[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This show is excruciating. I know it's meant to be relaxing,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 34

File: 77620l.jpg (85KB, 315x450px) Image search: [Google]
77620l.jpg
85KB, 315x450px
This show is excruciating. I know it's meant to be relaxing, but it crosses the line from "relaxing" into "extremely boring" at 90mph and keeps going, hurtling at breakneck pace towards "ennui-inducing sedative" territory.

Not a single character in this show has anything to them at all beyond a single trait.

How is the third series of this show one of the most revered and highly-rated anime of all time? Does it get better? I'm on episode 8 of Aria: The Animation and I don't think I can take any more 20 minute doses of a boat moving slowly around.

On top of it all, Akari is just annoying. Imagine inviting Akari to a party. "Hey, good party, right Akari?" you'd say. Then she'd burst out crying and say "Maybe... maybe it's a miracle that we're all here, all of us together at this party. I'm so happy." And you'd be like, "uhhh, it's just a party dude", then you'd feel uneasy the rest of the night while that saccharine pink haired idiot sobs with ecstasy in the corner.

Non Non Biyori kicks the everloving shit out of this.
>>
>>147258376
Read the manga.
>>
I agree
But if some people need "healing" whathever this is supposed to heal then good for them
>>
>>147258376
You need a certain mental maturity to enjoy it. I was too childish when I picked up Aria for the first time.
But 5 years later I loved it.
>>
>>147258691
Maybe you went senile or got hit on the head in the intervening 5 year period.
>>
>>147258754
Maybe.
>>
>>147258376
Oh boy, don't even get started with Amanchu, OP.

>Hey, good party, right Akari?
Teko would answer that question by internal monologuing her insecurities.
>>
>>147258691
Its the complete opposite, only damaged people can enjoy these works.
Your autism got worse from watching too much anime is what happened
>>
>>147258376
It's not the best I've seen. I am at episode 12 of the first season, and I did end up liking it more than I liked it in the beginning, and found some enjoyment in some episodes, but with how people praise it, it may very well be one of the most overrated anime of all time.
It's not bad, but it's not really that amazing either. It's good at best.
>>
>>147258376
>Then she'd burst out crying and say "Maybe... maybe it's a miracle that we're all here, all of us together at this party. I'm so happy." And you'd be like, "uhhh, it's just a party dude", then you'd feel uneasy the rest of the night while that saccharine pink haired idiot sobs with ecstasy in the corner.
That's why Aika's there to point out how lame she is.
>>
>>147258376
I know that feel. I had to drop it too, made it 9 episodes or so in, couldn't stomach any more of it.
There's really no reason to force yourself to watch it just because it's popular, maybe it just didn't 'click' with us.
>>
Aria is nice and comfy. If you find it boring its just not for you. Its an iyashikei and its a cartoon. Move on and watch some mindless shounen, I recommend maybe Naruto or Attack on Titan.
>>
>>147258376
you clearly don't enjoy it, so don't watch it
>>
Amano the author of Aria said in an interview that this kind of manga is for people who want something relaxing. Its intended for young adults and middle aged office workers to release the stress after a bad day or job.
If it bores you, drop it or read the manga, you might like it more than anime.
>>
>>147259007
Wait until you're done with season 3. Aria is one of these shows that only really hits you hard when it's over and you look back on the relaxing nostalgic memories.
>>
>>147258376
>Then she'd burst out crying and say "Maybe... maybe it's a miracle that we're all here, all of us together at this party. I'm so happy." And you'd be like, "uhhh, it's just a party dude", then you'd feel uneasy the rest of the night while that saccharine pink haired idiot sobs with ecstasy in the corner.
Have you never felt gratitude for having good people in your life? Feeling humbled by the thought that you are fortunate to have a roof over your head, money in your bank account and food in your belly? This is suppose to be a show that guides you to think like that.
>>
Tokyo Ghoul is the right anime for you.
>>
>>147259325
You must've enjoyed it so much to recommend it.
>>
>>147259117
>getting assblasted over a chink cartoon for little girls
get a load of this fag
>>
>>147259378
Fuck you leatherman
>>
>>147259117
Because this isnt mindless?
>>
>>147259374
Nah, the OP just sounds like someone who enjoys edgy, fast paced, mindless anime. Certainly not the type of person who I want to hang around or drink a cup of tea while watching the sun set and remembering some nostalgia and the beautiful scenery.
>>
File: 1422308473288.jpg (55KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1422308473288.jpg
55KB, 500x500px
>>147258376
>>
>>147258376
stop trying to marathon it, asstard. there's a reason everyone who recommends this series says not to watch it all in one sitting. relaxation is only effective if taken in moderate doses. watch 1-2 episodes a day and leave it at that.
>>
>>147259504
dumb fishposter
>>
>>147259270
Was planning to take a break from Aria after I finish the first season. I may get back to it eventually, when I finish some other SoL, though.
Finishing Tamayura and YKK is higher on my priority list as far as comedyless SoL goes, so Aria will have to wait.

>>147259325
>>147259117
There are more types of anime than mindless shounen action and Aria, you know. For example, comedies, or deep stuff, or things with character development.
>>
>>147259117
I don't like battle shounen either. That's why I picked something like Aria in the first place. My favourite anime of all time is still Azumanga Daioh, and I chose Aria because it sounded like it might be in the same vein, a sort of chilled out Azumanga. I dropped that expectation halfway through the first episode to let it grow on me with it's own merits, and it just isn't doing so at all.

It's interesting that these are called "healing" or "soothing" shows, because I was decidedly un-soothed. Let me describe my relaxing Aria experience:
I start an episode. My stomach turns, anticipating the tedium ahead.
The episode proceeds as I fight to stay awake. Despite striving to keep my eyes open, I inevitably fall asleep in a weird position in the chair, making my neck go stiff. Opposite of healing.
If I make it to the end of an episode, I close the video and then just lie on my floor, anguish-stricken, knowing that 24 precious minutes are gone forever. Not soothed.

>>147259295
Yes. I actually agree with Akari's philosophy, and she's still pissing me off every time she opens her mouth to make another insufferable observation about how wonderful her life and her one-dimensional friends are. I can't even imagine how much she'd be getting on my nerves if I didn't fundamentally agree with what she's saying.

She does it non-stop though, a trite twee phrase machine. You could probably punch her in the mouth and she'd launch into a 5 hour soliloquy on the wonders of being alive.

>>147259448
I love how anime is apparently a binary between "boring boats" and "edgy fast paced [mindlessness]" to you.

>>147259510
I've been watching one a day.
>>
>>147259510
Okay. Thanks, Doc.
>>
>>147259445
Nope. Read the interview from the manga author where she talks about it. Aria is way more than mindless. Its intention is to sooth the audience. You need the right mindset to enjoy it. Its the same thing as Only Yesterday anime. A niche title, but the older you are the more you appreciate it.
>>
>>147258376
>This show is excruciating. I know it's meant to be relaxing, but it crosses the line from "relaxing" into "extremely boring" at 90mph and keeps going, hurtling at breakneck pace towards "ennui-inducing sedative" territory.
>Not a single character in this show has anything to them at all beyond a single trait.
>How is the third series of this show one of the most revered and highly-rated anime of all time? Does it get better? I'm on episode 8 of Aria: The Animation and I don't think I can take any more 20 minute doses of a boat moving slowly around.
>On top of it all, Akari is just annoying. Imagine inviting Akari to a party. "Hey, good party, right Akari?" you'd say. Then she'd burst out crying and say "Maybe... maybe it's a miracle that we're all here, all of us together at this party. I'm so happy." And you'd be like, "uhhh, it's just a party dude", then you'd feel uneasy the rest of the night while that saccharine pink haired idiot sobs with ecstasy in the corner.
This is all incorrect. ARIA is a great anime.
>Non Non Biyori kicks the everloving shit out of this.
This is, however, correct.
>>
>>147259576
Who cares about what the author thinks?
This is mindless and boring I dont care what they intended, they failed
>>
>>147259576
The older I get the less I can stand these slow shows actually
Im 35
Maybe it goes up and down
>>
fucking ESL
>>
>>147259570
Thats pretty stupid to force yourself to watch it.Just drop it and move on. Its clearly not for you.
>>
>>147258376
I used to watch an episode of Aria to battle my insomnia. Sometimes, I would doze off in the middle of the episode because of how comfy it is. That's a good thing.
>>
Wasn't a fan when I was watching S1 but I really liked Natural.
>>
>>147259626
For you. Now move on and stop wasting your live complaining about cartoons. If you dont like it just watch something else.
>>
>>147259724
And prefered it to Origination to be honest.
>>
>>147259741
Ill complain all I want, this is not a hugbox
Complaning and praising are both important, I dont care if an opposing opinion upsets you
>>
>>147259669
You are the right age for Only Yesterday. I recommend you watc it and if you will not appreciate it (not neccessarily enjoy) then your mind is not as mature as you might think.
>>
>>147259741
Not every Aria thread has to be a circlejerk.
>>
>>147259815
I think judging people´s state of maturity by the shows the enjoy is highly immature.
>>
I don't really understand how someone could not like this if they aren't the type to enjoy shit like Naruto. It's the story of a few really cute girls in an absolutely beautiful, futuristic city, working a job that many of us could only dream of. The soundtrack is serene, the visuals are not incredible or anything, but the art is really nice, and again, the girls are cute. What is there not to like about Aria?
>>
watching aria just left me more depressed coming out then when I did coming in.
>>
>>147259791
It certainly upsets you, if you are still complaining about it or watching it. Its just a fucking cartoon. You are either a child or a manchild. Choose now.
>>
>>147259875
>no u

At least try
>>
Free punctuation:
' . , ? : ;
Free capital letters:
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Take whatever you need.
>>
>>147259875
we are all manchildren here
>>
>>147259914
Are you lost, buddy?
>>
>>147259840
Nah, if people in their 20's like pokemon, naruto and code geass I will think they are immature.

And if they think Serial Experiments Lain, Only Yesterday and Hyouge Mono is boring, then they are certainly not very smart. Dumb probably.
>>
>>147259914
Please remove the semicolon; nobody knows how to use it.
>>
>>147258376
The sidekick character made it unwatchable for me. I can't enjoy a universe where such a creepy cat exists.
>>
Season 1: "This is so boring, why this so popular, just gonna sleep."
Season 2: "Alright, let's continue, so good there is 2 cour this season"
Season 3: "WHAT IS SHE DOING TO HER SECOND GLOVE ?! OH MY GOD"
>>
>>147259989
That goes against what most people on this board agree on
That you can enjoy cute things being silly because it heals you and its cute

So I strongly disagree lets leave it at that
ps Lain was boring
>>
>>147259990
>i went to high school
nicely done, friendo
>>
>>147260044
Good double but who are you quoting?
>>
>>147259989
What if I'm a teen and I like Lain because it's deep?
>>
Well op, there's really not much else to say, i understand you not enjoying aria, but /a/ is general holds the show very close to its heart ever since /ab/ days.
Doubt it you will be able to get any kind of thread going really.
>>
>>147260030
Ofc it bored you. You need to watch something dumb where you turn your brain off to not be bored.
>>
>>147259989
OP here, I'll go ahead and say I thought Lain was boring too. Really enjoyed the visuals in the first episode when it seemed like Lain was losing her mind in class, but after that it quickly descended into a very plodding, monotonous plot that was somehow simultaneously overwrought and shallow.

It's pretty grim to prescribe certain shows which you'll allow yourself to enjoy based on your age, because you're both missing out on a lot of fantastic shows aimed at a younger audience and also, transparently to everyone except yourself, giving undue credit to shows which you've deemed worthy of your age.

I'm 28, just for reference.
>>
>>147260133
You are so simple.
>>
>>147260097
People who like Lain because its "deep" are just as immature as those who think Lain is "boring. You just dont understand the quality of its writing and directing. You are clearly a teen still, yes.
>>
Thank god I'm not the only one. Aria bored the crap out of me.
>>
>>147260152
Lain is shallow ? You certainly dont understand it then, if you truely think this.
>>
>call something boring
>people who like it immediately suggest popular brainless action shows
>as if everything that gets called "boring" because it's slow and not because it is just as brainless without anything else to compensate
every time
>>
>>147260152
If that is your actual age, then this is just sad.
>>
>>147260345
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>147260297
Must be. It can't be that the show's symbolism (which is what I referred to as overwrought) is very basic and plot very sparse, or that it's extremely dated to the late 90s, it must be that I'm too much of a dipshit to get it, unlike you.

>>147260350
I know, right? I wish I could be more like you, you're the one who really gets it.
>>
>>147260297
I'd love to see a shot by shot exploration of Lain's thematic and textual depth, and why it needed to be so long, because I never see it in Lain threads. But I do get cute Lain pictures, people saying "Lain is love, Lain is life," and gifs from that one trippy Lain site.
>>
Today I've learned that nobody over a certain age is able to experience boredom, and anyone who is ever bored by anything is a mental child.
>>
>>147260345
You have no clue. You need to watch more anime and expand your knowledge on animation and history in general. Start with some Dezaki from 70's and move from there. When you watched at least 500+ anime then say thins again.
>>
Did we ever come to a consensus on which Naruto character has the greatest pain?
>>
>>147260480
There are tons of reviews and 20 pages analysis on Lain. Google a little. Lain is not dated. Its one of the best 90's anime and its an essential and iconic titles. You dont like it yes, but its still critically acclaimed. Deal with it.
>>
>>147260485
And all you have to say is "watch more anime." It's so easy, isn't it? Get a grip.
>>
>>147260350
You are the only sad person in this thread, a judgmental sad person
>>
>>147260206
Wait, how can I appreciate the depth of Lain without some understanding of its writing? This is confusing.
>>
A case of godfather sucks syndrome
Did you drop the show OP?
>>
>>147260485
>you need to watch 100s of awful mecha shows, then anything looks good in comparison!
How about just watching the 100s of anime that are already good, even without needing to compare them to absolute trash to make them good in comparison?
>>
>>147260549
>critically acclaimed
What critics? How many anime "critics" are there? And why should we put more stock in their opinions than ours? Roger Ebert gave Revenge of the Sith 3.5/4 stars and elaborately detailed why. And none of it changes that /a/'s Lain fanbase is too dumb to come up with their own conclusions about the show, so they don't and they stick to calling Lain cute. You think because some autist wrote 20 pages on why MLP is a masterpiece makes it so?
>>
File: 57591077_p0.jpg (131KB, 551x808px) Image search: [Google]
57591077_p0.jpg
131KB, 551x808px
Reminder that Akari wants that salamnder cock.
>>
Just from S1 I remember the camping trip and New Years episode as being great. My favorite S1 episode is pic related. It's just so sad that they won't always be able to hang out like they used to.
>>
>>147260152
I enjoyed Lain's SciFi and philosophical pondering more so than the actual plot,
which does come off as overwrought at times.
The visuals are also a strong point for the series and are very memorable to his day.

Maybe try watching it again sometime with that mindset ? Unlike Aria I would actually recommend Lain.
>>
>>147260769
/a/'s Lainfags are the type to see someone else's analysis and make it their own. They don't really attempt to critique the show.
>>
>>147258376
ITT: how to trigger /a/
>>
A lot of Aria's appeal is in the setting. The anime really makes Neo Venezuela come to life. It's one of the reasons it's much better than Amanchu. It doesn't spend so much time on internal monologues and just does a pan along the scenery while playing some music.
>>
File: 1470817540255.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1470817540255.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>147258376
>Non Non Biyori kicks the everloving shit out of this.
Agreed. Non Non Biyori is far superior.
>>
>>147261012
Trigger should go over the wikipedia article for animation sometime
>>
>>147261046
More garish colours and louder sound. Anything else?
>>
>>147261012
I know right, and I wasn't even trying. Was hoping for some fans to describe what they saw in the show. Which about five people have done, but otherwise I'm getting told I'm a retard who can't get the deeper meaning of boats going round canals, too old to get it, too young to get it, or otherwise brain damaged.

What would Akari say?!

>>147260911
Agreed on the visuals, that was the aspect that kept me watching to the end. The philosophy seemed very dated to me, though, as I mentioned in my other post. It's tied strongly to that sort of late 90s existential nihilism and concern about identity in the age of rapidly progressing technology (which I never bought into much anyway).
>>
>>147260480
> why it needed to be so long

One season is long now?
>>
File: 1473288455528.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1473288455528.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>147261083
>Non Non Biyori
>garish colours
>louder sound
>>
>>147261126
>What would Akari say?!
HAHII
>>
>>147261150
For ADHD children, it is.
>>
Narrative-based analysis of art is fundamentally based on autistic ideals.
>>
File: 1421625718629.png (340KB, 650x700px) Image search: [Google]
1421625718629.png
340KB, 650x700px
>>
>>147261126
What exactly did you not buy into? The literal undeniable fact that in a world of ever increasing population, the individual has much less meaning? Or the question of whether our existence has any meaning at all, which obviously dates back much further than the 90s in just about every way?
>>
>>147261224
You're retarded.

Also, how boring is this show? Mushishi-level or even worse?
>>
>>147261410
literally how is mushishi boring? I cannot imagine what part of you is mentally under-developed to find something like mushishi boring
>>
>>147260480
Well, try to discuss that in a Lain thread, then.

>But I do get cute Lain pictures, people saying "Lain is love, Lain is life," and gifs from that one trippy Lain site.

That's what happens when threads are being made non-stop for a ~20-year old series that is only 13 episodes long. No matter how deep or though-provoking something is, after a while there's just nothing really left to discuss.
>>
>>147261410
As boring as the state of cinematic art after the artificial imposition of psuedo-literary forms in the 1910's.
>>
File: 123325786.jpg (56KB, 845x711px) Image search: [Google]
123325786.jpg
56KB, 845x711px
>it's a cat episode
>>
>>147261410
Very comforting. Aria shachou always warms my heart.
>>
>>147261276
Of course questions about identity and existence stretch far back into history, but there's a particularly nihilistic brand of existentialism, as there is for most schools of thought, that's undeniably tied to a certain point in time.

I don't believe that increasing population decreases the value of an individual, nor do I believe that technology harms identity (and the way SEL commentated on this was in just about the weakest way possible, IMO), so it's probably chiefly down to me disagreeing with the message of the show, but it certainly is a product of 1998. I'd argue we're already at a point where you have to watch Lain in the context of its time, and that if it was released as the exact same show today in 2016 it'd fail to resonate.

But hey, Aria!
>>
>>147261456
it's just some guy hiking
>>
What will Akari and the girls do when they get older? Will they take care of the business side of tourism? I've only seen pretty young girls in the boats and I'm guessing that's half of the appeal.
>>
File: tips (2).png (49KB, 178x243px) Image search: [Google]
tips (2).png
49KB, 178x243px
>>147261482
>dude look at me I'm so cool I endanger this innocent girl's life and then "save" her so that she'll fall in love with me
>>
Mushishi is pretty weak. The best food for thought it gives you is on par with an average mediocre Star Trek TNG episode.

Kino's Journey was a much better experience than Mushishi for me. People still really love to overstate how deep it is, but it's got some interesting ideas.
>>
>>147261535
retire to the countryside
>>
File: 46967396_p0.jpg (174KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
46967396_p0.jpg
174KB, 640x800px
>>147261535
Housewives.
>>
>>147261489
He always creeped me out and was the reason I couldn't keep watching it.
>>
>>147258376
watch at 1.5x speed
>>
>>147261586
Do they make a lot of money to do that?
>>
>>147261641
How can a slut like President Aria be creepy?
>>
>>147261150
It is when your message is simple and doesn't need 12 episodes to tell.
>>
>>147261578
I still don't really get the library episode of Kino's Journey.
>>
>>147261693
That butthole everyday waving in front of my face. It's actually accurate for animals to have that but still it's distracting.
>>
>>147261578
>food for thought
Mushishi isn't really trying to be deep or make you think, though. It's more of a spiritual experience than an intellectual one. I'd say Kino's Journey falls somewhere in between.
>>
>>147261755
>gets distracted by animal ass
I have bad news for you anon
>>
>>147260769
Holy shit you write like a 17 year old who is trying way too hard to be a cynical edgelord. What are you even trying to say? That because one movie critic had a questionable review, somehow all academic and published opinions shouldn't be considered? They anon was just pointing out that the written analysis on Lain is extensive. This might surprise you since you're still in highschool, but there are actual academic articles published in journals on anime analysis and Lain in particular.

If all you wanted to do was point out that /a/ is a shithole, well, we all already know that. We're you expecting something different?
>>
>>147261761
>spiritual experience
Anime has no place for psuedo-scientific garbage, call me when they have an anime about the beauty of solar evolution
>>
>>147261578
There's nothing deep about Mushishi. And being "deep" has nothing to do with a quality of a show or a movie.
>>
>>147261456
I could not get into it. Maybe the pacing was off and part of it might have been me not reading the manga. There are a lot of reasons. I watched three episodes and felt bored.

I think the show is visually gorgeous, it just wasn't for me. Also, the whole "it's too deep for you" argument is hilarious to me.
>>
>>147261761
>spiritual experience
How does that work?
>>
>>147261795
Don't say it.
>>
>>147261851
What the fuck are you even talking about?
>>
>>147261880
Same as all spiritual things: mental illness
>>
ITT: 2deep4u
>>
File: 1405394508049.jpg (47KB, 468x528px) Image search: [Google]
1405394508049.jpg
47KB, 468x528px
>>147261851
well said m'sir
>>
>>147261578

Mushishi-basher again: I found its philosophy to be somewhat cliche and like a bad Neil deGrasse Tyson tweet: the same, tired "philosophy" we all thought about in high school.
>>
>>147261919
Take new-age ignorance to /x/
>>
>>147261808
>there are actual academic articles published in journals on anime analysis and Lain in particular
Fucking hell.
>>
>>147261808
Never understood why people fetishize academia. It's doubly weird in this case when you're citing "actual academic articles published in journals on anime analysis and Lain in particular" to back up your opinion on a show which, crucially, requires the viewer to connect with it and the thought behind it. If it can't form that connection, all the "actual academic articles" in the world won't change somebody's opinion on it.
>>
>>147261991
Why is that a problem?
>>
>>147261991
You can write about anything in academia if you have the funding and kiss ass properly.
>>
File: 1465615148306.png (5KB, 365x241px) Image search: [Google]
1465615148306.png
5KB, 365x241px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7ZSxzIX8mY
>>
>>147262000
>Never understood why people fetishize academia

Yeah I don't either. I mean, what has academia ever done aside from groundbreaking research that enabled the technological revolution of today's world? That shitty overrated academia
>>
I liked Aria but Sketchbook is better.

>>147261578
Mushishi has some 10/10 episodes but those are far and in between.
>>
>>147262065
/pol/ told me academia is nothing but jews talking about sex, is that not the case?
>>
>>147261851
The beauty of solar evolution? Are you seriously that much of a dork?
>>
>>147262065
Just because academia is good for science doesn't mean it's good for art. The best filmmakers went to film, not film school.
>>
>>147262065
You're doing the exact thing I was criticizing, which is to think of "academia" as one great hivemind.

I'm sure we all respect academic scientists and people in the medical field. That's not in dispute.

However, the fetishization occurs when people unthinkingly extend this to all academics, treating their opinions as somehow superior to anyone elses, especially in something as subjective as, say, film criticism, philosophy or god-forsaken "anime analysis".
>>
>>147262122
if you major in anime analysis
>>
>>147262126
New-age addicted anime viewers, everyone
>>
>>147262135
>The best filmmakers went to film, not film school.

Oh it shows Quentin
>>
File: 464cd4a87d951d2ce27b3f551adc224c.jpg (796KB, 1171x1644px) Image search: [Google]
464cd4a87d951d2ce27b3f551adc224c.jpg
796KB, 1171x1644px
>>147262057
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uP5v_n0L38
>>
>>147262168
I'm not into new age shit either, but fucking solar evolution? Jesus man.
>>
>>147262285
>replying to a fedora tipper
>>
File: ccpylp3lw1yfuldfff3e.jpg (878KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ccpylp3lw1yfuldfff3e.jpg
878KB, 1280x1024px
>>147261851
>Anime has no place for psuedo-scientific garbage
But that's EXACTLY what alot of popular anime are all about.
>>
File: euphoria.jpg (41KB, 774x197px) Image search: [Google]
euphoria.jpg
41KB, 774x197px
>>147261851
>>
>>147260485
>Not watching any anime ever created chronologically
Get a load of this fucking pleb. Come back when you've seen >9000.
>>
>>147262370
>not having every issue of Weekly Shonen Jump since 1969 lining your walls

Unbelievable
>>
>>147260485
>Start with some Dezaki from 70's
Nah, skip straight to 2000's Dezaki.
>>
>>147262000
Like I said, you're trying too hard to be contrarian. I never even said if I thought Lain was good or a pile of shit. Also, despite your desperation, the articles aren't reviews and they arent presented like the youtube anime reviews you watch in terms of "OMG is Lain worth the watch?" They just breakdown scenes and themes and use it as a way to discuss something else in their field (with lain lots of philosophy and comp Sci obviously).

That being said, you're still right that it could all be garbage and you shouldn't respect it just because it's "academia." But at least be informed about what downplaying. They aren't fucking opinion pieces on the quality of the show trying to sway you to watch it.
>>
>>147260705
Unless you are underage or in month 3 of your anime fad, you probably already watched them all.
>>
>>147258376
>Aria
>excruciating

This is new.
>>
>>147261808
Anon, there are published scholarly articles that deny the existence of AIDS. Academia means jack shit on its own.
>>
>>147262503
I'm not being contrarian. I like Serial Experiments Lain. I just think that citing some phantom academic articles as proof that it's somehow objectively good (when of course, no media is) is really disingenuous, and points towards a fetishization of academia. You've done it in this post by implying that an academic viewpoint inherently more valuable than the opinion of some kids on YouTube, which they aren't necessarily. An academic piece can give you points and themes to consider and let you view the show from an angle you hadn't appreciated before... and so can a 12 year old on YouTube raving about it.

Apologies if I'm off the mark, but people on the internet, as I'm sure you're aware, are extremely quick to quote prestigious critics or academics as if their opinions are somehow fact. Pretty frequently, it appears like the people quoting them haven't really thought about the show at any great depth themselves, and just hope to use an academic as a proxy for debate. Fascinatingly, this reliance on academia seems to evaporate when the subject of social science comes up, and academics writing from, say, a feminist or Marxist viewpoint are immediately decried as hacks or (((jews))).

Lain requires you to subscribe to some basic tenets of its existentialism to connect with it in any way. If someone can't do that, the show is very unlikely to hold any value for them, and no amount of academic articles or 4chan posts will change that.
>>
>>147262786
>An academic piece can give you points and themes to consider and let you view the show from an angle you hadn't appreciated before... and so can a 12 year old on YouTube raving about it.
Kids react: Serial Experiments Lain
>>
>>147262642
I don't watch a lot of anime, but even seasonal filler is better than generic 70s mecha anime, if you've run out of classics.
I have not watched that many anime yet, and I have many classics left to watch, so I don't know if I'll ever get there. But if you are only a casual anime fan, you'll never need to watch really bad stuff.
>>
>>147262786
>If someone can't do that, the show is very unlikely to hold any value for them

There are plenty of people who like the series solely for the atmosphere, though.
>>
I feel like there's a strong difference between a show with cute girls in it and a show trying to be cute.

This explains why I find K-On's art style fucking disgusting but have zero problem with Sora no Woto's.
>>
>>147262786
>Like I said, you're trying too hard to be contrarian. I never even said if I thought Lain was good or a pile of shit.
>I never even said if I thought Lain was good or a pile of shit.

What the fuck is wrong with your reading comprehension? I don't know what college graduate bullied you about being a retard, but try to stifle your complex long enough to read my post.

I mean you even brought up the youtube example where I mock you for caring about opinions on subjective quality, and you still didn't notice I never even said I thought Lain was a good show or not. you just go on some strawman rant about Jews and Internet comments or something.
>>
>>147262932
>70s mecha
But these ARE the classics. Stuff like Tetsuwan Atom, Pluto, Giant Robo and Tetsujin 28 are the building blocks of anime and manga today, and they're still better than most mindless schlock that the anime industry produces these days.
>>
>>147258691
Kind of this. All memeing and ego stroking aside, it does require one to be in tune with it's message. It's not the thinking man's anime with muh deep plots and complex characters. It's about the small things in life, the things that go unnoticed when the mind is clouded up with "pointless" things that it's usually caught up in. It asks you to chill out, take your time and enjoy the beauty that's around you.
>>
>>147263256
Is the joke that none of those are from the 1970's?
>>
>>147258376
Aria changed my life. It taught me that life is wonderful if you live in a beatiful utopic world where you have a dream job and awesome friends who love you.
>>
>>147263281
When I want to do that I go outside, I dont sit inside watching badly animated cartoons
>>
>>147263199
That's good, because we weren't talking about whether Lain is good or not, we were talking about the value of academic pieces.

Your point was that I was supposedly uninformed on what I was downplaying, and that I apparently thought academia consisted of opinion pieces trying to get me to watch Lain. If you re-read my reply, you'll see that I addressed that by saying I was aware of what academic articles typically entailed, and explained why I don't believe they hold any value over your example of a YouTube opinion piece.

The comment about Lain failing to connect with people at the end of the post was intended to illustrate that an analysis of the themes of the show does absolutely nothing to prove its quality, and so the poster (you? not you?) who first started sounding off about the prestigious "anime analysis" articles was talking bollocks.

Like, I don't know how you read my post, but I wasn't arguing about the quality of Lain, nor was I going on a "strawman rant", so your explosively bitchy reply doesn't seem to fit the discussion. I don't really know what to say other than read it again.
>>
>>147263500
nerd
>>
>>147263428
But you'll watch badly animated cartoons for enjoyment or any other purpose? What exactly is your point if you even have one?
>>
>>147259576
>sooth the audience
It's literally fucking mindless, dude.
>>
File: sad rich chen.png (102KB, 494x300px) Image search: [Google]
sad rich chen.png
102KB, 494x300px
>>147263415
>It taught me that life is wonderful if you live in a beatiful utopic world where you have a dream job and awesome friends who love you.
>>
>>147263636
good numbers
>>
>>147260911
oh yes because Lain's plot is it's main draw.
>>
>>147263256
I guess you are right, but I was thinking mostly more recent classics or even simply stuff that's good. I could probably make a list of 100 anime I want to watch before I want to watch any 70s mecha anime, well at least 50. [phew, Ideon aired in 1980]
>>
>>147263415
but I don't have any of those and they are out of reach, the best i can hope for is people who will tolerate my presence for a time.
>>
File: ritalin rebellion.jpg (42KB, 584x445px) Image search: [Google]
ritalin rebellion.jpg
42KB, 584x445px
>>147258376
>excruciating.
>extremely boring
>90mph
>hurtling
>breakneck pace
>ennui-inducing
>sedative
Hahaha. Another ritalin kid tried to watch a big-boy show.
I'm guessing Kingdom is too staid for you.

>I like Non Non Biyori
Nice attempt at deflection, but we're not buying it
>>
>>147263778
The year of release should never be a deciding factor for watching anime. It's true that the 70's were a spawning pool for generic robot 'toy commercial' shows, there is still some very good stuff from that time. Rose of Versailles, Space Battleship Yamato, Ashita no Joe, Galaxy Express 999 and even Mobile Suit Gundam are fucking great 'despite' their age.
>>
>>147263938
It's very childish to see that somebody doesn't like something you like and immediately turn to childish shit-flinging and accusing them of being stupid because they don't like it, you know.
>>
>>147264117
Yeah, I absolutely loved Yamato, have started on Rose of Versailles and liked what I've seen so far, and also seen the first Gundam, it's not like I'm opposed to stuff from the 70s. I am also curious about Aim for the Ace.
Sometimes it can be good to limit yourself to specific years though. It can help you discover anime that isn't talked about, and give a wider perspective of anime from a specific time
>>
>>147263938
Being a ritalin kid who hates battle/action shows is hard, my friend.

Non Non Biyori appealed to me because things actually happen in it. Great stuff, so that even a bottom-feeding, mouth-breathing, shit-eating, ass-licking, dick-sucking contemptible ritalin-toxicity retard like me can enjoy it.
>>
>>147263500
> I just think that citing some phantom academic articles as proof that it's somehow objectively good

>I never even said if I thought Lain was good or a pile of shit.

Do you see the inconsistency here? With your lack of reading ability, I think Im starting to understand why you so fervently believe that 12 year olds vlogging is equal in merit to anything academic.

But in the end, now I see how there really are no differences. As for your opinion, now I can see that it actually doesn't hold any more value than a baby shitting it's pants while crying. In the end, we're all one anyway so what really is the difference? They are both equal in the universe. Who am I to say your opinion isn't the equivalent of a giant, wet baby diaherra?
>>
>>147264455
Come on, mate. Are you reading the thread? We're talking about the value of academic pieces (and you're having a weird tantrum about "giant wet baby diaherra [sic]" because I disagree with you about it), but we're using the context of Serial Experiments Lain to discuss academia, given that that's how the topic was brought into the thread. So obviously, I'm going to mention Serial Experiments Lain in my post. That doesn't mean I'm trying to argue about the quality of Lain, and I have no idea how you'd think that, other than any mention of Lain in my post somehow setting off some kind of weird alarm in your head.

Again, I really don't know what to say other than to re-read the thread starting from when Lain was first mentioned.
>>
>>147261870
I don't consider Mushishi to be "deep" either, though I can see how many would fall for the meme.

If you wanna give Mushishi another chance, try watching it as an art gallery displaying
various cool and outlandish short stories set in a world based loosely on Japanese folklore.

The fun is seeing all the crazy shit they come up with, not necessarily navel-gazing and looking for allegories or something.
>>
>>147264656
I mean, that's how ridiculous your logic regarding the value of an opinion seems to me. You just take two clearly objectively different things and say "all is same". Nevermind that you change the topic of discussion with every post and keep implying I thought it was somehow only good because someone wrote a paper on it. I never even said it was good, I feel like I've said this three different ways in separate posts.

We're apparently speaking different languages so lets not derail the thread any longer and call it a successfully unproductive dicussion.
>>
>>147265827
>I mean, that's how ridiculous your logic regarding the value of an opinion seems to me. You just take two clearly objectively different things and say "all is same".

I didn't say that, I said one isn't inherently more valuable than the other. You'd have to take this to it's strawman logical extreme to think that I believe that "giant wet baby diaherra" is equivalent to the best piece of academic writing.

>Nevermind that you change the topic of discussion with every post

All my posts have been about the value of academic analysis of media and the (in my opinion misguided) value people tend to place on them, especially in internet discussion. Hopefully, if you again re-read the thread, you can see how that's the case and why I was so confused to have you suddenly blow up and start accusing me of arguing about Lain, which nobody was doing.

> keep implying I thought it was somehow only good because someone wrote a paper on it

I didn't imply this. I said people use academic articles in place of their own opinions in debate and defer to them in place of their own opinions, which it often seems that they haven't considered thoroughly. I wasn't including you in that (unless you feel that it applies to you), and again, I wasn't making any statement on the quality of Lain.

>I never even said it was good, I feel like I've said this three different ways in separate posts.

And as I've said in about three different ways, we're not talking about the quality of the show, and I honestly don't know why you think I was. We're talking about the value of academic analysis in judging the quality of a work, so obviously Lain will come up, but at no point did I suggest Lain was good or bad, other than the disclaimer "I like Lain".

>We're apparently speaking different languages so lets not derail the thread any longer and call it a successfully unproductive dicussion.

Agreed, it feels like we're somehow having two completely different conversations simultaneously.
>>
I just started watching this and I love it. It's better than flying witch and amanchu I think.
>>
>>147258376
>episode 8
Finish the season at least, Aria didn't really click with me until the bridge. Honestly S2 is pretty slow despite having some great eps, and S3 is easily the strongest of the three. S3 is just packed with great shit relative to the other two. That being said, not everybody is gonna like the show. Aria is very much a "watch one episode before bed every night" show. You sort of grow into the characters as you're watching slowly every night. If you do this, and you make it all the way to the end (without getting spoiled) then you'll be crying when it's over. Despite how you feel about it right now.
>>
>>147267985
>better than Amanchu
Wait until you reach chapter 55.
>>
>>147258376
> she'd burst out crying and say

She wouldn't burst out crying and saying that to you because based on your post she probably wouldn't like you. Well, she likes everyone but not enough to get sentimental over you.
>>
>>147258691
I've become a jaded piece of shit in the last year. Is Aria made for me?
>>
>>147271453
If you're jaded to the point where any half-assed motivational/inspirational quote can affect you, then yeah.
>>
>>147271494
Good enough for me
>>
If you liked it, you liked it and if you didn't, you didn't. Just watch something else you enjoy, time is better spent on doing what makes you happy anon : ^)
>>
File: DSC00721.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00721.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>147259250
Gonna need sauce on this.

>>147261126
Spoilered for blogshit
I totaled my first car doing stupid shit and was a bit traumatized by the event. I could still drive normally but I literally got goosebumps and sweaty palms whenever I did some spirited driving and was ready to just give up the hobby at that point.

Chapter 44 (ep 24 of Natural) made me realize that it's easy to forget the good times because of one bad incident and so I manned up until I got over it.

Also helped me get over my depression so it's fair to say it's quite a life changing series for me.

Aria is like medicine. Not something you'd take/appreciate when you're not sick.
>>
File: 1451829978952.jpg (197KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1451829978952.jpg
197KB, 1024x768px
Aria got me through some incredibly hard times in my life, so it's probably impossible for me to have an unbiased view of it.
Also: Undine > Spirale > Euforia
>>
would've been better without the hamhanded motivational and inspirational bs. akari should get raped, I'd liked to see her pretty worldview after that. I know I'm being an edgelord. It's just that when you have a utopia, everyone is nice, all the characters have petty problems, nothing is very hard and you know given this series, it will give a happy end. It's like yeah, life has a bunch of little things and that's nice but I don't need to know about that every episode. S2 had a bunch of life lesson moments which were cringeworthy. also the cats were aids incarnate
>>
>>147273901
>Undine > Spirale
>>
File: 3.png (305KB, 712x480px) Image search: [Google]
3.png
305KB, 712x480px
>>147274088
To be fair they're all pretty great.
>>
>>147274029
epic irony
>>
>>147274135
Yeah but Spirale was GOAT
>>
>>147274232
You looking for a fight?
>>
>>147274269
>>
File: 5355.jpg (66KB, 840x480px) Image search: [Google]
5355.jpg
66KB, 840x480px
I dropped the series in the middle of Natural for around 3 years before finishing it. Liked it a lot more after those 3 years. Aika and Alice are great characters, Akari not so much.
>>
File: 1451832098469.jpg (1MB, 1028x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1451832098469.jpg
1MB, 1028x1500px
>>147274361
You win

>>147274362
Agreed. Akari's overly-optimistic view on everything is a nice pick me up after a particularly miserable day, but otherwise seeing Aika's and Alice's antics is much more entertaining, especially when they interact with each other.
>>
File: 1333141607095.gif (382KB, 392x500px) Image search: [Google]
1333141607095.gif
382KB, 392x500px
>>147274362
>Aika and Alice are great characters, Akari not so much
>>
I'm watching the second season right now and though I like it I find myself agreeing with OP a bit. When the focus is on comedy between the three juniors it's a good laugh but sone scenes drag on too long (like skipping and singing that zun paka pan song). Especially in this season some episodes are just too contrived or gimmicky like the one where a random woman pipes up to exposition the tradition of giving roses on a certain day. Other good bots are when stuff about Aquas past is dropped or you learn more about what a dystopia manhome must be.
>>
>>147258376
You sound like a very boring person, op.
>>
File: 1423038370888.jpg (4KB, 90x100px) Image search: [Google]
1423038370888.jpg
4KB, 90x100px
This thread sucks and half the posters are newfags

I'm out losers bye
>>
>>147258376
Funny, I had the opposite experience with this vs NNB
>>
File: 1457307547300.jpg (1MB, 1200x1833px) Image search: [Google]
1457307547300.jpg
1MB, 1200x1833px
>>147258376
Let me ferry you into Hades.
>>
Is it weird that I loved YKK and NNB (S1 only specifically) but wasn't really fond of Aria The Animation?Is The Natural beter?Would this be a good chance to watch it,it's been a few months since I've seen The Animation?
>>
>>147258376
>not seeing beyond the debauchery of a party and appreciating relationships at a personal level rather than a social one
This is why normalfags should never into anime.
>>
>>147258376
Read the manga. I hated the show too but I loved the manga.
>>
>manga
subtle melancholy
>anime
overt optimism
>cute girls doing cute things? Thats awful!
>>
So, are the BDs as bad as people say? Is it worth watching them?
>>
It's not for everybody OP. It's best to leave it if you find it boring. Or if you really want to get into it then just watch it one episode per day.
>>
>>147278799
>one episode per day
This isn't Happy Seven
>>
>>147263938
>ritalin kid
It has been so long since I heard that term.
Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PffpCsDmZPI
>>
>>147279019
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PffpCsDmZPI
what kind of person would post this in an aria thread?
>>
>people hating on Aria
Oh wow. And here I thought it was one of the few shows relatively safe from /a/'s spite
>>
>>147279200
It's like people have different opinions and can voice them on anonymous taiwanese tapestry website.
>>
>>147258376
just stop watching

also, go fuck yourself
>>
>>147279200
>critical discussion is now hating
This has been a good thread, fuck you.
Thread posts: 224
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.