[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So now that the dust has settled... What was the point of this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

File: 1471812243011.png (856KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1471812243011.png
856KB, 1920x1080px
So now that the dust has settled... What was the point of this show? He got transported to a generic fantasy world, met a generic fantasy girl, met a more interesting one that loved him, told her to fuck off, killed a whale, and then got with generic fantasy girl. What made them look at the source and think "Damn, people need to see this"? And why the fuck did it work?
>>
>>149347814
>So now that the dust has settled...
Kill yourself.
>>
>>149347934
this desu

I can't understand why people ate this shit up. It was trash
>>
because of suffering
that's why it wasn't that good after episode 18
>>
You can literally sum any series like that you fucking nigger.
>"A lort movie?" "Damn, people need to see this?"
>>
It's mostly about Subaru's character arc leading up to episode 18

Everything from there is just execution of his development and a conclusion
>>
>>149347814
people are drawn in by the intense suffering not usually seen in a wish-fulfillment isekai story.

The anime decided to leave the biggest suffering event for next season in a few years when the LN has enough material.
>>
>>149348150
>>149348328
It wasn't suffering, it was whining; the primary "impediment" to the progression of the plot in this story was literally the protagonist's unwillingness to progress.

"the ability to respawn" is like beyond immortality in terms of how overpowered it is. Some drama on witnessing horrible murders or getting horribly murdered for the first time and resultant trauma is one thing; but the character arc didn't make fucking sense. People get desensitized and accustomed to things over time. If Subaru wanted to rock back and forth in the fetal position for his first few re spawns; that's perfectly fine. BUT INSTEAD he's smug and chipper in the beginning, and after overcoming one obstacle, and encountering the next one (which can certainly be rectified in the same fashion; re spawning and using the obtained information to get closer each time). It would have made more sense if he was all skittish and depressed at first and eventually became an incredibly smug asshole due to his for gamebreaking ability, and emulating his favorite isekai protags etc...

This is not rocket science. It's groundhog day; it's terrifying at first and all, but as time goes on, the protag is supposed to start using it to their advantage and "owning" the mysterious ability and becoming confident in their ability to use it to its full extent.
>>
>Parroting reviewers
>Being to stupid to pay attention to all the episodes where the characters sit down and literally tell you the point of the show
>>
>>149348795
But that's assuming he wanted these powers, he didn't. He just wanted to live a happy life with the people he loves, however it always ended in death. At first he was confused and scared about what was going on, then he tried to see the positive side of things, to tell himself that he's happy so that he could almost feel like he actually was. After enough times though he started to feel like it just wasn't worth it, that no matter what he did he would either be killed and have to restart or the people around him would be killed. He felt like he was fighting a losing battle and had to relive that battle over and over again. By the end of it he realized that he had to put his power to use in a smart way to help the ones around him. It seemed like clear character progression to me.
>>
>>149347814
Re:Zero is AOTY.
>>
>>149350438
it would have been better if we didnt have to watch his unbearable levels of autism though.

First arc was okay. But he was really really dumb in the second arc. I just cringed when he insisted on working at the mansion. Thanks to that dumb idea, and his insistence on repeating it, he lost so much time that he could have been using to find out more about the world and trying to get past the loop.

All that time spent doing housework instead of not getting killed. To top it off, his insistence on doing housework every loop made him even more suspicious because the maids could tell he had insider knowledge of the mansion. Which should have gotten him killed EARLIER (but for some reason, they actually trusted him more in later loops, bad writing).

Then when he figures out that he is being killed by a curse, he doesnt approach any of the mages he knows for help, which meant another pointless death.

And then he decides to charge into the forest, unarmed, and only survives because his love interest saved his ass.
>>
>>149353924

Huh? He approached Beatrix about the curse
>>
>>149354128
IIRC in the manga he found out about the curse, then died again before realising he should talk to beatrix
>>
>>149347814
>What was the point of this show?
Rem.
>>
>>149354398
re zero would have been so much better if subaru had dumped emilia for rem.
>>
File: 1474545208420.jpg (104KB, 657x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1474545208420.jpg
104KB, 657x1200px
>>149354398
>>
I got bored of Girls Und Panzer, Cowboy Bebop, Shinsekai Yori, Mawary Penguindrum, Yuri!!! On Ice and I thought KonoSuba was a 7.5/10. This anime captivated me though.

I enjoyed the fact that the plot was unpredictable and that Subaru is weak as shit so he has to rely on his plans to get by. I like election politics and how you never really know what'll happen next. I thought the mansion mystery arc was fun, for example.
>>
>none of the story arcs go anywhere
>plot points introduced and almost immediately dropped for something else
>bland characters
>terrible character motivations and development
>everything about Subaru

I honestly don't know how this show got so popular. At least with Chaika and Umaru there were truckloads of memes and reaction images for every post under the fucking sun. But this one was just so middle of the road in terms of how bad/good it was that Im surprised anyone remembers it weeks after it wrapped.
>>
>>149348795
People in real life get PTSD and traumatized by witnessing events less severe than what he witnessed not to mention the trauma of completely losing your relationships and having to rebuild them while trying to create the same outcome or the possibility that he might get trapped in an infinite loop of dying horrifically over and over. He did actually start begin to start "owning" his ability towards the end of the series as well.

Immortality might be powerful but if you're floating through space for eternity it would be hell.
>>
>>149355920
>Im surprised anyone remembers it weeks after it wrapped.

Honestly I'd have probably forgotten about it if there weren't posts about it all the damn time.
>>
>>149354453
Would've been way better if he had eloped with Rem and lived, had children, got older and died with her over the course of 1½ episodes and then respawned back at the fruit vendor's stall. Then he goes to save Emilia/kill the whale as per the anime except the anime ends with "Who's Rem?" and him killing himself over and over again but restarting at the bad save point like in the LN.
>>
>>149355920

Just because an anime or manga produce a lot of memes doesn't make it good.
>>
>>149356205
I never said they were good. I mean that I can understand why they're popular since they're in and of themselves a meme at that point.

>>149356077
Same. It kind of blows my mind honestly.
>>
Rem is normalfag bait. At least Emelia didn't lust after Subaru's nip cock just because he helped her a few times. Subaru helped Rem ONCE and she was dripping wet, ready to have his babies.
>>
>>149356599
He did nothing but help her and people around him since they met.
Wondered into a fucking forest of crazy wolf demons to save her.
That's the side effect of only saving the best playthrough.

Also Emelia is also all over his dick.
She just reacted normally when he sperged out on her.
>>
>>149356599
>Subaru helped Rem ONCE and she was dripping wet, ready to have his babies.

This sounds like something your average otaku would be into not a normalfag, i'm not denying that normalfags didn't jump on the rem meme bandwagon or anything but that description sounds more like otaku pandering.
>>
>a more interesting one that loved him
Rem stops being any interesting and becomes Emilia's equal in that regard the moment she falls in love and her only character flaw gets dumped after 1.5 dialogue sentences.
>>
>>149347814
>a more interesting girl
Nearly every girl in the show only had 2 sides to their personalities, and they can be summed up as nice and not nice.

I only recently watched the show, but I liked it. I wasn't around when /a/ watched it, and I don't understand the huge appeal with Rem. Sure she was cute, but do people only like her because they've never had someone love them in real life before? They fell for her because she was fully devoted to the MC? It still didn't make them a good match.

May as well dump all my opinions on this show since I never have before. 7/10 for me. It could have been 8+ if we saw better developed personalities for the characters, and if the show had better consistency with the mood/tension.

Subaru was the most developed character, but I don't think the show did a good job making him seem realistic. If I could give the creators one reason for not developing other characters as much as him, I'd say it's because he's the only "real" person, and everyone else is just a fictional character in a fantasy world.
>>
>>149357402
>Nearly every girl in the show only had 2 sides to their personalities, and they can be summed up as nice and not nice.
That's kinda bullshit anon

Was Beatrice nice or not nice? She did not care for much happening outside her library and let him die at one point.
Was Crusch nice or not nice?
She was pretty coldhearted to things happening outside her jurisdiction.

If you reduce everyone down to a binary label and then complain about them fitting under a binary label that's your fault.
>>
>>149357757
Beatrice: Primarily a bitch, sometimes nice. Mostly acted out of obligation.
Crusch: Thought she would be nice, ended up being a bitch until Subaru's latest do-over. Then she was just nice.

The characters were fucking 2 dimensional as hell. You think I want to see them that way? That's just the way they are. Only the male characters had a bit more effort put into them.
>>
>>149358010
You're being unbelievably reductive.
So characters that change how they act and show you different sides of themselves are 2 dimensional?

The fact that they have a coherent goal that ties in their behavior does not make them 2 dimensional.

In fact I would say the female characters are way more 3 dimensional than the male characters other than Subaru and you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>149358135
I'm saying that for the most part, all they showed as far as personality goes was 2 ends on a kindness scale. That's it.
Crusch had some pride. Rem had some undying affection. Emilia had nothing. Ram had nothing. Snowcloak girl was greedy.

Sorry if I didn't think Re:Zero was 9/10 like you. Clearly it's because I didn't understand the masterful writing and direction.
>>
>>149358234
That's some nice strawmaning there. I never said it was 9/10.
I said that one the male characters are not better written. You would be hard pressed to find one that can't be described in two sentences.

And that all you see from the characters was how nice they are to Subaru just makes you a shallow idiot.
Crusch was not prideful. Anastasia was not just greedy. They were pragmatic. In the end they both decided to help Subaru for their won reasons. But Crusch wanted to in the first place while Anastasia did not care.
And Priscilla would not help even if it was advantageous to her because she was governed by pride.

You not seeing this is 100% your fault, not bad writing.
>>
>>149348795
this. so fucking much this.
he got into stupid problems for his own stupid reasons and had a 100% happy end thanks to his overpowered ability.
I really don't get why everyone is acting like he suffered so much,his death were always pretty quick and his "trauma" is just like you said not relatable at all.
I saw him on this stupid anime-suffering list over griffth with the same score as rika from higurashi (also timeloop but over 100 years with certain death each time, sometimes torture and no way to escape the loop )
it's like people measure suffering on how much the character bitches about it...
>>
>>149356874
>Wondered into a fucking forest of crazy wolf demons to save her.

You got it backwards faggot. It was Rem who sucks Subaru's dick because she got pushed(she didn't even need it) and goes to the forest to kill doggies for him.
>>
>>149356874
>Also Emelia is also all over his dick.
She really isn't. She doesn't even know what that is.
>>
>>149347814
>What was the point of this show
To make money?
>>
>>149360248
>it's like people measure suffering on how much the character bitches about it...
Because how it impacts the character matters on how much suffering it was. Griffith had a charmed life, had one bad year which sucked pretty hard but now he's back on top as a god-like being.

Kei in Ajin dies all the time, but he doesn't give a fuck and does it himself constantly because its more convenient, the death don't matter.

>and had a 100% happy end thanks to his overpowered ability.
Oh how little you know.
>>
>>149347814

This show is amazingly boring with Subaru isn't suffering. The episodes where they battled the whale weren't remotely exciting, because he was effectively sitting back and letting the high-level NPCs do the fighting.

I mean, when we get down to it, those are really boring. When Subaru himself isn't being fucked up, those subplots just drag on forever.

It's also amazing how Subaru manages to be more autistic and moronic than the typical /a/non, who'd have just kept their mouths shut. I'm firmly of the view that while most of us would have found a way to beat the first arc - eventually - the second one is an inescapable deathtrap.

Also, why didn't he go "Hey, I want someone to teach me magic" in Arc 2, and just repeat until he became Dr. Fucking Strange?
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.