[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Writing in cartoons/manga or just in general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

I have /a/ question. To preface I've lately been trying to be more critical about things I like, not being a cynical cunt but just learning about what is good and why it is such.

So, when it came to good writing I can't really get a good grasp on that. Obviously story itself needs to be interesting, have something that would make you invested in it be it mystery, tension or suspense but when it comes to theme I'm not as certain.

What is the value of a theme? A lot of stories, anime or not usually have something simple revenge, discrimination, growing up. I think pretty much everything has been either explored to sufficient degree at this point or is already obvious to anyone to have any value like balance between order and chaos, injustice, war. When a theme is already well explored is any work in particular doing a decent job of it a plus or what?
>>
>>>/lit/
>>
There are objective values like animation quality, and the plot's adherence to its own canon, and there are subjective values.
Trying to attach objective measurements to the latter is inevitably going to result in failure.
Believing in these "objectified" subjective values makes you look either stupid or pretentious.
Which would you prefer?
>>
>>148236574
I'm not trying to make it an objective thing. I think it's a given that something like a theme and its satisfaction is pretty much entirely subjective. My question is more about what people find or ask from themes that would make them say it's good.
>>
File: area88ost_cdcover01.jpg (75KB, 345x362px) Image search: [Google]
area88ost_cdcover01.jpg
75KB, 345x362px
>>148236446
>tfw nothing like Area 88 will ever come out again
>tfw NO ONE KNOWS YOUR PAIN OF LOVE
>tfw NO ONE KNOWS LONELINESS
>>
>>148236910
I don't think Area 88 was that good desu. It was interesting but all this stuff about "I only know war" was really bad at the end. He just got out, breathed some air and without even trying decided he doesn't fit in anymore and goes back to die. After struggling in the Area 88 and risking his life while watching others die it didn't seem like a reasonable decision for his character, he didn't even care to see his girlfriend.
>>
>>148236994
were you even paying attention?
>It was interesting but all this stuff about "I only know war" was really bad at the end. He just got out, breathed some air and without even trying decided he doesn't fit in anymore and goes back to die.

After he finally got out he couldn't adjust to civilian life. That's an actual thing. The thug's he beats up relive it for just a moment but after being shot at for so long he doesn't know adjust to a life without it. Mickey even talks about this in either the first or second movie for the reason why he's in area 88.

>he didn't even care to see his girlfriend.
He did, he just didn't want to break her heart by seeing him and then running back to war. She only had a vague idea if shin was alive or not anyways. just popping up and going back to war would have destroyed her.
>>
Just throwing this out there OP but you are talking to a board that is currently infatuated by an anime about girls with giant butts trying to buttslam eachother into the pool so you aren't gonna get that many helpful replies, /a/ largely rode the short bus in high school

I myself am pretty retarded and while I tend to appreciate the slightly less retard-tier side of cartoons the first few posts in this thread already made my brain hurt and I was having trouble trying to articulate a helpful reply so I gave up

I was a terrible student and dropped out of community college sorry OP

Area 88 was alright though, could have been better
>>
>>148239938
All that text and nothing to say. No wonder ass slamming gets you so upset.
>>
>>148239286
I was paying attention and the whole part about him not being able to adjust was very badly done. I know it's a thing but the way it was established wasn't shown properly and didn't make sense. Pretty much all the time he spent there he was clearly unhappy about the whole situation and it was shown as an all around terrible experience. Getting back almost right away after struggling so hard to get out didn't make sense.
>>
Generally a theme is something that makes the audience want to think about the show much later after they watch it. It gives them something to chew on while they are, too, and can change how the view certain thoughts and ideas. A lot of the best art and stories in the world was made to directly challenge normally accepted or common thoughts, or to change them, or to show how these thoughts can become destructive, etc.
Theme's themselves are often simple too, generally its about "love" or "war" or "loneliness". 1 word statements. A theme statement is when the story takes that theme and personalizes it.
Themes arent needed at all, a lot of great, fantastic stories don't have themes, but if a piece of work wants to say something, then it usually accompanies a theme along with it, and when something says something your gonna remember it and cherish it for longer
>>
Area 88 has some absolutely awful dialogue.
>>
File: CaTKt8oVAAEyw9O[1].jpg (46KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
CaTKt8oVAAEyw9O[1].jpg
46KB, 600x450px
>>148236446
>I think pretty much everything has been either explored to sufficient degree at this point or is already obvious to anyone to have any value like balance between order and chaos, injustice, war. When a theme is already well explored is any work in particular doing a decent job of it a plus or what?

A theme might sound obvious or simple but It depends entirely on execution and how deep the theme is explored. Not to mention the simpler the theme is, the more universal it is.

A story without any themes won't stand the test of time, and there is always a push to explore themes as eloquently as possible while still reflecting the values of the people of the time.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.