[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

remind me again, why do we hate SAO?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

File: sword-art-online-800x420.jpg (79KB, 800x420px) Image search: [Google]
sword-art-online-800x420.jpg
79KB, 800x420px
remind me again, why do we hate SAO?
>>
Kirito.
Land of the Fairies.
Confused framing devices.
You should be able to figure this out for yourself.
>>
File: 1336891181544.jpg (21KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
1336891181544.jpg
21KB, 360x240px
The characters are bland and, aside from Kirito, have absolutely no agency on the plot. They're defined by their relation to Kirito and have no real character of their own to set them apart. If you were to try and describe one of the characters without saying what they look like, what they wear, or what their profession or role in the show was, you'd find you couldn't get very descriptive, if at all.

How was the government unable to figure out how to stop a helmet from microwaving people's brains 10 years in the future when we there are ways to accomplish this in the present day?

How did Kirito have the programming knowledge to program an entirely new item into the game when the only thing they ever list to attempt to explain this in any way is that his parents are programmers and that he built his own computer? This is supposed to take place 11 years in the future and building your own computer is common place today, why would this suddenly give him extensive programming knowledge? Not to mention he was able to program said item in seconds using a moderator terminal in the game and did absolutely no 3D rendering? How was this item saved to Kirito's helmet and still showed up to everyone in the game when it's essentially explained as a mod and then carried over as a completely different item in a different game?

How did Kirito beat the programming of a game with willpower? He prevents his avatar from dispersing, something that should have happened immediately, and caused an AI in the game to go rogue through the power of his and Asuna's love. All of these things are supposed to be working within the confines of real world programming unless otherwise stated. Despite how much this tries to be, it isn't a fantasy anime, it's Sci-Fi. They established rules and broke them, power of love may work with magic and that nonsense, but it doesn't work in a show taking itself way too seriously and based in programming.
>>
Was "trapped in a mmo" genre a mistake?
>>
>>149400931
I thought kirito coming back to life was because Klein used that revival item.
>>
>>149400600
Because we want high level literature in a story that is mostly just for fun. That way we can be able to write things like

>>149400931

When just get a silly story.

Of course most people is able to understand the difference and just enjoy the ride, others, like must of us just want to be special and different, that gives us another reason to hate not only SAO but all the other popular anime.
>>
>>149400600

It became popular worldwide, many average people liked it. Therefore, if your taste is above liking it, you are superior to all those people because you have a taste for finer things. Thus, if you hate what's popular you are special.
>>
>>149401336
No, that item wasn't even introduced until the second volume of the light novel, which was published after Kirito fought Heathcliff in volume 1.
>>
>>149401416
That sure is a lot of projection, you seem pretty insecure about this. There's nothing to enjoy in SAO unless you've only seen 20 anime in your life and are easily impressed.
>>
File: IMG_7900.png (3MB, 2208x1242px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7900.png
3MB, 2208x1242px
>>149400600
Because Kawahara was an inexperienced writer when he started out with the WNs and had no sense of proper timing or character balance, and because /a/ has a burning hatred of all things vidya, and SAO is unmistakably a gamer's anime.
>>
>>149401498
Actually is the other way. You have to be really insecure if you think that you are a special snowflake just for linking or disliking an anime, or if you "only enjoy" non-popular "smart things"

But when you grow a little and you learn just to enjoy things, no matter what they are.
>>
>>149400600
delusions have limit. SAO broke that limit. It's unhealthy.
>>
>>149401615
People aren't aloud to no like something because they believe the quality is lacking or it does not please their personal preference?

Not everything is a conspiracy. Some people just don't like eating shit.
>>
>>149400600
>we
Don't kid yourself. You're not one of us.
>>
>>149400600
Eveyone should give progressive a look, it really takes SAO in another perspective and really makes it enjoyable

Also same artist as tawawa so the girls are THICC as fuck,it's fun
>>
>>149401615
>You have to be really insecure if you think that you are a special snowflake just for linking or disliking an anime
Here's where you're projecting. Nobody ever said anything about thinking they were unique for disliking a cartoon. This is your own insecurities being projected onto others.

>or if you "only enjoy" non-popular "smart things"
More projecting, most of my top 5 favorite anime all outsold SAO, not that this is relevant to any criticisms being levied at SAO. You're the one who is making this an issue of popularity. You're basically saying people aren't allowed to dislike something if it's popular, otherwise they only dislike it because it's popular regardless of their criticisms, which again shows your own insecurities.

>But when you grow a little and learn to just enjoy things
More projection.

>no matter what they are.
So you enjoy Sesame Street, My Baby Can Read, and Baby Einsteins then? You're just supposed to enjoy absolutely everything, regardless of substance? The reality is, when you grow older and more experienced, you ten to be less impressed with things and can appreciate that which is more innovative and meaningful rather than just enjoying mindless power fantasies because they're popular and dismissing anyone who dislikes them as hipsters because you're unable to discern quality for yourself.
>>
File: Revival Crystal.png (658KB, 1128x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Revival Crystal.png
658KB, 1128x1600px
>>149401336
Why won't Yen Press pick up the 4koma already, goddamn.
>>
>>149401954
>when you grow older and more experienced, you ten to be less impressed with things
>appreciate that which is more innovative

Nah, you're full of shit. If you had just said meaningful, maybe. But innovative?
You're a hipster.
>>
>>149403801
Yes, people don't grow to appreciate when things are actually innovative and do something new, only hipsters. The fact I said both totally negates one or the other. You can fuck off, now, you've made it apparent you have no idea what you're talking about with your shit taste and idiocy.
>>
Kirito didn't wear a mask to disguise himself.
>>
>>149400600
-its popular
-it has a lot of valid flaws
-its popular
>>
I like the Mother's Rosario arc, the rest is just average.
>>
>>149401608
>replying to yourself
>>
>>149400931
your mileage, like mine, may vary on the first few since those are actual plot holes, but the last one about willpower is patched up through Incarnation. it's not so much willpower or love as it is the human mind being more powerful and sophisticated than any computer system

its how liz was able to craft dark repulser
how kirito was able to solo gleam eyes and keep his avatar together long enough to gut heathcliff
how asuna was able to exceed the game's sprinting speed limit to save kirito from kuradeel and how she broke the paralysis on floor 75
how sinon kept her rifle's aim on target from kilometers away without a scope
it's a main plot device in Accel World and dictates how certain things in that franchise operate too

And thats not even counting all the absurd feats it pulls in alicization.

Yui 'going rogue' from kirito and asuna's love is wrong though. Yui, to make her job as a mental health counseling program feasible, was programmed with exceedingly complex emotional simulation. There's literally no holes in her explanation, where she was deliberately locked out of providing help for ten thousand mostly kids who were just locked inside a prison that could kill them at the drop of a hat. People lost their minds in SAO, it was very clearly not a good place to be, and the majority aren;t as good at hiding their ice-water-in-veins terror as Kirito. If you were literally created to keep people happy, and were suddenly locked in a box with no way to make contact as thousands of people around you are so deep in the throes of despair that some even commit suicide while you're forced to watch everything, i think you'd eventually go nuts too.
>>
>>149404505
Incarnation shouldn't even be possible on NerveGear.
>>
File: CpbRV52UAAQDCiW.jpg (230KB, 865x1199px) Image search: [Google]
CpbRV52UAAQDCiW.jpg
230KB, 865x1199px
>>149401608
this

most people who universally pan SAO, when asked, will more often than not say they stopped watching/reading either midway through or at the end of the fairy dance arc

like... it gets much better
please understand
>>
>>149400600
I enjoyed it, also cousin was best girl. The others were cute too
>>
>>149404547
why not? the hardware's a BCI
>>
>>149400600
... i forgot
>>
>>149404724
>it gets much better
I watched 26 episodes of that show and it went from oh cool this is an interesting setting and I'm having fun, to watchable and it still gives me some MMO nostalgia, to forec haremshit full of missed opportunities, to (especially into the fairy arc) laughably fucking bad in so many ways that it isn't even worth arguing about the merits of the show.
>>
>>149404810
Basically, programs where you can use Incarnation, use your brain as RAM for the program.

NerveGear doesn't work that way, basically any tech that doesn't directly involve fluctlights doesn't work that way.
>>
>>149401498
i've watched more than 20 anime and I enjoyed SAO for specific reasons

what if large underground chasms are my thing?

sao did it with the lugrue corridor and jotunheim in alo, and to a lesser extent the actual floors of aincrad since the next highest floor serves as a massive roof in a way that i think is really cool

dead space 3 did it with the alien machine, halo with the silent cartographer's bottomless pits, one of mass effect andromeda's pieces of concept art exemplifies this. lotr has it with moria and erebor, in anime i guess evangelion has the geofront, snk has the underground district

i know i'm missing a bunch
>>
File: Smug Archer.png (248KB, 652x624px) Image search: [Google]
Smug Archer.png
248KB, 652x624px
>>149405117
>>
>>149404861
you understand it doesn;t end with the fairy arc, yes?

>>149404972
fluctlight was just a term used by higa and the rath technicians to describe something that already existed. yes the STL may go much much deeper than the nervegear or amusphere, but preceding hardware was still interacting with the user's fluctlight, they just didnt understand it yet. even during alicization their knowledge of the fluctlight is rather limited. they can scan and upload them as data from human, seed the creation of new ones, or even delete others at will, but that's about it

extreme pressure from an exceptionally potent fluctlight giving feedback and changing actual computer programming as a result is essentially NANIIII??? level to everyone in the real world so far
>>
File: the true black swordsman.jpg (47KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
the true black swordsman.jpg
47KB, 800x450px
No one on /a/ understands the depth of Kirito's character. Everyone is too busy pretending to like shit like The Tatami Galaxy.
>>
>>149400600
>we
>>
>>149405117
That's almost as silly as the guy who got off to floor tiles.

>>149405319
Well I mean, it's like trying to put a pizza into a CD drive. The computer's not expecting it, so don't be surprised if something breaks.
>>
File: 1477626236032.jpg (400KB, 1520x1976px) Image search: [Google]
1477626236032.jpg
400KB, 1520x1976px
>this entire thread
Congratulations.
>>
>>149400600
TWO YEARS WORTH OF SEMEN
WITH BULLETS
>>
>>149400600
It's a bad show, but some of the surface elements are good. This combined with it's sudden and massive popularity made people feel a mighty need to shit on it.
>>
How did they piss and shit when playing the game? How did they cut their hair when they were in the helmet?
>>
>>149401416
>that is mostly just for fun
It takes itself far too seriously.
>>
ROCKET DRAGONS
>>
>>149406346
its not a sexual thing, i just really like the general cave aesthetic and atmosphere of big underground spaces

i guess it can be extended to large roofed structures, just something about the size, and natural or artificial feats of engineering to make them
>>
Because nothing that happens in this show makes sense. This could've been looked past to a certain degree, if only the show didn't take itself so seriously. (I'm not a rapper)
>>
Kirito goes into a coma because of the evil NSA.

The surviving Law guys try to train up a peasant army in preparation for the Chaos invasion (Chaos are led by the literal God of Darkness who is also an evil NSA agent who eats souls like rape).

They get rekt, but Kirito's harem save them with GM accounts and deebeezeee powerlevels.

NSA connect UW to the internet and get 50,000 American players to connect (it was advertized to them as a beta test for a new AO-rated VRMMO where you're allowed to slaughter anything and everything you like, with blood and guts), they mass murder UW residents and think it's hilarious.

To defeat them the main characters get 2,000 Japanese VRMMO players to connect. Despite the difference in numbers the Japanese are superior and win because Asian gamer damashii.

Then PoH (who is also an evil NSA agent) unleashes a zerg rush of Korean and Chinese gamers who were recruited by being told this is the a Korean VRMMO that's in beta test but evil Japanese hackers broke into the server, turned off pain dampening and are torturing their countrymen.

Even when some Japs who speak Korean try to explain the situation to them they don't listen because hurr japanese

The other NSA guys are surprised this works, they thought it wouldn't be worth it because they didn't think Japan is more different from Korea/China than European countries are from each other (hur)

Koreans and Chinese overwhelm Japs because this is every Jap's worst nightmare.

Kirito wakes up (thanks to the literal POWER OF LOVE from his entire harem) and wipes them all out in one attack though.

(Also PoH's motivation is that he's Korean and he hates Japanese so when he got stuck in SAO he decided to set up Laughing Coffin and have them and the clearers kill each other for shits and giggles because Nips killing each other is hilarious.)

Later Kirito and Asuna become gods because of x10000000000 acceleration.

The UWers then travel to virtual planets with rocket dragons.
>>
>>149400600
Only irrelevant fedora tippers hate it, the franchise is still as healthy and successful as ever.
>>
I wanted to watch a show about being trapped in a fantasy MMO but it kept turning into regular fantasy.

If you want to do fantasy stories about rescuing princesses or fantastic racism or something just go ahead and do that. Try to put it inside a game and suddenly all your players have to take it seriously. Real players are going to treat a game like a game, even if they're trapped in it, so it's really jarring when suddenly they start treating it like being in a fantasy world.

I would have like to see SAO move away from the MMO into something you could only do with NervGear. You'd need a game where you could succeed by being an entirely different person. Combat mechanics are secondary, and the player community likes it because they want to live in an attractive fantasy. That way if things turn into a fantasy story, there are reasons people would want to play along.

A real challenge for Kirito would mean starting a game with a random weapon and a collection of fake memories, tasked with finding a role, and relentlessly monitored by an AI designed to block him from discussing meta or the outside world. Then again he'd probably just quit because he never roleplays anyone but himself.
>>
>>149406659
I didn't say it was sexual, just that it's silly.
>>
>>149406713
i've seen this before...
>>
>>149406713
i'll never forgive the creator of this pasta for knowingly ruining peoples impressions of it. he had to have read all of alicization (or at least summary spoilers) to tweak the facts oh so carefully and leave out specific details to make everything sound like shit
>>
File: 1331104042662.jpg (456KB, 848x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1331104042662.jpg
456KB, 848x1200px
>>149407307
Reminds me of BAAAAAAAAAW HE'S ACTUALLY MY ONIICHAN.

It's great.
>>
>>149407380
>attracted to your cousin
>feel guilty about it
>spend time with a random chump you met in a game in a desperate attempt to take your mind off your cousin
>chump turns out to be your cousin again
being sugu is suffering
>>
it is the greatest example of "wasted potential"
>>
>>149400600
I don't hate it actually, becouse most SAO fans recognize that it's a very silly anime, unlike monogatari fans for exemple
>>
>>149400600
It's a juvenile fantasy for prepubescent boys.
>>
>>149400600
Personally, I BELIEVE if you can get past the bait and switch that it's actually a RomCom instead of a Shounen action anime. You should be fine.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.