[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else kinda miss the original Dragonball series? It

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: Anime-Dragon-Ball-50-0.jpg (565KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Anime-Dragon-Ball-50-0.jpg
565KB, 1920x1080px
Does anyone else kinda miss the original Dragonball series? It was incredibly laid back and calm compared to Z and Super which are just stupidly over the top.
>>
What's there to miss? You can always go back and watch the old episodes.
>>
I miss the smaller gaps in power levels when the other characters were relevant and it wasn't The Super Saiyan Show starring Goku and Vegeta
>>
>>149620593
This
>>
>>149620593
There's not a single point in Dragonball when it doesn't completely revolve around Goku. If anything, Vegeta, Gohan and Trunks being relevant was the change.
>>
>>149619355
>laid back and calm
Seriously?
>>
>>149620224
>>149620224
>
>>
>>149619355
Right here, saiyan-anon-kun.
I used to go to Toei Anime Fair yearly with my mom to see a DBZ movie.
DB Vol.31 was the first comic book I bought in my life.
I still enjoy some old stuff, but I no longer watch a new series of DB.
>>
Everything before Taopaipai was mediocre. Things didn't get truly great until Vegeta. I love the whole thing though (Except General Blue, fuck him).
>>
Yes.
A mix between DB and DBZ would be my perfect anime.
DBS is soulless and terrible. A mockery.
>>
This flyer brings me back so many memories.
When anime was really great, and relevant to the general public, not autistic self-described nerds who spend all days jerking off to moe shit.
What went wrong. i sigh.
>>
File: tumblr_n91pcs1pzY1tssy69o6_1280.jpg (37KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n91pcs1pzY1tssy69o6_1280.jpg
37KB, 640x360px
>>149626328
>Acting like there weren't tons of shitty anime in 1994

ok
>>
>>149619355
Z is Dragon Ball, you moron. Its just Part II.
>>
>>149626414
Atleast anime was prime-time program for all-ages back then.
Now it all fell down to morning or late-night, the hours only social misfits watch.
>>
Watched a little bit of Z as a kid, but never really got into the series. Started watching DB recently and it's been pretty enjoyable. First two arcs were pretty good, but Red Ribbon Army isn't doing much for me (might be the lack of Bulma). I really like the worldbuilding too. It's this weird mix of prehistoric post-apocalyptic that still manages to be comfy.
>>
>>149619355
>laid back and calm
Confirmed for not having actually watched or read Dragonball.
>>
>>149619355
Yeah. Scifi action was gaining in popularity though so Z had to happen.
I watched DB first by chance even though I'm a united statesican and I'm better for it. I had fun with Z too but it quickly lost it's way after frieza. No more time spent adventuring and meeting cool characters.
The clever fight choreography quickly replaced by screaming laser matches.
No more werewolves, dinosaurs, mermaids or mummies.
The scenery got depressingly bland as well.
>>149626652
What is tonal shift and genre change?
>>
>>149627197

>not wanting to retire in Kame House with Lunch cooking you meals and occasionally trying to murder you

I can't think of a more laid back lifestyle.
>>
Yeah I like Dragon Ball, but I wouldn't have enjoyed either DB or DBZ as much if I had not had the happy adventures of Dragon Ball to set up DBZ, and the constantly increasing scale and tension throughout the entire series up to the epic climax at the end of the Frieza saga. It's really as soon as Goku gets back to earth that everything goes to shit. All of a sudden Frieza and King Cold job to Trunks, and you know it's going to overplay Super Saiyan and ruin the weight of the original scene. Also, up til that point gathering the Dragon Balls had been the main focus. Throughout the Namek saga and the Freiza saga, the Dragon Balls were the central plot point. It was in the cell saga that they became nothing but easy access plot devices.

Watching from the early stages of Gokus childhood and seeing him grow in age and power until he finally takes on and surpasses the most powerful being in the universe, to become the most powerful himself, is an incredible journey.
>>
>>149627727
Well said, the only people that seem to disagree happened to start watching as soon as trunks arrived.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMCE-nHLYr8

think that super could be better but the Battle of Gods movie is one of the best things to come from Dragon Ball
>>
>>149619355
yeah remind me my early childhood
>>
>>149628690
I disagree and I started with chapter 1. Fuck off.
>>
>goku going super saiyan takes a full episode
>in the manga it took 1 page
kek
>>
>>149628883

they need to fill time. sometimes it's padded to the extent that it's boring but other times it's immersive and helps build tension
>>
yeah...

the difference between DB and DBZ/Super is like night and day really

its amazing how fondly some people remember the Namek arc when in reality it was the most garbage thing in the whole series and basically ruined it forever
that was when Toriyama realized he could do entire story arcs made up of nothing but pointless running around with even more pointless fights scattered throughout

and even other shonen still can't really capture the same feeling as DB
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.