of money, maybe if we're ambiguously random and pretentious enough, these kids will still be debating if there was a deeper meaning while we skip town.

And then basically a strange version of The Producers happened and it became a viable franchise.
>>
>>149996367
Eva was set up to what you call random and pretentious from the very beginning.
Maybe it wouldn't have been a slideshow but "what the fuck did I just watch" threads would still be a thing.
>>
File: 1295987190674.jpg (203KB, 3498x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1295987190674.jpg
203KB, 3498x5000px
>>149991791
Other people will hurt you but that's part of life?
>>
I hate how people say they dont understand Eva.

They LITERALLY tell you what you're supposed to get from it in episodes 25 and 26. You cant be more specific than that.
>>
>>149996437
>Eva was set up to what you call random and pretentious from the very beginning.
Look man, ambiguity and unresolved open plot threads are one thing, but going from semi-comprehensible to this makes less sense than the ending of 2001, the entirety of holy mountain, and mememe back to back while borderline blackout drunk or on acid is a different thing entirety.

there is a difference between "that was a surrealist approach which I may not have fully understood or been the target for every single aspect of but still of a comprehensible concept or theme" and *holds up spork*(in the hope that fanboys will assume it is profound).
>>
>>149991791
Just put deep things if you have short budget.
>>
>>149997034
What exactly do you find so random? We knew about the instrumentality we see in the last episodes since episode 2. And it's just characters talking about how they feel and seeing the true form of each other in a dark room.

And we do know what they would have done with a budget, it's called EoE.
>>
>>149996586
The part that people don't understand is the objective plotline
>what are angels even trying to do, if anything, seeing how everything is layered with keikakus and Adam isn't even in the central dogma
>why is Gendo fighting SEELE tooth and nail when in the end they want the same fucking thing to happen
>everyone is a triple agent and everyone knows about it, NERV as an organization is held together solely by the fact that people bother to show up to work in-between holding each other at a gunpoint
>considering all of the above, it's even more interesting to know who would even spare the time of their day to actually kill that motherfucker Kaji
>SEELE and Gendo taking turns saying how everything goes exactly as planned while their plans are held together exclusively by the fact that Shinji manages to get into the robot in-between his bitch fits
>eventually the project known as instrumentality struggles against the psyche of a 14 y/o teenager and falls apart anyway
>>
>>149997648
>why is Gendo fighting SEELE tooth and nail when in the end they want the same fucking thing to happen
Not all instrumentalities are created equally. Gendo wanted control over it
>>
>>149997648
>what are angels even trying to do
Rejoin with Adam and cause another Impact, destroying Lilith based life so that they can take their rightful place as the main life of Earth.

They don't. This is such a common misconception that it's amazing you haven't seen people answer it already.

>everyone is a triple agent and everyone knows about it
Kaji and...?

>SEELE and Gendo taking turns saying how everything goes exactly as planned while their plans are held together exclusively by the fact that Shinji manages to get into the robot in-between his bitch fits
Their plans are to destroy Angels and hold enough key components that they can start up Instrumentality to further their own goals. They're playing a close game of chess and, ultimately, they both lose.

>eventually the project known as instrumentality struggles against the psyche of a 14 y/o teenager and falls apart anyway
Pro tip: Neither Seele nor Gendo wanted to have Shinji at the head of Instrumentality. Gendo was betrayed, and Seele decided it was good enough so fuck it.
>>
>>149997725
>SEELE has no qualms about a mentally challenged 14 y/o deciding how it goes instead
Fucking over Gendo must've been a really high priority then. Poor man couldn't catch a break.
>>
Rei > Asuka
>>
Does anyone else think that Anno didn't have a real meaning for Eva either?
>>
>>149997824
>Rejoin with Adam and cause another Impact
Adam wasn't even there to begin with. An angel coming in contact with Lilith does fuck all. Ever noticed how Kaworu was well intent on charging into central dogma until he realized that Adam wasn't there? For all anyone cared they could've invited the rest of the angels in so that they could also do a dumb face and kill themselves.
>They don't
EoE shows otherwise
>Kaji and...?
Misato
>Neither Seele nor Gendo wanted to have Shinji at the head of Instrumentality.
SEELE was fine with it, seeing how they started it anyway.
>>
File: 1449881734162.webm (2MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
1449881734162.webm
2MB, 720x404px
>>149998077
>>
>>149997913
Qualms? They have no say on it
>>
>>149998232
>Adam wasn't even there to begin with.
The best explanation is that Lilith and Adam both have similar "frequencies" that the Angels follow, making it easy to confuse the two. They picked up a signal and followed it hoping it was Adam; this is why Gaghiel didn't go to Tokyo-3. After that episode, they're in the same place anyway.

>EoE shows otherwise
No, it explicitly shows that they don't when Rei fucking betrays Gendo and goes against his plans.

>Misato
So one whole other person, and she only starts digging about half way into the series. That's a far cry from "Everyone's a triple agent." It's one guy doing some digging, then leaving his girlfriend with what he's found when he realizes he got in too deep.

>SEELE was fine with it
>and Seele decided it was good enough so fuck it.
>>
>>149998329
It was their mass-produced evas that started the instrumentality. They literally gave the order.
>people claim to understand EVA perfectly while missing obvious plot points
>>
>>149998439
That's not what puts Shinji on the helm dummy, Lilith puts Shinji on the helm.
It sure happens
>>
>>149991791
Instrumentality is disgusting.
>>
>>149998419
>The best explanation is that Lilith and Adam both have similar "frequencies" that the Angels follow
None of this is explained in the series and is a valid point for people to get confused over. What you've typed is conjecture.
>No, it explicitly shows that they don't when Rei fucking betrays Gendo and goes against his plans.
I'm not seeing why SEELE would lead a direct attack on NERV HQ if they weren't at odds with it
>So one whole other person
She's NERV's commanding officer when it comes to the actual operations, for crying out loud. There's also Ritsuko who's got a family trait of backstabbing Gendo at the most unfortunate moments.
>and Seele decided it was good enough so fuck it.
How is that not something to be confused over?
>organizations wants thing and works towards it the whole series
>organization is okay when thing goes completely wrong, lol, fuck it
>>
>>149998550
Fuyutsuki says that it's up to Shinji now way before anything of the stuff with giant Rei even happens. It must be pretty obvious that the person in the cockpit of a god is going to have a hand in deciding how it all happens.
crazy, isn't it?
>>
>>149997283
I'm not PURELY saying it was random, I'm primary saying it was shallow and I'm more saying that anyone who purports it as deep or meaningful probably didn't understand it and was more dazzled by the ambiguity and appreciation of the series (and don't get me wrong; I'm not saying eva is a bad series, I'm saying it's a hilariously overrated one, for the aforementioned reason of a combination of nostalgic appreciation and [presumably] lack of comprehension) to 'get it'. The fairly simple 'character feelings and perceptions and underlying issues" were by any and all means sufficiently conveyed by the primary content prior to that train wreck of an ending.

Hell I'm probably biased in this as I didn't watch eva until I was in my mid 20s, probably a good 10 years after it aired, as well as a good 10 years after it would probably resonated with more effectively, but as a kid in a midwest, I didn't even really know that such a thing as "anime" existed at that point, but now looking back as far as I've seen, in terms of more subjective enjoyment and objective quality of technical/execution (BOTH in regards to similar classic 'mecha' like robotech and its derivatives, or more modern 'mecha battle harem' like infinite stratos or muv luv etc...). Although I guess I can conceed eva may have been an important watershed moment in the transition between contemporaries; but honestly I don't know, I wasn't even AWARE of anime in 95) I have seen far better, and far worse.

Don't get me wrong, If they get a 4.444 or something out, you can bet you ass I'll watch it as soon as I can. I'm "in it" for nostalgia at this point too. But really if you look at it "out of time" eva is a pretty unexceptional series. I guess you just "had to be there" when it happened to fully appreciate it; and frankly I wasn't.

Rei best girl tho.
>>
>>149998822
>What you've typed is conjecture.
And it is the best explanation we have. Not everything is explained; that doesn't mean you can't figure out what's most likely.

>I'm not seeing why SEELE would lead a direct attack on NERV HQ if they weren't at odds with it
Because they were at odds with Nerv. What are you even trying to argue?

>She's NERV's commanding officer
Yeah? And she does her job while trying to figure out what alterior motives Gendo has, because as it turns out, both he and Seele are thinking beyond saving the world.

>There's also Ritsuko who's got a family trait of backstabbing Gendo
Her mom doesn't really backstab gendo at all; at most she kills Rei I, which turns out not to mean a whole lot. Ritsuko falls into a personal trap of falling in love with Gendo and tries to backstab him because of it, but that doesn't make her a double triple agent.

>How is that not something to be confused over?
I'm giving you explanations for things, not saying you have no right to be confused about things.
>organization is okay when thing goes completely wrong, lol, fuck it
Things did not go completely wrong. As I said, it was close enough so they went for it. Ultimately, it backfired against them.
>>
>>149998896
Almost as if he is following the situation and has info Seele wouldn't. What you think is pretty obvious is apparently pretty wrong since Rei deciding is entirely explicit and an essential part of the plot.

It keeps happening!
>>
File: treerei.png (117KB, 657x598px) Image search: [Google]
treerei.png
117KB, 657x598px
I rewatched the Rebuilds not too long ago, and I noticed something : each of the rebuilds draws its soul from one of Anno's great works. 1.11 is pure and simple early NGE, with little influence from his other works. 2.22 is very Gunbuster-ish, what with the actual somewhat healthy romance going on, the SoL like segments, and the honest to god hypefest friendship power battles. And 3.33 is totally a big old homage to Nadia : secret of the Blue Water.

I expect 3.0+1.0 to honor Anno's greatest work, the latter half of NGE and EoE. My body is ready.
>>
>>149998998
>I'm giving you explanations for things, not saying you have no right to be confused about things.
Fair enough. Though the whole premise of the argument was that >>149996586
>I hate how people say they dont understand Eva
When, apparently, there are points that can't be uniformly understood due to the lack of an official explanation in the series
>>
>>149991841
Faggot.
>>
>>149999446
3+1.0 is going to be Kare Kano inspired actually
>>
>>149999468
Well I'm not that person.

You said the things that are hard to understand are the objective plot of the show rather than the message it presents, and I offered you explanations for those. With the exception of the reason why the Angels target Tokyo-3, I answered your questions well enough, and I think the argument for why they attack Tokyo-3 has enough to back it up that it prevails as the strongest reason for it.

The point is that, even with the plain plot of the series, there is plenty that you can understand.
>>
File: 0fpyhSf.jpg (54KB, 615x461px) Image search: [Google]
0fpyhSf.jpg
54KB, 615x461px
>>149991791
WTF MAN WHY ARE YOU ASKING THE MEANING OF A SHOW JUST WATCH IT YOU FUCKING TROGLODYTE THAT'S YOUR EXPLANATION JUST WATCH IT AND IT'S OBVIOUS. FUCK.
>>
>>149999225
>Almost as if he is following the situation and has info Seele wouldn't.
How exactly wouldn't SEELE know that they're starting a world-ending ritual around an eva that has a NERV pilot inside it? I suppose they would also know that they haven't secured Lilith either so for all they know Gendo could be deep throating it to a Beatles song at the moment.

It's almost as if the whole thing doesn't make sense to begin with
>>
>>149998419
>They picked up a signal and followed it hoping it was Adam
I have to wonder if they searched Antarctica first. That'd be cute
>>
File: asuka_VS_rei_41.jpg (189KB, 1200x1724px) Image search: [Google]
asuka_VS_rei_41.jpg
189KB, 1200x1724px
>>149998077
>>
>>149999773
That's not the part that they had to know. They just didn't expect the literal Goddess of their cult to be swayed by the dumbass pilot. They provided the instruments for her use thinking it would go their way.
>>
Main message of Evangelion is that interpersonal relationships are worthwhile, even if people end up hurting each other. It is worth it for those times when people don't and good things happen.

Anno basically used Eva as a way of coping with and getting over his depression.
>>
File: AS_068.jpg (25KB, 504x480px) Image search: [Google]
AS_068.jpg
25KB, 504x480px
>>149999636
That was 2.0. The music during the aquarium, Impact flashback, and Asuka and Shinji's pillowtalk were all Kare Kano tracks. That other tree sucks and is wrong.
>>
>>149999446
>>150000599
Where is this from? Girlfriend of Steel?
>>
>>149998202

You can argue that it doesn't really matter what Anno envisioned when he created Eva. The "Death of the Author" school of analysis basically states that if you can convincingly argue that a given piece of art is about X, then it is about X, no matter what the author was thinking.
>>
File: aku 3.jpg (88KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
aku 3.jpg
88KB, 1280x720px
>>150000492
>as a way of coping with and getting over his depression.
I hate this pretentious ass phrase so much
>>
You are the person you are because of the people around you and the same goes for everyone else.
>>
>>150000681

What about it?
>>
File: softpink.jpg (101KB, 452x640px) Image search: [Google]
softpink.jpg
101KB, 452x640px
>>150000599
>2.0 Kare Kano
Hmm, then I'd be pretty fucking down for a Gunbuster 4.0.
>>
File: AE033C.jpg (53KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
AE033C.jpg
53KB, 640x480px
>>150000658
Princess Maker
>>
>>150000740
I've heard it so many times when people talk about eva and punpun and and it never gets explained or mean anything. much like everything else they say about it.
>>
File: Manly rockers.gif (3MB, 225x155px) Image search: [Google]
Manly rockers.gif
3MB, 225x155px
>>149996364
>>Rei learns what love is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raNGeq3_DtM
>>
>>150000812
Oh thanks. Almost didn't get it
>>
being normal isn't that bad
>>
File: 1469815942017.png (146KB, 576x384px) Image search: [Google]
1469815942017.png
146KB, 576x384px
>>150000762
It's Godzilla. The theme's been Anno works with Sagisu, they ran out of collaborations to reference and had to make another movie first.
>>
File: jacket.jpg (833KB, 1500x717px) Image search: [Google]
jacket.jpg
833KB, 1500x717px
What do EVA fans think of FSN and its deep themes?
>>
>>150001864
Kara no Kyoukai has more DEEB and it's still a nice little book with a great adaptation.
>>
File: ED016.jpg (61KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ED016.jpg
61KB, 640x480px
>>150000658
idk

Here's a bunch of pic tho

http://g.e-hentai.org/g/992816/162beffa5b/
http://g.e-hentai.org/g/992878/d2b60e3fc1/
http://g.e-hentai.org/g/992825/335bfd47d0/
http://g.e-hentai.org/g/992887/532aa722b4/
http://g.e-hentai.org/g/992841/5a26204287/
>>
>>150001864
REEEEEEEEEEEE CASUAL FATEFAGS GET OUT OF MY THREAD

HF movie when? And Tohsaka best fategirl.[\spoiler]
>>
>>150001864
I'm biased against eroge and can't judge it fairly for some reason.
>>
>>149991791
Self-love
>>
File: luvia.jpg (78KB, 300x297px) Image search: [Google]
luvia.jpg
78KB, 300x297px
>>150001935
TOHSAKA PLEASES OLD MEN FOR MONEY

OHOHOHOHOHO
>>
>>150001950
What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8EQ69A9M9Y
>>
File: sl.jpg (29KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
sl.jpg
29KB, 720x480px
>>150001951
>>
>>150002024
I think that I can't stop relating that style and those sound effects to back when I was a rapist in Tsukihime
>>
>>150002329
https://youtu.be/MEVJp7k_ijA

Type-Moon's best work in my opinion
>>
>>150002521
I probably enjoyed it the most too.
Only one to get me hype too
>>
>>149998311
Fucking Sause?
>>
>>149994671
But that's wrong, the message is that it's okay to run away
>>
File: that feel is calling.png (13KB, 300x75px) Image search: [Google]
that feel is calling.png
13KB, 300x75px
>>150002103
>>
>>150003212
>>149998311
fucking kek
it's from fargo season one great show btw
>>
>>149991791

Everyone dies alone, but what truly matters is inner peace.

Look, I'm not a deep thinker. But watching the show blind, my conclusion was that Shinji had gone mad and the world had ended. The last two episodes were about him resolving his issues before moving on to the afterlife.

I mean, we saw Misato and Ritsuko dead. That's pretty conclusive. Obviously something catastrophic happened.
>>
File: reiacut.gif (1020KB, 500x650px) Image search: [Google]
reiacut.gif
1020KB, 500x650px
>>150003774
Have you seen EoE?
>>
>>150003923

Yes, but that was years later. My thoughts at the time were "Well, it makes sense. Without Shinji, they all died in the next Angel attack. It had to happen eventually."
>>
>>149991791
"Do your best to not be a faggot."

Alternatively:

"We need others in our lives. Not just for companionship, but also to help define our own interpretation of ourselves through the critiques of others."
>>
File: I Need You.jpg (10KB, 449x248px) Image search: [Google]
I Need You.jpg
10KB, 449x248px
>>150004063
That's pretty damn good
>>
Shinji should've stayed home
>>
>>150000681
Have you ever struggled with depression? I have, so I'll try to sort out this conjecture.

Everybody know Anno was depressed while making Evangelion. When you are depressed, you tend to want to isolate yourself from others, partly because you don't want them to discover the pain you carry because you are embarrassed by your weakness, and partly because you want to spare others from the pain you feel, because pain can be contagious. So you lock yourself away from others. They don't understand what you're going through, and you don't want them to; it would only cause them pain. This is how Anno felt while writing Evangelion. He wanted to shut out others.

But he knew that shutting out others was self destructive. So, he wrote EVA to convince himself that interpersonal relationships are a good thing and healthy for him. By writing an ending in which Shinji learns to appreciate himself and that human interaction, while sometimes negative, is better for us in the long run, and THEN inserting himself into Shinji's shoes, Anno tried to teach himself these lessons. He knew these lessons already, but being depressed made it hard for him to act on them without having someone else experience them first. It's like an addict who recognizes they have a problem and knows how to deal with it, but can't bring themselves to kick their addiction without the help of others. Anno substituted his characters for the "others". He essentially learned by Shinji's example.

Sorry if that was incoherent.
>>
>>150004810
Thanks. I basically stole it from Mother's Basement's EoE video.
>>
>>150007133
Have you tried sudoStef videos?
He is getting better with time.

https://www.youtube.com/user/OMG1234Stefan
>>
>>150007330
>>150007133

https://youtu.be/Nidp1YR0joo
>>
Don't maaturbate, procreate
>>
Who are you? Literally. Self-identity is only found within yourself. What makes you important or how you get to make relationships. Why are you alive? Basically, just big bashes of existentialism mixed with some other themes. Probably one of the most philosophical series I have ever seen.

>Doesn't make it good or bad, just makes it '"there"
>>
>>150007330
>>150007372
My bad, I actually did mean sudoStef. I get the two confused sometimes. I like Stef's content, but I dislike his voice. I like MB better due to his narration.
>>
>>150007133
He has an EoE video? I've watched most of his stuff and I don't know how I'd miss that
>>
>>150008069
I'm fine with his voice, he needs to have "focus" in his videos.
>>
>>150008069
Mother's basement does have a fucking great voice I could listen to him talk about anything. Too bad he only reviews newer anime except for naruto for whatever reason.
>>
File: A_Smile_of_Betrayal.png (788KB, 985x644px) Image search: [Google]
A_Smile_of_Betrayal.png
788KB, 985x644px
Separation is a necessary part of being. Without "others" for you to interact with, painfully and pleasurably, there's no "you". You might try to run away from this, try to only keep the good and not the bad, but that is dishonest and foolish, because you're only running away from yourself and what you are. Ultimately it's your choice to stay in this world or not. It might seem like there's a wall between you and others at times, but in a way those walls are the most real parts of you there are; just don't pretend you're a saint, because living means killing and being by/through those walls.

>>150001864
It's great. A different but still perfectly valid sublimation of the otaku condition in comparison to Eva.
>>
>>150008475
>except for naruto for whatever reason.
money
>>
>>150008101
See
>>150008069
>>
>>150008101
>>150009196
diff anon,
try this
https://youtu.be/6ngsZ4pvyww

>literally his first video,
>>
>>150009288
Yeah I've seen all of sudostef's videos and have been subscribed for awhile. He probably make the best videos about eva
>>
File: ha.png (11KB, 432x175px) Image search: [Google]
ha.png
11KB, 432x175px
>>150009288
kek
>>
File: 1467156890152.gif (654KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1467156890152.gif
654KB, 480x270px
>>149991791
Nothing really matters.

That's also the reason people frantically search for deeper meaning, because they don't want to accept the fact that everything in the show was pointless, and that everything in their own life is pointless.

What a crazy world :^)
>>
>>150009553
The show spent its last two episodes explaining itself. If people search for deeper meanings its because they can't see what's in front of them, not because the show isn't saying anything.
>>
>>150009643
This. The main reason people often have trouble explaining Eva is that the best explanation is the anime. People are just fucking idiots who refuse to put in any effort into interpreting something themselves
>>
>>150009889
>>150009643
no the real reason nobody understands the meaning is that the true meaning was directed towards a specific group of japanese people which do not even exist in the western world
so when you try and translate something that has no place in western culture it comes out as pretentious dribble

tl;dr lost in translation/cultural barriers
>>
>>149999999
Hey thar.
>>
>>150010095
What the fuck are you basing this claim off of? Are you fucking japanese?
>>
File: 1470873291725.png (95KB, 233x255px) Image search: [Google]
1470873291725.png
95KB, 233x255px
>>150010095
The only serious problem the """West""" had with Eva was overthinking the Judeo-Christian imagery. Everything else was something depressive people could understand with some thought. It's true that many of those things are related to otakudom, but they are nowhere near exclusive of it. Take Rei for example: sure she's a commentary on waifuism, but what she's about in relation to Shinji is applicable to anyone who's had a sever case of oneitis.

Will you understand Eva how it was "intended"? What does that mean exactly? Gainax's vision? Anno's? When in Anno's life? Do you think Anno knows everything there is to know about his own work? Because that is never really the case with authors. And if there's a group of people he can't stop criticizing on not getting what he's saying it's his "intended audience". You're also forgetting Eva wasn't popular with only otaku to begin with.
>>
>>150010202
>>150010380
oh okay you guys are right

the real meaning in eva is "understand others and everything will be alright"

literally the most basic boring message in any story ever

eva isnt deep its exactly the opposite
>>
>>150010445
If that's all you get out of it you're just as dense as Shinji
>>
>>150010482
then please direct me to your post that explains the meaning so that i can be enlightened

i interpreted a lot out of the series, i just don't find any of it to be particularly note worthy or meaningful
>>
>>150009643
>>150009889
>>
File: 1479138667564.png (266KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1479138667564.png
266KB, 600x600px
>>150010445
>I can't keep bitching in a logical way so I'm just going to be a reductionist and debase the work instead of the fanbase.
Go listen to Linkin Park or something.
>>
File: unnamed.png (122KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
122KB, 300x300px
>>150010517
Here you go.
>>
>>150010445
What the fuck is deep then, nigger? What do YOU think is deep? Oh wait, you didn't understand the show yourself and are just parroting some half-assed explanation you found on yahoo answers.
>>
i was genuinely curious as to what your explanation would be and you don't even have one

guess im the idiot
>>
>>150010767
I'm not the guy you're talking to but here: >>150008599

Try to bring something into the discussion next time.
>>
>>150010767
What do you want? Do you want me to give you an abridged version of eva that you can understand?
>>
>>150008599
>your notion of existence is wrong
gee never heard that one before
>you should accept yourself and your problems
seriously?
>before you commit suicide consider other people's feelings
come on man
>even though someone may resent you, you are still an important part of their life
no one in the west has a problem developing an understanding of this, only socially inept japs have this problem or train of thought
>its kill or be killed
is this a saturday morning cartoon?
>>
Here's this thing I got on my last watch.

The series was all about the characters acting like hedgehogs and never opening up to each other and then suffering because of it. They were all alone whenever they most needed someone by their side. Then on Rebuild they're all given a second chance, and they actually start telling each other everything they had bottled up, they tell each other what they think and feel, Asuka is more open about wanting to frig Shinji, Misato tells shinji that she's just projecting herself onto him, Rei blocks Asuka's slap to the face and is generally a lot more human, etc etc, it's all very heartwarming but it results in Shinji getting along a bit too well with Rei and then trying to save her instead of letting her die and get replaced by a clone, which in turn results in third fucking impact and everything being fucked and everyone turning on poor Shinji.
What is Mr. Anno trying to tell us?
>>
File: 1410160312264.png (137KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1410160312264.png
137KB, 600x450px
>>150011113
Not wrong, just incomplete and derived from wishful thinking.

Well, you must if you want to do something about it.

I didn't say that at all.

Again not my point.

Again not my point.

But anyway, your posts are pretty ugly Anon. You attack whatever vulnerability you see. Do you need a safe space? There's no need to be so vicious.
>>
>>150011113
Even if you are this clueless and can't interpret that post let alone the show you should still at least should be able to emphasize with the characters.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (139KB, 400x1231px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
139KB, 400x1231px
>>150011250
If you don't open up to others, you'll be hated.
If you do open up others, you'll still be hated.
>>
>>150011385
Man, Anno needs some fucking counseling.
>>
File: 1475460274487.png (506KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1475460274487.png
506KB, 500x375px
>>150011385
It's like the way people feel depends mostly on them and not you. Whoa.
>>
File: sad shinji.jpg (109KB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
sad shinji.jpg
109KB, 1920x816px
>>150011385
With a pattern like that, 3.0+1.0's message will probably be something like
>Live for yourself and what you think is right, regardless of feedback or consequences

At least that what it looked like was being touched on when Shinji went aggro in 3.33.
>>
Why did the angel from Asuka's debut episode attacked them when they were in the middle of the sea instead of following the usual plan of trying to reach the crucified mashmallow thing? I get that "he was after unit 02", but why? It seems to me like a typical "Rita only ever attacks the city where the power rangers live" situation. They always try to keep Shinji around in case of an angel attack, but on this day he just happened to be allowed to go on an excursion with his pals to the place where the angel would attack.
>>
>>150011662
Adam was secretly on the ship and he was what the angel was really after. I'm pretty sure Gendo say's something about it that episode.
>>
>>150011662
>>150011836
The official plan wasn't to get Adam (marshmallow) it was to get Asuka
>>
File: Cse83AKWYAArk7r.jpg (80KB, 1079x1078px) Image search: [Google]
Cse83AKWYAArk7r.jpg
80KB, 1079x1078px
>>150002019
Rin is pissed don't talk shit about best girl
>>
File: m47q8RK.jpg (722KB, 1442x1614px) Image search: [Google]
m47q8RK.jpg
722KB, 1442x1614px
What is your favorite Evangelion scene/moment?
>>
>>150012076
That scene when Shinji and Rei have a chat before the sniper mission. That shot of Rei saying "Sayonara" with the full moon behind her feels so iconic.
>>
>>149991791
Humans are shitbags. People who overthink that pseudo-biblical tripe need to grow a brain.
>>
>>150012076
https://sakugabooru.com/data/f1c9b8685dfdab19fbf68bcd98857d45.webm
>>
>>150011250
Impacts start earlier in Rebuild because Shinji personally has some new ability to fuckstart evas. If TV Shinji had that he'd have used it in 19, 22, and 23.
>>
File: 1451693149233.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1451693149233.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>150012076
>Anywhere can be paradise, as long as you have the will to live.
>>
>>150012076
This >>150012560
Otherwise the berserk scenes against Zeruel.
>>
>>150012560
I can't even hear this song without tearing up
https://youtu.be/DK4FTvaW_6Q
>>
>>149991791
That you can fool anybody into thinking your generic mecha shit is deep if you heap on religious imagery.

Too bad it doesn't work in the west, or Batman v Superman would have been a sensation.
>>
>>150012978
literally no one in any discussion in this thread have mentioned religious imagery even once except the people accusing it of pretending to be deep.I'd say it's you who doesn't understand if you are thinking the religious stuff is what makes it deep despite literally no one actually thinking that.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AY27gLWhtM

She didn't go down without a fight.
>>
>>150012978
It's not like the religious imagery is there for no reason. The show offers an alternate origin story for life on earth so there actually is correlation with the christian myth. So it's like they're saying that in the world of NGE, the bible was somewhat inspired by real events. There's nothing more to it than that.
Not to mention the religious themes weren't the only reason people call the show deep.

Saying NGE isn't deep is basically just being a contrarian.
>>
Is Eva the true litmus test for any discerning anon of mature taste?

You go from thinking it is the DEEPEST shit ever as a teenager, to disparaging the show because you want to fit in with the shitposters, to finally being able to understand the show and why it's great.
>>
>>149991841
This is pretty much the point of the series after episode 16 or so. Before that Togashi didn't really know what he was going for.
>>
>>149997648
These answers are available online, Anno didn't really answer them in the series itself but gave explanations to video game developers later on
>>
http://forum.evageeks org/thread/15461/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-is-an-Occult-Grimoire/
>>
>>150012076
The entirety of asuka's death in eoe, from fetal position at the bottom of the lake until unit 02 gets its guts torn out.
It's my favourite scene(s) in all of fiction by a long shot, it just hits my subjective notes so well.
>>
>>149991791
Terminal Dogma is pretty deep beneath the GeoFront.
>>
File: 1479180012954.jpg (129KB, 1024x1766px) Image search: [Google]
1479180012954.jpg
129KB, 1024x1766px
>>149991791
You will never look at other people with the same look.

Also you will be constantly disapointed because there is no Asuka in this Realm.
>>
File: 1479516872699.gif (393KB, 200x230px) Image search: [Google]
1479516872699.gif
393KB, 200x230px
>>150008599
>Separation is a necessary part of being.
'Literally' Adorno tier.
>>
Life and other people suck but you may as well keep existing since you have nothing better to do.
>>
people are indespensible and anything can be carried on.

life is turbulent but if you continue on your course you'll only come to the conclusion you never should have started

starting is only a beginning, the journey is the end and death is rebirth

death can only breach dogma if you break down its walls periodically

only once that happens can the instrumentality project be implemented
>>
As long as the earth, the sun and the moon exist, you can be happy.
You can be happy wherever you are, stop sulking and put in the effort to smile.
Also 'stop watching anime faggot and go live your life' is also a message I got.
Really the whole show was kinda hodgepodged together with some philosophy thrown in but hey, the show ended being good so it doesn't matter.
>>
File: 1461365771203.png (228KB, 358x408px) Image search: [Google]
1461365771203.png
228KB, 358x408px
>>150013553
Everyone tends to think it's teh DEEPEST shit ever as a teenager because they are conditioned to think the show that gives the most feels = the deepest. It's very emotional indeed, but clarity should be important, and the two impressions should be separated during any kinds of analysis/appreciation/etc.

Maybe it's partly Anno's fault though, as I sense that he still secretly believes in 'outdated' romanticist tendencies, despite appearing 'contemporary'. For example, he seems to waver a lot regarding his position for the ability of the spectator to identify emotionally with the characters. In some memorable scenes it's almost as if the film or the show encourage the spectator to identify in totality with Shinji's emotional outbursts. It means that the spectator will be swallowed in pure emotion or even catharsis, so much that he loses his ability to think critically, because there is no mental distance between the spectator and the art. This event would be counter-productive to any attempts of genuine reflection during the show or the film.

The other interpretation is that he deliberately tricks the spectator with the above scheme. That would put the work in a very ironic and cynical sense. Like, Shinji decides to follow his own feelings and then he proceeds to ruin everything. But that is what Anno wants you to think, and what he wants to think of himself. In truth, he's just a hopeless romantic.
>>
File: Seele_meeting_Ikari.png (190KB, 642x361px) Image search: [Google]
Seele_meeting_Ikari.png
190KB, 642x361px
>>150014754
I wonder who's behind this post
Thread posts: 160
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.