[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anime Producer Explains Why Second Seasons Don't Happen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 10

File: ba.gif (1MB, 500x529px) Image search: [Google]
ba.gif
1MB, 500x529px
Anime Producer Explains Why Second Seasons Don't Happen

http://goboiano.com/list/5373-anime-producer-explains-why-second-seasons-don%2527t-happen

>If a manga is selling by the truckloads, then it has it made! Naturally, people will start expecting a second season. Even if the manga sells, but not a even 1 yen goes back to the anime company → the Blu-ray discs do not sell → there is no way a second season will be made.

>What if you sell a lot of licensed merchandise from the show? Royalties from anime merchandise is just a small percentage of the total revenue. If you sell 10 million yen worth of merchandise, only a few hundred thousand yen will go to the anime company. If you do not sell a lot of merchandise, then it would not be a large sum. In the end, it is tough if the Blu-ray discs do not sell.

>A second season being brought up by a production committee only happens in the best cases. Most committees do not even talk about a second season. They look at the 3rd or 4th Blu-ray volume and calculate if they can minimize their losses. Even streaming, which was supposed to be a ray of hope, is not strong enough to be a money maker...

>Some heavy stuff. It really doesn't matter how popular an anime is, how much critics love it, or how deep the story is. If those Blu-rays don't sell, your fav show will never get anything more than a single season.
>>
We already had this thread yesterday and all the days before.

>implying BD sales matters
>>
>>149599040
So what the fuck DOES matter? The way it was phrased it comes off as if "we're just trying to minimize losses all the time".
>>
>If those Blu-rays don't sell, your fav show will never get anything more than a single season.
Yeah I know that.
>>
                         M A N D O M
>>
Anime industrys business model is horrible, we already know that.
Lets hope it crashes soon so it can revamp itself.
>>
Anime is a stagnant industry, more news at eleven. What's funny is streamfags thinking you're 'supporting' the industry by paying for simulcasts. Bet most kids nowadays don't remember or even know the roots of crunchyroll.
>>
>>149599095
The manga that the company will sell after the season advertised it enough.
>>
>>149599268
Fuck
>>
>>149599040
Then what about those shows that sell a lot of BDs but don't get a S2 or even an OVA?

I'm looking at you, Maou-sama.
>>
>>149599040
>keep making one season animes that don't sell blu-rays
>instead of just doubling down on good franchises and building an actual fanbase
>>
>>149599865
>1st season sells well
>every following season sells less and less because new animes always sell more
>>
>>149599945
maybe don't make shit anime with predictable second (and usually first) seasons
>>
File: fu.jpg (21KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
fu.jpg
21KB, 320x320px
>>149599095

fujo pandering
>>
>>149599040
I think that we all realize we each of us are already aware that everybody knew that this is common knowledge by now
>>
>>149599040
Then why did SZS get three seasons?
>>
File: 123195541353.jpg (51KB, 590x590px) Image search: [Google]
123195541353.jpg
51KB, 590x590px
>>149599040
What is advertising?
>>
>charge $100 for two episodes
>complain about low sales
>>
File: anime_market.jpg (416KB, 1448x454px) Image search: [Google]
anime_market.jpg
416KB, 1448x454px
>>149599040
If Anime produces are mainly relying on BD Sales they are doing it horribly wrong
>>
>>149607356
I have never understood why they think this is a good plan.
>>
>>149607523
Because if they sell for 10 bucks you won't get 10 times as much sales.
>>
Don't studios need to pay stations to air their shows on TV, not the other way around in Japan? Also, a major problem is that they're still stuck in a 70s/80s business model for the most part, where they rely on a heavy niche group to pay for their expenses, even though anime is in no way niche anymore.
>>
>>149607627
No I mean selling the series in chunks like that before releasing the full box.
>>
>>149607655
Outside few exceptions like Ghibli, anime is very niche in Japan
>>
>>149607712
>anime is very niche in Japan

I sometimes think most of /a/ doesn't realize this. Manga isn't niche but anime is outside of morning/kid shows.
>>
>>149599040
Tl;dr easily summarizes in "hurr durr it's because money duh", it's not rocket science.
>>
>>149599040
>>A second season being brought up by a production committee only happens in the best cases. Most committees do not even talk about a second season. They look at the 3rd or 4th Blu-ray volume and calculate if they can minimize their losses. Even streaming, which was supposed to be a ray of hope, is not strong enough to be a money maker...

>Even streaming, which was supposed to be a ray of hope, is not strong enough to be a money maker...
Despite the pants on head retarded business decisions that some japanese companies make, this is interesting.

Wherever or whenever you spend your dollaroos is up to you, but if you can buy something and choose not to, its equally pants on head retarded bitching on "s2 when?" threads.
>>
>revenues at all-time high
>increased when disc sales went down

really makes you think
>>
How much western studios are reliant on bd sales?
They all seem to make most of their money before that stage.
>>
>>149599865
Well that's already a thing. I mean, look at all the stuff that gets good time slots.

>>149599347
>Anime industrys business model is horrible, we already know that.
>Lets hope it crashes soon so it can revamp itself.
It WILL happen, just a matter of time. The question is what will come afterwards. That's the scary part.
>>
>>149607375
>internet distribution is dwarfed by pachinko
>>
>>149599095
That exactly how business works Anon.

1.Minimize loss as much as possible
2.Profit
>>
>>149599040
If anime BDs were a third or less of the ungodly prices they go for here in the west I'd probably own dozens of shows, but I am just not going to pay $50 for 3 episodes.
>>
>>149610826
>I am just not going to pay $50 for 3 episodes.
That's the biggest issue.

No fucking shit they want people to buy blu-rays, if every fan forked over $200 for one season of course a show will be successful. That's a horrible expectation to have though.
>>
>>149610826
>$50 for 3 episodes.
see >>149607356
>>
>>149599040
I confess I have almost never imported BDs from moonland, most of the BDs I have are localized BDs from Rightstuf or Amazon since they're considerably cheaper. OSTs and mango on the other hand are a different manner.
>>
>>149599431
>the roots of crunchyroll
what
>>
>>149599431

t. piratescum who thinks he is above anyone in life.

Just wallow in your filth. Don't pretend you are anybody in life.
>>
>>149611407
Fuck off crunchy.
>>
>>149608360
Studios make their money off being paid by channel owners (some get cuts of advertisement revenue) or via ticket sales.
>>
>>149611347
Crunchyshit started out as a streaming site where people simply uploaded fansubs.
>>
>>149599040

I thought this was common knowledge
>>
Anime producers are getting more and more rich. The trick is to now spam-create as many anime shows as possible and sell them to streaming companies worldwide for license money.
China is the most hungriest hippo willing to pay the most for it.
>>
>>149599040

Basically anime has to be made for dumb fanatic groups who will actually pay the sort of money companies expect meaning endless waves of the same bland shit that only idiots of the kind that post on /a/ would even consider buying as a business model. I didn't really need an executive to explain the obvious and why anime that uses this stupid business model is garbage but thanks I guess.
>>
>>149599040
>water is wet
Gee whiz who would have thought that if BDs don't sell, a second season isn't likely.
>>
>>149599431

All I know is the Western anime audience was less rock stupid and concerned with the trivialities of discussing yuri vs yaoi and who the best girl is before social media and Crunchyroll. Crunchyroll and it's community really did it's part in dumbing all this shit down.
>>
>>149607925

It doesn't and doesn't care cause it's full of retarded shitposters.
>>
I feel like I've read this exact same thread with the same arguments a myriad of times already.

Has everyone become so boring that they repeat the same old shit every month?
>>
File: 1472603517676.jpg (105KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1472603517676.jpg
105KB, 1280x720px
>>149611726
Welcome to 4chan.
Enjoy your stay.
>>
>>149608873
>The question is what will come afterwards
Can it be worse than what it is right now?
>>
>>149608319

Cause the whole idol concert event business is doing okay, meanwhile traditional sources of revenue for late night anime continue to struggle mightily except for the stuff bolstered by fanatics groups which again is typically idol/LN/VN based anime. I'd argue even the majority of the LN/VN base of support is struggling other than a handful of franchises, most of which have the anime adaptation rights entirely locked up by Aniplex and friends who essentially ARE the late night anime industry at this point with everyone else just fighting for table scraps and not to go bankrupt.

Of course all of this shit should be incredibly obvious and known at this point yet every few weeks like most of what happens on /a/ everyone's memory seems to reset and it's back to having the same discussions and comments like there's some earth shattering revelation going on. My theory is that the anime fanbase is just full of pod people now.
>>
>>149611726
>anime is dead guys
>I'm serious this time
>what do you mean revenue is going up while BD sales are going down?
>>
The anime industry is becoming as one dimensional as it's music industry, but considering they're essentially run by the same companies quite literally these days that's hardly surprising. Japanese media culture is just boring now, everyone kind of knows it when looking at the state of the fanbase too but just refuses to admit it.
>>
>>149611880

Yeah concert and pachinko revenues being up makes the late night shows so much more awesome to watch. Clearly there must always be a direct correlation there.
>>
>>149611726

It's because you have and /a/ has been cycling through the same bland shitposts for months now. It's like it must always stay just one step ahead of anime in the shit factor. Anime is boring cyclical shit so /a/ must be even more so.
>>
>>149611918
Money is objective, taste is subjective.

>oh no anime doesn't pander to me anymore
>>
What if animators made a union to stop the slave wage practise?
>>
>>149607694
Good studios tend to fix errors, which takes time. And I assume they want to release the first volume while the show is still relevant.
>>
>>149611918
Nip otaku do the whole anime watching, joining concerts and gathering in Akihabara to visit the latest otaku-trendy cafe shops and buying cute clothes to socialize with their fellow otaku, play video games that have those anime characters in it as a special collaboration effort, buy merchandise to post it on the social media and so on.
It is its own subculture after all.

Meanwhile, /a/nons only have each other anonymous shitposts for company while watching anime and getting more jaded.
>>
File: yuck.png (105KB, 174x250px) Image search: [Google]
yuck.png
105KB, 174x250px
>>149611726
This nigger is shilling his shitty website. Report and move on.
>>
>>149599040
It's quite ovbios really movies work the exact same but in this case is movie tickets what green lights a second or third movie.
>>
>>149607356
What's worse is that some companies like Konami go the extra mile to be financially retarded, and charge Blu-Ray prices for DVDs of roughly the same quantity of content.

Do Nips even own DVD players anymore?
>>
>>149612359
Of course they do.
>>
>>149610826
>>149610980
>>149611112
This is nichijou all over again.
hey guys, this series is awesome, LOL's everywhere, people love it!!

Eyes of producers/companies shining like mad. "it's popular eh? charge 'em full, made'em pay us through their noses!!"
"I-i-i-i-its not selling sempai!!! fuck'em then, no S2 fucking poor people"

Really, some japanese businessmen are inflexible as fuck on their tunnel-vision views of the japanese market, let alone the global market
>>
>>149613663
>hey guys, this series is awesome, LOL's everywhere, people love it!!
>>149613663
>Eyes of producers/companies shining like mad. "it's popular eh? charge 'em full, made'em pay us through their noses!!"
>"I-i-i-i-its not selling sempai!!! fuck'em then, no S2 fucking poor people"
What the fuck are you saying? You make it sound like some sort of specific scheme to exploit Nichijou's popularity.

>Really, some japanese businessmen are inflexible as fuck on their tunnel-vision views of the japanese market, let alone the global market
Funny how no one ever has any argument for this except "I'm a random Westerner on the internet and I'm sure better at business strategies for the anime market than literally everyone who's made a career out of it."
>>
For reference crunchyshit does not give directly to the studios. They give a small share to the publishers who hold the licenses, which are behind most of the series most anime get made of - the likes of Kadokawa, Pony Canyon etc, who are already swimming in money, as well as the network TV Tokyo. Your crunchyshit bucks do not go into the pockets of Ema-like animators at silver link or dogakobo or whatever studio you fancy, it goes to those peoples' bosses' bosses' boss's pockets.

Original anime do get to keep a lot of money from merchandise sales by the way. Gainax made bank off Eva, Shaft off Madoka etc on top of BD sales. Shaft made bank off the monogataris only because they sell so well in BDs. The risk of doing an original, since you would think everyone should spam originals given they make money off holding their IP, is that a failed original is a money black hole that can sink a studio. Studios get money from contracts for doing series as bids from publishers, they at least have production covered a lot of the time. This is why adaptation contracts are done so often, they are subsidized hence safer. It is how Gonzo managed to keep making seried after series despite producing nonstop flops for years and years, etc.
>>
>>149613790
If they stubbornly stick to the same business plan, while complaining that they never make any money, then you don't have to be a businessman to realize they're morons.
>>
>>149613877
>while complaining that they never make any money
They do make money overall, obviously, that's why the business exists. Many shows don't do well, though, and that's simply how it works - TV anime has never been Hollywood. But the industry overall does better now than before, and there's no indication that the increased prices (which were implemented in the first place precisely because they raised revenue overall) are causing any sort of issues. You're just seeing prices that you wouldn't want to pay for and assuming that that means it's a bad business model.
>>
>>149611674
Crunchyroll did? What the fuck are you on about, all of /a/ is basically NGE/LOGH threads, best waifu threads, Your(instert waifu) for the night threads and whatever show is airing right now threads. Nothing but pure shit.
>>
>>149613872
Wrong, stop spreading bullshit.
>>
>>149614093
>waifu as general term for anime girl
>discussing airing shows is bad
>pretending LoGH has anywhere near as many threads as even random battle shounen manga
Found the cancer.
>>
>>149614119
Prove it. Read directly from CR they hsve deals with TV Tokyo and thr publishers. They also absolutely give money covering production costs for contracts unless it is a in house from up the chain, like A-1 or Sunrise.
>>
Guys what if like instead of the normal disc sales model, they make it so you need to play pachinko to get the discs; if you're really lucky you could pay less than current average prices, but if you're NOT, you could end up paying significantly more, and apparently they're all into pachinko so this could actually work?
>>
>>149614145
Shut up, /a/ is cancer. Not even sturgeon's law can save this abomination of a board. 99% of all the threads on any given time on /a/ are pure garbage. You must have shitty standards to consider anything on here good or insightful.
>>
>>149614093
/a/ preferentially talks about new shows because everything else has been talked about a million times beforehand, this isn't really anything new.
>>
>>149614377
If you're aware of somewhere better you're free to leave.
>>
>>149614408
I dont mind those threads, but every other thread but those is garabge though. Might as well be a board for horny 15 year old kids, no difference.
>>
>>149614467
This is 4chan, you're here forever.
>>
>>149614467
Stop moving the goal post you damn faggot. /a/ is shit period and i will do as i please.
>>
>>149614377
You can't be assed to even check the catalog to see how wrong you are. You are not even cancer, cancer is just an undesirable element that is at least part of the board. You talk clearly like someone from /co/ or /tv/ who has no idea how the board works and only spouts a distorted caricature of it that is dismantled by several minutes of looking through threads with discussion, which is probably like 130-40 threads on the board, instead of cherry pick like 2 bad threads and assert the whole board is exactly that.
>>
>>149614581
I'm not even trying to argue with you here mate. I'm just saying if you don't like it here then why be here?
>>
>>149614607
>read the first sentence
Wrong.
>>
>>149614631
There is no good alternative.
>>
>>149614631
Luckily there is about 1% left that isnt complete trash. So i frequent those threads or the occasional good one with an intereesting premise. Other than that most of this seems to be mindless shit that i talked about when i was in middle school.
>>
>>149614771
Have you tried committing sudoku yet?
>>
File: 1478058910658.png (116KB, 500x464px) Image search: [Google]
1478058910658.png
116KB, 500x464px
>BD sales dont matter, the LN is selling like hotcakes and so is the merchandise
>anime producer comes out and says buy more BD you retards
so which is it?
>>
>>149615166
I'd rather trust someone in the industry than some random guy on /a/ who """"had a job in the industry""""
>>
>>149615166
The anime producer. LN/manga selling like hotcakes doesn't mean shit to the company producing the anime since they're not getting a cut of LN/manga profits and like it said merchandise doesn't lead to as much profit as people think it does.

BDs
>>
How many have bought Berserk Blue-Rays?
>>
>>149607925
Everyone knows this. In fact people are so obsessed with the idea that they continually parrot how much Japan reviles and/or ignores anime, how weeaboos get their dreams crushed when they travel there (even though the place is goddamn full of anime related stuff).
>>
>>149607356

Every $100 basically buys 1-2 keyframes, you are basically sponsoring the animation itself rather than just buying a bluray, it's also an extremely niche hobby, so each anime is almost like it's being made specifically for you.
>>
No worries guys. China is their hope, so much money is waiting to be spend on anime through streaming and merch.
>>
>>149613790
>What the fuck are you saying? You make it sound like some sort of specific scheme to exploit Nichijou's popularity.
Nichijou was famous for the outrageous BD prices. This was mentioned across "s2 when?" therads
>Funny how no one ever has any argument for this except "I'm a random Westerner on the internet and I'm sure better at business strategies for the anime market than literally everyone who's made a career out of it."

>implying.
I'm not saying that I know best. I worked for a less than a year for a client that happened to be a japanese company. Everybody in the US offices told me to be extra patient because japanese business decisions, even the basic ones, take at least twice the time compared to that of traditional US companies.

But ok, maybe Nichijou's BD werent so expensive, maybe they had wild sales expectations like those of crapcom or squeenix, and once they could not reach it the problems began.
>>
>>149615500

Wasn't it a trash anime? I haven't watched it yet, I would only purchase blurays of anime I truly love that have lowish sales. If it's an extremely popular anime it doesn't need any more support.
>>
>>149616048
>>149615500
It was trash, so it probably won't sell much. It's still confirmed to get a second season though.
>>
File: 1418691279631.png (783KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1418691279631.png
783KB, 800x800px
>>149599040
Explain Terraformars.
>>
>>149599040
>Charge $100 USD for a disk that contains 2-3 episodes
>Act surprised when they don't sell

SASUGA NIPS
>>
>>149615766
>so each anime is almost like it's being made specifically for you.
Never thought about it like that before.
>>
>>149615867
the producer literally just said streaming and merch dont matter
>>
>>149611790
Yes.
>>
>>149599040
>Home video sales determine was gets made
Shocker.
>>
almost everyone in the anime industry is being exploited
>>
>>149617795
[citation needed]
>>
>>149608360
>western animation
>blu-ray
My FUCKING SIDES. Very few shows even get video releases at all, and even fewer get fully released on DVD. Literally nothing outside of Disney, Pixar, and DreamWorks gets Blu-ray.
>>
>/a/ knows how 2nd seasons are made
>don't do what it takes to get 2nd seasons
It's like you guys don't even care.
>>
>>149611604
>anime that uses this stupid business model is garbage
You mean literally everything in the past 20-30 years? I'm not even sure "literally" is an exaggeration in this case.
>>
Just some more gib me dats hiroshimas shilling for money
>>
>>149599040
>hardly even 1k bds get sold
>1k
>if you assume that's per person, that's only a mere fraction of viewers
I know there's no real incentive to buy because you can just pirate it, but come on. Really?
>>
>>149599040
>If those Blu-rays don't sell..
Ignorant question: why make the bluray prices so goddamn expensive?
And that not only for blurays, audio cds are crazy expensive too, no wonder they need to inject 'japanese special bonus" to keep their local customers to buy the stuff they want by import.
>>
>>149618352
This is super-common knowledge that I'm pretty sure was also posted itt.
>>
>>149618352
Because it's a niche product. Lowering the price does not get a proportional increase in sales. The hardcore otaku's demand is not price elastic while the larger audience do not buy BDs even if the price falls significantly, so by the end of the day, reducing the price simply does not increase overall profit. It's why kid shows like precure do not rely on discs sales and instead focus on merch.
>>
>>149618437
yeah sorry if this has been mentioned before, didn't skim through the thread.
>>
>>149599040
>overprice the absolute fuck out of shows
>wonder why it doesn't sell
>oy vey shut it down no second season for you because you can't earn me 5 gorillion trillion dollars
god i hate japan, its such a fucking shithole with a completely cancerous tumor of a society
>>
>>149618596
>>149618466
Educate yourself first before spouting retarded crap.
>>
>>149618657
maybe if literally everything from the bottom up wasn't designed by memes from /pol/ things would be different, go look up their society, their entire society is cancer of the highest degree where people kill themselves in mass because they are run by a gigantic pack of superjews.
>>
>>149618466
>Because it's a niche product
So in general, besides anime, blurays dvds of f.e western or local series/movies are not selling either?
Is the Japanese "culture" not keen on buying movies/series?
I mean for me in europe buying and probably for the rest of the world it's kinda common to often buy blurays/dvds.

And how can a "staple" local product be so niche in their own country?

I once heard a thing about high taxes on entertainment products, like in brazil with video games. Is it the same here?
>>
>>149618709
>And how can a "staple" local product be so niche in their own country?

>>149607712
>>
>>149618709
>So in general, besides anime, blurays dvds of f.e western or local series/movies are not selling either?
>Is the Japanese "culture" not keen on buying movies/series?
The fuck are you talking about? Why are you comparing late night anime's BDs with normalfag media? The entire bloody point is that these are niche products, hence the price. Local series and movies aren't niche. And the anime we're talking about here aren't staples. Staples would be shit like sazae-san.
>>
File: industry.jpg (467KB, 1490x970px) Image search: [Google]
industry.jpg
467KB, 1490x970px
>it's a no one knows really anything about the industry and everyone's just talking out of their asses thread
>>
>>149599040
I shouldn't have read the comments.
>Maybe they shouldn't charge so much for Blu-rays if they want them to sell? I'm not going to buy 3 episodes for $50 when Kissanime works just fine. If Blu-rays aren't making money, stop making them and focus on streaming. It feels like these studios are just sitting there doing nothing and expecting fans to do everything for their lazy asses.
>>
>>149618352
>'japanese special bonus"
There is some really nice fucking stuff in Japanese Special Editions, I'll have you know. That Beatles documentary, 8 Days a Week, has an awesome special-edition with posters, a pamphlet filled with info, and a shirt with a gorgeous case.
CDs actually aren't that expensive in Japan (only slightly more than the U.S.), and Single CDs are still popular at roughly $8 a pop. Albums usually cost $10-$20, but some Soundtracks can cost more than that, yeah. Even "mainstream" shows cost a lot; certain dramas cost as much as a typical anime box-set (which is obviously a MUCH better deal than the original volumes-1-through-9 release), around $100 for a show 11-25 episodes long. Books are extremely cheap, though, even for good quality. Books here are much more expensive, but vanilla Blu-rays for movies cost as much as five-disc combo-packs here. No particular reason in some cases.
>>
>>149618819
>Why are you comparing late night anime's BDs with normalfag media?
Because Japanese "normalfag media" are also pretty expensive compared to other countries.
As for "staples", he was saying that home media is a staple. Please become an exegete before making a fool of yourself.
>>
>>149607375
That's clearly including all anime though, not late night otaku anime we watch. Merchandising is great for shows like Anpanman and horrible for shows like Magical Girl Matoi

and as OP already explained royalties from anime merchandise is a small percentage because the manufacturers and distributors take the lion's share.

I've tried to explain this to you retards time and time again but I keep getting met with the argument 'I buy merchandise so it's ok that I pirate' which doesn't work.
>>
>>149619791
>we
>>
>>149619791
And yet revenue and the number of shows increase while BD sales decrease. Explain that.
>>
>>149614119
Which paragraph?
>>
>>149599040

This is bullshit because it's not like animation studios exist in a vacuum. When related goods sell resulting from an anime adaptation, the people who publish these series pay for additional anime to be produced.
>>
>>149615766
They should go back to the way OVAs worked in the 80s. I'd have so much more incentive to buy a BD if it weren't aired on TV first.
>>
Isn't that old as fuck?
>>
>>149620235
Yeah, I just noticed that the writer decided to dig up year-old tweets.
>>
>>149599040
Neat
>>
>>149611893
>>149611893
>Japanese media culture is just boring now, everyone kind of knows it when looking at the state of the fanbase too but just refuses to admit it.
Is that why the Koreans are taking over in that aspect?
>>
>>149599040
Back in the 90s when I first got into anime, I actually bought it on dvd. You could download it back then too, but it was in really shitty quality.

But then the quality starting getting better and I stopped having to buy them. Same with music. I'll never spend money on that stuff, even if I like it. If anime 'dies', I'll feel bad but that's about it. I can't help it, the urge to not spend money on something I can get for free is too great. It's the same with video games.

On the bright side, if anime goes to shit at least I'll finally be out of reasons to not kill myself.
>>
>>149607375
>pachinko
>>
>>149607627
$10 is kind of low, but $300 is pretty high

Something like $30/volume might work better

Also bluray is user-hostile shit
>>
>>149623346
This.
>>
>>149623346
I find live entertainment all the sudden showing up in 2013 pretty funny as well. What is that, like the bleach theater shit or tv adaptions? Why all the sudden in 2013?
>>
Why are they not streaming it themselves? No paid subscription, only ad revenue like youtube. They would get 100% of the views their animes usally get at least. Wouldn't it be profitable?
>>
>>149624740
Why buy BD's when you can just be satisfied enough through watching the stream?
>>
>>149624785

Is there really that many people buying BD who don't watch it first on the internet/tv? Even the ones who do, what would possibly change? It's not like it's not already available on the internet (illegaly or not). Someone got some numbers? Pretty sure the illegal part must be huge as fuck.
>>
>>149624953
Pirating is really looked down upon in japan. It's completely different from here. That isn't to say people don't pirate, but it's viewed as a inexcusable degenerate activity that is unacceptable to society.
>>
>>149625005

Honestly, i have the feeling they are losing money. I lives in a french speaking country. Dragon ball super is really huge, even with the normies. Of course there's an official distribution but most of them don't buy it because even 1 euro is too much for a streaming. They must know better than me what they are doing but all i know is that illegal streaming make for a big part of the views.
>>
>>149625231
I know about as much as you do, so I can only speculate. Whatever I know I've learned from knowing japanese and browsing japanese web sites. There is probably money to be made streaming somehow, but the market is so niche in japan that funding anime through streaming could only ever hurt it by cannibalizing BD sales. So the most you'll see of streaming in japan is through nico nico for older anime that don't need BD sales anymore.

As for in the west, if 1 euro is too much to pay to watch anime then they probably view it as anime just not being worth it outside of japan. It's hard to compete when your competition is the same thing but free. Even ad supported I can only imagine that it would work for only the most popular normalfag anime.

Bottom line, to japan only BD sales matter. It is the lifeblood of most anime, for better or worse.
>>
File: 1447263541286.jpg (76KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1447263541286.jpg
76KB, 1280x720px
>LN/manga/etc. source material sells really well
>anime rushes through the first two volumes, skipping important content
>botch the climax, with poorly explained character actions, and shit pacing to make the scenes drag
>also includes anime original filler episodes

So where's my option to get a second season....or even a remake of the series from the begining, from a competent group of people who know what the fuck they are doing?

If the anime sells like shit meanwhile the source material sells well, that just means the adaptation was complete dogshit. Unlike other forms of companies looking to make a quick buck by selling a completely unsatisfactory product by using the name of a good product, people actually get to watch the damn series BEFORE they pony up money for the BD. It's insulting as a customer that companies haven't realized that part yet.

>pls support the series so we can anime the "good stuff" at a later date in an additional season!
how about fuck you, and put out a season that is worth watching in the first place!?
>>
>>149619929
No, it's bullshit because it's bullshit. The anime company gets paid by the committee, not by selling the BDs. The committee will include the property owner, so it will take a view including the profits from manga/LN sales and merchandising. Look at Chihayafuru, the BDs sold poorly but the print media sales boomed so it got a second season.
>>
>>149607694
>>149611996
They are probably just desperate to make payroll. If BD sales are the only revenue stream, that shit needs to be flowing so that you can make it to the end of each cour.
>>
>>149620303
So this thread is utterly useless, and everyone here discussing about buying stuff or streaming is just rehashing old outdated shit that has nothing to do with the economic realities of 2016.

Man, for a board that always has new content to talk about, /a/ is ironically stuck in old shit.
>>
>>149625005
That's the vocal minority. Japanese pirate a lot.
>>
>>149626560
Maybe if you actually read the thread properly you'll find that people actually have also been talking about recent affairs too. The discussion is this thread has been more than just about what was in OP's link.

Before you condemn others, make sure you aren't committing the same mistake.
>>
>>149626651
I don't disagree, but how do you even measure something like that to any degree of certainty? It's undeniable that the japanese in general view piracy very harshly. You can call this a "vocal minority" but unless you have any evidence proving that it is just baseless speculation. Arguments like "it's just a copy, it's not stealing" simply don't fly over there. They just view it as a thief making excuses for their crimes. The best pirates can do is come up with memes like "買うとか犯罪かよ", they don't even try to attempt at defending their actions.

The way I see it is that piracy is so looked down upon that even if regular people engage in it they just don't talk about it at all.
>>
>>149626804
Have you ever downloaded something via Torrent? Lots of Japanese IPs you'll see there.
That it's looked down upon is a whole different matter. Who'd you go out on the street and shout into the world that you illegally download chinese cartoons? Probably not.
>>
>>149626751
Absolutely nothing new or relevant has been posted at all in this thread. Nothing.
>>
>>149626926
Pretty much everyone I know in real life casually discusses torrenting stuff all the time.
Thread posts: 153
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.