[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck is this show? 2 eps in and I feel like it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 15

File: flcl__by_ishamz-d4tlmxx.png (361KB, 900x489px) Image search: [Google]
flcl__by_ishamz-d4tlmxx.png
361KB, 900x489px
What the fuck is this show? 2 eps in and I feel like it's a masterpiece but I have no clue why.
>>
I just really liked the music and the action, it fit really well together.
>>
/a/ told you it's a masterpiece, that's why.
>>
>>147207011
Good, good, now add it to your 3x3 and laugh at all the plebs who think it's shit. Just be careful not to think about it, lest you become one of the plebs.
>>
its a fantastic anime. Music is 10/10, animation is good, its unique, doesn't overstay its welcome.

Hopefully the sequel can live up to it.
>>
>>147207545
I rarely go on /a/
I started watching it cause i saw a couple min of Kaptainkristian's vid on it
>>
What's the matter OP, 2deep4u?
>>
>>147207779
yep
>>
It's one of those storys where you kinda have to focus more on symbolism then the actual plot the get what is going on.
Don't worry if you "don't get it", most people watch that kidn of show a lot of times or read analysis from other people.
if you got far enough to realise that it#s about sexual teen problems the ride should be enjoyable enough.
>>
>>147208159
Sweet. I did hear that it was basically a surreal coming of age story so I've been actively trying to figure out which is a metaphor for what. Plus I'm loving the chill guitar vibes
>>
File: 1378076215659.jpg (234KB, 800x1236px) Image search: [Google]
1378076215659.jpg
234KB, 800x1236px
Imagine Kanti as Harukos weird drifter boyfriend. When Takkun enters Kanti he is taking on the persona of an older male.

He lost his older brother, and the "robot" was his only role model.

Haruko chases Kanti because he knows he can be a real man and take care of things, as is represented when Takkun fights and destroys robots while impersonating him, but he refuses too as is portrayed in the Kanti's aimless wandering while it's not red.

The giant Ironing factory is a representation of becoming a boring adult. Which is a possibility of Takkuns fate. When Haruko arrives she pulls the weirdness from his head and makes him realizes how odd his life and family really is.

I don't really feel like writing more on it but I could make more connections with this overlaying metaphor.

Maybe.

Who knows really.
>>
>>147208716
That's really interesting, cheers.
>>
>>147208202
This is Urban Outfitters anime if anything.
>>
>>147208913
I will say; FLCL is gotta be one of my favorite.

It literally OOZED style and uniqueness.
>>
>>147208455
Yeah the atmosphere is really great.
A lot of the weird scenes suddenly become relatable when you think yourself into this kids situation, i guess it's just part of our sociaty to live i few years in limbo where your brain starts to want sex but society tells you it's to early

The plot is still a bit hard to follow sometimes and a lot is just surreal fun (wait for that sout park thing, that really suprised me)
>>
File: 1391913168154.jpg (403KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1391913168154.jpg
403KB, 1000x1000px
>>147209284
I like that it ends with a guitar in his hands.

Like, "Alright man, you've seen some shit. Now make some music."

The creator was very deliberate on how he selected the The pillows and the other sound direction, so it makes me think that he wanted to be a musican but ended up in anime.

So his main character was tribute to how good music is made.

With a longing in your heart and adventure in your memories.
>>
good fucking lord
>>
>>147207011
wait until you get to episode 4
>>
...So Mamimi was a hobo, right?
>>
>>147209778
that was the one where he not killed his dad right?...
>>
File: 1415045846355.gif (492KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1415045846355.gif
492KB, 500x375px
>>147207011
>What the fuck is this show?
A masterpiece. For its one of those show I can safely say is on near the top of my "personal favorite" list and "objectively good" list.

Its my go-to if I am ever forced to answer the question, "What is the greatest anime of all time?"
>>
File: 1462205175385.jpg (25KB, 480x438px) Image search: [Google]
1462205175385.jpg
25KB, 480x438px
Show bored me to death.
The only thing good about it is the soundtrack (because of the pillows mainly)
The soundtrack was amazing.
The story and animation, like almost all gainax shit, sucked imho
>>
>>147208716
I would say that Haruko is also the female that gets Takkun over his brother complex.

Before she appears Takkun is in that stage where his brother is his idol and he lives to mimic and be close to him. Like the annoying little brother that would suck your dick if you asked him to.

Hanuka comes along and emodies the positive qualities of his brother in all the ways that matter except she has bagina so he becomes fascinated with her even though he logically resists her senseless personality.

There is some issues with him feeling like he SHOULD like and care for Mamimi, but she keeps using him as a stand-in for his brother and it bothers him, where as Haruka zeroes in on him specifically because of his innate N.O. levels which makes him feel special and awakens primal romantic feelings against his better judgement.
>>
>>147210354
how is the animation shit? i mean not based on taste. that stuff is from 2001 and looks better then some current season trash
>>
>>147210662
That's the thing. I said it's shit purely based on taste. I'm really not a fan of the pencil-esque animations that gainax uses
>>
>>147207011
because it's not edited or written in a traditional way so the sense of unfamiliarity is mistaken for amazement because you stick to slice of life and battleharems
>>
I don't get it. Nothing's funny. There's two types of humor. Actual humor and lol so random. Both work for me, but this is just... forced random that falls flat.
>>
>>147210691
fair enough, somehow i didn't mind different animation styles, the only thing i can't stand are those anime girl face like clannad with the mouth almost between their eyes
>>
>>147210232
Was she actually making moves on him? The most prominent explanation to her actions with the play was her wanting her parents to see the play together, in a childish belief that going to the event would magically fix their marital problems. However, her also dragging Naota along and her advances on him (being alone with him as far as she knew in his room, in his clothes, at night, flaunting her "Bad Girl" secrets in front of him, literally crawling half on-top of him in his fucking bed) sure as hell seems like a bid to put herself in a cliche'd childhood romance plot with him, which makes perfect sense considering her aforementioned "save my parents' marriage with the power of the play" gambit.
>>
>>147210768
Excuse me. I'll have you know I watched ERASED and thought it was shit after cause I saw Digibro's vid. Think again before you make assumptions about me, mister, thanks very much.
>>
>>147210874
There's nothing random about FLCL. You're just so used to conventional boundaries that anything slightly surreal comes off as weird and nonsensical. Like people who watch EoE or the tv ending calling it a "mindfuck".
>>
>>147211376
Not buying your response. I enjoy Utena just fine. FLCL is trying too hard to be wacky. There's too much shitty slapstick and characters are all unlikable.
>>
>>147211376
what about that south park scene?
i could sleep better if i knew what's not random about that.
>>
>>147207011
Girl likes MC-kun but she actually likes his brother, then an alien on a vespa hits MC on the head with a guitar, giving him an inter-dimensional phallus. The alien is also a nurse, just kidding, she's actually the new housekeeper where he lives, then they're a manga, then they're not and the dad has an affair, then he doesn't then master chief eats MC-kun, but nothing really amazing happens there anyway. This is just the first 2 episodes.

Score 2deep4u/trying too hard
>>
>>147211467
To step in there, the characters don't have to be likeable, they can just be interesting.
>>
>>147211590
so much that.
i neve rgot why people say for example that shinji destroyed the show with his bitching, i mean that's the point, you don't have to be friends with him, just watch how the show presents him.
>>
>>147211487
Well it's there two show two sides of Amarao's personality. Until a certain point we see only see him as this cool commander guy, but with scenes like that his persona starts to unravel and we see he's a very childish man. There's lots of similarities between him and Naota, I think Amarao represents a possible future for him if he doesn't mature.

Why it's SP I can't say other than the animators were fans of the show and it looks silly.
>>
>>147209063
>Kys
Kill yourself.
>>
>>147211999
i guess we could agree that they used a pretty random way to deliver thought out symbolism
>>
>>147212130
Well you could also compare Amarao to SP now that I think about it.

South Park looks like it's for kids but it's for adults.
Amarao looks like an adult but is a manchild.

There's no saying that's the actual thought behind it but it makes sense to me.
>>
Do I have to be sober to understand this?
>>
>>147212269
I tried to watch it with my stoner friend and he couldn't keep up so maybe
>>
>>147211467
But the show isn't really wacky. It's pure Gainax ethos balancing melancholic introspection and crazy antics. The world is quiet and normal but gets turned upside down by Haruko. It succeeds in its punk rock aesthetic that transcends convention and narrative logic as a complement to its coming of age story on the existentialism of youth and the stupidity of this world.
>>
I originally watched this when I was in elementary school. I thought my life was going to be like Naota's minus the supernatural stuff of course. Oh how wrong I was.
>>
>>147211487
the episode has an american influences theme, and amarao is a frivolous retard of an adult like the adults in south park
>>
>>147207011

You're not used to animation, coloring, or shading. You'll get used to it and look back on FLCL as the 8/10 that it is not a masterpiece though.
>>
>>147213511
literally only the animation is memorable
>>
>>147213511
Pls, FLCL is the pinnacle of digital anime and one of the greatest artistic achievements of the 21st century.
>>
File: berserk-2016-1.jpg (65KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
berserk-2016-1.jpg
65KB, 1200x675px
>>147213647
well excuse me motherfucker
>>
The Pillows were the best thing about this show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-csQc2XzcfY
>>
>>147207011
it's not that good . cool but not a masterpiece
>>
Better than the garbage they turn out nowadays.
>>
>>147207011
Its total eye-candy thats why. The animation is top-notch, color-wise its great to look at and the soundtrack is fantastic. If you strip all the 2Deeeep5u symbolism, you still get a good story thats short but sweet and to the point. Its got an atmosphere that can be erratic at times or just plain comfy. It was a show that was made for Adult Swim in a sense.
>>147210010
Didn't that crazy bitch get into photography school, how'd she pay for that? Its implied she has a family, so I think she just constantly runs away, I knew a girl like that once.
>>147211167
She's no different than Naota, as she to wants and tries to be more mature, but its all bullshit. She's still just a spoiled rich kid, and like one she gets pissed when she doesn't get her way, and cheats in other to make sure she gets her way. Instead of simply revealing her feelings for Naota like a mature person she thinks its better to simply trick him into kissing her.
>>
Personally I thought that episodes 1-3 were pretty good but 4-6 are what make it a masterpiece.
>>
>>147213837
but that looks like shit
>>
>>147217509
Woosh.
>>
>>147207011
It's odd, when I was young I didn't like it, but I feel like if I try it now I would. Anyone else felt the same way?
>>
>>147213847
Haruko's sex voice was the best thing about the show.
>>
>>147217736
I think the coming of age may make you feel like that, specially if you were around Naota's age when you began watching the show. Its definitely grown on me, specially since I first remember seeing bits of it on Adult Swim, and everything about reminds me why I loved AS so much as kid.
>>
>>147213847
FLCL is just a music video for The Pillows.
>>
>>147207011
its not a masterpiece, just some inside jokes and puberty symbolism, as well as gainax's fine animation

scenes are too chopped up to be called a story, it's a show in the most technical sense. fuck flcl man

check out the OST after tho, pillows are based
>>
>>147213511
8/10 is masterpiece level
9/10 is magnum opus
10/10 is nonexistant
>>
>>147219069
Interesting. I just finished it a few hours ago and I think the reasons you mentioned are what makes FLCL so great. Like anything else, I suppose it's just a matter of taste.
And yeah just DL'd the OST, fuckin dope.
>>
>>147207753
>anime youtuber/e-celeb garbage
>rarely go on /a/
Lurk for 2 years before posting and watch more anime.
>>
>>147207631
not to think about what?
>>
>>147219473
well my reasons werent all negative, were they?

i didnt like it because the puberty metaphors felt tiring, because it was just about sex, and the choppy scenes made them seem less clever in what might've been subtle innuendo in a coherent plot. so there is a more objective case for you, my boy.

to clarify, there is a story, its just a mess, a disaster, fuck this anime.

and yeah the OST will last you forever, the pillows are also still active
>>
>>147219524
>muh secret elite klub doesn't need you
>>
>>147207011
>I feel like it's a masterpiece but I have no clue why
That's because of the direction.

The best way to make sense of FLCL is not to try and ascribe some sort of meaning to the story, but to think of it as a proof of concept for the directorial style. It was a field for experimentation by the director, and as such the story was always intended to be abstract, because that's not the point. It's just about mood, tone, and atmosphere, the real meat and potatoes of direction.

These are the things you should keep in mind:

1. This was Tsurumaki's first project as the director.
2. Tsurumaki was Anno's protege, and Anno had recently quit over the Kare Kano debacle when Tsurumaki was tapped to direct.
3. When you watch Kare Kano it's apparent that it has a directorial style which is not only new for Anno but also had some very distinct details which were new to anime in general.
4. The directorial style of Kare Kano has a lot of similarities with the over-the-top directorial style of FLCL.
5. The directorial style of FLCL became one of the most valuable tools in Gainax's toolbox moving forward.
6. Tsurumaki is quoted as saying that he wanted to "break the rules" of anime and that "comprehension should not be an important factor in FLCL."

The point here is that Anno introduced a new style and Tsurumaki used this OVA (not as much risk because it's an OVA) to experiment with and essentially perfect this new style. He succeeded and this direction and animation style became a huge part of Gainax's signature style (see: Diebuster). FLCL wasn't about story, deep characterization, or making any kind of sense. It was about style, and using direction to evoke particular emotional responses. In that sense, it's incredibly effective and successful. Most people don't need to have any idea what's going on in order to enjoy FLCL, so objective accomplished. What show does a better job of evoking complex emotions like wistfulness?
>>
>>147210232
>"What is the greatest anime of all time?"
But Evangelion is the answer to that though.
>>
This fucking scene, man. It's pure art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a8HXyKLkEI

This is the first scene of the show and it shows a couple just spending their time together. 2 minutes and a half of watching a pair of kids living their youth.
Corporations are big, weird and foreign; days are simple; girls are pretty; sports are fun. Just remember being a 14 year old and then you realize that FLCL just works.
>>
Never seen this show, but I really like the pillows

Should I bother watching the show?

Also posting best song
https://youtu.be/-gvIdwg9CXg
>>
The greatest attempt Japan has made in the field of animation
>>
>>147219834
i didn't really want to get into it, but flcl also takes a lot of theory from french new wave and classic films and applies it to animation and modern senses of aesthetic/entertainment.

for example, if you understand some of the stuff godard did in pierrot le fou, you'll understand some of the stuff used in flcl and how it was adapted.
>>
>>147220091
obviously
>>
>>147220055
FLCL is for normal 14 year olds who have no real problems in life other than the weirdness of puberty.

Evangelion is for anti social weird 14 year olds who suffer from some kind of deep psychological trauma. Which is why I respect Eva more and hold it closer to my heart because I was just like Shinji, but they are both equally good.
>>
>>147220216
>used to say FLCL was my favorite anime when I was 15
>now as an adult it's Eva
w-what does that make me
>>
>>147219834
So to actually address your original point,
>I feel like it's a masterpiece but I have no clue why
This is a very common response when watching FLCL:

>>147220055
>you realize that FLCL just works
>>147209119
>It literally OOZED style and uniqueness.
>>147209284
>The plot is still a bit hard to follow sometimes and a lot is just surreal fun

What people who say things like "it just works" or "I liked it but I'm not sure why" are not realizing is that the direction is working for them. Each scene is so infused with personality and novelty that it almost doesn't matter what's happening. This is why I'm not a fan of trying to analyze the story of FLCL. I don't think it was ever intended to be totally figured out. The plot points of each episode are more about the feeling the director wanted to evoke with that episode than about character motivations or story. Personally, I feel that FLCL is best enjoyed with a simple "along for the ride" mentality.

So given all that context, is it a masterpiece? Well, it depends on how you're measuring. It accomplished its goal in pretty magnificent fashion, and what's more, it's one of the best directed anime of all time, and innovates a masterful new style. So if you're talking about the literal definition of a masterpiece, I think there's a fair argument to be made for FLCL being Tsurumaki's masterwork. It depends on whether you think he's a master of the craft, I suppose. Personally, I don't think a work that is characterized by wild experimentation can be considered a masterwork. For a masterwork, you want an example of a master craftsman executing flawlessly. FLCL is more the work of an incredibly talented yet unproven journeyman executing boldly and wildly. The work was incredibly influential and important, but I don't think that masterwork is the right word.

>>147220091
Great track. The only reasons you wouldn't enjoy FLCL is if you hate stuff that isn't super plot-driven.
>>
FLCL is great, it also has the best English dub if you are into that.
>>
>>147212326
I rewatched high and it was quite an experience. But yeah, the first watch should be sober.
>>
My dream for S2 would be a totally unrelated story with a similar over-the-top style and abstract story scored by Bugy Craxone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rJf37qQqU0
>>
File: 1468812721326.jpg (67KB, 556x768px) Image search: [Google]
1468812721326.jpg
67KB, 556x768px
>>147221059
Hey, that sounds well. This and a female MC would be amazing.
>>
>>147221025
Kari Wahlgren is my voice waifu but she was a little annoying. But it was her first roll and she did good nevertheless.
>>
>only 2 eps
>masterpiece
But the best episodes are from 4 to 6
>>
>>147207011
Because at heart you're a horny 14 year old girl who like shiny things
>>
File: 1458854740122.jpg (39KB, 353x331px) Image search: [Google]
1458854740122.jpg
39KB, 353x331px
>>147221669
>female MC would be amazing
The season 2 MC is female, according to the synopsis.
>>
File: 1433130555365.jpg (132KB, 600x627px) Image search: [Google]
1433130555365.jpg
132KB, 600x627px
>>147222292
I really hope no one else but Haruko shows up from S1.
FLCL is perfect as a stand alone, please don't taint it.
>>
>>147222417

I'm hoping S2 is more of a "sequel" in the style of Diebuster was to Gunbuster. If it's just "LETS SEE WHAT OUR WACKY FRIENDS ARE UP TO THESE DAYS", it'll be really hard to convince me that it could possibly be any good
>>
File: ninamori.jpg (398KB, 1683x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ninamori.jpg
398KB, 1683x1200px
>>147210232
>>147221669
Ninamori of my favorite Fooly.

Which Fooly would you Cooly?
>>
File: mpv-shot0001.jpg (152KB, 1480x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0001.jpg
152KB, 1480x1080px
>>147222934

It's not like FLCL has a great pool of waifus to begin with.

Except Kitsurubami, the foolyist and the coolyist and objectively best
>>
File: 1426811878195.gif (168KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1426811878195.gif
168KB, 500x500px
>>147222417
I wouldn't mind a few cameos or follow-ups to previous character arcs, but you're probably right that less is better.

But I don't think it can be avoided, given that they're already planning 2 seasons and years ahead, It seems like a sign that they have plans to tie together all the characters and plot threads that have been brought up
>>
The atmosphere of this show was top notch. I can't really describe it. Nothing could ever come close. Is it Nostalgia?

Cause I do remember staying up late at night (late for me) laying down, having this on, and closing my eyes when the ED came on.
>>
So do i watch this or Lupin?
>>
>>147223101
>chick's got hearts in her eyes
>shadow in the reflection looks like a giant dick

kek, I didn't catch on to that when I saw this back when I was 12.
>>
>>147207011

It's written and directed by guys that spent way too much time in Film Analysis 101
>>
File: 1411957903854.png (229KB, 407x341px) Image search: [Google]
1411957903854.png
229KB, 407x341px
I had absolutely no hope for the new seasons till I found out they brought The Pillows back for the soundtrack.

Is this what it feels like when hope is alive?
>>
>>147223386

DB fans also thought they had hope when they heard Toriyama was making a canon sequel. Don't make their mistake. Never hope.
>>
>>147220028
But anon
FLCL is a retelling of Evangelion
>>
FLCL is a series of abstract music videos from The Pillows. This is its only true meaning.
>>
>>147223386
But the pillows are super generic now. At least, Horn Again was. Have they even had a new album since then?
>>
What are the good Pillows albums, anyway? Keep meaning to download it, but I don't know which ones I should bother with.
>>
>>147220322
More self-aware? You were probably weird and socially retarded when you were a teenager but you were too autistic to realize it or even care. Now that you're older (and presumably have grown/matured) you can look back on the situation from a different perspective so the themes of Eva resonate with you more. That's what happened with me anyway.
>>
>>147225300
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pillows_discography

Everything from Please Mr. Lostman to My Foot, definitely. The albums before Please Mr. Lostman are very different. Wake Up!x3 and Pied Piper are OK. Haven't heard any of their newer stuff.
>>
>>147220993
OP here. Thanks for the response, I think you hit it right on the forehead there. Great to see that there are some really helpful users here beyond the gatekeepers and waifu claimers.
>>
>>147225940
that would make sense but I was fairly aware about being a fuckup from 13-18, even went to therapy in high school
maybe I just wanted to feel like more of a special snowflake by denying how much Evangelion resonated with me then, if thats the case then I was a real faggot
idk
>>147225300
little busters and happy bivouac are the really essential ones if you want to jump right in
if you want all the good ones then what >>147226017 said is pretty much right
>>
>>147220147
I saw a video on how Bakemono takes a lot of french new wave for it's direction, I can definitely see the similarities here.
>>
File: 1473477828695.gif (1MB, 256x199px) Image search: [Google]
1473477828695.gif
1MB, 256x199px
>>147226017

Oh man, I remember seeing them live back in 2011 when they did their tour in America. It was fucking mind blowing. I think a lot of their older songs held on well, but it was disappointing because one of their bandmates got stuck by customs because of something wrong with their passports so we have some flunkie playing replacement bass.

Not a bad show but literally FLCL "The tour"
They did play a few songs from their newer and older discographies, its amazing how many of the fans dont know their other songs. If anyone remembered the secret track after Hybrid Rainbow..Secret Slogan is one of my probably most favorite (non-official) tracks ever.
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.