[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Favourite Studio Ghibli Movie?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

File: studioghibli.jpg (68KB, 1829x1028px) Image search: [Google]
studioghibli.jpg
68KB, 1829x1028px
Favorite Studio Ghibli Movie?

For me it's Princess Mononoke
>>
>>147656601
Kaguya-hime and Princess Mononoke
>>
>>147656601
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzSETPPOgFM
>>
>>147656601
Umi ga Kikoeru.
>>
Totoro but honestly there are so many masterpieces in that studio it's fucking crazy.
>>
Spirited away.
>>
>>147656601
Kaguya Hime and Mononoke.

The Wind Rises too.
>>
Ponyo. On the cliff. By the sea,
>>
>>147659498
I think it's the prettiest anime movie from the studio, perhaps ever made.
>>
>>147659590
how can you think that over mononoke
>>
>>147659659
Because of the storm scenes.
>>
>>147659659
Princess Mononoke? It looks great but Ponyo is an open celebration of everything to do with hand drawn animation. Beautiful watercolour backgrounds, vivid expressionist colour choices. Princess Mononoke looks stunning, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't blow me away like Ponyo does. If you haven't seen it in a while, consider a rewatch - I did just that and was honestly floored by the fucking thing.
>>
>>147659815
>If you haven't seen it in a while
I was hardly able to watch in the first place what with it being childishly cute
>>
>>147659983
No proper adult is too grown up for a good kid's movie.
>>
>>147659983
>childishly cute
But that's something good.
>>
>>147660581
eh I'm not into anything moeish didn't dig the colour either
mononoke is a master piece the score the 2deep4u meaning behind the story the animation
>hand fucking painted with such detail

its my #2 for anime period
>>
>>147660738
What's your number one? Cowboy Bebop?
>>
>>147660784
GITS I know pleb4lyf
>>
>>147660738
More than moe or cute, Ponyo is plain childish, which is nothing bad because that's the entire point of it, a celebration of childhood fantasies, a "back to the roots" of the animated pictures. It's the most pure and unadulterated children tale, and of course it has all the colors of the rainbow on it.
>>
File: 517082.jpg (714KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
517082.jpg
714KB, 1920x1080px
Kaguya-hime, My Neighbor Totoro and Mononoke.

I'm not saying all their other movies are bad, they are still extremely good. But they do have bad movies like The Cat Returns.
>>
I kinda like all of them except for Tales from Earthsea (meh), fucking Ponyo crap (animation was good though) and Grave of the Fireflies because as good it is you can't watch it again
>>
File: S9LLPFq.jpg (109KB, 1920x1038px) Image search: [Google]
S9LLPFq.jpg
109KB, 1920x1038px
Kiki's Delivery Service is definitely the comfiest one
>>
>>147661169
Fuck you
>>
File: kk.png (29KB, 370x569px) Image search: [Google]
kk.png
29KB, 370x569px
Takahata > Miyazaki
>>
>>147661169
this is a reasonable opinion. GotF wrecked me from start to finish, especially because I'm a big brother.

Ponyo I feel like I should give another shot, but it really rubbed me the wrong way how a fucking tsunami ruined everybody's livelihoods but they all just sit around talking about breastfeeding and shit like it's okay. And then everyone told Sosuke to "be strong" and fight for Ponyo's love, but in the end all he had to do was run away from David Bowie of the Sea, who wasn't even a bad guy and just wanted to help?

And Earthsea wasn't nearly as good as the books. I don't think it works very well stand-alone, either.

My #1 favorite would have to be Laputa, though. Just a wonderful fantasy adventure.
>>
>>147661283
>rottentomatoes
How credible of you, anon.
>>
>>147661324
More than your taste
>>
>>147661346
What?
>>
the Academy Awards choice: Spirited Away
the Childhood Nostalgia choice: Totoro
the Mature Anime for Mature Viewers choice: Mononoke
the Didn't Read the Manga choice: Nausicaa
the Gentlemen of Discerning Taste choice: Porco Rosso
the Absolute Mad Man choice: Pom Poko

Which one are you, /a/?
>>
>>147661605
There are other choices
>>
File: vlcsnap-error864.png (436KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-error864.png
436KB, 720x480px
Best by far, even with the rather rushed ending.

Also has a really good dub.
>>
>>147661321
You're way overthinking Ponyo.
>>
>>147661605
The Ghibli isn't Miyazaki choice.
>>
Laputa obviously
>>
Totoro
>>147658350
>The Wind Rises
This is patrician choice.
>>
>>147661283
I agree with you but I also hope you kill yourself.
>>
>>147658350
>The Wind Rises
I just wish Miyazaki had tried to do this kind of movie before.
>>
>>147658350
>>147665347
>>147665828

My niggas. Why do I never hear a fucking word said about The Wind Rises? I watched it expecting very little and was blown away.
>>
>>147665347
>>147665828
I felt like Wind Rises was critically underappreciated for a long time, I'm so glad it's getting this kind of praise.
>>
>>147665828
Anno ruined it. Miyazaki was gonna have MC commit suicide but Anno said it would be better if he just implied the intentions of committing suicide and got over it.
If Miyazaki had gone with the former it would be the most pessimistic thing he'd have ever done.
>>
>>147666155
I guess because it's not at all what you are expecting when you watch a Miyazaki film.
>>
>>147666253
Fuck that, ending the way it did was perfect. "The wind is rising, we must live!" - a message not of optimism or pessimism but of perseverance. There are all these terrible things in the film. The earthquake, the war, Jiro's treatment of his wife. But the film refuses to take a stand for or against any of them. It's not celebrating Jiro's work, nor is it condemning it. This ambivalent stance is in a way the most powerful thing that could've been said, I think. I simply can't imagine it being the masterpiece it is if it were as you describe.

Fuck me every time I think about this movie too hard I get all choked up, this thing is seriously good.
>>
Marnie.
Cat Returns a close second.
I loved Totoro though too.

Still need to watch Porco Rosso, Mononoke (the idea of Miyazaki's political bullshit puts me off), and Ponyo.
>>
>>147666664
The movie got criticized in West I think for not condemning Jiro's action I think. People really missed the point on that one.
>>
>>147661105
fuck you The Cat Returns is gud
>>
>>147656601
Nausicaa.
I love almost all their movies though so it's not very important.
>>
Mononoke, Laputa, and Lupin are my top 3
>>
>>147662186
>rather rushed ending.
I'm curious about that, what was that all about?
Like they didn't even leave it ambitious or something, they just flat-out narrate what the hell happens to all the characters except Porco and then "Fin" happens.
>>
>>147667213
It's not completely and utterly bad but it's not memorable. It has fun moments and all but in the end you feel a bit disappointed.

By the way, when I went to the Ghibli Museum a few months ago, I didn't see ANYTHING about The Cat Returns.
>>
>>147667609
Speak for yourself. The Cat Returns was one of the few Ghibli movies that left me feeling satisfied.
>>
>>147656601
Whisper of the Heart
>>
>>147667609
>Ghibli Museum

Might as well rename it Miyazaki Museum because it has almost nothing to do with Takahata's movies either.
>>
Honorable mentions go to Princess Kaguya, Kiki and Cat Returns
>>
>>147656601
Mononoke for me. Howl's was a mess and probably one of my least favorite Ghibli films, but I still liked it overall.
>>
>>147657262
ocean waves really is a gem that i don't even understand why i like because wow that girl is a shitty person, but i liked it a lot.

my emotional favorite is totoro though, because i watched it as a toddler and them doing the tree dance and then flying away on the spinning top with the music in the background was like, WOW SO AMAZING I'M METAPHORICALLY FLYING THROUGH THE AIR ALONG WITH THEM SQUEEE
>>
>>147669385
What about Mononoke?
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.