[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain to me the appeal for Fate. I tried playing for a few

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: 1459688676926.jpg (48KB, 412x500px) Image search: [Google]
1459688676926.jpg
48KB, 412x500px
Explain to me the appeal for Fate. I tried playing for a few hours but I still don't get why it's so praised. Not saying it's horrible, but it's surprisingly mediocre.
>>
cool
>>
>>149370619
Rin.
>>
They're just being ironic.

Nothing in that series makes sense, and the many asspulls it has doesn't help.
>>
>>149370619
>it's surprisingly mediocre.
Congratulations anon, you figured it out before wasting 2 days of your life reading the whole thing.

Best to leave now before the buttblasted TM defence force shows up.
>>
>>149370619
its only appeal was that it was one of the few translated VNs at the time and it was written by the author of Tsukihime.

IMHO Tsukihime has much better characters and interactions. Shriou is a very bland character his interactions with the heroines are pretty meh. Archer ends up being more of an interesting character than any of the girls IMHO.

And i guess people like the D&D style stats and power levels.
>>
>>149371052
>D&D style stats
Too bad it all goes out the fucking window once you realize the fights are written just like a battle shonen.
>>
Waifus, power levels and expansive concept.
>>
>>149371052
>IMHO Tsukihime has much better characters and interactions. Shriou is a very bland character his interactions with the heroines are pretty meh.
I feel the opposite. Shiki was just so damn uninteresting and had all of his development happen off screen. All the interesting parts of him aren't even happening because he consciously wills it. His interactions with Arc are a worse and less fleshed out Shirou/Arturia, Ciel was completely meh, and Kohaku just felt rushed. All interesting interactions happen because something is happening to the heroine rather than what Shiki brings. But whatever that's just my opinion.
>>
Fate route is garbage, the other two routes are basically chuuni shounen so mileage will vary depending on how appealing that sounds to you.
>>
>>149371315
I think the best parts of Tsukihime were the conflicts that Shiki had with the girls.

Arcueid route was pretty meh except for the true end, good end is just a shitty cop out.

Shiki had to struggle with fighting his senapi, who turned out to be not a senpai at all. He had to deal with Akiha's inversion and the part where she was actually trying to kill him. I particularly like the ending in which Akiha lost her mind and just lives as a mindless oni sucking Shiki's blood.

Hisui/Kohaku's switched identity and the realisation that Shiki was loving the wrong twin at the very end was very well done IMHO, especially the revealation that Kohaku was basically responsible for everything through her machiavellian scheming.

Fate on the other hand, is a fairly standard adventure story. Here's a grail war with servants, now go win it. The only particularly tragic ending (discounting dead ends) was the one where Sakura grows old and dies on the porch.
>>
>>149371052
>its only appeal was that it was one of the few translated VNs at the time and it was written by the author of Tsukihime.

Fate SN is much more popular in Japan than in America.
>>
File: arcostanza.jpg (155KB, 900x810px) Image search: [Google]
arcostanza.jpg
155KB, 900x810px
people are retards
>>
>>149371574
>Shiki had to struggle with fighting his senapi, who turned out to be not a senpai at all. He had to deal with Akiha's inversion and the part where she was actually trying to kill him. I particularly like the ending in which Akiha lost her mind and just lives as a mindless oni sucking Shiki's blood.
Yeah sure those parts were cool but like I said that all had to do with what the heroines did.

>Hisui/Kohaku's switched identity and the realisation that Shiki was loving the wrong twin at the very end was very well done IMHO, especially the revealation that Kohaku was basically responsible for everything through her machiavellian scheming.
Once again yeah those are cool things but I also feel that the Kohaku follow-up to that wasn't that great.

>Fate on the other hand, is a fairly standard adventure story. Here's a grail war with servants, now go win it.
This is where you lose me.
You seem to be placing, just from what I've gathered from your post, a few interesting parts and twists on some sort of pedestal, at least compared to Fate. Like having a bit of tragedy makes it all the better.
I also have a problem with your dismissal of Fate a standard adventure story. Even if that is true I can say that Tsukihime was a standard mystery/horror story (supernatural elements, tragic past, mastermind behind it all). Fate is all about Shirou, and even if you don't like him you have to admit that outside of Fate route the initial concept is not kept to the intial formula. Like the old secondary complaint of F/SN not being a "real grail war". So even if its a standard adventure story, its Shirou's adventure story, the story really revolves around him and the conflicts, at least in the later routes, are exclusively his. I feel that makes Sate a more compelling story to me rather than Tsukihime. Sorry for so much text I just wanted to challenge an opinion that I feel is unchallenged outside of bait.
>>
>>149370619
Here's your (you).
>>
File: 1475689981729.png (3MB, 1190x1762px) Image search: [Google]
1475689981729.png
3MB, 1190x1762px
>>149370619
>>149370783
This, Rin.
>>
>>149370619
ITT: fags who didn't actully read any of the VNs.
>>
>>149371928
Rhino?
>>
File: 1475702574642.jpg (306KB, 1200x1679px) Image search: [Google]
1475702574642.jpg
306KB, 1200x1679px
>>149371971
Wanna rhino this?
>>
The world building in fate is legitimately pretty interesting and the concept is actually a little fun. The actual stories are kind of dull an uninteresting though, at least that's how i feel about it. My biggest gripe with F/sn is Shiro. A typical complaint but his existence in the story really bugged the hell out of me and hurt my enjoyment. I like the idea behind him but the execution just didn't work for me.
>>
File: 1478056276596.png (344KB, 664x1274px) Image search: [Google]
1478056276596.png
344KB, 664x1274px
>>149371971
>>
>>149371988
Nah, I will leave her to the old men.
>>
File: 1467941402573.jpg (85KB, 709x721px) Image search: [Google]
1467941402573.jpg
85KB, 709x721px
>>149370619
>i tried playing for a few hours
Oh, so you've read like 2% of the whole visual novel?
>>
>>149370619
I'll give you a serious response. The prologue is a few hours long and very dull for the most part. Judging the whole of the VN by it is a gross misrepresentation. It's like judging all of LotR from only reading stuff before Frodo ever set off.

>inb4 durr you're comparing this to LotR? what an asshole

I'm just using the opening of it as an example
>>
>>149373240
I think the comparison to LotR is fine. They both are in three parts, are long as hell, and contain lots of world building.
>>
>>149370619

>a story didn't blow my mind halfway through the prologue
>surprisingly mediocre

This is what humanity has come to.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.