[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So i've been thinking. A lot of people back in the day

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: not mon franchises.png (2MB, 893x1102px) Image search: [Google]
not mon franchises.png
2MB, 893x1102px
So i've been thinking.

A lot of people back in the day called Zatch/Gash bell a pokemon rip off. Some other people make the comparsion with Jojo/Shaman king, which can the be extrapolated to Persona and SMT, as well as stuff like Medabots.

What exactly counts as a "mon" franchise? A key difference here with the ones mentioned is that each character only has 1 "spirit" or partner, wheras in something like Digimon or Pokemon and so on, you get multiple.

Is there a name for whatever jojo/gash/shaman king is by distinction? Should there be a name?

Also, I wasn't sure if this should go on /v/ or /a/, it sorta pretains to both
>>
I've always called this kind of thing "battle partner" series.
Main characters/humans in general have no real combat power of their own (though in desperate times may join the battle themselves), and do battle by proxy of some sort of companion.
Themes usually revolve around teamwork, trust and friendship.
>>
>>148410653
mon franchises are specifically aimed at monster collecting games and anime
Demikids for example counts as a "mon" franchise
There's also Dragon Drive, Monster Rancher and this one manga about a monster tournament in heaven I forgot the name though. But I think Gash Bell might fight the criteria.
This probably has another more concrete term though.

Shaman King and Jojo are definately their own thing outside the "mon" genre term
>>
>>148410653
Persona's weird, since the protagonist uses tons of personas, but it's never really the main aspect of it. SMT fits the description a bit more since the party members are recruitable.
>>
>>148411016
Gash should be in whatever category shaman king is, for sure. They are the most similar franchises to each other out of everything else in this thread
>>
Whoever compared pokemon and Gash is an idiot, there's nothing related between them. Is any show where someone fights for the MC a pokemon game for them? Is Dragon Ball a Pokemon game when Picollo is doing the fighting?
>>
>>148411159
It was just the immediate assumption dumb kids made back when the Internet was still kind of young and episodes were split into three parts on YouTube. Gash shooting lightning didn't help.
>>
>>148411105
even though Gash and Shaman King are really heavily tournament based, Shaman King doesn't feel like it's about monster collecting since most of the spirits are human, well no, you're right. They even have animal spirits as well as nature spirits.
But there's just something about Shaman King that wont let my mind register it as a "mon" series. Probably because the spirits feel more like characters than tools like most other mon franchises. Like the spirits have a purpose in the plot and world of shaman king and have free will, same with Gash Bell.
But in things like Shin Megami Tensei/Persona and Pokemon, Digimon, ect, the monster collecting aspect is for the hell of it and the monsters are fully subservient
>>
>>148411315
I wasn't even thinking in the tournament sense, I was thinking in the sense that both the spirits in SK and the demons in GB are actual characters themselves to an equal extent, and they are a team rather then a master/servamt
>>
>>148410653
>>148411315
In the Digimon anime you get one partner. Normies out
>>
megami tensei came before pokemon you idiot
>>
>>148412063
I'm aware, didn't mean to imply otherwise
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.