[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would it take to for cartoons to resemble this again?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

File: Same Studio.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Same Studio.webm
2MB, 640x480px
What would it take to for cartoons to resemble this again?

Last topic died.
>>
Outsource cartoons to japan again, problem solved. The west can't animate for shit anymore.
>>
>>147627408
Return to the 80s
>>
you're gonna have to be more specific anon
>>
>>>/co/86484151

I'm sorry for revealing that I'm a filthy crossposter (despite this being my homeboard) but ignore OP. He's a famous shitposter on /co/ obsessed with Tokyo Movie Shinsa.
>>
>>147627627
This autist makes the same fucking thread at least once a weak.
>>
Money
A lot of money.

So get rich and pour it into cartoons anon
>>
>>147627408

The reason cartoons are so shitty or CGI based in America is because of how they're seen as something for children. Notice how every "cartoon" (that includes 100% CGI stuff) is either for children or it's of the Family Guy/Simpsons variety.

If I remember correctly, Madoka Rebellion went up against some Disney movie a while ago for the Oscars, and the bulk of judges basically shoo'd it off under the premise that it wasn't suitable for children.
>>
>>147627408
That cartoon doesn't even look that good, try Popeye.
>>
>>147628650
To be honest Madoka rebellion is trash.
>>
Which Lupin is that, Fuuma Conspiracy?
>>
>>147628915

I think it's decent, but it's certainly no savior of anime. However, a recent winner of the Oscars for animated film was Big Hero 6. That movie, plot included, was utter shit. It was also up against Song of the Sea (which was infinitely better).
>>
>>147629016
Oh yeah not defending the oscars here, they are a worthless joke not only in the animation category.
>>
>>147629072

That's my issue though. Americans have a strange perception of animation. Unless it's something like Family Guy, it HAS to be for children. I'm not even sure why though. Mind you, I am NOT talking about telling your friends you watch stuff like To Love Ru; I mean people will give you a funny look even for "normal" stuff like NGE, GitS, Miyazaki stuff, and so on.
>>
>>147628650
The Oscars are a huge fucking joke anyway. Especially the animation section, most of the judges freely admit that they haven't seen any of the movies and just vote either based on what their kids like or just vote for Disney every time as a "safe bet".

When one judge was asked why he voted for Big Hero 6 over When Marnie was There or Song of the Sea he said that "every other film was some fucking Chinese fucking shit that no one's ever heard of."

Award show in general, but especially the Oscars, are complete garbage.
>>
File: 1301696779181.jpg (31KB, 498x363px) Image search: [Google]
1301696779181.jpg
31KB, 498x363px
>>147629192

>Song of the Sea
>some fucking Chinese fucking shit that no one's ever heard of
>SotS is a French/Irish production
>mfw
>>
>>147627408
Wait what Lupin season/movie/whatever is this from?
>>
>>147627447
>can't animate for shit
Anon plz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nMo8duNJNU
>>
>>147629279
People really don't sufficiently value French animation, even though they really, really should.
>>
File: 1437373614462.jpg (72KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1437373614462.jpg
72KB, 1280x720px
>>147629377
>CGI
>GOOD
>>
File: Le_tense_orgasm.jpg (44KB, 431x500px) Image search: [Google]
Le_tense_orgasm.jpg
44KB, 431x500px
>Watch Superman The Animated Series
>Any scene with large scale destruction, mechs beying destroyed or rubble being destroyed
>>
>>147629475
That's pretty much the best CGI on earth. If you think that's shit I can't do anything for you, you're brainwashed.
>>
>>147629576

He might be suggesting that CGI is a bad medium in general compared to hand drawn, rather than saying it's just bad CGI.
>>
>>147628650
>>147629192
It wasn't Madoka, or Marnie from that year, it was Kaguya, actually.

Madoka of course wasn't even nominated, but in the list of recommendations.
>>
>>147627408
Stop using fucking flash or 3D and draw by hand again
>>
>>147629424
There's some really good stuff from France, but a lot of people, at least of /co/, get hung up on Code Lyoko.

>>147629475
CGI can be good when the studio bothers putting money into it, but they usually use CGI to avoid having to spend money so 9 times out of 10 it looks ugly.
That being said, Rango has some of the best CG ever made so you should probably actually watch it before dismissing it.
>>
>>147627627
It's not who you think it is
I'm just a random Anon proving a point about /a/ apparently ignoring such a thread
>>
>>147629617
yes that's exactly what i said, jesus
>>147629576
>>147629712
>>
>>147629619
Using flash has nothing to do with it being good or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOuNeX9kmWw
>>
>>147627408
Outsource to russia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LNHYz89sNc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teIOMLgaoyk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2_dhUv_CrI
>>
>>147629377
That's 3D animation, retard. We're obviously talking about 2D here.
>>
>>147629838
Except it's not bad at all.
>>
File: Deko Smug.png (97KB, 372x351px) Image search: [Google]
Deko Smug.png
97KB, 372x351px
>>147629850
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2_dhUv_CrI
>>
Those cartoons were usually less than 5 minutes long. Animating at that level for 30 is another matter.
>>
File: a8bWnp1_700b.jpg (20KB, 363x364px) Image search: [Google]
a8bWnp1_700b.jpg
20KB, 363x364px
>>147629884
you tried
>>
>>147629880
In that case he has a point as long as you ignore the internet.
>>
>>147627408
This doesn't belong here.

>>>/co/
>>
>>147629983
The distinction is arbitrary.
>>
The ending credits for Kubo were beautifully done in 2D animation. The main movie was also amazingly animated, but that's stop motion, so it doesn't count, apparently.
>>
>>147630022
No, it's not. If it's shit it goes to /co/, so stay there.
>>
>>147630997
What are you doing here then?
>>
>>147627447
Wrong. Best TV aired animation of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XEQUxFrPOI
>>
>>147627408
Cel animation? Duh.
But that's not gonna happen ever again, so case closed.
>>
>>147627447
Neither Japan
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPI3cUA7FuA

This actually aired in german TV
>>
>>147631262
>wifebeaters actually believe this
>people still watch adult swim in the current year
>>>/out/
>>
>>147631589
was this made by DEEN?
>>
>>147629712
I do think Code Lyoko fight scenes can be kind of cool.

Lastman is very disappointing especially on an animation standpoint.

I still hope it opens so ways for "adult" animation in this country. The 2 Queens doesn't appeal to me even though the animation seems great, but that's a Japanese team of animators.
>>
>>147631589
The garbage quality is part of the joke though
>>
>>147627447
>Outsource cartoons to Korea again

FTFY
>>
>>147632088
Cartoons were outsourced to Japan back in the 80s and 90s, mainly TMS. Only recently the US has started working with the Koreans, and it shows since most of them have a pretty horrid quality.
>>
Looney Tunes were truly the greatest thing to ever come out of US television.
>>
>>147629377
that voice kill it
>>
>>147632369
Tom and Jerry mother fucker.
>>
>>147629016
Don't forget it was also up against Kaguya-hime Monogatari.
>>
>>147632135
ed edd and eddy had animations done in korea
>>
>>147632369
>>147632593
Those were created for theater, not television.
>>
>>147632088
Yes, that worked so well for the Simpsons. Actually, most stuff today is outsourced to koreans. It's not at all an indication of quality.
>>
>>147627408

Anon, why would you want Cartoons to look like that when we have this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S72fopu0UQ
>>
This is what western cartoons are heading to if we don't do something about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fxls1XrcJc
>>
big business, cal arts, and the whole "adult" vs "childish" stuff killed western animation
>>
You can't.

The sad truth: anime and western cartoons are not as popular as they used to be. They pull in a lot less revenue. Western cartoons especially since they used to be fueled by selling action figures and toys, which kids don't buy anymore. This is also a result of the aging population, in both the west and Japan.

Less popularity = less ad revenue = less funding = shitty animation
>>
>>147627447
This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMf2OXJcvhI
>>
post those popeye webms. that shit was silky smooth
>>
>>147633270
so basically we blame women and jews
>>
>>147629164
It's just a series of historical decisions. Animation broke out as a thing with comedy so comedy became the focus. Everyone also wanted to copy the most successful at the time (Disney) and Disney's family friendly thing sort of became the norm. Not that you would be funded for anything deemed immoral. So your chances of telling a meaningful story with maybe risque, violent, or out-there elements was next to zero. It was already hard enough to do that in live action, just look up all the trouble they went with out of touch executives to make the first Star Wars. And Hollywood hates taking risks. Plus it's run by old people with old people judgements. Basically the US had an environment that made genre and medium defining works next to impossible and now there are entrenched prejudices from that era.

Lastly, this J.R.R Tolkien quote explains it very well

>the association of children and fairy-stories is an accident of our domestic history. Fairy-stories have in the modern lettered world been relegated to the “nursery,” as shabby or old-fashioned furniture is relegated to the play-room, primarily because the adults do not want it, and do not mind if it is misused.

In his day all fantasy was considered kids stuff (you could argue it still kind of is by /lit/ snobs, but people try to tell meaningful stories, or harmeshit, whatever, with fantasy now. LOTR is partially credited with breaking this typecasting.)

Video games had the same problem early on but now look at it. There's something in it for everyone for different demographics and ages. This for kids stuff is what happens when a medium fails to break out of its initial typecasting (comedy shorts born from the days of nickelodeons) and produce something deemed unique, revolutionary, and/or meaningful.

Maybe someday we'll get weeb executives or producers who will greenlight older audience animation that aren't Simpsons clones.

Western animation, or at US animation, needs a LOTR or Star Wars.
>>
>>147633729

>Western animation, or at US animation, needs a LOTR or Star Wars.

I'd very much like to see that happen, but it seems US animation is stuck in a rut of Disney CGI (since even Disney doesn't want to do animation anymore), coupled with cartoon animals. That is not to say Japanese animation is without fault (get rid of the highschool setting starring kids in the highschool age range already for fuck's sake).
>>
>>147629903
It was quite symbolic and avantgarde.
>>
>>147633093
>tfw Ed, Edd n Eddy and Fosters ending in 2009 killed western animation forever
Goddamn it feels like just yesterday when Western Animation was kill
>>
>>147632941
That was actually kinda sad how they couldn't bond in the end.
>>
>>147633729
>Video games had the same problem early on but now look at it.
Look at what?
Video Games were much better when they were "for kids"
Now all we get is either Cinematic AAA/Open World By the Numbers Trash or Indie Garbage

Fuck you you little shit
>>
>>147633981
It's because the entertainment industry hates risk, which is kind of understandable. You're putting time and money in a project that could flop.

When something genre or medium defining manages to come out it goes something like

>break through work is released
>influx of shitty copy cats trying to cash in
>works that were inspired by it or similar yet ignored works that came out around the same time manage to rise above the turds
>things settle down and "clones" start to branch and deviate
>some of the things from the initial work become cliche/diluted/present when it doesn't need to be (like highschool settings, cartoon animals, and the generic fantasy races taken from D&D which in turn took from the surface level bits of Tolkien's setting)

And at this point it becomes familiar and safe, ironically enough.
>>
>>147633270
This is the truth
In fact I would say this for TV in general
I haven't watched TV in years(except for sports which I don't count)
>>
>>147633729
>Western animation, or at US animation, needs a LOTR or Star Wars.
No it doesn't
Cartoons are not fucking Anime you fucking retard

Cartoons need proper cartoonist back who know what they're fucking doing and have appreciation for the Golden Age of American Animation unlike these tumblrtards
>>
>>147634802
>It's because the entertainment industry hates risk
Remember Titan A.E anyone
That was a huge flop
>>
>>147635179
These things aren't mutually exclusive. The statement was figurative, it doesn't need to be Scifi or Fantasy. Those two works just had a lot of influence. You need something that stands out but isn't a flop and will inspire people to work on similar projects. You don't magically make proper cartoonists appear out of thin air.
>>
>>147634678
I was thinking of the arcade and Atari 2600 days more than anything else. It was considered a fad that almost died. But I guess you could count the early 2000s as well with the GTA controversy. I'm just gonna say though that people who complain about indie stuff are part of the problem. Most AAA studios are pussies who feel that you can't compete with f2p and mobile with good mechanics alone so indie games may be our only hope.
>>
>>147631589
kinda amusing
for what it is
>>
>>147632369
>>147632593
Twilight Zone.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.