[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the patrician choice for best Ghibli movie?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 13

Is this the patrician choice for best Ghibli movie?
>>
File: 1005763.jpg?format=2500w.jpg (401KB, 2500x1359px) Image search: [Google]
1005763.jpg?format=2500w.jpg
401KB, 2500x1359px
Yes. That and pic related.
>>
KyoAni > Ghibli
>>
All the Ghibli films are good. Porco Rosso and Whisper of the Heart just happen to be the best ones.

>patrician
Please leave and never come back.
>>
No so stop making these threads
>>
File: yamadas-1.jpg (349KB, 1600x865px) Image search: [Google]
yamadas-1.jpg
349KB, 1600x865px
True patrician choice here. Absolute pleb filter
>>
Ocean Waves :^)
>>
>>148980566
>>148981794
Takahata truly is the master.
>>
>>148981824
Ocean Waves proves that nice aesthetics can't make a garbage story good.
>>
>>148980544
Thank fuck there's a Ghibli thread.
I am trying so damn hard to remember the name of a recent film, only as far back as 2014 I believe, that's Ghibli style but made by a guy that studied under Miyazaki.
I know I had the film but suddenly I can't find it. I want to say it was maybe a take on the whole typical peach folk tale or something.
>>
>>148982073
Takes of Earthsea? It was done by his son (I believe)
>>
>>148982476
No, not that. It had a short name still in Jap, like one word of romaji. Was similar in styling to, I want to say, things like Totoro.
I really want to say it was a take on the momotaro story.
>>
Only Yesterday, Kiki's Service & How's Castle are their best.

Fuck Poko Roso. It's like I'm wathing an annoying hipster movie.
>>
>>148983020
howl's is pretty garbage
>>
>>148983075
That's what most Ghibli fans say. Since these same people like the piece of shit called Spirited Away and think mediocre stuff like Mononoke are pinacle of kino, their opinions don't matter.
Howl's Castle is maximum comfy with best locations and animation. It's also the most family movie of the bunch if we don't include Ponyo for good reasons.
>>
Only Yesterday and Princess Kaguya are the patrician choices.

Porco Rosso seems to be universally overrated by wannabe patricians with a false sense of elitism though.
>>
>>148982591
Holy fuck I can't find a single thing of whatever movie I'm trying to remember. Even going by lists of animated films in years I can't find shit. I didn't get to watch more than a minute of it so I don't really know anything about the film.
Just kill me now. All I remember is it's styled somewhat like Ghibli films, and was made by a guy that studied/worked under Miyazaki. I know that much since I was curious who made it and did a quick look up on him. Been too long for browser history to recall, however.
>>
>>148980566
>>148980544
You're alright.
>>
>>148983020
>>148983075
>>148983229

Howl's Moving Castle is really the only Miyazaki movie I would say is lackluster (and he also says its lackluster). And if anything, the people who obsess over Spirited Away tend to be the ones who prefer Howl's. Since they both came out relatively close to each other, got a major western release and have the same fantasy bend. Heck, both Spirited Away and Howl's seem to have the same story tactic of ending the movie 3/4 through and the rest is kind of a feel good art piece.
>>
>>148983266
Was it in a different style?
>>
>>148983435
I can't even remember at this point. It's not the Lasseter guy that keeps getting pulled up in searches, and it's not a work by or assisted by Ghibli at all. Just made by a guy that worked under Miyazaki and so heavily influenced. The guy's bio even talked about that a bit, but running searches of that just come up with Miyazaki's bio, the co-founder with him, and Lasseter.

I swear I'm not insane, I know I got it just earlier this year by a few months or so. But it's freaky that there is literally no info on what I'm looking for.
>>
>>148983579
It's a Japanese?
>>
>>148983615
Definitely. The film name itself was too.
>>
>>148983239
>Porco Rosso seems to be universally overrated by wannabe patricians with a false sense of elitism though.
What you have done is here is you wrote about some dudes you don't like. That's okay, but it doesn't work as an argument against any movie. If you believe Porco Rosso does not deserve to be called great you should explain this opinion by telling us what in the movie itself is flawed.
>>
>>148983636
By the peach thing did you mean it was literally like the peach thing or different but based on it?
>>
>>148980544
Grave of the fireflies. did you seriously not know that?
>>
>>148983229
>kino
>comfy
>piece of shit called Spirited Away
>mediocre stuff like Mononoke
>>>/out/
>>>/tv/
>>>/trash/
>>
File: 1421928722628.jpg (92KB, 849x719px) Image search: [Google]
1421928722628.jpg
92KB, 849x719px
>>148983669
I want to say based on it, maybe even a direct spin on it.
I have no fucking idea at this point though. I feel like I'm going insane.
>>
>>148983667
Miyazaki doesn't even like the film. It has nothing to do with who likes it just observing the kind of people it appeals to.

>M: Because I made Porco, I felt like I can't retire until I somehow make one proper film.
>>
>>148983697
I bet you also find Angel's Egg to be pinacle of "kino"
>>
>>148983706

Anon are you talking abou Kagura-Hime? It's based on an old eleven folktale, is very recent, and is Ghibli-related.
>>
>>148983772
If he is saying Takahata studied under Miyazaki I will stab someone.

Miyazaki wouldn't have even had a career without Takahata.
>>
>>148983772
I severely do not think so. I actually am downloading it at the moment, though. If it somehow is it then what the fuck was I thinking of.
But just by the name, pretty damn sure it's not. The name was one word, maybe 10 or so letters in it.
>>
>>148983706
I cant think of any other recent anime film based obviously on a folk tale besides Kaguya-hime.
>>
Whisper of the Heart is the GOAT
>>
>>148983976
why
>>
File: nausicaa-wall.jpg (76KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
nausicaa-wall.jpg
76KB, 1024x768px
>>148983813
True.

>>148983819
I hope you think of what it was anon. I feel your pain. Having something on the tip of your brain and not being able to recall it is the worst.

I'm not sure what my favorite Ghibli film really is. Porco Rosso is great, Omoide Poro Poro is amazing too, Grave of the Fireflies isn't as good as those two, but it had a big impact on me when I first saw it.

Currently I'm revisiting pic related and its manga. I know it's not really a Ghibli film, as it's pre-studio Ghibli Miyazaki, but most people count it as one. It's Proto-Ghibli. It's a great film that I don't usually see mentioned in these "What's the Best Ghibli/Miyazaki Film" threads. Probably not the best of them all, but it laid the groundwork, set the tone, and started riffing on the themes that would echo through a lot of other, arguably better films.

I've heard it argued that it was having the Nausicaa manga going on the side, despite frequent hiatus, that allowed Miyazaki an outlet for his heavier more serious thoughts and freed him up to make some of the great family friendly films he's known for like Totoro.
>>
>>148983732
>Miyazaki doesn't even like the film. It has nothing to do with who likes it just observing the kind of people it appeals to.
Let's break that down:
>instead of forming my own opinion I will let this random quote from the director tell me what to think
>the opinions of others don't matter but I will greatly focus on them and refer to them as part of my arguments
Are you eventually gonna tell me what you think of the movie?
>>
>>148983890
That's why I'm having such a hard ass time. There is literally NOTHING I can find even related to what I'm looking for.
Even searching for the producer/director/whatever that trained/worked under Miyazaki is impossible. I read some of the guy's damn bio, I know he exists and it talked about how he worked under him. The only thing possible is Miyori no Mori, but that's by Nizo Yamamoto who is the art director in a lot of Ghibli films.

>>148984052
Thanks anon, but I'm going absolutely bonkers over here. It's like the file, the guy and the film itself all vanished from reality. As soon as I get past all the related searches of Miyazaki's films it goes into a bunch of political crap with his anti-war films and other junk.
>>
>>148984080
Holy shit, Miyazaki said the film wasn't even supposed to be a film but a 45 minute short that turned into masturbatory wish fulfilment for himself. The only reason people like that film and think it is anything remarkable is because it was the only Miyazaki film up unti The Wind Rises that was made more clearly for adults rather than children and think because it is more mature in tone it must have some greater depth when really it is nothing but a completely shallow mess that was never even supposed to be a feature film that the director regrets ever making.
>>
>>148984144
>Miyazaki said
Are you even reading my posts?
>it is nothing but a completely shallow mess
This is a good start, but you need to elaborate on how you inferred this shallowness and what exactly it means.
>>
>>148980544
I visited the Amalfi coast and Sorrento this year and the entire place was like walking through the story boards of Porco..... then i realised Porco is set on the east coast of the adriatic... architecture didn't seem that different
>>
>>148983996

Not that guy. But its tied for my favorite Ghibli movie because it spoke to me as a budding writer and a teenager who had dumb ideas of what love and relationships are. I pretty much was Shizuku as a teenager. Except, with a penis of course. But the fact that a guy could relate to a female lead in a movie was also strong evidence of why the movie was good.

It also took the amazing detail of background animation from Ocean Waves and magnified it by a factor of 100. I still think it has the best background work of any movie to this day.
>>
>>148983761
>kino
>>>/out/
>>>/tv/
>>>/trash/
>>
>>148984285
yeah, personally I didn't enjoy it because the "budding writer" thing didn't start out until halfway through the movie.
Didn't feel as genuine and I was expecting her to realistically give up.

still, I thought the message was great, and all those personal moments, especially in the violin shop, were golden.
>>
>>148984330

Well, its stated she's a writer pretty much 5 minutes into the movie since she wrote Concrete Road. And hey, yet another reason I like the movie. You catch little nuances like that when watching it multiple times.

But yes, the main focus of the movie is the issue of relationships, not her desire to write. Her desire to write (and Seiji's desire to make violins) are just used to bring them together under a common artistic goal, where before they hated each other. Kind of like a certain young girl in Cross Game being the trigger and not baseball.
>>
File: castle-in-the-sky.jpg (302KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
castle-in-the-sky.jpg
302KB, 1366x768px
I love Castle in the Sky. I don't know if it's the best one but it's definitely my fav one.
>>
>>148984456

Barusu
>>
>>148984247
I inferred this shallowness from the directors own comments on the film. It is essentially just an excuse to animate thing he thinks are cool with a plot bolted on as an excuse. If you think a series of cool looking sequences makes a great film on its own though then I guess you are entitled to that opinion.
>>
File: Kaze_Tachinu_poster.jpg (68KB, 300x419px) Image search: [Google]
Kaze_Tachinu_poster.jpg
68KB, 300x419px
Am I the only one who likes The Wind Rises as the best Ghibli movie?
>>
>>148984522

A person can claim they are just making a movie for themselves. But that doesn't make it shallow. Most of Miyazaki's movies are made with his interests and not catering to fans. Some would say that's what makes his work stand out. Anyone trying to cater to the market certainly wouldn't have made a movie like Laputa or Mononokehime because it would have been too big of a risk. Miyazaki went off and established his own studio to get away from producers who tried to change his ideas to be more 'marketable'. And in doing so, made movies so unique that the market came to him.

The only time Miyazaki has admitted to really aiming for a specific market was Kiki's Delivery Service. And he also stated that he was totally opposed to making the movie because of that. In the end, we got a movie which was well away from the shoujo market his investors wanted. Its a rather dark and 'mature' movie that happens to be in a bright setting and having a female lead. And it broke Japanese box office records.

And no, I wasn't using the term mature to mean mature makes things better. Hence why I put it in quotes. I mean mature in the way that an adult can relate to the themes of the movie and not just young girls. Miyazaki has an ability to make a movie that the general audience can enjoy.
>>
>>148984122
Fuck, now I'm remembering another part of the guy's bio saying the movie was his first film I think.
Other than that I've got nothing but san loss now.
>>
>>148984735
>Am I the only one who likes The Wind Rises
no of course not
>as the best Ghibli movie?
not until he releases his next movie and this one turns out to be better due to nostaligia.
This movie probably had the best relationship out there. Made me misty in the theatre.
>>
File: 141235y1982379841.jpg (74KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
141235y1982379841.jpg
74KB, 800x800px
>>148980544
Why was she so thirsty
Isn't she like 14 and she knows too well he has a woman
>>
>>148980544
No

Kiki is
>>
>>148984838
14 is basically 30 in japan.
>>
File: the-castle-of-cagliostro.png (1MB, 1280x712px) Image search: [Google]
the-castle-of-cagliostro.png
1MB, 1280x712px
>>148984052
Out of all the "Proto-Ghibli" movies, Cagliostro is definitely my favorite. Whereas you can easily see how Nausicaa's messages could have appealed to Miyazaki's personal views, on paper, Lupin the 3rd doesn't seem like something he'd be eager to adapt. Nonetheless, Miyazaki manages to strike a balance between his own views and the source material.

A problem I have with some of Miyazaki's work is that it often comes off as proselytizing. Cagliostro doesn't have this issue. Lupin's desire to liberate Clarice feels more like it's coming from his character, not the director. That's why I like this movie so much. It's the one Miyazaki film where his influence isn't heard, but felt.
>>
>>148984506
I don't get it
>>
>>148983674
But that movie doesn't make me feel good or happy.
>>
>>148984808
Are you talking about Sinbad? The guy who directed it was the animation director for Totoro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8PDyhtL94M
>>
File: V2eZQPm.jpg (472KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
V2eZQPm.jpg
472KB, 2560x1440px
>>148984838

She is a young girl who was obsessed with pilots based on the glorified stories her dad told her. She wanted a fling with the most famous of the sea plane mercenaries. And notice I said a fling. One of the main points of the movie is understanding the difference between having a crush and full on love. In the end, Porco is forced to admit he 'loves' Gina. While Fio and Curtis realize they just had a crush.
>>
>>148984988
Definitely not.
Like I said, the guy wasn't part of Ghibli films but trained under Miyazaki. And holy fuck, you can't look up anything even remotely close to his name or Ghibli without literally every single page being about them.

Here's exactly what I remember
>Producer/director is not part of Ghibli, trained under Miyazaki
>Film was his first I believe
>Isn't from long ago, at the very most 2014 but pretty sure it was out earlier this year or 2015
>Should be a nice somewhat supernatural-ish film like Totoro
>Fairly sure it had some play on momotaro, but no clue
>Name was Japanese, almost want to say something similar to monogatari in spelling or sounding, should be one word like it as well

That's all I can remember because I didn't even get to actually watch it.
>>
>>148985124
Type his name here then and we can go from there.
>>
>>148985340
>thinking I remember his name
If I remembered his name I'd have found it already and wouldn't be asking for help.
>>
>>148984806
Miyazaki has said he aims to make all his films for children and often claims that all anime should be made for children. That's why he says he shouldn't have made Porco Rossi because it was self indulgent and made to cater for what he wanted to see. A film for adults not children.
>>
File: future-boy-conan-529.jpg (40KB, 355x450px) Image search: [Google]
future-boy-conan-529.jpg
40KB, 355x450px
>>148984456

Future Boy Conan > Castle in the Sky
>>
>>148985779

>Miyazaki has said he aims to make all his films for children and often claims that all anime should be made for children.
Where? I never read that. The only times I've heard him say something similar to this was with Spirited Away, which he said was a movie made for his 10 year old granddaughter and all the young kids in Japan. When it comes to some other movies like Totoro or Ponyo, you can argue that the themes of the movie are aimed more at the parents of young kids, not the kids specifically. Though that's just my view. Don't know exactly what Miyazaki himself thought.

>That's why he says he shouldn't have made Porco Rossi because it was self indulgent and made to cater for what he wanted to see.
Again, when did he say this? I've heard him say it was a self-indulgent movie, but never that he should have never made it. And again, there's nothing wrong with a self indulgent movie. They're often a creators best. I wish someone like Spielberg would stop making crappy movies aimed at a market trend and go back to making a movie like Close Encounters of the Third Kind, his pet project that he had to fight to get made.
>>
It would be a strong contender if the ending wasn't so shit.

Spirited Away is the best Ghibli movie. My Neighbour Totoro wins the award for the most overrated one.
>>
>>148985944

M: Because I made Porco, I felt like I can't retire until I somehow make one proper film. I thought I had to produce a work which is truly for children.

Y: When you started Laputa, you said anime has to be for children.

M: Maybe it's related to what's going on in the society, but more and more people now don't consider children as their purpose for making films. Many of our staff members have become over thirty without being married or being parents. When we were at that age, we already had a few children, and our motivation was such that we wanted to tell them "dad made this."
I still think anime has to be made for children. But, our situation changes, and I myself change. While saying "we should make it for children," I find myself making a film which is not for children.
When I reached the conclusion that "I make what I myself think is interesting now," it became something that is no longer for children.
I wish movies for adults were doing better. I wish such things as ticket sales or movie awards would go on without involving anime.[11] It would be better if anime lives in a corner of the movie world, and people say "oh, there is also anime."
If so, I don't have to do interviews or lectures. -laughs- If so, directors and animators, all can work pure and poor, remaining anonymous, just because we want to do the job we can satisfy ourselves. It used to center around what we made, and we could work only by our internal values such as what we learned in this work, if we made progress, or if we could foster people (other animators).
I experienced that era. Seeing from that experience, I feel although anime is in the limelight, or because of it, things are more difficult now.
I'm planning an anime for preschoolers now, but it's been very difficult.
>>
>>148986145

Yes but where is this coming from? Link?
>>
>>148986176
Just paste some in google. You can read his autobiographical books too which are collections of his essays, articles and interviews over the years where he often expresses the same sentiments.
>>
>>148986176
You can easily google what Y says and get it by yourself.
Spoonfeeding is wrong.
>>
>>148986222
>>148986236

>just check google
Why when you can just post a link? I'm not going to say you're lying, but this kind of stuff sure doesn't make you seem creditable.
>>
File: 1415.jpg (57KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1415.jpg
57KB, 1280x720px
Porco Rosso is okay, Howls Moving Castle and Whisper of the Heart will always be the best for me.

Let's all agree Arietty is garbage.
>>
File: 1457213695167.jpg (196KB, 1008x720px) Image search: [Google]
1457213695167.jpg
196KB, 1008x720px
>>148986362
>Doubting someone in a friendly discussion
Hey, faggot. I'm not the person that posted the interview and even I got offended.
Go fuck yourself, dude. If you think that shit is so shady then verify it yourself, prick.
>>
>>148986525

>I'm right because my intentions were good
Come on dude. Instead of turning this into a big ego battle, all he (you) needed to do was post a simple link. You're not going to be banned for posting a link.
>>
>>148986362
Fact-check it yourself if you're sceptical. Fucking lazy ass faggot.
>>
>>148983976
THIS
>>
>>148980544

It is.

/thread.
>>
>>148986385

Thanks for posting with your trip again.
>>
>>148984735
My nigga. It's the best Miyazaki movie. I wish he had tried to make more movies like this during his career.
>>
>>148985124
Is it one of Katabuchi's? Arete Hime or Mai-Mai Miracle?

Doesn't fit the time period though. If you're right about that, there are only so many anime movies from the last couple of years.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.