[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are scanlated manga like this? Replacing the Japanese words

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 029.png (130KB, 832x1200px) Image search: [Google]
029.png
130KB, 832x1200px
Why are scanlated manga like this?
Replacing the Japanese words with translated words.

Why don't manga get translated the way an anime gets subbed instead of dubbed?
That way readers can experience Japanese, the translated words can go in the gaps between panels or just make a new area at the bottom of the image or something.
>>
File: 1319225616001.jpg (193KB, 520x853px) Image search: [Google]
1319225616001.jpg
193KB, 520x853px
>>148963001
>>
File: 1466134541474.jpg (36KB, 400x460px) Image search: [Google]
1466134541474.jpg
36KB, 400x460px
>>148963001
>>
>>148963001
just read the raws and the scanlated version at the same time if it matters to you
>>
obvious
0/jimmies rustled
>>
Because why rely on some random website or program to read your manga when you can just get the raws yourself?
>>
>>148963001
Agreed. Western texts have terrible fonts and ruin the feel of the manga. Japanese fonts are much better.
>>
>>148963347
stop same-fagging you imbecile
>>
Why do subs cover an area within the screen?
Covering the screen means covering the animation, that's an atrocity, but dubs are not an option because they'd remove the Japanese voice and that's worse.
The only option is to have an extra space for the subs so it won't bother with the animation.
>>
EOP go homu
>>
Why are there different languages?
I can't enjoy something to the fullest because translations can't be completely perfect in adapting another language, it's not fair that just because I wasn't born Japanese I can't enjoy anime/manga to the fullest.

Why don't the world form into one unified government with one universal language so I can enjoy any work in the same language it was made?
>>
>>148963528
The US government was going to force Japan to adopt English after WW2, but they pussied out because literacy levels were too high or something.
>>
>>148963588
Imagine a world where Japan speaks English.

Anime probably would've spread through the western world faster.
>>
>>148963588
The US was worried that Japan would rebel and start fighting again if they had English forced on them, so they just left everything as it was.
>>
>>148963001
What manga is that? It looks really pretty but Google gives me nothing.
>>
Dunno,their voices are pretty bad in the manga.
>>
>>148963929
Don't bother, scans are dead.
>>
>>148964011
I don't mind.
>>
>>148964011

Which is funny because I'm talking to the guy who scanlates it. He said "I'd be working on it if it wasn't on hiatus".
>>
>>148964069
Isn't it complete?
I just checked MU and they also mark it as finished so I don't think I'm just misremembering it.
>>
>>148964142

His words not mine. Another friend said "Maybe Enterbrain can give an ETA if I ask again" so who knows.
>>
>>148963001
I know you're just joking, but there is actually a point to be made here regarding sound effects. Sometimes editing out stylized sound effects has a bad impact on the composition of panels and pages.

That doesn't necessarily mean translators shouldn't edit and replace elaborate sfx, but they should only do so if they have a good eye and are willing to put in the effort to make a worthy replacement. If that's not feasible then I do prefer the "translator note" style translation either in small text next to the sound, or between the panel borders.
>>
File: SD.png (591KB, 895x955px) Image search: [Google]
SD.png
591KB, 895x955px
>>
>>148963001
Translated manga looks ugly enough as it is.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.