[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Characters whose motivations and characterization was done

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

ITT: Characters whose motivations and characterization was done masterfully and interestingly (though one or jsut the other is fine too)
Bonus Points: If their motivation wasn't revealed until basically the last minute
Pic related
>>
>>147745037
>motivations and characterization
>we're nazis and we like war
Masterful.
>>
>>147745037
Nice bait, anon.
>>
>>147745071
Nigger, did you not watch the last episode of Ultimate?
Also, isn't it against the rules to be an ass by reducing any character's motivation to "muh ____".
In that vane, all characters are poorly characterized
>>
File: rikyu.jpg (51KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
rikyu.jpg
51KB, 700x400px
>>
>>147745169
Refresh my memory senpai
Was something about kill the monsters or something?
>>
File: I want to protect that smile.jpg (43KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
I want to protect that smile.jpg
43KB, 1280x720px
>>147745352
No.
The Major has a flashback where he has a despair moment like Dracula did at the gallows of the Turks' that made him into Alucard upon consuming blood.
The Major rejects the blood of his soldiers' reaching out to him on the (extremely German) grounds of his division from other people and individuality being his defining traits as a human being. Where Vampires exist as a consciousness that's mixing and warping and sharing without borders from the ones they drink, human beings have things that are theirs alone.
In particular, a will.
Where Alucard, in his despair, loses his will and his sense of self, the Major rejects that proposition from the dead and holds onto his individual human will that propels him forward. In Hellsing, it's suggested that this is what Humanity truly is: an individual will. A monster, therefore, is something propelled forward by a will that is not their own (as Anderson was by the Nail of Helena and Alucard is by the wills of those he's consumed). His near-death experience and rejection of true vampirism lead him to understand Alucard's nature at his core and so he was compelled by his will and new knowledge to destroy Alucard, who is less than human ("My enemy is not human, my enemy is less than human. Since the dawning of mankind, this has been the battlecry")
A friend was rewatching it and I sat in. It was much smarter than the first time I saw it
>>
>>147745587
>>147745352
so yes, it was kill the monster but the philosophical grounds for what constitutes a monster, especially given how human Alucard seems to be in his composed, sealed form can suggest that he's not a Monster
>>
>>147745587
Thanks senpai.
2deep4me
>>
>>147745587
I love how you pretend this is anything deep by explaining in a fucklong post.
Human have a consciousness and will of their own, monsters like Alucard don't. He despised that and wanted to destroy Alucard as the one who incarnates this very ideal.
>>
>>147745037
He and his monologued were silly and cheesy, Anderson was a much more charismatic and interesting villain.
>>
>>147746144
This. He was also cool as a brief anti-hero.
>>
>>147745699
Well it helps that it's actually well delivered in the dub.
>>
>>147746036
And it isn't because you said so?
>>
Wait so what did alucard really mean when he said only a human can kill a monster? Only good can triumph over evil otherwise there's no point?
>>
>>147746144
Charismatic, yes.
Interesting, near the end more given how he began to re-consider his relationship with Hellsing and Alucard.

The Major is similar in that, until the final episode, he was effectively just a well-spoken embodiment of Nazi's love of war.

By the end, you get this fundamental motivation based in his philosophy that, you also learn, was not something he had during WW2 but only gained near the end, when he was confronted with a similar situation as Alucard.
>>147746036
I didn't say deep, I just said interesting.
This particular philosophical crux of a character is one that I haven't seen before much and was well expositioned in the final episode, I feel
>>
>>147745587
>It was much smarter than the first time I saw it
Do you faggots ever read manga?
>>
>>147746478
What does deep even mean anyway? I feel like trying to call anything deep is stupid at this point.
>>
>>147746480
Hellsing manga has garbage translations though and I'm too lazy to learn nip.
>>
>>147746480
Nah, I saw the original anime first and heard the Manga had a whole other shtick so I checkout Ultimate when I heard it was following that
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.