[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>character development Is there a worse buzzword than this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1466855496515.png (16KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1466855496515.png
16KB, 160x160px
>character development
Is there a worse buzzword than this?
Storyfags actually believe that every anime must contain this.
>>
two words
>>
>>147774203
/thread
>>
People use words like that all the time while having no idea what they really mean. Sometimes this place seems no different than MAL with the amount of times people use terms like "direction, pacing, development," incorrectly. Usually it's just "I didn't like it" but they try to pretend they have a more valid reason so they use buzzwords they don't even understand on the most basic level.
>>
Characters who are stagnant and never grow or change is a bad thing though.
>>
>>147774502
Not really. Characters aren't even necessarily important in the first place.
>>
>>147774169
>Posting Ryouma while complaining about character development
You HAVE read the manga, right?
>>
>Storyfags actually believe that every anime must contain this.
Nah, actually it's the hacks who write anime/manga who believe a character must develop in X direction, but that's just what the medium is usually about, coming-of-age stories.
Writing for plot and characters is a shitty focus to have as an author (this is my opinion), but that's what the authors believe themselves to be: storytellers, and a story without conflict and growth (be it positive or negative) is usually a dull affair.
On the other hand, few authors have enough wisdom or talent to express a concept or philosophy with symbols or more abstract terms. No matter how much color or well-depicted a character may be, they'd never be able to drag such a tale for 10 volumes, which is why SoL, to name an exception to the character growth/expanded cast model, is usually episodic.

>>147774363
Post examples, please.
>>
>>147774571
Almost every compelling story can be analyzed under the Hero's Journey which involves some kind of character development.
>>
>>147774169
It's not always strictly necessary, but most of the time watching a character struggle and change is far more interesting than a static character. Even if that "change" is really just reinforcing what sort of person that character was from the beginning.
>>
>>147775462
Ignoring "compelling story" and whatever details are attached to that phrasing (since we aren't talking about that in specific), there are plenty of good pieces of media that don't fall under that model, and plenty more that don't really rely on character development.
>>
Is buzzword a buzzword? Too much people throw around now.
>>
>>147775462
>Almost every compelling story can be analyzed under the Hero's Journey
What the fuck? Hero's Journey is for a pretty specific narrative pattern, it was never intended to apply to all stories, nor does it even remotely.
>>
>>147774169
people who don't care about character development are the same the same people who watch hentai for the plot.

kys
>>
>>147776193
>kys
>>>/facebook/
>>
>>147776193
Fuck you I care about character development and I also like some nice plot with my hentai, sometimes the plot is nice enough that I forget to masturbate.
>>
>>147775133
Examples of what? MAL reviews? Go read them yourself, the fuck?
>>
>>147774169
People use the idea of development as seeing more of the people or something along those lines. Character development is how a character changes/rises up in a way. Sometimes we mistake character depth as development. Let's take Griffith as an example. He isn't a character you would consider developed but his character was complex, that is character depth as we saw more of his motivations, what he stands.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.