[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /a/ hate self inserting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: 014.png (69KB, 579x689px) Image search: [Google]
014.png
69KB, 579x689px
Why does /a/ hate self inserting?
>>
>>149843910
it's sort of lazy and bad writing
>>
I believe they reason why /a/ and Japan hate self inserting is because they lack emotional intelligence to self insert as complex or troubled characters.

Characters that are easy to self insert, like perverts or "smart" or powerful characters are generally more popular, just look at all those novels about x guy travels to x world, like KonoSuba as an example.

Similar to why they hate NTR, You'd think that someone smart would self insert as the one stealing the girl but most people actually self insert as the dormant beta buy, beside the guys that actually have a fetish for getting NTR'd.
>>
Because only the most pathetic fags self insert.
>>
File: 1478331015290.jpg (99KB, 944x712px) Image search: [Google]
1478331015290.jpg
99KB, 944x712px
>>149844521
>>
File: YYAYAEYEAY.jpg (115KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
YYAYAEYEAY.jpg
115KB, 1280x720px
>>149844414

10/10 post good night gentlelads
>>
Because that is the point of anime. To self insert. People who hate self insert are usually normalfags who wants anime to be like their western movie or comics that they think it's superior. Good thing that Nips don't give a fuck about them.
>>
>>149843910
I just don't like self-inserting as a lame beta bitch boy. What's the point in self-inserting as myself?
>>
I self-insert as the little girl.
>>
>>149844714
Because it's fiction not fantasy. You don't get to reroll as anything else.
>>
>>149843910
>>149838982
>>
>>149844770
I self-insert into the little girl.
>>
>>149845701
What did you mean by this?
>>
true self insertion is imbalanced and skews the narrative in favor of the main character to the extent that it undermines other characters and its world.

on /a/ it's used to describe a character a poster doesn't like or can't identify with
>>
>>149844770
>>149846205
I do both at the same time.
>>
>>149843910
It leads to everyman "just a regular guy" characters, which is boring as shit most of the time.
>>
>>149843910
Taken to an extreme it is unhealthy. And it can lead to repetitive and boring characters.
>>
>>149846322
only real answer in this thread
>>
>>149846484
Marche please go.
>>
>>149846529
montblanc pls go
>>
>>149843910
It's shit. I want the character to be interesting, not to take me by the hand like a kid.
>>
I see the accusation "self-insert" thrown around a lot when the MC is succeeding with little or no obstacles. Especially if he has some flaw which never gets in the way of anything, and it's one the author shares, or one the audience is supposed to share. It looks more like wish fulfillment than putting your honest self into a story.
>>
>>149846322
>true self insertion is imbalanced and skews the narrative in favor of the main character to the extent that it undermines other characters and its world.
What's wrong with this? It is an obligation to the viewers that they need to treat each side character fairly without having any complaints about their actions on the main character? If a character is being a dick he is being a dick regardless whether it's directed towards the self insert MC or not.
>>
>>149843910
It's a meme you, dip. Do what you like.
>>
>>149844240
/thread
>>
>>149846892
/a/ usually tells me I'm enjoying my chinese cartoons incorrectly though.
>>
>>149846941
You probably are you faggot.

The only way to enjoy anime is the way I tell you to.
>>
>>149846995
How?
>>
>>149846941
If you are enjoying anything then you are doing it incorrectly. Keep up, kid.
>>
>>149847077
You seem to enjoy shitposting on /a/ though, senpai.
>>
>>149844414
t. cluck
>>
File: Best Boy.jpg (677KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Best Boy.jpg
677KB, 1920x1080px
>>149843910
Because instead of making a character that I naturally cheer for as I can identify with them, authors (mostly Jap ones) take it as an excuse to make the MC/prominent side character a boring blank slate.

How many Manga/LN have you read that show a picture of the MC and then say "HE'S SO AVERAGE LOL" before listing off the obligatory CUHRAZY cast of females?

That's why the character in your OP image, Ishigami, is so great. He's anything BUT a blank slate yet he has strong traits, hobbies, and faults to him that you can't help but love him.
>>
>>149846941
Then do what you like, but do it correctly this time
>>
>>149843910
I think it depends on what you constitute as self-inserting. In a way, I self insert as one of my OCs because I created her and her entire story based around my own life in hopes that I could share my life experiences and bring hope to others struggling with the same thing. A few other OCs have elements of my personality/my life but I don't really self insert as them.

People in /snk/ claim Armin as the author's self insert and I think there's perhaps elements of it but it's mostly just the author failing to make Armin suffer actual consequences of his (rare) fuck ups. Others call him a Gary-Stu, which I completely disagree with.

Self-inserts can be done well, but seldom are. They can be mistaken for Mary Sues/Gary Stus but there's a difference. Though they can be both at the same time.

>>149846845
That's an interesting perspective. With the /snk/ character I mentioned above, he absolutely has flaws and has been shown them but they have yet to really debilitate him. He gets rescued from his flaws all the time. His failings' consequences are merely only temporary. For example, he uses the same trick twice on another character and he doesn't fall for it. Armin breaks down at his failure to lure the other character into his trap and can't handle the pressure so he begs Jean to be the squad leader instead of him. Jean is forced to lead while Armin has a panic attack and this very easily could have been used to have real consequences, but in the end Armin pulls through just in time to get his shit together and take back his position. Some say that makes him a Gary Stu but I think it just makes him a victim of bad writing. And a little bit of a self-insert if he can fuck up that badly and have nobody die on his watch. Except himself.
>>
>>149847268
Is there a manual on this?
>>
>>149847198
>proceeds to post a blank slate himself
>>
>>149847334
Of course not. Every time you fail, we hit you with a stick. Eventually you'll either get aroused from pain and failure or learn to do things correctly. Either are acceptable solutions.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.