[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hajime no Ippo discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 267
Thread images: 32

File: ippo.jpg (100KB, 600x532px) Image search: [Google]
ippo.jpg
100KB, 600x532px
Ippo 1151 is now out on mangastream.

Chapter 1151:
Takamura brings up the fact that he does not want Ippo to get up Kamogawa's hopes only to fuck it up, because he believes that Ippo does not have what it takes to be a world champ. Ippo does not get it, and just say that he'll "try his best". Ippo is training after this conversation, thinking about what Takamura meant. He still cannot cross the line in the sand.
At the end of the chapter, Ippo spars against the world #10 in the Jr. Featherweight class (one below Ippo). Ippo is ranked #10 himself. Ippo gets floored after a few jabs.

Chapter 1152 (I'm doing these with help of google translate)
Everybody wonders why Ippo was not even an opponent to a Jr. Featherweight. Was Ippo not mentally prepared for it? No, that does not seem to be the case. Ippo (and Itagaki) think that it might have been the head armor that they used in the spars - Ippo thinks that he could not see properly because of it, and therefore fucked up his timing for the new dempsey.
Takamura disagrees, and says "he's broken. I thought Ippo only had problems in the mental aspect, and that it was something that he could overcome. But no, even apart from that, he has a problem with his body. Even before, he couldn't see Aoki's frog punch... he has problems with his sight. Either he has issues with his eyes, or with his brain."
Kamogawa thinks the same to himself, and the possibility of Ippo being punch drunk is first brought up. Kamogawa seems to blame himself for this, apologizing to Ippo in his monologue - he says that even if Ippo is a tough guy, he worried in the early days that Ippo will fuck his shit up if he gets punched so much. But he stopped worrying because Ippo was so tough, and seemingly unfazed... but Ippo is only human.
>>
File: ippo 2.jpg (54KB, 600x378px) Image search: [Google]
ippo 2.jpg
54KB, 600x378px
Chapter 1153
Kamogawa tells Yagi that Ippo might be punch drunk, and that he will force him to end his career if he is. punch drunkness can manifest in different ways, but it is something that canl deteriorate his sight. Kamogawa says that its not confirmed at this point, but that things look grim for Ippo. Yagi is shocked and says that Ippo always came back with his turnaround victories, and that he got punched a lot, and that that might have been costly.
Ippo, sitting at home, tries to draw a straight vertical line. He cant keep a straight line. He's startled by this, and wonder if these are remaining effects of the Gonzales fight. The next day, Ippo goes to Kamogawa to talk to him and Yagi, and he tells him that he has difficulties buttoning up his shirt, that his fingers tremble, that he has troubles walking straight, that he suddenly becomes sleepy from time to time, and that his memory is unreliable, and asks him if those are signs of being punch drunk

Soo, lets discuss this. how fucked is ippo?
>>
File: 1465685992551.gif (1MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1465685992551.gif
1MB, 300x169px
>>147049347
>>147049363

>ippo

Well he sure is going to die after he gets the title. Of course might turn into nothing.
>>
>>147049363
Pretty much. But I see this as a building up for him to walk across that Takamura's line.
>>
>>147049455
How? You can't just ignore dementia pugilistica.
>>
The oxygen finally went to his brain.
>>
>>147049472
You can if you say fuck it all and go for broke.
>>
>>147049363
My read for 1153 is that he was asked those criteria said he wasn't experiencing any, and was given a pen to draw a line at the end as a test.
>>
>>147049504
top fugging kek
>>
>>147049347

Brain damage you say?

Better go improve his offense some more.
>>
>>147049347
>Hey, sorry Ippo, I told you from Day 1. to get hit with your head instead of teaching you proper boxing
>My bad

Kamogawa is a fucking criminal, Ippo was a fucking sponge in the early days, able to learn everything pretty convincingly. Fuck him.
>>
>>147050994

Funny thing is Kamogawa was warned multiple times.
>>
It's gonna be nothing just like Takamura's eye was nothing.
>>
>>147051374
You do realize Takamura is based on a real life boxer right? A boxer who, had the exact same results relatively, and lost the very next match?
>>
>>147050994
it was only 1 time and it was a thing to not get hit by the full force of the punch
>>
>>147051374
>was nothing

if you think being 100% blind in 1 eye is nothing then ok. A boxer being half blind means death.
>>
>>147049455
It's gonna be too unbelievable even for this manga.
>>
>>147053345
To be fair, Ippo's whole boxing style is a recipe for Parkinson's. There's a reason nobody inboxes in real life any more.
>>
>>147053489
true
>>
>>147049363
>Ippos blindness finally being brought up again after a year
Jesus Christ finally
>>
>>147049551
Indeed. Death is a cure-all.
>>
>>
>>147049363
Well there really isn't out of this without asspulls. Ippo always said he wanted to help his "family" after his boxing career, and this is the last point to do so before you just cripple yourself.

There has been 0 indication that Ippo would want that.
>>
>>147054747
these chapters have been clearly indicating that although he is clinging onto his childish idea of treating boxing as a hobby and that he wants to or has to be there for his mother and the business, he still wants to pour his effort into boxing and do his best

its leading up to him crossing the line and throwing away his naivety
>>
>>147054103

Wonder when Takamuras eye issues are going to be brought up again, or if it actually was a red herring all along?
>>
>>147053489

They do but not like that. They pick and choose when to go in rather then charge while tanking punches.
>>
File: 1443896663567.png (134KB, 449x411px) Image search: [Google]
1443896663567.png
134KB, 449x411px
>>147049347
>1151
Fuck, I need to catch up
>>
New Ippo anime when
>>
File: 1472842020206.png (63KB, 493x387px) Image search: [Google]
1472842020206.png
63KB, 493x387px
>>147049504
>>
>>147049363
I remember
>>
Manga should end with Ippo giving up his boxing career and becoming an activist for better awareness of punch drunk.
>>
>>147055809
too much blushing and dick jokes to believe that's the ride that was intended :S
>>
Oh, don't make this end like Ashita no Joe. There's only many tears i can let out.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq-XMDTyGHE
>>
So does that mean the manga is over?
Ippo can't fight Punch Drunk, especially on the world stage, it'd be suicide.
>>
>>147050994
>that one fight with Scratch J where the coach basically tells him to get hit by full swings because that's all he can do
>>
File: bob and weave.webm (3MB, 914x646px) Image search: [Google]
bob and weave.webm
3MB, 914x646px
Hopefully this develops into Ippo deciding it's time he stops getting hit in the fucking face and learning to dodge instead.
Ippo is meant to be like Tyson, and it wasn't how hard he hit that made Tyson so great (though it certainly didn't hurt).
>>
>>147049504
ayy
>>
>>147059984
jesus christ, that's absolutely sick.

didnt know that tyson was such a beast.
>>
File: Which way is tomorrow.jpg (73KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Which way is tomorrow.jpg
73KB, 1440x1080px
RIP Ippo. This is the one thing you can't PUNCH HARDER.
>>
>>147060057
There's a reason he's so famous. He was basically inhumanly good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FgS3kCv79I
>>
>Ippo has dementia pugilistica
>Takamura still has a detached retina and is going to lose his next fight
>Coach is literally coughing up blood

What is going on
>>
>>147060214
Yamata damashii getting ready
Soon the filthy gaijin will see what it means when a japanese decides to become a monster
>>
>>147058679

Nah, it means he's gotta try again because clearly he wasn't tanking punches to the face properly.
>>
I dropped Ippo after the Woli shit.

So after a thousand chapters of Ippo punching harder and having more oxygen he's suddenly worse than everyone?
>>
File: 1403218703019.gif (203KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1403218703019.gif
203KB, 480x270px
>>147049504
>>
>>147059984
Problem is ippo isnt tyson, tyson was a fucking god
>>
>>147061801
Gotta keep it running for the people who still buy it.
>>
>>147062591

He could have been if his trainer didn't let him keep fighting when he clearly had concussions.
>>
Kamogawa is a shit teacher when it comes to proper boxing theory past the basics.

He has the workout schedule right (shit-tons of roadwork) and training muscle memory and keeping a tight guard for inboxing but every single bit of that "use your samurai guts!!!" shit is bad.

Something like 80%+ of all pro boxers who have a reasonably long career end with brain injuries. This is because boxing is way harder on you than MMA.

I'm not knocking MMA though- this is because boxing is well, a punchsport. You can't kick, you can't end with submissions, you don't go to the ground. You literally stand upright and punch eachother in the head and body until someone physically can't stand anymore. You take dozens more headshots in a boxing match compared to an MMA bout- and due to the ancient fuckheaded 10-count it's REALLY bad. You can in fact, pop right back up to your feet and take a fighting stance while basically unconscious.

Ippo is patterned after Mike Tyson but Mike was insanely fast and didn't actually get hit a lot. He slipped and weaved like people half his size and had insane hand-speed. Ippo just trades punches and because he's built like a brick shithouse he wins in exchanges.
>>
>>147061801
If you don't read the manga then fuck off, don't come to threads to ask what happens in the series because you dropped it.
>>
>>147062814
To be fair they do intend Ippo to be fast and good at dodging from time to time (he's called the Wind God for a reason), it's just that the author has to make literally 90% of his enemies insanely skilled godmode boxers who wreck his shit just so he can pull his ebin wow so exciting comeback routine at the end.

Nevertheless you have to keep in mind he was actually able to successfully dodge Gonzales' jabs after getting used to it.
>>
>>147060214

the manga is either ending or reaching a turnaround point
>>
>>147063013
He's not good if every single fighter keeps hitting him in the face.
>>
>>147063013
>t's just that the author has to make literally 90% of his enemies insanely skilled godmode boxers who wreck his shit just so he can pull his ebin wow so exciting comeback routine at the end.
That and Ippo doesn't have the drive to wreck people's shit. So he would rather fight on people's levels.

Exception being the Sawamura/Gonzalez grade fighters. Sawamura basically could have killed the dude.
>>
>>147063013
Hes the "Wind God" because his punches are so strong he makes wing.
If someone is a wind god thats Itagaki.
>>
>>147063013

Ippo really shouldn't get hit that much if he's good enough to be a worldranker.

At this point even without brain damage he doesn't rise up to the class of a "barrier" boxer which is what Gonzales is (and probably pissed about).

A "barrier" boxer is the dudes who're ranked just under the champ- guys who are phenomenally good but just cannot beat the champ for some reason (1 in a million champ, bad match for styles, mental blocks, etc). Basically they're like a hardcore miniboss- where for many up and comers they're harder to beat than the actual champ.
>>
File: ali.jpg (271KB, 1065x757px) Image search: [Google]
ali.jpg
271KB, 1065x757px
>>147049347
>>147049363
RIP in piss, Ippo

Enjoy Parkinson's
>>
>>147049347
>Ippo's too dumb to understand what Takamura is talking about in 1151
Punches to the head are a helluva drug.
>>
>>147053113

Well, a tragedy revolving around Takamura was always in the cards. He was never going to conquer all the weight classes, or at least, not survive doing it.
>>
>>147055065

His next match, which is hopefully for the super middleweight title. Most of the characters seem to have entered their end game, so Takamura losing his next big fight could happen and Ippo doesn't have many fights left in him.

Kamogawa should force Ippo to retirement desu. That won't happen of course and whatever Morikawa does to keep the story going will be retarded, so I just hope the series will end soon.
>>
>>147065207

I thought he would reach the top and die or break doing it, but now it does seem like he is close to his end. Middleweight was clearly his division and he has conquered it now, so I doubt there is anything for him to win anymore.

I wonder what Mori plans to do with Miyata though.
>>
>>147066057
>I wonder what Mori plans to do with Miyata though.

Gift him the featherweight WBC title and have him retire, since said world champion is still nameless/faceless and this series is set during a time when the Japanese fighters don't compete in the WBO or IBF.
>>
>>147066280

Yeah, I doubt we will see another Ippo/Miyata match and his storyline is pretty much completed anyway. Sendo is still there to be Ippo's last rival and he has two matches left in him, so I guess the series is really ending soon.

Too bad the upcoming fights will most likely be shit.
>>
>>147063013
>>147063118

Remember when Ippo had that match with a skilled outboxer and just completely shut him down without the guy being able to do anything?

That was fucking great, but noooooo. Can't have ippo be good. Can't have ippo stop being a faggot in the ring or with kumi because fuck character development.
>>
>>147067302

That was the last good Ippo match, and even the Karasawa dude was ruined when Itagaki wrecked him even faster than Ippo did. Itagaki was the worst mistake Morikawa ever made with this series
>>
>>147067513
Itagaki made for some great comedy but when they made him a fucking timestopper it was over for him.
>>
>>147067590
>>147067513
*Which is also why his beatdown by Imai was the most satisfying thing in the entire manga.
>>
>>147063169
>Hes the "Wind God" because his punches are so strong he makes wing.

No you idiot, he's the wind god because his punches are strong AND shot in rapid succession, like a hurricane. That's why Miyata mentions he never uses his full power when punching, because they're always part of a combo.
>>
>>147067782
Miyata's full power is shit.
>>
>>147067639
That entire bout was orgasmic. Even better is that you cant even fault itagaki for the loss, he stayed calm and collected the entire time and fought perfectly, there was just nothing that was going to stop Imai from pushing itagaki's shit in.
>>
>>147068311

It was great, but they are going to have their third match and I doubt it will be any good. They both are clearly above the national level, but they seem to be stuck with the JBC title scene for the rest of the manga
>>
>>147067955
That doesnt really matter when you can pull a lightning fast counter out of your ass with shattered ribs and the other guy taking your absolute best like it was nothing.

Dear god that ending made me mad and the entire pacific challenge that came as a result was shit. Its should have been ippo vs randy boy. Ippo legit wanted to beat the shit out of him too.
>>
>>147068462

>miyatas weakness is supposedly his lack of stamina
>>
>>147068460
Most likely unfortunately. Tgey teased itagaki going after miyata a while back but at this point its not happening. And the only reason itagaki won the first match is because imai held him up.
>>
Wait Ippo skipped amateurs and most of his fights ended quickly, how is he already punch drunk? What about Aoki who's pretty shitty or Vorg with his 400 amateur fights how come they're fine while Ippo isn't.
>>
>>147068635
Dont forget his glass chin
And his mosquito bite punches

Miyata got an author's saving throw against randy and i dont know why people try to suggest otherwise
>>
>>147068791
They weren't getting punched as hard as him i guess.
>>
>>147068791
I guess it's because Aoki actually gets knocked down pretty easy, whereas Ippo's YAMATO DAMASHII and COACH'S BURNING HANDSLAP just keeps him propped up, not falling and still taking knockout damage.
>>
>>147067955
IPPO'S full power you fucking retard
>>
>>147068791
First of all Vorg is a fucking beast and was always the best out of all the featherweights bar ricardo.

Secondly ippo keeps getting hit with huge counter punches. His match against sawamura is a big example, and he took kojima's for pretty much no reason. sparring sendo right before facing gonzalez probably didnt do him any favors either.
>>
>>147068962
Yes, I'm saying the "full power" miyata doesn't use is shit anyway.
>>
>>147068791
Ironically enough, both Aoki and Vorg don't get hit easily by counters.
>>
>>147068791

Vorg is a genius outboxer as well.
>>
>>147068962
Ippo isnt supposed to be using his full power anyway because his punches are supposed to be quick and compact, and he hits damn hard inspite of that. His compact punches now are probably equivalent to his full swing punches from when he was a rookie as hes gotten alot stronger since then. He has more punching power than sendo even.

Kojima is probably the only time we'll ever see ippo use his full strength, and that should have killed kojima.
>>
>>147068791
"Submarine fight" with that Brock Lesnar Fisherman dude.

Sawamura fight where he headbutted counter punches.

Sendo. Twice.

The Truck-punch to shittalker. Got countered.

Gonzales.

Woli and his magic monkey punches.

He got wrecked by people who are superhuman. And since he yamato damashi'd he got hit way harder and far too many times.
>>
>>147069126
Even when vorg was forced to infight in japan, a style that isnt his best he pretty much shat on everyone, and only lost to ippo because all his matches were so short that he lacked stamina. Vorg is both well rounded and all around terrifying. Theres a reason why the only reason vorg was able to get a world title match was it had to be short notice so that he couldnt properly condition himself because he was so dominant.
>>
>>147069243
To be fair headbuttong those counter punches is better than taking them full on.
>>
>>147069467
Doesn't that makes you wish boxing had something that would enable boxers to not get hit by punches? Oh, wait.
>>
>>147069558
He tried but sawamura was really accurate and at the time a monster who was built as a hard counter to ippo.
>>
>>147069654

It's a shame that Sawamura was written out of the story, at least as a boxer. The guy was an absolute monster who got the best out of Ippo, and Ippo should have lost that fight. His fight with Mashiba was fun though, and his appearances have been fun afterwards.
>>
>>147049347
>chapter 1151
I think you made a mistake anon
>>
File: 1417539766080.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1417539766080.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
Isn't Ippo in his mid twenties already? And he's still a virgin? How pathetic can you get?
>>
>>147070157
It was pretty great having commentate on miyata vs randy
>>
File: 1366389454752.png (280KB, 452x710px) Image search: [Google]
1366389454752.png
280KB, 452x710px
>>147070493
thanks Anon I needed that
>>
>>147070493
Dick's too big to fit
>>
>>147070157

I think it partially was because actually was too strong against some boxers. He already pretty much mopped the floor with any inboxer, and that was before he became fully serious about boxing.
>>
>>147068791
Aoki is a way lower ranked boxer than Ippo and Vorg's amateur fights used headgear
>>
Despite everyone getting butthurt because Ippo lost, the fight with Gonzales was actually god tier
>>
>>147070634
Sawamura would have impeded anyone short of vorg from progressing no matter where he went.
>>
>>147070835
I reread it from start to finish recently and it really is fantastic. It even makes the Woli fight retroactively better because it turns all the bullshit in that fight into foreshadowing for the gigantic flaws in Ippo's fighting style and mentality.
>>
>>147049363
>>147049347
Haha holy shit. Remember those episodes where Ippo was worried that Takamura was getting blind?

This is too sad and ironically funny to be true.
>>
>>147070634

Yeah, even Miyata admitted Sawamura had more talent than him. The story might have been better if Ippo lost there and Sawamura turned into an actual rival for him
>>
>>147070952
Watch as they both become blind. The question is how much will they accomplish before it happens.
>>
>>147070952

even sadder is that everybody forgot about takamura's eye and he is still going blind
>>
>>147070683
Headgear doesn't prevent brain damage, it's only there to stop cuts.
>>
>>147071187
No, the manga goes like this
>ippo's going to lose
>backslap, pull yourself together
>wins
He's going to fight blind from now on.
>>
>>147071537
What about those times where he loses or wins easily?
>>
>>147071639
Just let him meme anon
>>
>>147068791
Aoki and Kimura are pathetic at boxing, but they are canonically beasts at everything else athletics wise. They are amusingly enough talented people, just not configured in the right way for boxing particularly.

So they probably just subconsciously do well at taking damage unlike Ippo who face tanks it. They don't actually have like triple the matches Ippo does or anything.

I mean those two were capable of going to Koshien without a single bit of training and possibly fight for the championship. That was how amazing they were. They just happened to sign under the gym of the one guy who is canonically stated to be superior to even Ricardo pound for pound.
>>
>>147072298
Also if I recall Kimura commonly had problems with weight control. Ippo's weight class in particular is just filled with monsters.
>>
File: 05.png (358KB, 834x1200px) Image search: [Google]
05.png
358KB, 834x1200px
>>147072424

Wonder if that's a sign that he will be going up a weight class.
>>
>>147072298

They aren't that bad in boxing either, Kimura lost a split decision against a former champ and managed to give Mashiba hard time, and Aoki had a draw with a champion in his class. Both also did good against champions from other countries.

Too bad Shinoda is a shit trainer who can't make his boxers tank hits with their faces
>>
>>147072588
Shinoda is only average, mediocre at worst
>>
File: hajime-no-ippo-1798929.jpg (97KB, 623x575px) Image search: [Google]
hajime-no-ippo-1798929.jpg
97KB, 623x575px
>>147049347
I'm still surprised he hasn't fucked Kumi yet. I can't even remember, but are they "official" yet? At this point you would think she would find someone else to satisfy her.
>>
>>147072701
They are practically married at this point.

And pretty much everyone has seen ippo's dick
>>
File: 1473275741228.png (358KB, 552x543px) Image search: [Google]
1473275741228.png
358KB, 552x543px
>>147049504
>>
>>147072298
They'd probably be world contenders if they had less shitty coaches
>>
>>147072920
Nah probably not
>>
>>147068791
Past a certain point, Ippo forgot all about dodging and started soaking damage to the face instead.
>>
>>147073019
Nah he tried, he just got hit anyway
>>
>Just now thinking that Ippo taking punches to the face is only now a problem
>You now remember the episode where Volg knocked the absolute shit out of Ippo just to show his Dempsey could be countered
>>
>>147072701
Maybe he can't get it up due to brain damage.
>>
>>147049347
>>147049363
Is this for real? How the fuck is this suddenly turning so dark? I can't see how they'll just justify Ippo fighting anymore, unless Gonzales rapes his mom or something.
>>
>>147073330
He didnt even hit him hard either, vorg pulled his punch
>>
>>147049363
kek

Ippo ends with brain damage and not with a belt

Bravo George
>>
>>147063169
>Downgrading Chronos
wew
>>
>>147074199
>Ippo has brain damage and no belt
>No Ippo vs Miyata
>Takamura never dominates all classes because his eye
>Aokimura eventually gives up
>>
File: 1363369371702.gif (358KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
1363369371702.gif
358KB, 220x220px
>>147049504
>>
Is it worth picking up the manga after the last anime season? I really enjoyed it but I don't know much about the quality of the story afterwards. Normally I would just take the plunge but it's quite long and I don't have a lot of free time to do anime/manga.
>>
This

this is what we read those 1000 chapters for
>>
>>147074702
Anyone know what the author's life looks like? If it's a depressing ball of shit, I can understand.
>>
Will Ippo die a virgin?
>>
>>147074793
>"Ippo, I want you."
>"She wants me? What does she want? I don't understand."
At least he can use brain damage as an excuse now.
>>
>>147074702
He runs his own boxing gym and is set for life. George doing fine.
>>
>>147074604

Didn't the series end around Takamura's match against Eagle? If it did, you should not pick up the manga, there are literally one or two decent matches after them and the story hasn't progressed at all
>>
>>147074604
>mally I would just take the plunge but it's quite long and I don't have a lot of free time to do anime/manga.

It's worth getting into because it's a good series. But if you're going to read Ippo, do it from the beginning or don't bother at all.

The biggest plus is being able to read the matches in one go, along with the build for the actual fights.

>>147074766
>Anyone know what the author's life looks like? If it's a depressing ball of shit, I can understand.

How could you be in an Ippo thread and not know how happy Geogre Morikawa's life is? He's literally living his dream, because he gets paid to write and draw a boxing manga after failing at so many serials.
>>
File: Kojima_closeup.png (46KB, 625x498px) Image search: [Google]
Kojima_closeup.png
46KB, 625x498px
>Worships Ippo
>finally gets his big fight
>over in one punch
>can't even remember it
>wife divorces him and takes the baby
>ends up homeless on the streets

Has any character suffered more than Kojima?
>>
>>147074955
>Didn't the series end around Takamura's match against Eagle? If it did, you should not pick up the manga, there are literally one or two decent matches after them and the story hasn't progressed at all

It did, but it's best to read Ippo from the beginning. Outside the first season, the rest of Hajime no Ippo has had at least more than a few changes, even if the OVA and film did a wonderful job adapting most of it.
>>
>>147074992
Makunouchi "Can't draw a line, not feeling so fine" Ippo
>>
>>147074955
>Didn't the series end around Takamura's match against Eagle?

New Challenger and especially Rising were dog-shit adaptations of the manga. If someone is getting into the series that should start at the beginning or at best, the after the first season.

With the exception of the Young Kamogawa arc, Rising shitted all over every single fight they adapted.
>>
>>147074955
The most recent season ended with Ippo vs Sawamura, and then the flashback to postwar Japan with Kamogawa where he fights the American guy.
>>
>>147070835
I'm not upset that he lost. Gonzales was just better and had the right mindset. Ippo really lacks that later
>>
File: ippo_vol52_pg173.png (188KB, 700x1100px) Image search: [Google]
ippo_vol52_pg173.png
188KB, 700x1100px
>>147075115
>Rising were dog-shit adaptations of the manga

This.

I'm still mad.
>>
>>147075115
I actually liked the changes to Aoki's title fight, the buildup in the manga made it way too obvious what his new move was gonna be.
>>
>>147075115
The Aoki fight in Rising was dog shit? I didn't read the manga but I thought it was hilarious and one of the best parts of the season.
>>
>>147075241
I think the only real butthurt was that it meant the series was going on for 400 more chapters instead of 200
>>
>>147075277
>I actually liked the changes to Aoki's title fight, the buildup in the manga made it way too obvious what his new move was gonna be.

It's shitty that they blatantly point out everything Aoki's doing when the whole fucking point was to show that Aoki is a genius when it comes to crafting.
>>
>>147074992
>>wife divorces him and takes the baby
>>ends up homeless on the streets

wait what?
>>
>>147070835
I was just so glad that it was finally over. It went on for more than a year, I think. It's ridiculous.
>>
>>147075355
>crafting.

*being crafty.

The entire flow of fight was sped-up, whereas the manga made you feel like Aoki was actually losing to Imae, before he started his ruse-cruise.

>>147075304
>The Aoki fight in Rising was dog shit? I didn't read the manga but I thought it was hilarious and one of the best parts of the season.

It was really dumbed down, which defeats the purpose of the entire fight, since Aoki is such sneaky guy when it comes to scheming and anything outside boxing.
>>
File: 1471796345012.jpg (81KB, 960x831px) Image search: [Google]
1471796345012.jpg
81KB, 960x831px
>>147075094
top fucking kek
>>
File: ippo_vol-50_172.png (193KB, 718x1100px) Image search: [Google]
ippo_vol-50_172.png
193KB, 718x1100px
>>147075477
>>147075355

They even skipped the really neat part where Aoki's bullshiting was so good he had Yagi fooled enough to throw in the towel.
>>
>>147075573
>Shinoda doing something
wow
>>
It seems like this series had a great start but it's just become a paycheck to the mangaka and he's going to drag it out until he can retire.
>>
File: ippo the regular.png (461KB, 896x1300px) Image search: [Google]
ippo the regular.png
461KB, 896x1300px
>>147075359
>>
>>147075645
I don't blame the guy, but does he need to drag every single character in the series down with him? Just have Ippo (and crew) fight interesting fights one after the other.
>>
>>147075434

True, but the fight wasn't that bad when read in one go. There were a bunch of really short chapters so it felt like it dragged more than it actually did. At least it was better than the fights against Woli, Gedo or Kojima
>>
>>147075790
I don't think anything can be worse than Woli.

Like, that is a vast threshold
>>
>>147075790
The Kojima fight was great from a character writing and buidup standpoint, even if the whole thing is over in like four pages.
>>
>>147075573
>They even skipped the really neat part where Aoki's bullshiting was so good he had Yagi fooled enough to throw in the towel.

It's little parts like this that made the Look-Away reveal so amazing, in the manga. The anime even skipped its foreshadowing. In general Rising did a lot of stupid changes like that, when those little bits are the series biggest strength.

They even skipped that cool chapter where Ippo nearly gets into a fight with a drunken, because he was so sick with worry over Takamura going blind.

>>147075645
>It seems like this series had a great start but it's just become a paycheck to the mangaka and he's going to drag it out until he can retire.

Does it really seem that way to you? To me, Morikawa is still working a pretty damn high level from both art and narrative, since he's bringing up all this shit with Takamura and now Ippo being damaged, when it's been touched on before.

That he's still working on a weekly schedule and was able to pump out Ipoo Vs Gonzales and Takamura's most match shows the guy really loves his job, especially considering this series has been in serialization since 1989.
>>
>>147075894
>Morikawa is still working a pretty damn high level from both art and narrative, since he's bringing up all this shit with Takamura and now Ippo being damaged, when it's been touched on before.

If anything, Mori has picked of his pace and workload. He's taken sick at least 5 times now, during the run from the Japanese title match, up until now and has had fights Itagaki, Aokimura, Sendo, Vorg, Ippo, Takamura and Miyata.
>>
>>147075880

It might have been great if it actually mattered, but everything about the fight has been forgotten by now and the fight itself was ten chapters of the fighters staring each other down in the ring.
>>
>>147074604
Read it from the beginning. The first anime is a superb adaptation but you end up missing alot of the tyson parrallels and understanding why ippo fights the way he does. Not to mention Rising is pretty shit and completely shits on builds of fights.

As for the quality, you still have sawamura vs mashiba and imai vs itagaki to look forwards to, but it starts dipping the second ippo is turned down from fightng miyata and nosedives after miyata vs randy boy jr. It picks back up during Kojima vs ippo and is back in form for volg's world title fight. So the manga drops at around 850 and picks up close to 1000.

Also fair warning, there's a time period where scan quality is especially poor until before mangastream picks the series up. Pretty much right after ippo vs sawamura up until after miyata vs randy if i recall correctly so about a 100 issue stretch
>>
>>147075260
Man fuck rising, I saw the first two episodes when it first came out and called it quits. They completely changed the meaning of the fight to what it explicitedly said NOT to be and gutted the build up to be. It didnt bode well for the rest of the series as it was actually an important fight.
>>
>>147076173
>>147076414
I had no idea Rising was considered bad. I enjoyed everything about it, although I did think it was the weakest of the three seasons.
>>
>>147075790
The kojima fight was worth it just for that grade A shittalking and everyone reading at the time thinking ippo would and did kill him.
>>
>>147049347
>>147049363
wait what happened to the more oxygen

wouldn't more oxygen in his blood prevent the brain damage?

I thought Coach Kamogawa had a master plan
>>
>>147076057
This is actually Mori's normal pace, for all the meming and shitposting we do on the series its still fucking good and for tge series to go 800+ chapters before hitting a slump is commendable. Its come back strong as of volg's title fight
>>
>>147076568

I agree the shittalking was good, but that's about it. I also remember people thinking Ippo would kill Scratch J back when they fought and it would have been an interesting development, but it ended up being yet another bad fight. It did give us the first glimpse to the perfect dempsey roll though, and it's been ten years now
>>
On a serious note I am so glad all ippos running into punches finally is paying off into serious matters.

Coach literally told him to take punches against super strong people like Osma as a strategy. He didnt even seem resentful about how god awful his training was. There is no reason you should be telling a fighter to take a punch to throw one regardless of the win. If kamogawa isn't kneeling before ippo begging for forgiveness he is dead to me as a person. Ippo was the type of fighter that put all of his faith in Kamogawa and would run into gunfire if the coach told him to.
>>
Jesus what happened recently. Looks like I'll need to catch up soon because the end is nigh.
>>
>>147072701
Mashiba approves
>>
>>147076978
>If kamogawa isn't kneeling before ippo begging for forgiveness
Hahahaha
I greatly doubt this will happen.
>>
>>147076978
Ippo training to dodge punches is damn near all he does, its what all the bopping and weaving shit was originally for, he just gets hit anyway. The problem is he's using a fighting style similar to tyson without tyson's genius. That or he gets hit to make matches more dramatic/not sided in ippo's favor, take your pick.
>>
>>147077091
I know he won't but that's the very least ippo deserves.

>gedo
>woli
>scratch j
>sendo 1 and 2
>date
>mashiba
>sawamura
>osma

How many fights has ippo game plan been to take hits until he can't anymore. Yes Ippo is a tank and a monster but the coach abused that to supplement his awful coaching. He lucked up with an invincible monster in takamura and a juggernaut in ippo. Takamura took way more damage than he should have as well. Him and ippo deserved better
>>
>>147077282
Takamura took heavy damage in hard fought matches, particularly against hawk, training had jack shit to do with that. Anything past that when takamura got hit it was a result of him being an idiot.

And against sendo everyone knew going in it was going to be a slugfest there was no avoiding that, it was called lapalooza for a god damn reason
>>
>>147077430
Coach has the greatest fighter in the world under his thumb. Morikawa has canonically stated that Takamura is the most talented in the world, With Martinez at number 2 and Miyata at number 3

the only reason those matches are that hard is because the coach sucks. Takamura has to go in there and win off sheer talent and guts. All of takamura's fights should look like martinez. instead he has to go in there blind and adjust midway
>>
>>147076822

Think the Bison fight could have been a bit shorter.
>>
>>147077548
Mori said that shit a long ass time ago and even then miyata wasnt even close to third.

And it was pretty much said outright that hawk was the first time takamura fought anyone even remotely close to his level. He was never going to have martinez level stomps against either him or eagle.
>>
>>147077548

Takamura took the match against Hawk on short notice and fought at a wrong weight class, so him having trouble there wasn't Kamogawa's fault. It's not like Takamura's talent was leagues above Hawk's.

Of course Kamogawa could have done better work with Takamura in the later matches, but then there is the eye injury. I doubt even Martinez could beat boxers on Gonzalez's level with one eye
>>
>>147077548
>>147077768
Also to add, the series is pretty inconsistent being able to get any tapes on an opponent at all if they arent within the same nation meaning they can be hard to get a hold of, which probably isnt much of a surprise since its still the 80s. and generally when ippo or takamura are blind the other side has it just as bad.
>>
>>147075704
I don't think that's him.
>>
>>147078036
>look identical
>same outfit
>scar in the exact place Ippo punched him
>both are huge fans of boxing with massive knowledge boxing errata

It'd be weird if it wasn't.
>>
>>147078184

Does that mean that his "gambling" was the gamble on him winning against Impo?
>>
File: ippoandfriends.jpg (19KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
ippoandfriends.jpg
19KB, 259x194px
So does the Author say anything about Volg? I feel like he is the only person that could face Ricardo at this point.
>>
>>147078184
>Everyone thought ippo killed him
>tfw ippo did even worse by taking his wife, children, livelihood,band force him to live on the streets a shadow of his formerself

God damn it ippo you are already a monster, just look at how many people youve already retired.
>>
>>147078321

They aren't even in the same weight class.
>>
>>147078398
I may have my people mixed up. Isn't Volg Featherweight? And Ricardo the best featherweight weight? It has been a while since I read or watched the show.
>>
>>147078488
volg moved up along with mashiba and miyata

he is currently world champ at that weight
>>
>>147078321
Doesnt matter what he says, volg always was better than everyone else in japan, even Date acknowledged if he fought volg instead of ippo he would have been retired. And miyata was never as good as mori wanted to hype him up to be and had to do an asspull to get him out of the RBJ fight a winner. Eitherway volg is in jr lightweight now and the best pound for pound fighter in the series next to takamura and possibly ricardo.

Even Volgs new coach practically said that Kamogawa delivered him a gift from the god on his lap.
>>
>>147078488

Nah, he jumped up to junior lightweight, the same as Kimura.
>>
>>147078536
Miyata is a fucking monster. You seem to downplay him quite a bit. RBJ was his worse matchup and had to be written that way because it was the style that knocked out his dad and ended his career

Now he is over that hurdle he will rape the world stage
>>
Wonder if we ever are going to see some heavyweights in the manga.
>>
File: ippo_.png (305KB, 905x1300px) Image search: [Google]
ippo_.png
305KB, 905x1300px
What did Ippo mean by this? He did use the dempsey against Gonzalez
>>
>>147078609
Vorg would murder miyata
>>
>>147078851
>didnt even beat sendou or ippo

ojousama_laugh.png
>>
>>147078883
>implying Vorg didnt make Sendo his bitch
>it was so bad Mori skipped damn near the entire fight
>>
>>147078842
I was confused by this too. He used it and Gonzales laughed at his fucking face. He even asked Coach for permission to use it during the match.
>>
>>147078883
You say that as if miyata can beat sendo

Miyata? More like Pinata
>>
>>147078851

Miyata is 2fast.
>>
File: 1387023951791.gif (1MB, 336x268px) Image search: [Google]
1387023951791.gif
1MB, 336x268px
Story ends with Ippo's Mother filing a law suit against Kamogawa and shutting the gym down. Ippo works on the fishing boats and eventually falls off due to misjudging direction/distance and drowns. Kumi marries Itagaki.
>>
Million dollar baby ending confirmed
>>
>>147078184
There's a magnitude in difference between their eyebrow thickness though.
>>
>>147076080
How is it forgotten? Kojima is one of the factors that lead to Ippo being like he is now.
>>
>>147079060
miyata didnt even use his speed against sendo and had him perplexed

his smash is the most telegraphed move outside of the frog punch in the manga

he would get countered into oblivion
>>
>>147078536
It's Takamura > Ricardo > Volg.

Doesn't matter though cause in 5 years Woli will rape everyone still alive unless Truck-kun runs him over.
>>
>>147079574
I highly doubt woli will go tontge WBA, At best he'll go to the WBC or fuck off to the WBO or something
>>
>>147079255
Volg wouldnt give two shits about miyata's speed
>>
File: 1445192581225.jpg (69KB, 395x450px) Image search: [Google]
1445192581225.jpg
69KB, 395x450px
>>147049504
>>
>>147079574
I always thought that was bull, woli, itagaki and imae are guaranteed the next champs of the series and woli has no threats besides people like takmura, volg and ricardo
>>
>>147077548
One thing I never understood, why were they surprised by Hawk's unorthodox style? How could they possibly not have fighting videos of a world champion?
>>
>>147080708
Apparently its extremely hard to get tapes in the 80s
>>
>>147080908
On top of that the fight was extremely short notice and hawk iirc had just recently become champ. Was takamura even originally aiming to compete in jr middleweight?
>>
>>147075573
>vol 50 started with chapter 443
Jesus christ, Hajime no Ippo has over 100 volumes?
>>
>>147081382

115, to be exact.
>>
>>147077282

Ippo was always a shit fighter it no technique though so he's getting exactly what his skillet deserves
>>
Can we all agree that Ippo vs Gonzales is so far the best fight in the manga?
>>
>>147082870
That's Kimura versus Mashiba. It's definitely top 5 though.
>>
So are the OP spoilers confirmed? The serious turning almost hilariously dark out of a sudden seems hard to believe for me. And if this is true, I can't imagine an acceptable reason the author can come up with for Ippo to continue fighting, short of Gonzales raping his mom or something.
>>
>>147083110
>The series turning
FTFM
>>
File: 13.png (340KB, 914x1300px) Image search: [Google]
13.png
340KB, 914x1300px
>>147078842
He literally laughed the dempsey roll off
Fucking love Gonzales, S tier character
>>
>>147082870
Ippo vs Sawamura or the second Sendo fight
>>
Let's go through every way to beat the dempsey roll

>step backwards
>go forwards
>counter punch
>run away
>just fucking tanking it

Any I'm forgetting?
>>
>>147078842
Dementia being triggered. He doesn't even realize it.
>>
File: 15.png (413KB, 916x1300px) Image search: [Google]
15.png
413KB, 916x1300px
>>147083420
sway your head slightly to the left
>>
>>147083420
>>147083573
wasnt there something with disrupting the rhythm
>>
File: 10 (1).png (262KB, 900x1300px) Image search: [Google]
10 (1).png
262KB, 900x1300px
All these people talking about it made me reread the fight and man, it really is fantastic. Gonzalez spells out to Ippo why he's fucked before the match even starts.
>>
>>147083755
When will they learn?
>>
>>147082870
Nah, top 8 mayne
>>
>>147082870
Sendo 2, Hawk, Sawamura Ippo, and Vorg's title match were all better. Id argue Ippos defence against sanada and Imai itagaki 2 were better as well.
>>
>>147084914
good taste

are you apart of dynamite glove?
>>
>>147084963
No just a long time reader
>>
>>147084963
So what ever happened to Dynamite Glove?
>>
>>147087290
Pretty sure its still around, just moved boards.
>>
Obviously his inability to draw a straight line is exactly the innovation the Dempsey Roll will need to evolve into the 4th dimension.
>>
>>147088022
Ippo seems to be handling dementia pretty well.

You would think the onset of brain damage would cause either depression or anger
>>
>>147088170
Maybe the Manga will finally catch-up to the Mid-80s/early-90s manga fads, and Ippo's brain damage will unlock PSYCHIC POWERS that he'll use to fight.
>>
>>147076485
I wouldn't say Rising was really that bad, but it seemed like something that was made just for the hell of it. The sound direction is all off and the buildup to a lot of the fights is basically non-existent. All that said though, the Kamogawa/Nekota arc remains my favourite arc in both the anime and manga.
>>
its a shonen guys, he'll get over it or discover it was something else all along and cure him
>>
>>147087290
>>147087994
http://westbound3.proboards.com/

on behalf of everyone, welcome back
kinda
>>
>>147088278
>All that said though, the Kamogawa/Nekota arc remains my favourite arc in both the anime and manga.

Rising is fucking terrible. You can't even count the Young Kamogawa arc, because technically it was originally an OVA that just got tacked onto rising when when Kamogawa's original VA passed away.

Chronologically said arc takes place after New Challenger, that they added it to Rising, after the Madhouse was purchased ended up a happy coincidence as timing goes. It's just sad that it took Nekota's VA also passing away before Rising's run for them to decide to dedicate the series to them.
>>
>>147078842
> Mangastream
>>
>>147093322
Mangastream have been the only people translating this series for close to 300 chapters. I'm not swinging from their sac or anything, but they're the only choice we've got.
>>
>>147094377
What I meant is that there's probably a translation error in the dialogue.
>>
>>147094377
Its the same guy translating since the ignition one days so theres no reason to bitch

I miss snoopy cool though.
>>
>>147094415
In that case you're probably right.
>>
>>147049347

Ive never read this series but

>over 1000 chapters

What the fuck how can you keep a manga interesting for that long, especially a sports manga. Is it the same shit just rehashed over and over?
>>
>>147094561
My favourite fight was the one where Ippo blocked all the punches with his face, nearly fell over, thought of all the guys he'd beaten, remembered that time coach slapped his back, breathed deep and got oxygen into his muscles, then YAMATO DAMASHII punched once or twice until he won.
>>
File: 1423670641098.png (1MB, 1432x2958px) Image search: [Google]
1423670641098.png
1MB, 1432x2958px
>>147094561
Here you go.
>>
>>147078842
>What did Ippo mean by this? He did use the dempsey against Gonzalez

It's exactly as Ippo said. Re-read the previous page. He's talking about the Stop and Go, Dempsey Roll. He's saying if he used it the Stop and Go Dempsey Roll, on Gonzales, like he did to Swamura he would have got his shit punched in.

Ippo was stopped before he even got to that point.

>>147094561
>Ive never read this series but
>
>>over 1000 chapters
>
>What the fuck how can you keep a manga interesting for that long, especially a sports manga. Is it the same shit just rehashed over and over?

Read it for yourself and form your own opinion.

There's no way in hell it could have last as long as it did if it attempted that.
>>
>>147094654
>>147094628

>I posted it again XD
>>
>>147094679
What exactly is wrong with that?
>>
>>147094658
>He's saying if he used it the Stop and Go Dempsey Roll, on Gonzales,

He did use the stop and go dempsey roll on Gonzales.
>>
File: ippo-1147-0007.jpg (1MB, 2150x3040px) Image search: [Google]
ippo-1147-0007.jpg
1MB, 2150x3040px
>>147094415
>>147094712
>Even when I used the Dempsey Roll in the match against Gonzales,
>I was certain that I would be knocked out.
>>
>>147094712
>He did use the stop and go dempsey roll on Gonzales.

You're absolute right. I completely forgot about that part, it was right around where Ippo exhausted all his techniques in his repertoire.

>>147094891

So this is an instance of them phrasing the statement wrong?
>>
>>147094953
Probably, it happens. Dont expect Mangastream to put out a V2 however.
>>
>>147094953
Yeah; doesn't happen often. It's just a super minor difference that changes the phrase; I wouldn't really blame them. Actually, I just caught myself with a mistake in what I wrote there. It's more like:
>Had I continued to use the Dempsey Roll in the match against Gonzales,
>I'm sure I would have been knocked out.

Fucking 11 language
>>
>>147095247
Mangastream puts out V2s if people make a big enough stink about it, especially if it's something that can be fixed easily like that.

They've done it for Tokyo Ghoul and even SnS more than a few times when there's been translation errors.
>>
>>147095247
>>147095278

Despite all the flack Mangastream gets about it's other translations, Ippo's has always been the most consistent, since they kept |-O's translator when they took over the project.

>>147095361

Someone should let them know so there won't be any future confusion, especially since I believe there's a guy on Dynamite Glove's forums who was collecting the weekly Ippo chapters for when the tank release, for archving purposes.
>>
>>147073505
>can't see how they'll just justify Ippo fighting anymore, unless Gonzales rapes his mom or something

kek
>>
File: borsalehhhh.jpg (108KB, 807x858px) Image search: [Google]
borsalehhhh.jpg
108KB, 807x858px
>>147049504
>>
File: kamogawa_sorry.png (50KB, 188x378px) Image search: [Google]
kamogawa_sorry.png
50KB, 188x378px
>>147049347
>>147049363
Love to hate this guy.
>>
>>147068791

Aoki and Vorg don't fight people while they are still unconscious.

Remember that Ippo doesn't remember how the last round or so of Dante or Gonzales fights ended and had to be told/shown.

He was also taking undefended punches to the face when fighting Sawamura.
>>
>>147079574

I rate Ricardo higher than Takamura simply because he's an all around fighter that doesn't rely on tanking punches. Also still salty about Taka's fights with Eagle and Bison.
>>
>>147098179
From a practical perspective, I wouldn't be surprised if like half the lasting damage came from the Sawamura fight.
>>
>>147068791
Same reason Ali got parkinsons and foreman or Frasier doesnt
Thread posts: 267
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.