[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shinichiro Wantanabe confirms the anime industry is declining

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 518
Thread images: 67

File: bebop.jpg (244KB, 1146x786px) Image search: [Google]
bebop.jpg
244KB, 1146x786px
>"Back in the 70s and 80s, animated shows were made for a much wider general public so there were many more general corporations that would sponsor general shows. But since the 1990s, animated shows became geared more towards a deeper and narrower audience, so they became increasingly subsidized by DVD and prerecorded VHS sales. Thanks to that, my shows such as Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo could have creative freedom. However, since the 2000s, there has been a sharp decline in home video sales, so it has been difficult for productions to recoup production costs. Because of that, companies have become increasingly conservative and only venture to make shows that would ensure sales such as moe titles. That has been the issue since around the millennium. Around that time, I myself had a lot of experimental or adventurous titles that I pitched and pretty much all of them went on hiatus. Basically when I tossed the pitch to companies, the first question back would be, 'so, where’s the pretty girl?'"

http://otakuusamagazine.com/Anime/News1/Cowboy-Bebops-Shinichiro-Watanabe-and-Dai-Sato-Tal-8182.aspx
>>
>>147088937
>this thread again
>"A lot of animation is extremely 'samey"
>anime was almost nothing but science-fiction robots and beautiful little girls, and it just gets boring after a while.
>Animation based on popular comic books and giant robots and big-eyed girls with shamefully skimpy costumes will continue to fill the screen."
-Kon, 1999

>I don’t think there’s any bright future. That’s because the people who are producing it are not doing well.
>The people who make it, and the people who want it, they’re always wanting the same things. They’ve been making only similar things for the past ten years, with no sense of urgency.
-Anno, 1996

>Panda Kopanda was made, well, how many years ago was it, when Japanese TV animation was at its lowest. If you look at the history of TV animation, there are many such "lowest" times. It's still at a low even now.
-Miyazaki, 1995 (Panda Kopanda was made in 1972)

> I frankly despise the truncated word "anime" because to me it only symbolizes the current desolation of our industry.
-Miyazaki, 1988

>The general theme in currently popular shows seems to be that the protagonist jumps on a giant machine he couldn’t possible have created on his own, battles the enemy in it, and then boasts about winning. I frankly hate these kind of shows.
-Miyazaki, 1979

>The hallmark of Japanese animation became works with a great deal of pretension, where vaporous and extremely deformed characters inhabited distorted and flashily colorized worlds.
-Miyazaki, 1979, talking about the 60s to early 70s
>>
>>147089093
Why does Miyazaki have some sort of complex about anime?

He seems so critical of it, yet produces great works, yet still remains critical of the fact that others don't follow his "ambitious" trail that the blazes.

Does he just wish for a world that can never exist?
>>
We already knew that, Watanabe. Don't rub the salt and broken glass in.
>>
>>147090368
He knows how potentially beautiful and stunning animation can be, how free a medium it is for story-telling, and despises that the medium is not being used to its full potential.
>>
>>147090368
>Why does Miyazaki have some sort of complex about anime?

Wouldn't you want the thing you pour so much passion into to be wonderful and diverse instead of the same shit people keep buying? And the best part is, the stuff he made did very well, so you can't even say he's wrong.
>>
>>147088937
there's a reason academics don't really put much weight on what artists and authors have to say.
>>
File: 1374425133368.jpg (312KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1374425133368.jpg
312KB, 600x600px
>>147089093
>The people who make it, and the people who want it, they’re always wanting the same things.
Could it possibly be, maybe, that this is perhaps the ideal situation? No, impossible.
>>
>>147089093
Miyazaki hates mecha? What a fag.
>>
>>147090368
My impression is that he'd really rather have been a Western or Russian animator. He loves foreign animation, and he loves the Disney-inspired model/approach that Toei used to use before Tezuka, but unfortunately for him that model was completely impractical for TV anime and died out fast once Tezuka showed up and everyone started focusing on limited animation. He and Takahata were more or less the only really major TV anime directors before 1980 who weren't trained at Mushi Pro under Tezuka's philosophy, so they were the stylistic outsiders, and then they went and segregated themselves off in their own private movie studio while the stuff they (or at least Miyazaki) hated continued to dominate the industry up to the present day.

>>147090603
Like I said, his approach is not really feasible as an industry-wide TV model. It lost out in the 60s because it was objectively inferior on that front - it can be extremely successful in small doses, but it's not a large-scale model. There's a reason TV animation didn't take off until Tezuka came along.
>>
>>147090638
Because academics never even got to become has-beens and get paid jack shit too.
>>
>>147089093
>waaaaah why can't everyone make shows that line up with my standards
Because you're a narcissist, Miyazaki.
>>
>>147090510
>>147090603

not really. all artists have to make a place for their work by disparaging what others in their medium do, regardless of quality. miyazaki is no exception. pretentious fucks have been decrying the debasement of X for millennia.
>>
>>147090705
>He loves foreign animation, and he loves the Disney-inspired model/approach that Toei used to use before Tezuka, but unfortunately for him that model was completely impractical for TV anime and died out fast once Tezuka showed up and everyone started focusing on limited animation.

The lack of budget wasn't Tezuka's fault, it was because producers at the time never saw animation outside of big movies as anything other than a cheap advertisement. The fact that Tezuka was able to make a functional TV series out of his shit budget is a testament to his genius. If it weren't for him Japanese animation would have never took off the ground and the Japanese the people at Toei like Miyazaki would have kept on making poor Disney imitations that tanked at the box office.
>>
>>147090881
Shut the fuck up Cimabue, Giotto was objectively better.
>>
>>147090956
I absolutely agree with you, that's why I said there's a reason TV anime didn't take off before that.
>>
>>147088937
Space Dandy S2 when?
>>
>back in the 70s and 80s, anime was designed solely to sell toys
>then they discovered the otaku market: a niche thirsting for "DEEP COMPLEX ANIMES" who would buy those, and they began to enjoy doing that instead of just churning out a handful of children's cartoons about giant robots/super sentais made to advertise toys and paid for by toy companies
>>
>>147090645
Pretty much this. This "decline" is just elitist butthurt, nothing more.
>>
>>147088937
>That has been the issue since around the millennium. Around that time, I myself had a lot of experimental or adventurous titles that I pitched and pretty much all of them went on hiatus. Basically when I tossed the pitch to companies, the first question back would be, 'so, where’s the pretty girl?'"
> since around the millennium
But Watanabe's only projects before the turn of the millennium were Macross Plus and Bebop. He didn't create Macross Plus - Kawamori did and hired Watanabe to direct it - so that's irrelevant here since he's talking about ideas he comes up with. And Bebop almost didn't get finished because the Bandai division initially funding it withdrew support midway through when it became apparent it wouldn't sell spaceship toys to kids like they wanted. And then the first run had to be aborted partway through because it was a drastically censored executive-meddling cut that no one liked.

So "since around the turn of the millennium" in this context really means "literally my entire career." For Watanabe's entire career, starting with the very first idea that he ever turned into an anime, he has had trouble convincing companies to support him because those ideas haven't been commercial enough for them. So he has literally no experience of a time when you could propose unusual ideas without meeting resistance, but he's sure that things must have been like that back in the 70s before his time, he just knows it.

tl;dr Watanabe's another retarded nostalgiafag, get over it.
>>
File: md_geist_awsm1.jpg (24KB, 400x275px) Image search: [Google]
md_geist_awsm1.jpg
24KB, 400x275px
M.D.GEIST
"M.D." STANDS FOR "MOST DANGEROUS." THAT'S RIGHT, AS DANGEROUS AS ANYTHING CAN BE!!
A MAN WAS BORN OUT OF A BATTLE.
His fighting capacity, his alone, corresponds to that of an army. That is why people call him "M.D." THE MOST DANGEROUS MAN.
>>
>>147091593
You're leaving out an important part of his character. He's an M.D.S. which is to say, he's the most dangerous soldier. He's just a soldier.

Much more interesting than the rantings of a man who wishes he was Disney.
>>
If you actually enjoy good anime hopefully you've figured out by now that there's a pattern in niche media where outsiders with creative ideas find place to make cool stuff because the the bar for entry is lower in terms of funding and corporate oversight. Doesn't matter if it's pulp novels, record labels, anime or comics/manga.

He's not saying all anime produced under the modern model is bad (his "adventurous" anime might be total shit after all) but he's saying that it's harder to take creative risks.

>Meanwhile, it's time for the fiftieth rehash of a popular manga to be turned into an anime
>>
File: pilots.jpg (690KB, 2614x1587px) Image search: [Google]
pilots.jpg
690KB, 2614x1587px
>>147090685

I think he hates how unrealistic mecha pilots are portrayed, not mechas themselves. Miyazaki likes mechs if you care to look into his works.
>>
>>147090510
Oh no, other artists aren't in the position to get 3,000,000,000 yen budgets like I do. And if he truly respected animation he would let animators individuality show.
>>
>>147091825
What he hates isn't the lack of realism, he just has a pretty autistic hang-up about the fact that the MCs are given a mech and win with its power. This is the full paragraph:
> In Japan today, animated TV shows filled with all kinds of fancy, robotlike, mechanical creations are all the rage. I have certainly drawn lots of mecha, or mechanical things, myself. but the general theme in currently popular shows seems to be that the protagonist jumps on a giant machine he couldn’t possible have created on his own, battles the enemy in it, and then boasts about winning. I frankly hate these kind of shows. I don’t care what types of robots are featured. For me, in a truly successful mecha show the protagonist should struggle to build his own machine, he should fix it when it breaks down, and he should have to operate it himself.
>>
>>147091954
This seals the deal. The old man is literally autistic.
>>
>>147088937
I agree with him and the:
>"where's the pretty girl?"
thing is pretty worrysome.
Still Space Dandy was shit, CB is highly overrated and Samurai Champloo has many shit episodes.
>>
>>147091954

Well I still wasn't wrong, he doesn't hate mechs per-se.
>>
File: 1440339274771.gif (3MB, 444x250px) Image search: [Google]
1440339274771.gif
3MB, 444x250px
>>147092222
>Space Dandy was shit

I wish I could hate you to death.
>>
>>147088937
I knew it, moe is killing anime
>>
>>147092368
It's not moe. That's fine in a diverse environment. The problem is it's the only thing selling so producers are only funding those projects.

The problem is that the average nip isn't going out and buying dvd's and figures.
>>
>>147088937
>the audience must adjust to what i want, not the other way around!
>>
>>147089093
So, in conclusion, anime was never good.
>>
>>147092469

That's not what he said though.

>>147092411 got it right.
>>
File: 6341.png (231KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
6341.png
231KB, 600x600px
>>147092428
>penn gillette meme
>>
File: 1345262540694.gif (743KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1345262540694.gif
743KB, 500x281px
>It's another Grandpa's nostalgia goggles thread.
>>
I always see the fact stated that :"home video sales are declining".

If that's the case, why not mature your medium into realms that are going to make money as society moves towards the future?

Some studios are embracing streaming, but it's incredibly non-lucrative. They need to take hold of that medium and turn it into something sustainable.
>>
>>147090368
He wants anime to be used as a vehicle for one's personal love of animation and/or to tell stories that have positive effects on people or make them think.
But most stuff is just big boobed woman doing absolutely mindless things and telling pathetic stories with the goal of people buying their big boobed woman merch.
>>
>>147092411
>>147092411
>The problem is it's the only thing selling
The five top-selling TV anime this year so far have been KonoSuba, Macross, Re:Zero, Joker Game, and JoJo. None of those are CGDCT, and two don't even have female characters in the main cast.
>>
>>147092591
I love the fact that no one in the industry gives a fuck about his wishes and we can continue to get nice titties in anime. Tell grandpa to fuck off already
>>
>>147092552

You will be old one day too, and you will nostalgia over your moe shit.
>>
>>147092622
>cute girls
>cute girls
>cute girls
>you got me
>fujobait
>>
I like cute girls doing cute things shows but damn there's like 20 of those shows every season. It gets tiring.
>>
>>147092591
As you could have seen if you'd read the various Miyazaki quotes in this thread, he has far more issues than just that, right down to the way robots are operated. The guy was just born unhappy.
>>
>>147092693
>moe girls and comedy
>moe girls and mecha
>I don't know because I didn't watch this one
>no moe
>no moe
Fujobait isn't moe (at least not inherently, and certainly not in JoJo's case).
>>
File: 1427529193785.jpg (42KB, 371x350px) Image search: [Google]
1427529193785.jpg
42KB, 371x350px
>>147092622
>Joker Game was in the top 5 selling

THANK YOU BASED PRODUCTION I.G
>>
>>147092694
>like 20 of those shows every season
There are literally two this season. And there are ~40 shows total. Go abck to /v/ and stop shitposting about a medium you don't watch.
>>
>>147092622

What about One Piece, DBS and .. Toriko it was?

Aren't these the "big three" or something.
>>
File: 1458607121621.jpg (45KB, 268x247px) Image search: [Google]
1458607121621.jpg
45KB, 268x247px
>>147092819
>>
>>147092819

We just pretend those don't exist or else it'd be unfair.
>>
File: 1420247133312.jpg (77KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
1420247133312.jpg
77KB, 380x380px
>>147092819
>>
>>147092882
This. Toriko is literally the best-selling anime of all time, it'd be silly to compare any other ongoing anime to it.
>>
>>147092794
I'll admit I was exaggerating, but come on, there are definitely more than 2. Generic moe and harem shows dominate every season.
>>
>>147091235
he's worked in studios since like the 80s or 90s

and he's not complaining, he's stating a fact, that it's harder to get something made unless it appeals to certain demographics because there's less monetization.
>>
>>147092844
>>147092894
Stop posting smugs and just answer the anon's question.
>>
>>147092938
So who is at fault?

A: The public for not caring about his shit?

B: Watanabe, for making irrelevant shit that no one wants to see?

If he really is complaining about not being able to produce shit that he likes, he should crowdfund a project. Why should a studio bear the risk of supporting his work when their is little profit to be made?

It is simple supply and demand at the end of the day. There is no demand for what he is peddling, so he has to blame everyone else for his marketability shortcomings.
>>
>>147092938
>>147092938
>he's worked in studios since like the 80s or 90s
Yes, but he's talking about launching his own ideas/projects, and he didn't do that until Bebop. He's drawing on his own experience and saying "since the turn of the millennium" like there was some shift, but he doesn't have any experience turning his ideas into anime before that.
>>
>>147092622
This is pretty funny
>Cute girls doing comedic stuff
>Mecha stuff with a focus on the cute girls, but is also a long running franchise
>Novel adaptations where merch has focused on two girls
>Military-suspense
>Adaptation of a very old, fan-favorite series
It actually hits all the bases well for what most popular anime are
>>
>>147092936
>there are definitely more than 2.
Nope. New Game and Amanchu. Plus Love Live if you count idols as CGDCT.

>Generic moe and harem shows dominate every season.
Harems aren't CGDCT, but again, no. The only harems this season are Masou Gakuen HxH, and Ange Vierge as a yuri harem. So CGDCT and Harems together make up at most ~12% of the season.
>>
>>147093169
>Cute girls doing comedic stuff
What? Did you even lurk /a/ while Konosuba was airing, let alone watch it? It's not CGDCT at all, it's a parody of isekai harems.
>>
>>147088937
that's probably his opinion. That guy needs to be more diverse and sell shit to fund art. Whatever happened to flexibility and variety? It's like he's blaming the progression of the arts on financial statistics when he simply just has to work on a piece. Worry about the ratings later. Art is art, don't sacrifice it for ratings.

That is a tough thing, considering law and all, but the reality is, not everyone is really familiar with prospects beyond the red tape and so forth. It is a tough industry to sell in the first place really.
>>
>>147089093
Ignore Miyazaki, he only liked kidshit anime
>>
>>147093317
Kiddie shit anime is better than otaku-pandering shit though.
>>
>>147088937
>Shinichiro Watanabe confirms that the MoeBump after the financial crisis was real and not just in the imagination of "normalfag" animegoers.

Based Shinichiro
>>
>>147093317
He hates Tezuka and Disney though.
>>
>>147092662
People have been complaining about "moe" since the 80s, nothings changed and nothing will change.
>>
>>147093360
Eh I think they're about as bad. I can't watch either.
>>
>>147093373

Source?
>>
>>147088937
>I'm butthurt that no one liked Stoner Dandy or Zankyou no Terror.

That's all what I'm getting from this.
>>
>people still pretend bebop was good
>>
>>147093373
He definitely doesn't hate Tezuka - he's said he was annoyed at himself for how much Tezuka influenced him, but he still acknowledged him and was influenced by him nonetheless - and I doubt he hates old Disney, either, though he isn't a fan of a lot of the rotoscoping they did for their humans.
>>
>>147093379

And? you will still get old one day and have nostalgia over your moe shit.

Unless, of course, you die earlier.
>>
>>147093379
It increased from 2008-2013 before falling off again.
>>
>>147090956
It's also why there's not much of a point in complaining about Tezuka's impact on TV anime. Tezuka's movies (the few he managed to do) weren't at all like his TV stuff and some of them even went experimental at times.
>>
>>147093430
ZnT is nothing like Bebop though. Also if they hadn't made the mains moralfags it would've been far more controversial and thus gotten more viewers
>>
Joker game sold almost 10k and it was dogshit. I don't see whats stopping wannabe from releasing a drama with a male cast and a dull color palette
>>
>>147093373
http://nishikataeiga.blogspot.com/2011/05/hayao-miyazakis-taste-in-animation.html

He shits on a bunch of other famous names like Fleischer too.
>>
>>147093548
Meant for >>147093417 >>147093445

>I found myself disgusted by the cheap pessimism of works like [Mermaid] or [The Drop], which showed a drop of water falling on a thirsty man adrift at sea. I felt that this pessimism was qualitatively different from the pessimism Tezuka used to have in the odl days, as in the early days of [Astro Boy], for example – but it also could have been that in the early days I felt great tragedy and trembled with excitement at Tezuka’s cheap pessimism precisely because I was so young. (194)

>I felt the same thing with Tezuka’s Tales of a Street Corner – the animated film which Muschi Pro poured everything into making. There’s a scene in the film where posters of a ballerina and a violinist of some such things are trampled and scattered by soldiers’ boots during an air raid and then waft into the flames like moths. I remember that when I saw this, I was so disgusted that chills ran down my spine. (194-5)

>Now I’ll refrain from going into too much detail because I don’t want to belabour the point, but when I saw [Pictures at an Exhibition], I really wondered what the heck the film was all about. And in the last scene in Cleopatra, at the line, “Go home, Rome,” I felt disgust. They had spent so much effort trying to develop so many sexy love scenes that the final “Go home, Rome,” line was just oo much for me to take. that was around the time I really sensed the bankruptcy of Tezuka’s vanity. (195)
>>
>>147093599
And on Disney:

>Disney’s Cinderella. . . is living proof that modeling live-action images in the pursuit of realistic movement is a double-edged sword. In trying to achieve a sense of realism by using an average American young woman as a model, they lost even more of the inherent symbolism of the original Cinderella story than they did with their version of Snow White. (74-5)
>>
>>147093548
>hating based Popeye man

Is there a bigger cunt than Miyazaki? Fuck that jii-san.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p_SABG3SPk
>>
>>147093548

Admittedly I haven't watched any of the Tezuka films he's talking about. I only watched Hi no tori, which I liked, but the manga was better.
The old Astro Boy TV series was indeed low budget though.
>>
File: 1426368000794.jpg (3MB, 766x9000px) Image search: [Google]
1426368000794.jpg
3MB, 766x9000px
>>147093625
It's a known fact that Miyazaki hates excessive referencing and rotosope.
>>
>>147092411
This.
>>
>>147093445
No, he appreciates Tezuka but considers him a hack, especially in his animation:

>Many publications ran memorial features on Osamu TEZUKA upon his death in 1989, and while most experts and insiders would memorialize him in these articles, Hayao MIYAZAKI, while acknowledging Tezuka’s achievements as a manga author, criticized him harshly with regards to his activities within the field of animation, leaving many around the world dumbfounded.

>“But as far as animation—I say this believing that on this topic alone I have the right, and also some duty to say this—Everything that Tezuka-san had spoken about or advocated was wrong.” (“Tezuka Osamu ni ‘Kami no Te’ wo Mita Toki, Boku wa Kare to Ketsubetsu shita ”. Miyazaki, Hayao. Comicbox, May 1989)

>Miyazaki sharply criticized Tezuka by saying that he believed that as an animator, Tezuka was a “Novice” and an “Unskilled Enthusiast”, but that despite this he was able to use his fame as a manga author to create his own anime company which then began to produce television anime, severely warping the direction of the Japanese animation industry.

http://2chan.us/wordpress/2009/04/13/japanese-lectureblog-post-translation-the-space-between-anime-and-manga-4-why-is-the-manga-version-of-%E2%80%9Cnausicaa%E2%80%9D-so-hard-to-read-by-takekuma-kentaro/

I also love this article because it points out Miyazaki's inadequacies as a mangaka.
>>
>>147093058
That's pretty reasonable. When markets don't cater to me or move from catering to me as they increase in popularity I direct my anger at the demographic that changed the thing I like. Nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>147093806
Fuck I love this
>>
>>147093453
And my point is there's going to be some faggots remembering shit like erased or re:zero as "classics" and how "moes ruined the medium I remember the old days when it used to be good" far in the future just like today's born in the wrong generation fuckers that think 90s was the best decade for anime when in fact it was the worst. Just like today, just like 20 years ago. It's all just nostalgia trying to find a scapegoat to blame the "decline" of the industry to.
>>
>>147093976
And my point is that you will be an old nostalgic fuck at some point in your life, too.
>>
>>147093302
>cute girls
check
>doing comedic stuff
check
>>
>>147093058
i don't think crowdfunding is really a thing in japan

and the foreign crowdfunding market barely supports singular episodes, let alone series
>>
>>147092693
I think you mean
>cute girls
>cute girls
>cute girls
>Fujo bait
>Fujo bait
>>
>>147088937
>One guy says anime is dying!
>Okay, let's listen to the chump because his name is all the proof he needs!
>>
>>147094010
>people
check
>talking
>check
Konosuba is about people talking, guys.
>>
>>147094012
I think Mayoiga was actually crowdfunded, but I do think that it'd be difficult to crowdfund a project
>>
>>147094054
Poor people who ordered Mayoiga. they probably thought they were getting a Higurashi clone
>>
>>147094006
But at least I won't be as wrong.
>>
>>147094108

That's subjective.
>>
File: 1473192701888.jpg (39KB, 510x346px) Image search: [Google]
1473192701888.jpg
39KB, 510x346px
tl;dr
>"uwaaaa Anime isn't like what I want!"
>>
>>147094234
Pretty reasonable to be honest. If every show was suddenly well written with an interesting plot I'm sure you would be throwing tantrums too.
>>
>>147092819
Mainstream anime itself doesn't sell lots of anime discs, which for the niche anime shows that /a/ tends to talk about is more important. Mainstream anime like One Piece that airs during the day does sell lots of other merchandise and manga volumes. Movies of those shows on the other hand do sell lots of discs.
>>
>>147093976
No show of today has anything on shows like Eva or Lain.
No show nowadays is as subtle, complex, has as good shot composition and aesthetics(this last point being the most controversial, but seeing how everything is so much cheaper nowadays it's pretty much a given fact) as those shows.
>>
>>147094363
>good shot composition and aesthetic
Here come the kyoani fags
>>
So all old timers in the industry are actually closet homosexuals that hate cute girls, did I get that right?
>>
File: musashi.jpg (12KB, 354x272px) Image search: [Google]
musashi.jpg
12KB, 354x272px
>>147092649
You get better titties out of French works, and they still manage to maintain a semblance of artistry on top of it.
>>
>>147093924
> the demographic that changed the thing I like
So people who like the things you like? Because it's their fault, you know. It's not that people who like the things you don't like are cheating or delivering some massive over-the-top overall sums of money - they're literally the only ones giving enough money to support the industry to begin with. People who share your anti-current-anime taste, whatever it may be, are not putting their money where their mouth is. So blame them, because they are the ones who cause stuff they like to not be made, by not watching/buying it.
>>
>>147093548
Feels bad I'll never shit on the people who made Japanese anime when they die because I'm a pleb who pretends to have taste
>>
>>147094512
I was speaking more in abstracts to be honest.
>>
>>147094054
That was misleading. Mayoiga did have a crowdfund drive, but it was for like $10K or something else tiny that wouldn't fund even half of an episode, and it happened a few weeks before the show aired, when obviously the actual funding was already done and work was well underway. It was clearly more of an experiment with an eye to the future than an actual funding method for Mayoiga itself.
>>
>>147094385
Everyone who isn't just an otaku who's completely oblivious to visual composition in photography or painting wouldn't call kyoani anything but hollywood tier in their shot composition.
>>
>>147094588
>>147094363
>this nigger again
Do you really need to try and lecture /a/ about European arthouse shot composition every five days?
>>
>>147094012
Didnt Trigger crowdsource for their upcoming movie?

Tell Watanabe to move to movies, no one is gonna give him money for another half cour series.
>>
>>147094588
https://boards.fireden.net/_/search/image/KlpU-LwpvsZSyHMx71g3Dw/
Fuck off already, you autist.
>>
>>147094363
All of those are quite irrelevant if a person has nostalgia goggles thick enough.
>>
>>147093548
>shitting on popeye
What a fag
>>
>>147094684
>>147094648
They may be an autist but they're doing god's work.
>>
File: 1466481184902.png (47KB, 522x472px) Image search: [Google]
1466481184902.png
47KB, 522x472px
>>147094400
How many sameface character archtype shows with a full female cast can you possibly sit down and watch in it's entirety in your lifetime before you've had enough
>>
>>147094720
popeye a shit.
>>
>>147094684

He's not wrong though
>>
>>147094684
>>147094648

>waa, more knowledgeable, tasteful people who are actually into visual arts are on my board mom, make them leave!

>>147094694
But my point is that it's not because of nostalgia goggles. It's just that the industry doesn't think those shows are safe enough to invest in.
>>
>>147094586
https://www.makuake.com/project/mayoiga/
I was just only trying to point out the only example I could think of, not trying to mislead, and the original goal is 30k, it wouldn't have made an actual impact for sure though
I still think it is worth pointing out in regards to the extremely high average amount backed compared to most other things on kickstarter
>>
>>147094771
I've had about 300 and there hasn't been any sign of stopping.
Thanks for the concern.
>>
File: 776516583.jpg (47KB, 600x587px) Image search: [Google]
776516583.jpg
47KB, 600x587px
>>147094771
>he thinks cute girls will ever get old

I have been watching them for 22 years, and have yet to tire of them.
>>
File: moneyfallingfromthesky.jpg (156KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
moneyfallingfromthesky.jpg
156KB, 1024x768px
>Meanwhile at Kyoani
>>
Face it guys, you aren't Miyazaki. Mizayaki bases his criticism on style and content and is always insightful, you on the other spam every thread whining about moeshit. You might as well be on GIA when you compare your shitposting to his god posting
>>
File: Bahi BTFO.jpg (254KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
Bahi BTFO.jpg
254KB, 1280x854px
I wonder if Anno IRL actually thinks the same of animators these days as his Shirobako self.
>>
>>147094771
I've lost count.
It's gonna take a lot of them.
>>
Why won't educated people just admit that it is because of the declining economy?
>80~90s, corporations had it much easier to invest on random things and they had money floating around in their corporate bank accounts and banks gave out loans to anyone in need.
Now Japanese learned how to calculate and gauge their profit so they don't invest on random shits like anime
>>
>>147094870
>Face it guys, you aren't Miyazaki
Not an argument
>>
>>147094887
>Not an argument
>>>/v/
>>>/pol/
>>
>>147094873
Probably but it was pretty useless to tell that to an production assistant.
>>
>>147094873
Not if the clusterfuck of shitty CGI and explosions in 3.0 was any indicator.
>>
File: 1404618231712.png (105KB, 359x380px) Image search: [Google]
1404618231712.png
105KB, 359x380px
>>147094809
>>147094849
>>147094879

>Near infinite possibilities only constrained by the human imagination and the limitations of a 2D medium
>Just make and watch the same thing over and over again
>>
>>147094924
Not him but you get off of /a/ if you don't like anime discussion, stupid.
>>
>>147094924
I still don't see any argument.

>>>/t/umblr
>>
>>147094802
>more knowledgeable
Some nigger posted some of the most famous shots from Texhnolyze as an example of top-tier directing that wasn't NGE, and you asked for source.
>>
>>147093453
And?You are not making any point.
>>
>>147094802
And they're right to think so, the anime that marketed themselves as being unique that did get funded have been nothing but dogshit.

Nostalgia might not be the main factor but it definitely does play a big part, at least for most casuals.
>>
>>147094962
>you can't like something unless it's new
Who the fuck cares how many possibilities there are? I don't give a shit about creativity for its own sake, I want to enjoy myself.
>>
>>147094979
Wasn't talking about anime knowledge.
>>
>>147094969
>engaging /pol/tards in discussion
"Not an argument" is a phrase used by /pol/ fags that makes them think that they've automatically invalidated anything the other person says.
>>
File: 1424558244788.png (216KB, 506x538px) Image search: [Google]
1424558244788.png
216KB, 506x538px
>>147094962
It is a shame those lowly plebians do not have superior taste like ourselves, right?
>>
>>147094120
Nope
>>
>>147094854
Not after Shinkai came by.
>>
>>147094854
>Koe no Floptchi
>money
>>
>>147095013
>discussion about the development and current state of the anime industry
>on the anime board
>Anime direction has gotten worse, I know this because I'm really knowledgeable about live action!
Then go back to /tv/, nigger.
>>
>>147094962
>Near infinite possibilities only constrained by the human imagination and the limitations of a 2D medium
Where do people get this idea? Anime has always been made to sell shit and always will be.
>>
>>147094962
The fact that you think anything with cute girls in it is automatically trash, makes you exactly what that picture is saying.
>>
>>147095070
I know it has gotten worse because I'm not uncultured and I know a thing or two about our visual tradition.
>>
>>147094880
Because all these issues are connected.
Yes, the economy is the reason companies can't afford throwaway investments in random creative projects by anime studios. But the reason that's a throwaway investment is because of how the industry itself has changed. Anime is a bad investment because it's too niche of a market and it's been trending down towards increasingly nichedom for a very long time.

The reason we see so goddamn many awful LN adaptations every season is a symptom of this. Studios take these contracts in spades to pay the bills because they're about the only thing available. Publishers put money into the industry because anime adaptations are a proven effective way of advertising their products, but the problem is that there's nothing else outside of that. Most other companies and industries see anime as a bad investment and steer well clear. The result is that the whole industry has become a practice in just paying the bills from season by making big LN commercials, while everything else has stagnated and atrophied.
>>
>>147095043
I think technically to repetitively consume the same thing over and over again you would have to have no taste to begin with.
>>
File: 1388891927976.jpg (32KB, 275x295px) Image search: [Google]
1388891927976.jpg
32KB, 275x295px
>"The Anime Industry is Declining" says increasingly jaded has-been for the 70th time this year
>>
File: 1459286730724.jpg (86KB, 570x720px) Image search: [Google]
1459286730724.jpg
86KB, 570x720px
>>147095160
>>
>>147095070
>You have to pretend anime exists in an artistic vacuum to judge it properly

Nice one m8.
>>
He's right. That's why we don't have more WMTs.
>>
>>147095145
And yet, when everything is so obvious, a bunch of retards are denying the industry has been declining for a long time.
>>
>>147095160
Oh man you're saying that drinking water is bad for me? Thanks man I'll put that wisdom into practice.
>>
>>147095162
Isekai getting as popular as it has been proves him right more than ever before.
>>
>>147095197
I'm not saying you can't properly judge works that you watch. I'm saying that if he isn't familiar with anime and can't recognize famous works that seem right up his alley, then he clearly can't make any sort of reliable statements about the state of the industry now or in the past. No amount of artistic knowledge or taste will change this - you can't judge things you haven't seen, that's voodoo magic.
>>
>>147095239
It "declined" maybe somewhat in the 90s, it's been in a rise ever since.
>>
>>147091954
I think the same. This was the reason I stopped watching shonenshit, it was all so obnoxious. Doesnt mean I hate mechs , its just that why is one guy doing everything when literally anyone else could do it (note: self insertion is the problem here). Then I realized its made for kids and they like it that way.
So I now mostly just keep to cute girls doing badass things if want my action/mech fill
>>
>>147095252
What? Isekai has literally not been 2% of the anime output in any year this decade. It's popular in LNs/WNs, not in anime and manga.
>>
File: Desu.png (90KB, 282x224px) Image search: [Google]
Desu.png
90KB, 282x224px
>>147095243
If you want to boil it down into increasingly meaningless food analogies then it's more like eating steak well done and with ketchup.
>>
>>147095239
Just because the industry isn't pandering to you doesn't make it a decline.
>>
>>147095297
>So I now mostly just keep to cute girls doing badass things if want my action/mech fill

But it has the same fucking problem
>>
>>147095145
The industry changed because those things didn't make money, so few people are willing to fund them.

And selling toys to kids still makes money as well. Far more so than LNs.
>>
>>147091954
This is silly.

You would eliminate 99% of the stories where people accomplished something great in a vehicle.
>>
>>147095333
Miya-san said it, that means you're an otaku if you disagree.
>>
http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/2009/12/hayao-miyazakis-thoughts-on-pixar.html
>>
>>147095312
>eating steak well done and with ketchup
There is literally nothing wrong with this.
>>
>>147092936
There is no generic moe.
Its really hard to fail in creating interesting cgdct
>>
>anime is in decline
>anime and related product sales continue growing
>reaching wider audience than ever before
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>147095198
But WMT had tons of cute girls.
>>
>>147093548
>He found it too pessimistic and even expresses having felt disgust when he watched films like Mermaid (1964)
I wish I could hate him to death
>>
File: 1464614515642.jpg (13KB, 225x169px) Image search: [Google]
1464614515642.jpg
13KB, 225x169px
>>147091954
>essentially talking shit about initial D
>>
>>147095333
Yes, it's daft. I suppose he might mean that this way the protagonist has no real agency because he's just walking up and pushing a button on a machine someone else built. But that's not how those shows actually work at all.

I doubt he'd complain about a samurai story where the hero didn't forge his own sword.
>>
>>147095363
There is plenty of things wrong with that
>>
>>147095441
>Eurobeat is a symptom of the death of cultured society.
- Miyazaki Hayao
>>
>>147094792
Say that to my face
>>
>>147095458
Name five.
>>
>>147095239
Well the core issue is the decline in physical media sales.
It was never a big deal until VHS becoming big caused a boom. It was easy to make lots of money because everyone was buying into VHS and IPs were a veritable wild west where the more different things you could slap onto a tape and sell, the better. Everyone remembers anime being great from this era, when there was a lot of worth in investing in something you thought could be a big VHS-seller.

That declined for many reasons as technology moved forward, and now we're in an era where selling physical media is no longer a big way to make money. The anime industry lost a major income stream with the decline of physical media and still haven't recovered. The trends toward niche result from the inability to afford risks when you don't have as much money to throw around. The industry still hasn't found better ways to monetize or make their product appealing so it continues to struggle to make money outside of niche appeal.
>>
>>147095447
To be fair, the way he says "he should have to operate it himself" makes me sound like he might be thinking of Tetsujin, where it's remote controlled, and maybe there were others like that back then, but I still think it's silly. The MC is still doing things, it's just not the exact kind of righteous struggle that Miyazaki apparently demands.
>>
>>147094588
Let's post great shots from Evangelion.
>>
File: hey_nyoron.png (51KB, 262x251px) Image search: [Google]
hey_nyoron.png
51KB, 262x251px
>>147095333
I think the point of that is to make the robot more an extension of the character and their own humanity rather than just a literal vehicle for them to do things plot relevant in. Like instead of some kid just being the best robutt pilot ever because fuck you, instead he builds and maintains his own robot that puts him over the top of humanity, not because he got some literal deus ex machina, but because he was able to create and utilize something that was above and beyond anything that came before, so both the robutt and all that's achieved with it are a direct result of the character's unique accomplishments and insight.
>>
>>147095486
it tastes like shit
it's a waste of what could have been perfectly good meat
it tastes like shit
it's a waste of your tastebuds
it tastes like shit
>>
>>147095312
The point is that expecting any medium to carve out new shows or series that is 100% unique on the regular is fucking retarded. You're basically saying people have shit taste just because they have a favourite genre or cliche that they like.
>>
>>147095519
That sounds cool on paper and all, but when I'm actually watching the show I don't think I could possibly care less. Philosophical extrapolations like that don't really communicate themselves in the actual experience most of the time, and trying to shoehorn them in to stuff where they clearly aren't being brought up is a pet peeve of them.
>>
>>147094771
Infinite lifetimes
>>
>>147095579
>Philosophical extrapolations like that don't really communicate themselves in the actual experience most of the time
They actually do, this is why the phrase "literature" is a thing
>>
>>147088937
,>>147089093
Can we stop this same thread and instead talk about how the industry, from a financial standpoint, is on thin ice? It's true that the audience has gotten narrower and narrower, and that is far from a good thing. Both too few and too many viewers necessitate a restriction on creative freedom, but at least one of them gives the big bucks to allow for more creative failures.
Will we ever reach a future where buying anime doesn't cost a couple kidneys? I'm not sure why western animation is so much cheaper. Is it because of the lack of super-fans? I'm under the impression that, despite far fewer shows airing, a much smaller percentage get DVDs at all, and even fewer get proper releases (whole show by season instead of themed episode-collection
>>
>>147094792
t. sap jap
>>
>>147095239
>industry has been declining
How is industry declining when there are more anime now then ever before and no sign of decreasing?
>>
>>147095419
>anime and related product sales continue growing
Good joke. This is only partially true since studios are slowly beginning to notice global revenue streams and sort of take advantage of them occasionally.
>>
>>147095538
All of those are subjective.
>>
>>147095623
>QUALITY shots are examples of good shot composition

Evageeks continues to be retarded as usual.
>>
File: tumblr_o9sca4jRO51vw14dmo1_540.jpg (60KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o9sca4jRO51vw14dmo1_540.jpg
60KB, 540x405px
>>147095517
Sorry for the shit quality.
>>
>>147095643
>it's true but it's not true
again
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>147095657
Loss of detail from a far view isn't QUALITY. Learn your terminology.
>>
>>147095607
I said most of the time, nigger, and when they communicate themselves in written form they're often not extrapolations, or at least not to the same extent - they are made clearer by the phrasing chosen, if not actually highlighted/explained. Jumping into a show about a kid piloting a robot and getting annoyed because the fact that he didn't build it suggests a framework you aren't okay with is silly, and not at all the same as going and reading a work clearly centering on a theme. There are thousands of these potential "insights" in every story, it's a dumb pastime to try and seize on them when they aren't deliberate.
>>
>>147095568
>You're basically saying people have shit taste just because they have a favourite genre or cliche that they like
In this instance the entire format of the show would be dozens of little cliches wrapped up in 1 big cliche.
>>
File: tumblr_oca2fd0p9P1r7k51co1_500.png (177KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oca2fd0p9P1r7k51co1_500.png
177KB, 500x378px
>>147095658
>>
>>147095321
Nope, theyre actually very well written.
See GuP, Strike Witches, and Ange Vierge this season for example
>>
>>147093464
Would be really interested in seeing the data behind this. Real question, what metrics support this?
>>
>>147095685
Not him, and I'm no expert on draw distance, but I feel like Asuka's mouth should at least be more distinct at that range. It does look jarring to me, not that that really has anything to do with shot composition.
>>
>>147095519
Sounds like a trip to Garry Stusville to me. Why would a brilliant pilot have to be a brilliant engineer as well? Again, the samurai doesn't forge his own sword and his acomplishments are no less legitimate for that.

I also disagree with the principle, but that's a different issue.
>>
>>147095611
If the industry is really on financial thin ice, why are they producing more and more anime? Basic microeconomics states that the more profitable something is, the more you produce.
>>
>>147095611
Western TV cartoons are paid for by the TV networks, unlike late-night anime where it is supported by a group of investors who pay for the time slot.
>>
>>147095752
Maybe. I'm not an expert, either, but it's my guess that the line of her mouth would look thick and blobby from such a distance. Regardless, it's as you said: that her facial features aren't distinct doesn't affect the composition of the shot.
>>
>>147095711
And what's wrong with that?
>>
File: 54d43127da477_-_discostu2.jpg (31KB, 620x310px) Image search: [Google]
54d43127da477_-_discostu2.jpg
31KB, 620x310px
>>147095677
It's only true if you ignore the crippling crash in 2008 that the surviving studios only recently recovered from.
>>
>>147095611
>Will we ever reach a future where buying anime doesn't cost a couple kidneys? I'm not sure why western animation is so much cheaper.
Western animation has a different model to begin with and is much more focused on mainstream family stuff. Also, it never had the whole rental situation that lead to high anime prices - basically, there was higher demand than expected for anime on home media, and once the initial run ran out people would buy the rental store's copies at inflated prices instead, and it turned out that these higher prices still had enough demand that sales at that standard would actually have been more profitable than selling at the normal prices, so studios made the obvious decision to switch to that. I'm not quite sure why it hasn't fallen back down ever due to competition, but I think it might be because the fixation of fans on specific anime dulls competition - they want a specific anime, not just "an anime," so they'd rather buy that anime at a higher price than another company's other anime at a lower one.
>>
>>147095421
It's cute in a good way.
>>
File: Picco-WAHA.jpg (83KB, 600x511px) Image search: [Google]
Picco-WAHA.jpg
83KB, 600x511px
>>147095761
>How can you learn to build this amazing and complex robot to these exact specifications AND know how to use it??
>Checkmate

Where is my "kill people posting on 4chan" button
>>
>>147095843
>sales continue growing
>that's only true if you're talking about the last eight years
I mean, you do have a point, but he's still not wrong. Sales have been stable and/or growing since 2009/10, and it's not like the 2008 crash had anything to do with the industry specifically.
>>
>>147095611
It's a different business model.
In the west, television stations sell timespace for ads to make most of their money and pay to air things to get people to watch their channel so people see the adds. The more people are watching at a particular time block, the more valuable the adspace is and the more money can be made. Western production companies, both live-action and animation-focused, can meet their bottom line just through partnerships with television stations who pay them to make things to show.

This is also why the western animation industry crashed and burned so hard. Stations aren't interested in paying to air niche things.

In Japan, things are a little different and most anime studios pay to have their shows run on a channel, because the show itself is functionally a 24-minute informercial for bluerays, franchise tie-ins and etc. That means they rely heavily on external funding from parties interested in monetizing their show, and have to rely on other income streams to recoup production expenses and turn a profit.
>>
File: 1472096313120.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1472096313120.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>147095519
That kind of isolates him in an unrealistic way.

Making something complex and operating it are completely different disciplines. That's why Jiro didn't fly his planes.

It's nice when you have a mechanic, an instructor and a pilot because it becomes a team effort, that's ultimately more human and relatable.
>>
>>147095844
I have a bunch more I could post, but I'm pretty tired. Just wanted to highlight some of the great visual direction here.
>>
>>147095882
He didn't say "how," he said "why?" Piloting and fighting with a mecha is its own skill, you aren't somehow coasting on someone else's power just because you didn't make your weapon yourself.
>>
>>147095882
"Know how to use it" is not really the same as "be good at using it". Do you suppose every aeronautics engineer is a pilot?
>>
>>147095747
Me looking at seasonal anime lists
>>
>>147090645
Alan Moore
It's not the audience job to tell the artist what they want. If they knew what they wanted, they'd be the artist wouldn't they?
>>
File: 1372642176288.png (137KB, 465x996px) Image search: [Google]
1372642176288.png
137KB, 465x996px
A lot of anime is really bad and unoriginal, but people watch them anyway since they have nothing but free time on their hands and not much better to do.

God forbid these people be out reproducing instead, so really you should be thanking anime.
>>
>>147095676
for a sec I thought that was Asuka in her plug suit bending down with her hands on her hips. . .
>>
>>147096065
Nice projecting bro.
>>
>>147090645
I think it's referring to narrow tastes between the two, not that the consumers want the same things the creators want to make. Expanding and evolving taste helps a person grow.
>>
>>147096142
>I think it's referring to narrow tastes between the two, not that the consumers want the same things the creators want to make.
I'm pretty sure he's saying both, but only complaining about the former.
>>
File: 1388629936527.jpg (79KB, 433x551px) Image search: [Google]
1388629936527.jpg
79KB, 433x551px
>>147096083
Is someone actually defending subhuman Japanese otaku?

I know /a/ is basically 2chan-lite now, but surely people still have some self awareness left
>>
you can bet the numales are going to parade around with those guys to "change" anime "for better"

the fad of original anime is over. we're back to making adaptations, for better or worse.
>>
>>147096192
>Is someone actually defending subhuman Japanese otaku?

They're the ones actually funding anime, so damn right we're going to defend them. Normalfags wouldn't give a cent.
>>
File: 37354157.png (611KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
37354157.png
611KB, 600x600px
>>147096213
Some of my favorite chinese cartoons were funded by normalfags though.
>>
>>147096192
You didn't say Japanese otaku in that first post.

But what's wrong with spending your free time on anime? That's why we're all here.
>>
>>147096196
Good original animes are all cancer.
>>
>>147096196
There's more than enough original anime coming out the Fall season, there are some adaptations with complete anime original plot, and there's some adaptations that stick and are true to the source material.
>>
>>147096213
Maybe if you didn't like the garbage they like you wouldn't think so highly of them ruining anime with their shit taste votes in BD sales for awful shows.
>>
>>147096275
>ruining
Nigger, if they didn't buy it'd just collapse.
>>
>>147096053
The difference here is that the audience and artist want the same thing anyways.
>>
>>147096294
Don't be entirely sure. it would shrink but some studios would try to endure and cater to the mythical "normalfag" and might succeed.
>>
>>147096343
space dandy proved you can't do this
>>
>>147096294
Or... or... those studio starts looking for new demographics to pander to
>>
>>147094849
>hasn't grown up mentally one bit in 22 years

this is sad
>>
>>147096368
Wasn't that a smashing success?
>>
>>147096271
>There's more than enough original anime coming out the Fall season
And all of them seem more pandering than your average source adaptation is.
>>
Kinda funny that he complained about how hard he found it to gather funds for ambitious projects on this millennium yet he made most of his works just recently.
>>
>>147096377
It's just media, dude.

People can get their growing outside of the cartoons they prefer.
>>
>>147096368
I'm a comparative normalfag in anime taste and didn't like it. They're doing it wrong. Space Dandy is too comedic.
>>
>>147096387
The late-night anime industry is made by otaku for otaku.
Also, diverse taste and stuff.
>>
>>147096370
That's not how it works.
>>
>>147096368
Space Dandy does try to pander to the western audience a little, but it's far from "normalfag" pandering.
>>
>>147096263
unironically kill yourself
>>
>>147096379
It was popular but not a financial success.
>>
>>147092222
Shit taste, please go away.
>>
>>147096379
in the west maybe. it completely flopped in japan, and given how much money japan actually gets from the west they might have earned nothing as well

>>147096420
my main gripe with Space Dancy is that it was way too creative for it's own good. it lost it's identity after first cour, between all those surreal and completely random settings. the show became about nothing, with episodes held together with Dandy, cat, robot guy and le monkey villain
>>
>>147096513
>le monkey villain
post invalidated. try again.
>>
File: 1403807339094.jpg (72KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1403807339094.jpg
72KB, 300x300px
>>147089093
How can one man have so much disdain for fighting robots.
>>
>>147095519
>>147091954

It's because he doesn't like people doing things they didn't create with their own two hands. He has this feeling of "you didn't earn it"
>>
>>147096420
>normalfag
Don't come to /a/
>>
>>147096343
> cater to the mythical "normalfag"
Studios already do this. That's called daytime anime.
>>
File: let me play with it.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
let me play with it.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>Hayao "I'll burn your daki" Miyazaki
>>
>>147095519

It's not that, it's that he's a communist. And I don't mean that in terms of an insult, I mean he's a literal, bona-fide communist. The workers should not only control the means of produciton in his eyes, but they should be revered in society for that fact. Someone who cannot create things, being able to do great things, is insulting to him.

Rewatch his films, all of the lead characters know or learn how to make something, even if it's something small and insignificant.
>>
>>147096836
why does Anno always wear such comfy clothes
>>
File: 1473393206350.png (193KB, 1024x847px) Image search: [Google]
1473393206350.png
193KB, 1024x847px
>>147088937
this kills the industry
>>
File: 1471610067982.jpg (77KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
1471610067982.jpg
77KB, 384x384px
>>147096836
anno is a fucking monkey, those ears
>>
>>147096836
I thought I had big ears but damn Anno.
>>
>>147096730
At least he is one slight step above those who call themselves normie.
>>
>>147096623
Does Miyazaki dislike Godzilla too
>>
>>147096964
He browses /fa/. That's why he makes so much Eva clothing.
>>
>>147096836
>people take this autist's word for gold
>>
>>147097036
When will mebae make his own anime and save the industry?
>>
At this point, I'm just looking for anime with pretty interesting and different enough settings regardless of how they execute their plot. One of the many reason I found Joker Game to be interesting. I don't find many series telling stories of spies and espionage based on with the backdrop of our own history out there. I don't give a shit if it's fujobait or boring.
>>
>>147097249
>I don't give a shit if it's boring
How does this even work? If you really dislike most anime so much that you'll watch stuff that outright bores you, just fucking try something that isn't anime. There are like ten million spy movies, the things you want aren't hard to find.
>>
>>147097094
To detect the faint screams of otaku across mountains and oceans.
>>
>>147096377
Why are you projecting on that Anon? People can't enjoy their hobbies forever just because you don't like his choice of cartoons? The fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>147089093

funny because 0 of those directors have any actual ANIME under their belts

its all "anime" movies. Which is to say, totally fucking different from a 12 hour / 6 hour television series.

The reason why Watanabe speaks the truth is because hes actually done it. Christ, the last anime I can think of that actually had any balls was Michiko to Hatchin, and even then they had to shoehorn in a loli to get viewers.
>>
>>147090645

????????

what a stupid fucking opinion. You're an idiot.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses"
>>
>>147091141

[citation needed]
>>
File: 1409810105822.gif (165KB, 597x630px) Image search: [Google]
1409810105822.gif
165KB, 597x630px
>Osomatsu sold 100k.
>no cute girls.

Fuck off with this garbage that you need to create "moe" and "cute girls" to have a successful show.

Also who can trust Wantanabe any more after Zankyou no Terror even though I enjoyed quite a few moments in it.

It's the same shit from all of them
>The industry is dying
>Everyone is just catering to the moe cute girl otakus.
Fuck off.
>>
>>147096790
Not all normalfags are kids

>>147096730
Where else would I discuss Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill?
>>
>>147097574
>Kon
>Anno
>Miyazaki
>none of them have directed television series
Are you fucking retarded? They all have.
>>
>>147090685
>>147091954
>>147092014
>>147095297
>>147095333
>>147095441
He did say this in 1979 which doesn't apply to most mecha anime /a/ has seen
>>
>>147097694
>Not all normalfags are kids
Adults still watch One Piece and Sazae-san and shit. Those are the most mainstream anime. And most of the non-all-ages stuff that could be mainstream gets adapted to doramas instead, because that kind of material simply gets them better profits as live-action than it would as anime.
>>
>>147093976

Except the 90s and 80s literally WERE the heyday of anime.

Large economic windfalls = more entertainment industry = more gambles on creative projects. Sure, you still had the safe bet kind of creations in the 90s, but you cannot say that there werent as many landmark shows then compared to now.

Even attempting to argue that isnt the case shows a biased opinion. It is a FACT that anime produced in the mid to late 90s - early 2000's have had a worldwide impact on the perception of the industry.
>>
>>147097760
>Adults still watch One Piece and Sazae-san and shit.
Then they aren't normalfags
>>
>>147097839
You have done it! You have defeated the naysayers who say their current niche garbage trumps the anime of the 90s and early 00s.

Until they can come back with a snappier answer anyway.
>>
>it's a solfags get angry episode
>>
>>147097574
>Anno
>no anime series under his belt
This is so dumb that I can't even be sure it's bait.

>>147097844
Yes, they are. They have no interest in anime overall, probably don't watch anything else, and it's not regarded as unusual. They sure aren't otaku, and that means they're normalfags.

Also, you seem to think Sazae-san is a kids' show, and in that case you don't know what you're talking abuot in the slightest and shouldn't even be having this argument.
>>
>>147097839
Provide evidence for those FACTs of yours.
>>
>>147097839
> It is a FACT that anime produced in the mid to late 90s - early 2000's have had a worldwide impact on the perception of the industry.
Complete non sequitur, the discussion is about quality.
>>
>>147097839
>>147097883
The only difference between the 90s and today is volume of anime. Today there are more shows being made, so it seems like there's more shit being made. There were just as many bad shows produced in the 90s. The only people who nostalgia-fag over anime from the 90s are people who didn't live through them as anime fans and have only watched the best of what the decade had to offer for anime.
>>
>>147097976
> people who didn't live through them as anime fans
I'd just like to add that even the people who were around back then didn't get most of the random bullshit, because it wasn't big enough to wind up in their local video store, if it even got subbed to begin with.
>>
>>147097976
What if I watch shit ovas from the 90s and nostalgiafag over them but still rate them 5-6/10 and yet don't rate anything modern 9-10/10?
>>
>>147097678
Well, it was well directed. The problem was the premise turned out to be retarded and nine (or whoever the afro chick was) was a terrible character. But yeah, it's definitely a black mark on his name.
>>
>>147097760
I like dramas, but this truth hurts.
>>
>>147097895
>They sure aren't otaku, and that means they're normalfags.
You think there are only two kinds of people?

>Also, you seem to think Sazae-san is a kids' show
It's one of the only acceptable animu to adults, you can't shield the fact that 95% of the stuff on during the day is for kids just by it existing.
>>
>>147097678
they could've instead try to make something geared for modern anime industry instead of whining that people got bored of old dog's tricks

but it's way better than john carmack jumping around pretending to be enjoying playing minecraft in VR, desperatedly trying to be still revelant
>>
>>147098067
>>147097760
There's some things you can't do with dramas on a cheap budget that you can do with animu on the same budget.
>>
>>147097839
>worldwide impact
>Implying anywhere but Japan matters
As in all other areas, only manga does a good job in this. "Perception" hardly matters compared to "money", and it is literal cultural ignorance to say that the 90s were the most important just because they were important for exporting to where you live, not because of any industry change.
>>
>>147097921

evangelion
DBZ
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Yu-gi-oh!
Death Note
Trigun
Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Pokemon

Getting into the lesser known niche stuff

Big O
Patlabor
Gunsmith Cats
Baccano!
Hidamari Sketch
Hellsing
Black Lagoon
SZS
Serial Experiments Lain
Haruhi
Techonolyxe
Haibane Renmei
Macross series (Frontier, 7, etc)
Rozen Maiden (Ok, not really that good, but still emblematic)

All of these shows in the top tier are well known to most people, at least people who watched Adult Swim.

Those on the lower spectrum are generally regarded as watermarks in the western fandom for being generally regarded as universally good.

Compare to, say

Yuru Yuri?
Strike Witches?
Girls und Panzer?

The closest thing I can think of is maybe Madoka or Bakemonogatari, which really arent "cute girls do cute things" but still regarded as generally good.

Theres a reason most people regard The Sopranos or The Wire as good television, because a large audience watched it and regarded as good. I cannot say a majority of "anime fans" would regard the samey, cute girls doing cute things trope as particularly groundbreaking or even exciting

This is coming from a religious watcher of Hidamari Sketch. I know my cute girls doing cute things, but I also know when an industry is stagnating and collapsing under its own rotten weight because im not a sub-40 IQ mongoloid who shuts his brain off and watches the Japanese equivalent of marvel movies
>>
>>147098055
>nine (or whoever the afro chick was) was a terrible character.
Why did this character trigger everyone on /a/ simultaneously? I constantly see her mentioned as the most awful character ever
>>
>>147098141
Half of those are from before or after the 90s.
>Haruhi
>Niche
>>
>>147095829

The fact that what you enjoy is vapid, soulless exploitation? That the creator knows youre just not bright enough to comprehend unique themes different from the drivel youve been consuming for the past three quarter decades? Christ, anon, grow some fucking self esteem. Or a brain.
>>
>>147098144
>I constantly see her mentioned as the most awful character ever
I wouldn't go that far, but her introduction was right around when the show made it clear what it was trying to be. I guess it wasn't really her fault (though she definitely was annoying so it's easy to blame her) but she was the point where a lot of people (including me) dropped the show.
>>
>>147095419

>hollywood industry is in decline
>hollywood industry makes more money than ever before due to globalization (more consumers who havent seen your product before)
>seasoned veterans of said industry say that industry is collapsing under its own weight of derivative, shallow repetitive movies and will soon implode once people move on from the fad

hmmm its almost fucking like something like economic bubbles exist....theres no possible way this way of making money can somehow be wrong and actually not based on sound theory!
>>
>>147097758
We all know exactly which anime he's talking about
>>
File: 1472975349300.png (399KB, 600x347px) Image search: [Google]
1472975349300.png
399KB, 600x347px
Okay we settle this shit once and for all.

Is what Watanabe said True or False?
>>
>tyring to make money from bds and merch

You can get a lot more money if you use the internet properly with subscriptions and adds.
>>
>>147098203
tip
>>
File: 1471624786141.jpg (312KB, 655x423px) Image search: [Google]
1471624786141.jpg
312KB, 655x423px
hah its not DECLINEING IT IS FUCKING DEAD MOTHERFUCERS YOU WILL NEVER SEE DECENT ANIME IN YOUR PATHETIC LIFE SPANS THIS TECH IS LOCKED AWAY FROM EARTH.
>>
Why haven't they taken advantage of streaming?
>>
Moeshit only became a problem after kon. Nobody hated haruhi or ls
>>
>>147098335
True until 2013 but moe has been headed downwards for awhile now. The problem now is that the manga and LNs being adapted are vapid trash for the most part because vapid trash sells.
>>
>>147098369
You're a fucking idiot, as is evident from your spelling.
>>
>>147098131

If japanese businesses werent constrained by the retarded nature of their internal logic and governmental inability to regulate, yes, worldwide consumer perception would be an issue. Sadly it isnt, which is why 80% of anime now is geared towards either 1. Highschoolers that read LN's or 2. Greasy NEET fucks who just want their cute 14 year olds
>>
>>147098447
I hated all three.
>>
>>147098276
>theres no possible way this way of making money can somehow be wrong and actually not based on sound theory
you know if you're trying to make a point you should really try to use sentences that make sense
>>
>>147098390
Because they already get anime on OTA broadcast and satellite TV. Why would Japanese consumers stream it?
>>
>>147098492
What he said made sense to me. He's arguing that bubbles are demonic and lead to long term problems.
>>
>>147097976

Its a fact that less was produced. Nobody is contesting there WASNT drivel in the 90s and early 2000's, or even in the 80's. 98% of everything is crap. Books, movies, whatever.

The issue is you havent had a single gusher that has propelled and defined the industry since maybe Bakemono / Madoka, and even then its nowhere close to getting MORE consumers into the industry.
>>
>>147098496
Because they don't fucking have OTA broadcasts and Satelite TV on trains or out in the world.

The first company to fully exploit the mobile generation is the first to win.
>>
>>147098496
Cut the cable bro. Down with the 100 dollar cable bills!

Also they don't have to stay up til 2am to watch it
>>
File: 1400671691308.jpg (39KB, 455x500px) Image search: [Google]
1400671691308.jpg
39KB, 455x500px
>>
It's the same with TV, movies, cartoons, comics, games, and music. It doesn't matter what the time period is or anything, good shit will still be made no matter what. Good games still come out despite when people say that better games were made in the past and that games of the present suck. Same with music, good music still comes out despite when people say it was better in the past. Things haven't changed then and they still won't change now. Good shit is good shit no matter what and I'm happy it exists.
>>
>>147098492

are you a non native speaker or some shit retard

what they said makes perfect sense, theyre saying bubbles result from improper ways of managing business, even if they make money in the short run
>>
>>147088937
says the guy who made such a shitty anime
>>
>>147098521
how is there a bubble in the anime industry though?
we haven't even begun to see the potential of it in western countries
>>
>>147098537
Videogames haven't had a single gusher that has propellend and defined the industry since 10 years ago, besides HD remakes of W3 mod and anime team fortress

I don't expect disney tier masterworks, just some above average fun shows to pick from each season
>>
>>147098546
Japs try to hide their power level, they're not gonna be streaming some shit show on their flip phone on the train.

DVR is also a thing that Japs have.
>>
Miyazaki is the /v/ of anime
He hates everything
>>
>>147098614
Too many shows, not enough butts in the seats
>>
>>147098546
But that is wrong you fuck. Japanese cell phone models receive OTA broadcasts.
>>
>>147095764

???
thats a massive fallacy anon, cmon man use your brain
Theres 10 people in my village. I bake 5 pies and sell it to them for $2 a pop.

Okay, now my village has 100 people. I bake 50 pies, and sell them for $20 a pop.

See how it works?
>>
>>147092411
Exactly. So impotent western leechfags need to start buying or shut up.
>>
>>147093638
Fuck you Popeye was made by the Jews

Based Miyazaki spreading the redpill
>>
>>147098615

And why do you think the videogame industry in on the exact same decline as "CoD clone #2303" or "Open world GTA clone #2010"?

You do realize its a bad sign when a majority of revenue for a certain industry is geared towards ADVERTISING AND MARKETING THE PRODUCT rather than producing it? Now you tell ME why thats a bad thing
>>
popeye was amazing, better than most anime for sure
>>
Even though I hate cutesy, meaningless garbage and ecchi swill it just seems like old artists who don't like change and are mad they're not in the limelight/think they're the pinnacle and everyone should follow.
"Giant robots!? Ugh! How distasteful! "-myazaki/kon
"Nobody wants my crummy ideas!?, it's entirely the industry's fault."-wantanabe
>>
>>147094873

This makes a lot of sense. Especially in RE: Zero
>>
>>147098614

how isnt there? Jesus christ, are you retarded?

Compare the amount of anime being made now to cater to a specific audience in lieu of the potential audience. How many of these shows turn a profit? How many studios make projects that forecast well into the long term?

If every producer made the same product with the same quality at the same price, does that sound productive to you? How long would such a market last without genuine competition, anon?
>>
>>147095016

>anything I disagree with is /pol/, regardless of how far of a stretch it may be

Wait since when does tumblr come here?
>>
>>147095517
I'm fairly certain this isn't right
>>
>>147098693

why in the fuck would I buy a japanese dvd and not only pay for the incredibly disgusting inflated prices of such products, but also pay customs and duty fees on top?

use your fucking brain idiot. The non-japanese consumer has no recourse to decide the fate of the industry because they arent SELLING to the non-japanese consumer.
>>
>>147088937
>>147089093
Everybody on /a/ should be aware at this point that 95% of anime was always shit. These dudes are / were (in Kon's case) just old assholes with low T who had some kind of expectation that anime should be high art. Well, anime, by and large, is staunchly consumerist pop art. We're lucky they felt this way, because this mindset brought us some of the greatest work in the field. But it's also idealistic and naive.

Was it easier to take risks in the nineties? Probably. Did that mean it was better? Well, it depends on how you look at it. It's a really complicated question. You could argue that it was more varied, that experimentation allowed tons of different types of stories to be told. I would counter that 95% of those were still shit, they were just novel shit. Whereas now if a studio wants to produce an original, or take some big risk, they have to cut their teeth adapting shit, prove their fundamental ability, plan and save for years, then blow as much budget as they can producing the best possible product they can. Most of the time it's still shit, but at least it's more likely to have been refined.

Personally I think the current state of anime production has some unique charm to it. I mean, I wish animators got paid enough to survive, but there's something to be said for the down market. It rewards innovation in other areas, like business strategy. Just look at Kyoani. Regardless of what you think of their product, they're innovating in tons of successful ways which afford them much greater freedom. Adversity breeds greatness. Star Wars wouldn't have been great if it had had a hundred-million dollar budget, etc.

Plus the way the market has worked for the last couple decades is that there's some fad, everybody drives it into the ground, then they parody it, deconstruct it, and shove it so far up its own ass that nobody can stand it anymore. Then they wait around for the next thing to come along. I think that's kinda cool.
>>
>>147098767
remove your nostalgia glasses.
popeye was mediocrre.
>>
>>147098745
bruh do you realize most of anime is basically advertising and marketing of the product?

vidyagames problem is actually the exact opposite of anime problem - too many people are throwing money at this shit, but the result is the same. people just making stuff that makes money. but at the same time you can't force people to buy shit you like. so you bite you lips and enjoy those dime a dozen fun niche videogames and rare comfy anime
>>
>>147098859
It was creative, had nice animation and funny characters
It was at least above average
>>
>>147098845
The reflection definitely makes no sense, if that's what you're saying.
>>
Anime will never die. There are far too many passionate individuals who would continue the work regardless of financial viability, which in turn inspired the next generation to do the same.

You're kidding yourself if you think we're ever getting off this ride.
>>
>>147098683
This really
>>
>>147098656
>>147098806
bubble is not a temporary increase in supply
might as well call anything a bubble then, since the term doesn't mean anything any more
somehow I don't see all the otakus retreating out of the anime market because they suddenly realize it was a mistake
>>
>>147098880
It was Jewish too

No wonder based Miyazaki despises it

Disney too, Miyazaki hates it and its Jewish

No wonder Miyazaki hates all the anime, because it is mass produced by the Jews with a similar intent to that one retarded /pol/ comic

Miyazaki is a based redpiller and Japanese patriot
>>
>>147098860
How sad everything's a manga ad
>>
>>147096838
Sounds pretty legit, but it's also true that Miyazaki grew disenfranchised with Marxism as time went on. This was in the 70s, and the Nausicaa manga was published 84-94, by the end he had came to the conclusion that Communism simply couldn't work out.
>>
>>147098859
I know you're memeing, but Popeye was a solid 7. Wasn't as great as Fleisher's Talkartoons, but definitely a good series.
>>
>>147098860

No? Its actually the exact same problem

both industries produce shitty, derivative soulless works expressly for the purpose of selling a product and making a profit, as opposed to having actual artistic impact on the medium
>>
>>147098938
You will see anime financiers retreat though
>>
>>147098945
Seriously laughing at you for calling a leftist, feminist shitbag like Miyazaki """redpilled""". Fuck off back to plebbit before you use terms that you don't understand.
>>
>>147098998
that's still not a bubble, even if your wild guess were true
>>
>>147099018
Enjoy your Popeye good goy

Miyazaki is a BASED redpilled PRO-JAPANESE LIBERTARIAN

AND NO, ADMITTING WAR CRIMES IS NOT ANTI-JAPANESE
>>
File: 1400506859828.png (173KB, 396x382px) Image search: [Google]
1400506859828.png
173KB, 396x382px
>>147099059
>redpilled
>LIBERTARIAN
>>
>>147098938

???

the industry is not a temporary increase in supply, those two connotations are completely different and separate concepts

Ok, follow me here, I'm going to use a relatively easy example we all know about.

American housing market, 2008. Hey, this current trend of home ownership might be something we can make money off of! People getting houses they dont have the means to pay for. Production rises. Woops! All those houses we invested in actually have 0 profit margin. Oh shit, we're fucked!

Japanese anime market: Hey, this current cute girl trend makes us money. We have a stable revenue stream of clammy NEETs buying our cute girls product! Oh fuck, make more!

Wait, what do you mean they'll get sick of it? Oh shit, wait, other consumers arent buying the product too? You mean everything we invested in in actuality has 0 profit margin? Oh shit, we're fucked!
>>
>>147099107
He is a REDPILLED LIBERTARIAN

Why don't you fuck off stupid goy, go back to watching that KyoAni shit that kills your brain cells
>>
>>147098660
OTA vs anytime and anything they want streaming.
>>
>>147088937
>Back in the 70s and 80s, animated shows were made for a much wider general public
He is braindead retarded. Never had anime larger exposure than now.

Pretty much everything else he said is crap too.
>>
>>147095145
>Anime is a bad investment because it's too niche of a market and it's been trending down towards increasingly nichedom for a very long time.
Meanwhile, in Japan.
>>
>>147099112
you're making it sound like none of the moeshit is making money which is blatantly false
also you're making it seem like the otakus buying stuff are doing so beyond their means
also financial crisis isn't comparable to trends in the anime industry in the slightest
also assets such as housing are very different from business ventures

watching the big short doesn't make you understand economics
>>
>>147099155
> falling to brain cells meme
Sasuga.
>>
>>147097574
holy shit what the fuck are you smoking
>>
>>147089093
>The hallmark of Japanese animation became works with a great deal of pretension, where vaporous and extremely deformed characters inhabited distorted and flashily colorized worlds.
funny, this describes ghibli movies perfectly
>>
>>147099336
>dude weed lmao
am I right goy?
>>
>>147097678
protip: it reached a wider audience than the male hardcore otaku
>>
>>147099316

I realize that you fucking dolt

I have a degree in finance. I've written paper based on the financial crisis. I understand the disparity between the two

The point being, no, moeshit DOESNT make money. You do realize that the potential long-term earnings based on a worldwide, diversified market are vastly fucking superior to a gamble of "Well, the small domestic market likes this, so lets just pray tastes dont change and we're all out of a job"

You do understand that your business can still fail in the long term whilst making a short-term profit, right? Tell me youre not that retarded.
>>
>>147099473
a single business failing is not a bubble
congrats on that degree at retard university though, I'm sure you worked hard to get it
>>
>confirms the anime industry is declining

Any normal person knows that, but this board is full of insecure otaku with asperger syndrom, .
>>
>>147099594
>asperger syndrom, .
Wanna try again faggot?
>>
Guys Miyazaki is right

Just look at what Tite Kubo did to Bleach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyWSiBms6N8

We're made to believe that Ichigo and Rukia have something special going on

Then in the last chapter he makes, with no prior development, Renji end up with Rukia and Ichigo with Orihime.

Yeah I know Bleach technically isn't an anime, at least the finished product, but I think this is the kind of stupid shit Miyazaki was talking about

And it's only going to get worse from Bleach
>>
>>147094363
>anime can only be realized by DEEP, COMPLEX THEMES
>not love stories, not adventure tales, let alone comedy
>just DEEP, COMPLEX THEMES
Nice argument, dipshit.
You sure showed us with your cunning intellect
>>
>>147099473
Nope, your business will never fail if you continue making short-term profit. Concrete earnings are not a gamble. Only "potential" earnings are.

When the tastes change, you change with them. And you sure as hell do not understand what "diversification" means, because it means appealing to niches.
>>
>>147099515

No, its multiple businesses in the same market making the same decision and all failing. Kind of like what's happening now in the anime industry.

And yes I did, thankfully I'm reaping the benefits of my hard work.
>>
>>147088937
>Because of that, companies have become increasingly conservative and only venture to make shows that would ensure sales such as moe titles. That has been the issue since around the millennium. Around that time, I myself had a lot of experimental or adventurous titles that I pitched and pretty much all of them went on hiatus. Basically when I tossed the pitch to companies, the first question back would be, 'so, where’s the pretty girl?'"

MOE IS THE ULTIMATE CANCER CONFIRMED

MOE FAGS PLEASE COMMIT SUICIDE
>>
>>147099771
Don't bother trying to reason with anybody who thinks Eva was "subtle and complex."
>>
File: 280px-Saeko[1].jpg (13KB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
280px-Saeko[1].jpg
13KB, 280x210px
>>147092552
>These fags prefer these waifus over the 80s waifus.
>>
>>147099901
>It is everyone else's fault that Wantanabe is an irrelevant has-been!

Moe is out of control, but Wantanabe is acting like a whiny bitch.
>>
File: anime critics.jpg (50KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
anime critics.jpg
50KB, 800x450px
>>147088937
>>
File: 1364875949415.png (910KB, 1472x2627px) Image search: [Google]
1364875949415.png
910KB, 1472x2627px
How can pre-2000s anime be so great if Kyoani didn't exist?
>>
>>147088937
>Basically when I tossed the pitch to companies, the first question back would be, 'so, where’s the pretty girl?'"
Alright, that's actually kinda funny and I can 100% believe that actually happens
>>
>>147098739
Fuck you Popeye based character
>>
>>147100403
Moefags are the equivalent of capeshit eaters
>>
>>147100403
Sheesh, I forgot how QUALITY K-On was.
>>
You know you can learn pretty interesting stuff about the industry from this thread if you willing to skim through the rest of the garbage
>>
>>147100853
You learn a lot in life just by being able to skim through garbage.
>>
>>147101195
not really, skim in the garbage long enough and you begun to think that the garbage become the new standard
>>
File: 1473368866057.jpg (99KB, 659x659px) Image search: [Google]
1473368866057.jpg
99KB, 659x659px
>>147101323
>skim in the garbage long enough and you get accustomed to garbage
>when you look at the abyss, the abyss also looks at you
>>
As the old guard that lived through the bubble as an adult began to get replaced one by one they bitch and moan, of course.
>>
>>147100853
No, you'd get a better understanding reading ejcjs publications and/or industry experts' opinions on twitter rather than a bunch of anons on the internet.
>>
>>147092222
>Samurai Champloo has many shit
I'm not even going to get into how wrong the rest of this post is, that's just not true
>>
File: nobody understands.jpg (358KB, 750x1150px) Image search: [Google]
nobody understands.jpg
358KB, 750x1150px
So it's another one of those threads?
>>
File: GITS.webm (3MB, 893x480px) Image search: [Google]
GITS.webm
3MB, 893x480px
>>147088937
He should just accept quality won't go up again.
>>
>>147092591
really makes you think
>>
>>147097758
it can basically be applied to every single mecha anime ever
>>
>>147104317
based
>>
File: Memories 2.webm (3MB, 850x460px) Image search: [Google]
Memories 2.webm
3MB, 850x460px
>>147104317
What did the puppet master meant by becoming one?
>>
Reminder that space dandy sucks
>>
>Anime industry is decaying
This is the same with every form of media, over saturation is a bitch.
>>
>>147100682
Not really
Cgdct is the opposite of mainstream, and normalfags and plebs(like you) hate it
>>
>>147105288
Kinda proves that we're in a golden age, since there's so much of it, we can afford to shit upon most instead of having to hungrily gobble up anything because there ain't enough of it around.

Viva globalization.
>>
How often did all those "classics" come out? Weren't they years apart, so isn't it the same now but with more shit shows in between.
>>
>>147106126
Since Kon`s death there were no good movies on par with classics though. Not even Miyazaki`s and Anno`s themselves.

The best we had was Redline and it is years ago already.
>>
>>147106188
Takeshi Koike will give us a new masterpiece in 2017
>http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-09/lupin-iii-gets-new-theatrical-anime-centering-on-goemon-on-february-4/.106279
>>
>>147097976
What character archetype was introduced in the last 5 years that is now just a completely understood cultural thing ala the masked antagonist?
>>
>>147106382
When was the last time a full length Lupin movie came out?
>>
>>147106188
Keit-ai came out just a few weeks ago.
>>
>>147106450
Its shit that looks barely better than Anthem of the Heart.
>>
>>147106126
There's not been anything in the last few years at all.

There's been some slow pushing forwards but as far as TV anime goes nothing has really rocked the boat. It should be telling that something that is really pretty bog standard was hailed as revolutionary just a few years ago.

No one fights commercial interest for artistic integrity anymore. Tomino was right.
>>
>>147106542
You realise it could just be them not being able to come up with a decent idea rather than them just not bring funded. All the anime original shit that we have managed to get lately are awful shit.
>>
>>147106542
>There's been some slow pushing forwards but as far as TV anime goes nothing has really rocked the boat. It should be telling that something that is really pretty bog standard was hailed as revolutionary just a few years ago.
TV anime is actually a lot more diverse, imaginative and taking risks, not to mention better animated and looking than in any era before (though this specific season is meh). Its the movies that are lacking.

See:

>1991 (mostly kids/teen anime)
Maison Ikkoku - set a trope for the whole "MC suddenly has to live in dormitory with many girls" harem trope (mostly prevalent in VNs than anime though) and defined standard romance formula for the generations of future harem shows.

Urusei Yatsura - defined dozens of ecchi/harem trops used still now, and still present in current day in glorious form of ToLove-Ru

Ranma 1/2 - 1991 seems like a year of Rumiko Takahashi inventing "harem genre".

>1992 (mostly kids/teen anime)
All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku - popularizing and defining "artificial girlfriend" trope.

La Blue Girl - among most influencial hentai anime of all times. Tentacles were never so mainstream.

Tenchi Muyo! - final and official birth of Harem (cemented with Love Hina later)

Video Girl Ai - following footsteps of NukuNuku, the most iconic "artificial girlfriend" anime

YuYu Hakusho - birth of "modern" shounen anime. Since than shounen tropes changed surprisingly little (to tamer side mostly)

Legend of Galatic Heroes - not the begining of Space Opera genre, but near its end. The genre reached its epitome with this and died.

Sailor Moon - do i have to comment?

>1993 (mostly male kids/teens anime, start of shounen prevalation)
Slam Dunk - rise of sport anime (among other titles this year), popular in same format until now

>1994 (Ecchi and Yaoi year)
Marmalade Boy - welcome incest trope
Tekkaman Blade - if not for it, NGE would not exist. A first step for the revolution in the industry.
>>
>1999 (Eroge year)
Cosplay Complex - important historical moment!! Birth of SHITTY Harem. You`ll remember and curse this day forever.
Digimon Adventure - most influencial kids show. Before Pokemon, there was Digimon
Kuro no Danshou, ToHeart, Tokimeki Memorial - among the first ever Eroge anime adaptations
Legend of Himiko - birth of oversexualized busty sparsely clad battle maidens genre (Queens Blade etc.)

>2000
Blood: The Last Vampire - as you can assume, its not the "birth" of Vampires in anime, but gave impulse ot many others
Boogipop Phantom - first proper TV anime Horro
FLCL - birth of Toonami
Inuyasha - birth of "battle shounen" (not shoujo), oriented on girls
Azumanga - welcome the birth of comedy sol/4coma (also it isnt) adaptations

>2001 (Year of shitty harems)
Bible Black - most influencial anime of all times
Comic Party, Galaxy Angel, Happy Lesson, Sister Princess, Mahoromantic, I My Me! Strawberry Eggs!
SoulTake - birth of Shinbo
Fruit Basket - proper birth of Reverse Harem
Noir - birth of Ali Project OP/EDs
Hellsing - making violence and blood mainstream and greatly influencing action genre

>2002
.hack - trapped in MMO
Gundam SEED - savior of Gundam franchize, revitalizing it for next 20 years
I"s - birth of PROPER romantic ecchi harem (not the Tenchy type)
Kanon - First Key Shit
Kiddy Grade - perfection and epitome of the "sparcely clad girls doing action and fun things" genre
Onegai Teacher - first Mari Okada show without Mari Okada
>>
>>147106825
>2003 (year of lolicon)
Battle Programmer Shirase, Bottle Fairy, Di Gi Charat,Popotan, Gunslinger Girl - birth of Lolicon
Blame! - birth of visual oriented conceptual action
Maburaho - birth of shitty "magic academy battle harem"
Munto - first and last attempt of KyoAni to making original anime
Scrapped Princess, FMP - perfection of "adventure anime" standard, later even more polished with FMA
The World of Narue - birth of Haruhi Sazumiya genre
FMP: Fumuffu - KyoAni defining new standards in how comedy shows should be made

>2004 (more anime made than in some past years combined)
Samurai 7 - death of Gonzo
Beck - birth of K-Onegai
Genshiken - birth of meme self insert meta anime for otaku
Hikaru no Go, Yukitate Japan - birth and defining "battle shounen" that does not involve battles (but cooking, board games, riddles whatever)
Kannazuki no Miko - first proper mainstream Yuri anime
Kyo Kara Maoh! - first proper mainstream Yaoi anime
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha - birth of Seven Arks
Mai-Hime - birth of Love LIve
Midori Days - birth of Toradora
Phantom of Inferno - birth of Urobutcher
Rozen Maiden - most influencial anime of all times, desuwa
School Rumble - MISUNDERSTANDING becoming the 90% of all comedy in japanese anime
The Adventures of Tweeny Witches - birth of Little Witch Academia
Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase - birth of Monogatari style
Bleach - trend and tutorial to manga authors how to turn stylish clothes magazins into popular manga
Elfen Lied - birth of edgy trainwreck

>2005 (even MORE shows than 2004)
Aria,Kamichu!,Mushishi - birth of boring sols
Strawberry Marshmallow - high point in history of making Sol anime
Eureka 7 - somewhat redefining Mecha anime making it more non-mecha friendly and less edgy
Honey and Clover - standard to how seinen romance anime should be made
Shakugan no Shana - birth of rie kugimiya and the era of global dominance of loli tsunderes
Suzuka - defining NTR and rage until todays
>>
>>147106870
>2006 - the meme year
Boku no Pico,Buso Renkin, Code Geass, Welcome to NHK, Death Note - birth of /a/
D.Gray-man, Hitman Reborn!, Shounen Onmyouji - birth of fujoshit shounen anime
F/SN - birth of /v/ cancer
Sky Girls - birth of /k/ anime
>>
>>147106780
Modern TV anime, modern.

>Legend of Galatic Heroes - not the begining of Space Opera genre, but near its end. The genre reached its epitome with this and died.

LoGH is a dry show that is really dumb as fucking paste at times.

Like really, you genuinely expect me to believe that people don't understand the absolute basics of force concentration? now I get that it's a tool to make Reinhard and Yang seem better but really, then it's got such a basic and shallow view on political theory, the anime -really- helped shore up the books bizarre tone by making everyone deadpan as shit instead of Yang acting like a raving lunatic half the time.
>>
>>147106495
Unless it shits the bed in the last 30 minutes too I suspect that it is leagues better than Anthem.
>>
>>147106919
A lot of what you've said is just gibberish or nothing more than what I just said.

>Rozen Maiden - most influencial anime of all times, desuwa

Ah I see.
>>
>>147106740
If there are no good directors that can pen anything good then that's due to commercial interest drowning out any and all avenues for writers to grow and remains the same point, commercial interest killing anime.
>>
>>147106870
>suzuka
>ntr

really? i didn't know since i barely remember everything

can you summarize what happened?
>>
>>147088937
>a guy who had a good idea 20 years ago complains about the industry now...

I never saw something like this before.
>>
>>147088937
Note that Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bepob both had lots of sexy boobage, even if it wasn't the advertised thing.
More "free" stuff is still being made, and it's the shows people will mention in 2026 when complaining about future anime and how good our shows were.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n74i3bO5sT1sf3h99.png (253KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n74i3bO5sT1sf3h99.png
253KB, 500x375px
>>147099771
When did I imply that? Please take your meme goggles off for a second and think for yourself.
I said there are no anime as deep and subtle as, for example, Eva and Lain nowadays and that's true.
That can only mean, in a sense, that anime has been dumbed down, right? Follow me here?
Shows aren't as complex, therefore the average show has flatter characters, simpler themes and simpler ways of telling their stories?
That's all I said.
Do you think the dumbing down of a medium you like is a good thing? Even if you enjoy dumb shows it shouldn't be a good thing to have less variety and a narrower range of complexity there.
I'll never understand how conservatives like you can get so passionate about deffending the shit state of things. You're having it your way, no need to get so mad at somebody asking for 1 or 2 decent anime a season.

>>147099919
>reason
>by making a strawman out of thin air
But Eva is subtle and complex. You're just being contrarian not acknowledging this simple fact.
>>
>>147107471
Thats not the case. The sexuality was part of the show, especially in Champloo and fit it very well. There is zero complaints one can make about it with Bebop too - since it was part of space western genre.

Meanwhile a Show thats better than Bebop - Outlow star (better since had actual story and great world building), had lots of fanservice for fanservice sake.
>>
>>147091954
He has a point with his criticism, but the worst from the 70s is already forgotten. Furthermore, his "ideal" mecha show might not be ideal for everyone. I.e. it pretty much eliminates all military oriented mecha that don't feature the Super Duper Doom Machine as the MCs special toy.
In my opinion variety is the key, when I like a genre I want many things done with it (preferably in a enjoyable enough way), not just always the same.
That's why I don't have any idea for an "ideal" mecha.
I would say the ideal mecha is one that accomplishes what it wants to be and is enjoyable while doing so.
>>
>>147105223
It sucks because it panders to otaku, not because it's trying to be mature like Bebop and Champloo
>>
>>147091140
Ahem.
>>
>>147107647
Faye was "slutty" and provoking in appearance not for fanservice sake, but because that was part of her character in Bebop.
>>
File: 1401543808901.jpg (35KB, 400x378px) Image search: [Google]
1401543808901.jpg
35KB, 400x378px
Personally, I just want more grown-up shit from anime for grown ups such as myself.

You can enjoy your waifubaits, doesn't matter to me.
>>
>>147093058
>irrelevant shit that no one wants to see
Wasn't his stuff rather popular internationally?
>>
>>147088937
And that's how Zankyou no Terror was born
Seriously, i haven't seen the show in it's entirely, but just for the first 4 episodes i can say it doesn't have the Watanabe "feel" his previous works had, and I've only heard bad things about it.
>>
>>147108033
Why can't we have both and enjoy both

The cute shows
The shonen-esque gar shows
The mature shows
>>
>>147107954
Because her character is generic Femme Fatale from the western noir movie genre, which is large part of Bebop.
>>
>>147108135
I don't know, but looking at the recent Berserk project, Japan may be trying to sabotage anything that's seinen or ambitious.
>>
>>147108201
>generic Femme Fatale
Did you miss the video cassette episode by change anon?
>>
>>147108231
This honestly.
>>
>>147108201
She wasn't much of a femme fatale, she was more like the token piece of ass from Lupin, which is to say several levels below even femme fatale on the scale of "is your character shit or not"
>>
>>147108242
*chance

Fuck my brain is not working
>>
>>147097839
In the 90s there was already a huge decline due the economic downfall. Since then the situation has somewhat improved.
Anime certainly DID have a Golden Age when creators were comparably free to experiment around and a huge amount was being made, but that were certainly not the 90s.
Also, Golden Age doesn't mean "bestest products" - otherwise you would say the the GA of Hollywood made the best movies and the GA of Comic Books the best american comics, which is obviously bullshit.
I think I need to add this, because people here always argue that any supposed GA did not produce the best stuff, which is not the piint.
>>
>>147095648
Well Done steak is often made from the oldest and lowest quality meat the restaurant has to offer, because it covers the taste.
>>
>>147088937

The anime industry is basically the Mobage F2P industry, "whales" etc.
>>
>>147098375
>Anyone who is smarter than me must have shittier sense of fashion than me! It wouldn't be fair otherwise...!

Not him but I'm smarter than you and also dress better.
>>
>>147098008
An anon once linked me to a show from the early 90s with over a hundred episodes and a handfull of movies which is utterly forgotten now.
I have forgotten the name, but I remember how baffled I was that something that seemed to huge can just vansih like that.
It was some sort of ecchi-comedy (and no, not Ranma, which is not forgotten).
I doubt anyone but a handfull from the west ever watched it, and even those few probably did so in the easy-internet age.
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 1200x675px
>>147095519
I understand that Japan doesn't have a real military anymore, but I'd like to think he'd be bright enough to realize that air force pilots don't build or maintain their birds either. That have one job, and that is to fly them. Simple division of labor.
>>147096838
>>147098973
He's a mildly leftist dem-soc. He's too pacifistic to actually be a communist. Commies want to break some porky skulls.
>>
>>147109382
>I understand that Japan doesn't have a real military anymore
Don't they have the second or third largest Navy?
>>
>>147109433
Fifth, but technically it's not a navy: it's a police reserve. They're civil servants, not soldiers.
>>
>>147109382
>I understand that Japan doesn't have a real military anymore, but I'd like to think he'd be bright enough to realize that air force pilots don't build or maintain their birds either. That have one job, and that is to fly them. Simple division of labor.
Yes because Shinji and Shimon are totally equal to air force pilots who have gone through years of selection and training and are the best of the best in their field quite literally, amirite?

Fuck off. Plenty of more capable people could have replaced Shinji and Shimon.
>>
>>147109433
Maybe before WW2
Also their "navy" now isn't technically a navy, but more or less a coast guard that just happens to be equipped like a navy. Japan is, technically speaking, still a constitutionally pacifist nation.
>>
>>147090645
No, this is the least ideal situation possible, because not everyone is an expert or authority on things despite the very modern attitude that everyone gets to be their own little god.

Consumers don't care about what they get, they just want something to spend their money on. This has been proven, time and again, by people self-righteously bitching about the state of the entertainment industry and yet billions and billions of dollars are spent by those same people year in and year out.
>>
>>147109647
In Shinji's case, considering how young Eva pilots have to be, they have pretty much gone through a condensed version of what AF pilots get. They've been carefully selected for their jobs and have been trained to carry them out. Shinji is the new recruit, but for all we know Rei and Asuka could already have 1000s of hours already logged.
>>
>>147109991
Remind me, why do Eva pilots have to be young?
>>
>>147106870
>Mushishi
>boring
Fight me
>>
>>147110133
They all had to be born after 2nd impact.
>>
>>147110224
Exactly.

NERV would much rather not have to put up with them, considering that none of their other personnel are younger than ~18-20, but they don't have a choice.
>>
>>147109647
Evangelion was justified, as other anons explained already.
They had only a very limited pool of potential canditates, and all were still children.
>>
>>147099112
Actually the american media pushed blacks latins and young white adults, you know the people who actually need and want those homes, as the real problem. Did a really good job at demonizing them as well.

Hell there were even stories of banks foreclosing on homes that were bought well before the bubble began and were being paid on time in hopes of packagaing them and selling them.

The real problem were the wealthy and ghetto rich(people basically living on debt) americans buying dozens of homes and hoping to flip them for a profit. Basically gambling with these homes for profit. And the shitload of things happening in the background.

Right now the housing market has completely crashed in america and the demonized underclass and races confidence in that market as well as banks has reached an all time low.

At this moment a lot of media and manipulation of public opinion on sites like this and facebook is being done in hopes of getting americans back into a home buying mood and demonizing the people who decide to get roomates and co-habitated with family and friends.

But the damage has been done and it's BAD.
>>
>>147099866
The assumption that tastes won't change away from the product you're selling all together is quite honestly an arrogant one.
>>
>>147088937
Chupame la verga
>>
So many directors complain about this but offer no ways to fix the situation. I guess it can't be helped at this point. The industry is what it is now. It cornered itself on the market and now will never escape because to do so would require more profit which they will never get now that the audience has narrowed down so much. This in combination of the typical japanese business model of not wanting to take risks.
>>
>>147106412
The unironic gary stu.
Is shit upon by everyone but when done right is fairly entertaining.
Kirito Subaru sorta,, that irregular guy, the guy from rogue esthetica.
Bad? Guys from the numerous magical school tournament anime that have been crapped out lately. Hundred, the guy who's sister locked his power up etc.
>>
>>147094873
It has been said that modern animation is going down the shitter because of animators learning from anime rather than trying to replicate real movement.
>>
>>147111449
Why don't they set aside some money and have people dedicated to risk taking ventures?

They learn from the mistakes and carefully watch and listen to people who watch it anaylize the information and begin to create new media based on it after slowly changing and perfecting things.
>>
>>147094962
You do understand people watch that shit to make up for the lack of social interaction with real life girls right?
It will NEVER tire them as long as they don't actually make friend/get into a relationship with a real woman and realize animu girls are as close to a woman as much as Gundam is close to a real warfare scenario.
Or even worse, they completely renounced real women and only want 2D girls that have no real problems nor complexes.
Waifufags are failed human beings.
>>
>>147112218
I would question whether or not that's truly a detriment since average production values have been going up and there's no shortage of choreography with excellent sakuga and a good expression of motion.

Perhaps it's one of those nitpicky things that only another animator would take notice of, but as a laymen viewer, animation itself has been getting better as time has gone on, not worse.
>>
File: 1386528942689.jpg (103KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1386528942689.jpg
103KB, 1280x720px
>>147112616
It's not just a question of shot composition or smooth looking movement but things like body language and natural facial expressions. I'd always point to Planetes as a brilliant example of this. So much of the subtleties of the characters and their relationships are conveyed through these, not to mention the understanding of the human form needed for its realistic zero-g movement.
The point I'm trying and failing to make is that I'm struggling to think of an anime that aired in the past decade that has impressed me in a similar fashion. Maybe Haruhi in one or two places, but that could just be my memory messing with me.
>>
>>147112616
Imaishi tier animation for ADHD retards, maybe, or the kind of weightless cool for being cool animation you see in MP100 or OPM.
But actually good animators like Mitsuo Iso or Takeshi Honda are actually less present, and as the other anon said the movies and OVA are extremely lacking since the last decade.
>>
>>147112592
The irony of this post is that the most profitable and bullet proof market in all of japan in the fujo market.

And have you seen those gals?
>>
>>147113107
A lot of kyoani stuff comes off the top of my head for what kind of expression your talking about, as well as various recent movies.

Your issue I think is a matter of budget. Exceptionally well-funded productions often express a more realistic approach to anatomy and motion if it's thematically appropriate to the art and style, but TV anime generally does not because it can't afford to, and pursues a less realistic style because it's more affordable and practical for tv anime while also still being visually appealing. Especially in times when the economy is in a downturn and risks are higher, styles which are less expensive and intensive will be favoured. And, of course, adaptations typically stick close to the style of their source material, which is another constraint.

A great deal of hyper-realistic human body motion in close-up shots is rotoscoped and this has always been the case. I feel like I doubt any claim that the skill level of animators or their ability to accurately represent the motion and proportions of the human body has declined.
>>
The main issue is the business model relies too much on a small group of customers buying overpriced products and mercs, and basically makes creative/novel shows more risky. The amount of people following seasonal anime is much larger both in Japan and abroad, and somehow most of the them are not paying a cent. You can't just blame the audience for this, there's gotta be something wrong on the distribution side.

Because shows make such little profits and can often miss, studios are pressured to make more shows with lower quality

If instead of selling BDs and goods they can make money by streaming service or airing rights then they'd have much more creative freedom. But it would require a successful streaming platform in Japan first.
>>
>>147113219
Just as repulsive as their male counterpart, you should know there are two sides for one coin.
>>
>>147113436
The business model grew up around VHS, which was huge for a long time. It's just that as VHS became obsolete and the replacements declined in popularity, something new didn't arise that anime studios could easily monetize.

The rise of the internet has had broad reaching effects in industries across the world. Newspaper journalism in the west struggles because so much of their readership has shifted completely to online reading, and the profit margin for pageview advertising is much lower than newspaper adspace. Similarly, the value that viewers place in bluray has plummeted since digital storage space became so affordable. Why buy expensive blurays for a series you haven't seen when you can just program your PVR to record them instead? Blurays have almost become a form of charity, where fans willingly overpay for something they already have because they want to support the creators, and not because they actually value the product their money is buying them.

Of course, the industry continues to try and incentivize BD sales with extras and things like event tickets which do provide some kind of actual value beyond just the episodes, but these appeal almost exclusively to the hardcore fans, the otaku, anyway.

And once again, the issue is that digital means of monetization return much smaller profit margins that traditional ones, and once you make the jump to that model there's no going back.
>>
>>147112592
Im married and I still watch cgdct
with my wife
>>
>>147114075
Thats cute
>>
>>147106962
This is the most accurate opinion about LoGH i've ever seen. finally some who doesn't praise it and say it's the best show of all time and does everything better than all the animes.
Bless you anon
>>
>>147113868
Honestly it's the creators fault for not switching to an easier distribution medium such as streaming. Netflix is a hit in the west. Japan just needs to follow suit and the industry can recover.
>>
>>147088937
>Criticize moeshit
>"HURRR DURRR YOU FUCK /V/TARD LET ME ENJOY MY ESCAPIST SHIT SHOW, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS INDUSTRY

Fuck this board.
>>
>>147106962
>Not understanding the basis of Force concentration

You'd be surprised how many commanders were famous and hugely successful over getting concentration of forces down more than their opponents could. Also, LOGH is way more about that specific tactical concept and way more than muh military tactics in general.

Hating LOGH is a bad meme and 99% of the people who do it are moefags.
>>
>>147088937
>Wah anime is shit, why won't it changeee

Then do good shows you retard. Space Dandy was stupid and ZnT was hilariously bad.
>>
>>147112592
But what can be done to combat this? Shit like Space Dandy was not well received. They'll continue making the same shit, but if it makes money, is it really wrong.

Waifufags may be cancerous stains but if they responsible for funding it, who are you to say no? It's like marvek movies really.
>>
>>147116635
>Also, LOGH is way more about that specific tactical concept and way more than muh military tactics in general.

The writer literally doesn't understand the concepts he's writing about. I'd be surprised if he even read on war. He may be a victorian era miliary nerd. But yeah, he doesn't understand it.
>>
>>147111059
The assumption that you can reply to the first paragraph of the post without reading the second is quite honestly an arrogant one.

>>147113436
>But it would require a successful streaming platform in Japan first.
If only you could stream anime on niconico... oh, wait. For numerous reasons, digital distribution just doesn't pay as much.

>>147113868
>blurays have almost become a form of charity, where fans willingly overpay for something they already have because they want to support the creators
Sooner or later, we'll just need to take the logical next step and start crowdfunding everything.

Of course, first we need a model with real producer accountability and more consumer awareness. But it's either that, or pretending overpriced memorabilia really have that much value.

>>147115890
>Netflix is a hit in the west.
So is Crunchyroll.

The infrastructure is there. Customer interest has yet to follow.
>>
>>147096435
Except that's exactly how it works

and if the industry dies, fuck it. At this point, I wouldn't mind it.
>>
>>147116712

niconico streams are the absolute shittiest quality and often 1 week+ delayed. the fact that people are not paying for it means basically nothing.

The profit margin will be much lower for sure but you can make more money if the reach is good enough.

Abema seems to be fairly successful so far and it has a large anime lineup. If something like netflix original series can happen for anime it would be a healthier way of making shows.
>>
>>147116698
Yeah dude he doesn't need to be Clausewitz himself to be a decent writer on war. No it's not really realistic but it's a hundred times more so than most war dramas.

So many great series have had writers who really didn't understand completely how war works but that doesn't make them bad. Mobile Suit Gundam has literally half the human population dying in like a weeks time . If that were to ever happen, the fabric society would collapse itself both in logistical terms and spiritual terms. Industries would crumble because lack of manpower and people would walk around morose knowing that half of the people they've ever known are now dust. But MSG was still a great show just like LOGH.
>>
I understand his complaint but what does he want companies to do? Just throw money at stuff that might not sell? Who in their right mind would do that?
>>
>>147088937
nothing new, really

nowadays you need to be a landwhale or otaku to unironically like this

or either a brain damaged non functional member of the society to be able to enjoy moe SOL
>>
>>147110992
How is it that /a/ has a better grasp on these things than /pol/ or /biz/ does?
>>
>>147117138
Sometimes you find really good info on boards completely unrelated to the subject.

The magic of 4chan.
>>
>>147113520
Yes, but they basically own the upcoming season and dictate the direction of a massive chunk of media.
>>
>>147116635
it's too fucking overrated and flawed tho
>>
>>147116826
No it doesn't. Why take risks when you have guaranteed profit? Risks are for desperate time. But the industry is doing fine.
>>
File: image.jpg (50KB, 576x433px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 576x433px
>>147114075
>/a/utists getting in position to have offspring
>>
>>147116335
>>>/v/
>>
>>147112592
Real women are disgusting. You can't blame waifufags.
>>
>>147116712
Japan is all about accountability.
Just have a guy(s) who's name means something connected to the crowd funded project be in charge and watching things and will be responsible.
Be open about things but not so open that the project is spoiled.
Will both show the fame and power of said names attached and the viability of certain ideas.

But this path will lead to a lot of pandering projects. It can be a stepping stone for real meaty projects that are paid for with profits from the crowd sourcing stuff but I'm not sure a miyazaki tier thing will ever take off from crowd funding alone.

And that person is right. Digital really is the future. Anime that sells a product or makes money off of sales that the series creates is more then likely already streaming it in beautiful quality for free.
Any extra money from buying the Blurays/dvds or shwag is just cake.

Everything else is really just shit out of luck and treated as filler.

The way to get around this is to have a virtual web of anime. A streaming site that has forced advertisements and the latest in anti stream capturing methods.
The way to keep this going is to have each piece of it be connected with other series.

Like this title here's ten more just like it.
Like the subject of this series here are more series like it
Like the Seiyuu of this and that here are more works they worked on and a link to their website and that one porno the starred in years ago.
>>
>>147091954
>Miyazaki's ideal mecha anime is Megas XLR
>>
>>147093548
wtf i love Miyazaki now. Truly a man of taste.
>>
>>147117294
I don't really think so. Some people may personally dislike the subject matter but I think it honestly is one of the best series there's been.

I think a lot of people have antipathy towards it because the conception of LOGH as a 'mature show for mature people such as myself', kind of things, for 'patricians' to wank their dicks to and feel snide at someone who hasn't seen or didn't like it. I had that view of it too before I had watched it and I ended up loving it.
>>
File: 1469225309796.png (419KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1469225309796.png
419KB, 1024x576px
>>147088937
Of course /a/ will criticize this.
>over half the catalog is filled with basement dwellers oggling their precious waifus
>"cowboy bebop is un-ironically shit" look how edgy i am

...this board...
>>
>>147116974
>but it's a hundred times more so than most war dramas.

but it isn't. This is the problem, you think it is because it sells itself well. I actually loaned my copy of the book to an expert in the early-modern era and he nearly dropped it from the very first battle because it was THAT unbelievable.

And you do realise the fabric of society did collapse in UC right?
>>
>>147117884
Wouldn't surprise me

I've gotten so tired of watching shitty anime with /a/ that I started trying western cartoons.
>>
>>147099734
>Muh pairings
>This is exactly what Miyazaki was talking about man!!

Miyazaki hates you if you would even consider watching Bleach
>>
>>147118697
>Miyazaki hates you if you would even consider watching Bleach
It was 10 years ago anon, please kill yourself.
>>
>>147117884
The fat ass lead LITTERALLY finds a deus ex machina machine and does nothing but a handful of stupid alterations to it.
He finds an even more powerful deus ex machina machine later and does even fewer alterations to it.

It is exactly the kind of mecha that miyazaki hates.
>>
>>147118472
It didn't really collapse well enough as it should have. In a few months it was up back and running.

Also, Astate was not that unbelievable. Yes it would usually take someone fairly incompetent to split their forces in the face of the enemy. But that's the reason why the Alliance did so, Incompetent commanders,which are the reason for a lot of strikingly bad defeats.
>>
>Basically when I tossed the pitch to companies, the first question back would be, 'so, where’s the pretty girl?'"

He's right you know. Or, they're right. Today /a/ is very reluctant to watch anything that doesn't have at least one sex object to wank to.
>>
File: 0306.gif (991KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
0306.gif
991KB, 500x375px
>>147106780
>Tekkaman Blade - if not for it, NGE would not exist.

Explain this to me
>>
>>147100403
Because Kyoani didn't exist
>>
>>147106962
You make LoGH sound like absolute shit. Why does everyone seem to like it?
>>
>>147109097
Look at this guy who thinks Urusei Yatsura is forgotten
Thread posts: 518
Thread images: 67

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.