[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>character says a character's name without an honorific

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: 123141321.jpg (93KB, 790x719px) Image search: [Google]
123141321.jpg
93KB, 790x719px
>character says a character's name without an honorific
>subs has an honorific
>>
Show me 2 (two) times where this has happened.
>>
File: honorifics.webm (3MB, 1280x836px) Image search: [Google]
honorifics.webm
3MB, 1280x836px
You just wanted a meme thread so someone could post this, right?
>>
>>149546553
Stop watching troll-subs
>>
[inaudible]
>>
>>149546597
>sis
>sissy
>dearest sister
What fucking idiot approved those? Fucking garbage
>>
>>149546553
That never happens
>>
>Character says someone's name twice
>Subtitles only say it once

Maybe I have autism, but this makes me mad
>>
>>149546597
What were the two different sub groups?
>>
>>149548024
Crunchyroll.
>>
If you were to translate -chan or -kun directly into English, what do they mean?
>>
>>149546553
>2016
>needing subs
Why are you even here?
>>
>>149548024
Daiz.
>>
>character calls someone by a pronoun
>in the subs, he says their name
>>
>>149550058
They're both from the same Underwater release. There's two subtitle tracks, with and without untranslated honorifics.

The "all these different ways to say sister" joke in question comes up like twice in the entire series, besides that all you see is either plain old "Sister" or "Nee-sama" depending on the subtitle track you're using.

It is quite amusing that it keeps popping up in these kind of threads considering it comes from a release that has the solution to the honorific question in the form of offering both and letting the user choose according to their preference.
>>
File: 1439994622639s.jpg (3KB, 123x125px) Image search: [Google]
1439994622639s.jpg
3KB, 123x125px
>It's a borderline /tv/ thread
>>
>>149550649
You can't. There is simply no English equivalent.
>>
>>149549753
It's probably because of sentence structure. For example, if you stutter a name at the beginning of the sentence, but the English sentence has the name at the end, you make the first word like t-t-t-this, not the name.
>>
>>149550649
There is no direct 1:1 equivalent, but this isn't actually a problem because translation isn't about 1:1 word replacement, but rather about conveying the meaning of the original language text, along with all the multiple layers of context, in the target language.
>>
>character says something in english
>commie puts japanese subs onto them
>>
File: Sayaka_446.jpg (145KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Sayaka_446.jpg
145KB, 1920x1080px
>>149546553
>字幕でアニメを見て
>>
>>149551065
>along with all the multiple layers of context
It's important to note that this is literally impossible, so there's always some interpretation done in translating a work (as opposed to simple information, like a textbook or a single sentence) because language can have a large influence on the meaning of said work. For example, in Latin, "hope" is a feminine term, so when they say "give up on her" in Dante's inferno, it's a double meaning for "hope" and the woman that is missing.
This is why, depending on the work, localization can be important or even essential, and also why translation notes are a great add-on that everyone should include.
>>
>>149551233
Yeah, going deep enough in the context layers things start getting really obtuse. I was mostly thinking about the closer layers of context. The main reason I brought it up was to stress the importance of context in translation, since that's something the people thinking in 1:1 word replacement terms rarely understand.
>>
>>149550854
why would anyone want the top one though? it looks dumb as fuck you might as well be watching a dub.
>>
>character says hime-sama
>subs put hime-sama instead of princess
Astarotte was great with all the sexy lolis and all but this was a bit off putting.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.